main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Funny Thing Happened At School Today With Regards To SW Lit

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Isbeth, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    I thought I would post this story as it might just brighten your day. It did mine. :)

After my students watched "Searching For Black Holes" today, they worked on definitions, important people and questions. When they finished, one kid, named Joey went to the back of my classroom where all the SW books are and grabbed one to read and said, "The best part of this class is when I finish my work I can read some new SW book in the back. I have really grown to love the EU!" :) [face_love]

Let's just say I am here to corrupt the purists. One student at a time! [face_devil] [face_laugh]

2. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Excellent! Soon young Joey will be one of us!

3. Jedi_Loon

Jedi_Loon Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 15, 2002
    Its like a virus...but a god one(if thats possible)...First Joey then his friend and then his friend and then, and then and thenandthenandthenandthen. This is great I hope the books continue for his sake.

4. Isbeth

Aug 28, 2001
    Young Joey is already one of us! Hark, he is lurking among us now, and there is more. There is a kid in the library right as I type this, waiting for his sister at basketball practice, who asked if he could borrow Destiny's Way to read while he waited, 'cuz he left his copy home. And I don't even have this kid for class. Word is out. :) Kinda gets you right here. :_| Gee, I hope he brings it back, I haven't read it yet. [face_worried]

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Excellent! Soon young Joey will be one of us!

One of us! One of us! One of us!

6. Jedi_Horn_888

Jedi_Horn_888 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2002
    (Mr Burns voice) Excellent, Smithers...

You should introduce him to this board sometime. EDIT: Damn this slow internet connection! You already have.

What SW books do you have on display?

Horn out

7. Isbeth

Aug 28, 2001
    All the JA and JQ, all of the X-wing books, A lot of NJO. Splinter, I think I have three of those. Some YJK books, but not all of them. I. Jedi Some other teachers brought in copies 'cus they know I keep them here.

8. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    Recently I've been telling someone in one of my classes a good deal about the Yuuzhan Vong as he is a SW fan but knows little of the EU and finds the Vong interesting.

The disease spreads....

9. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    Im guessing you teach a type of science or astrology, Isbeth? I suggest you should make each and every one of your students pick an xwing book or something that has some informational value regarding space and all that in them so they can debate on all of the technological and philisofical ideas that are presented in the books in class. It would be educational for them, kinda, and it bring more people to the infinite greatness that is Star Wars...
    I wouldnt be able get anyone to read at my school, since they all think that reading is the stupidest thing in the world, and theyd probably rather eat their own puke then pick up a book, any book, and just sit down to read for pleasure. It actually sickens me to find my generation is so naive. (How do you do the two little dots above the i in that word?)

10. Isbeth

Aug 28, 2001
    Darth Bobbalot, it is astronomy not astrology . If it were astrology I would be lying to people in order to make megabucks! Sigh, I have my work cut out for me!

11. DarthBobbalot

Mar 5, 2002
    Gah... i had a brain fart. Sorry. What IS astrology, anyway?

12. Warlord_Ken

Warlord_Ken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2000
    Astrology is the using of constellations and stellar patterns to make predictions and prognosticate. It's not an official science, I don't think.

Btw, as wonderful as SW books are I would hesitate to actually teach off of them. The science of SW doesn't exactly conform with the science that we Earthlings know.

13. Isbeth

Aug 28, 2001
    Astrology is bunk and hogwash. I have no problem with reading an EU book after work is done, but let's not get carried away here. The Universe is a vast place.....

14. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    We sound like some kinda cult the way we're talking here. Join us....it's bllliiiiiissssssss :p

15. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Here's your death stick...and welcome to the Bando Gora.

Please form in the line to the left.

16. mmirales

mmirales Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2002
    I wish my Astronomy teacher liked SW. I think he's more into the stars...*would explain why he became a Astronomy teacher...

Anyway i don't think any of my teachers like SW. I know my english teacher...Ms. Westlake...was like "Another SW book Mike?!" So i think i'm gonna keep doing them for book discussions just to annoy her :p .

And keep up the good work on recruiting people into our world!! Muhahahahaha!

There is a new kid in school...i gotta find out if he like's SW. If not i'll let him borrow a book. Hehehehe.

17. Jedi_Alea

Jedi_Alea Jedi Youngling

Oct 14, 2002
    I'm a first year teacher, and work at a school where all of the students are encouraged to read 25 books a year (ones on their reading level). Of course, the students get fun incentives every 9 weeks! Anyways, I've seen a few of the middle schoolers (junior high kids) who've been carrying around YJK or JQ books. I think it's pretty cool to see what these kids read, and nice to know future EU fans are out there!

18. mmirales

Jun 14, 2002
    In junior high i was reading the big novels , NJO etc but i don't even get credit for it now. Teachers think since it's sw it's not worth it...so i read John Grisham and they said read Tale of Two Cities Blah!

19. DarthBobbalot

Mar 5, 2002
    I read the lord of the rings book in 5th grade... I love to read. It sickens me how much people over where i am dont like, no, they HATE to read. It just doesnt make sence to me. All they like to do is play Halo all day long...

20. starwars6554

starwars6554 Jedi Master star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Nobody at my old middle school appreciates Star Wars books. In the library, they had the Truce at Bakura, and the Thrawn Trilogy. Anyway, we had this reading program where you read a book and then took a quiz on it to get a certain amount of points. If you got a 10 out of 10, then you'd get a free pizza and drink at the Pizza Bakery. None of the Star Wars books had tests on them. So I asked the librarian if there were any tests she could download, because Star Wars books are really the only books I read, so she looked, but there weren't any. :(

I was bummed because I really wanted a free pizza.

But at my high school, there's a girl that I know that's reading Destinys Way right now, and she's the vice-president of the Star Wars club. So, the word is getting out!

21. mmirales

Jun 14, 2002
    I know Halo is a cool game, but as an avid halo player :p i think you need to take a break every now and then...and it's really hard to do Halo all the time, sometimes after reading a book for twenty minutes a day is enough to play Halo the rest of the time...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.