main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Friendly Reminder From Your Neighborhood Indexer

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Lonewolf89, Nov 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    As some of you know, I maintain the index for the Beyond the Saga forum's New Story Index. As I've been updating, I've noticed that many authors don't give a lot of information about their fics in their threads. Because of this, I'm not able to post much info about their story.

I know some newer board members use the Index to catch up on fan fiction, and it would be great if we could give them a good resource to work from. So, while you may forget to post information about your fic in your thread, if you could get it to me via PM, I would be happy to add it to your story's entry.

Thanks, folks. I appreciate the effort, and I know Index users will appreciate it too. ;)

2. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    I'm so glad you posted that Lonewolf. I'm the indexer for the Before forum and that's something I've noticed as well. Please everyone take a note and add all the information in your first post. It makes our jobs much much easier :)

3. Obi-Wan_Siri_Index

Obi-Wan_Siri_Index Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2004
    Actually , as someone who maintains a pairing index thread, it would be great if people would use the format suggested at the beginning of all of their stories. It would mean the difference between getting in an index or not.

As a reminder the format is as follows:

Title:
    Author(s):
    Timeframe:
    Characters:
    Genre:
    Keywords:
    Summary:
    Notes:

Not every one of these catagories needs to be filled out, but it is helpful if most of them are. This format is convenient for all readers, as well, and it could also mean more readers for the writer if they know what the story is about.

I would strongly encourage writers to include this information at the beginning of all their stories.

4. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I was dying for something like this to be posted when I was taking care of the Saga Index. Nothing drives an Index Keeper more crazy when an author only provides you with the title for information about their story. Good reminder, Lonewolf89. ;)

5. Jaina_Solo_15

Jaina_Solo_15 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 5, 2002
    As the current Saga Indexer I would also like to say that it is greatly appreciated when this is added to the beginning of a new story. It's definitely a big help. :)

6. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    Eeck, I will remeber that in the future. :)

7. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    I'm glad you said something too Lonewolf. You don't know how many times I've had to "N/A" in summary because people don't give a summary of what their stories are about. I can't read everything.

~aeryn

8. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    OOPS! I am guilty of this and will try to do much better in the future! Sorry...

9. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Giving this thread a boost :)

10. MistiWhitesun

MistiWhitesun Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    I always wondered why some people did those. :)

Thanks. I now have a skeleton I fill out at the top of my fics whenever I write them.

Thanks for the time you donate to indexing! :)

---"Misti"

11. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I admit it! I was one of those who never included this information at the top of my first post. However, I mended my ways and now I would love to ask others to please put that info there! It not only makes the indexer's job easier (as I've just discovered) but it makes sure that the information you want as a writer is listed. I would love to include everything pertinent about each story when I index it so that you can get all those readers who are interested in that type of story.

[face_praying]

Thank you so much!

12. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    Upping this thread for all to see!

*scurries off to do much needed history*

[face_good_luck]

13. Moff_Yittreas

Moff_Yittreas Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 21, 2004
    I added that format to my story. Here's the link if you need it.

http://boards.theforce.net/Beyond_the_Saga/b10477/18072808

P.S. Never, ever will I try to manually input that link again. :p

14. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    Upping this thread . . . because I can!

But seriously, folks, include the information. The indexers will love you for it. :)

- lazy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.