main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Galaxy in a Hundred Words--Drabble Challenge Responses, Week 5--Luke Skywalker

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by SakuraTsukikage, Sep 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SakuraTsukikage

SakuraTsukikage Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2005
    Title: A Galaxy in a Hundred Words
    Author: SakuraTsukikage
    Timeframe: all Saga, only Saga
    Characters: various
    Disclaimer: No matter what, they're not mine.
    Notes: Well, here we go. I'm going to have to work fast to catch up to the rest of you guys; luckily I seem to have tons of ideas. Well, here we go!

Week 1--Anakin

Beginnings
    Anakin peers carefully into the mirror, barely recognizing the boy that looks back at him. No longer the dusty slave boy from Tatooine; his sun-streaked hair cut short except for the braid that dangles behind his ear, his ragged tunic replaced with neat Jedi robes. He wonders what mom would think if she could see him now, all dressed up like a Jedi Padawan. He wonders if, somewhere, Master Qui-Gon is proud of him. He wonders if Padmé?Queen Amidala?will look at him differently.

He wonders if someday he?ll feel like a Jedi instead of just looking like one.

Middles
    Padmé always smells like flowers, like the meadow where they?d picnicked what feels like so long ago now. Just a hint of her scent has clung stubbornly to his outer robe from the last time he was on Coruscant. Anakin sits in a dirty prefabricated cube of a shelter, the sounds of battle ringing in his ears and the scent of dust and blood and death stinging his nostrils, and buries his face in the rough, scratchy cloth, trying to hold onto the memories that faint whiff of her perfume evokes, memories of softness and laughter and light and love.

Ends
    Fire is greedy, never satisfied, never content, always burning, destroying, devouring. Fire is treacherous and dangerous?all around him, shimmering in his throat, his lungs, his heart. Everything Anakin sees is fire, everything painted in shades of red, from dark shadows to blindingly brilliant heat. Even the figure walking away from him, giving him his back, is nothing so much as leaping flames in front of feverish eyes. Anakin tries to call out, tries to scream, but no sound leaves his cracked throat. He is dying, and Obi-Wan is leaving him. This is the end.

Darkness. Anakin Skywalker is dead.

First
    The first thing Darth Vader sees when he opens his eyes, when, slowly, his vision focuses to rid him of the lingering images of flame that dance across them, is the face of his new master. He sees every detail in horrific clarity, every wrinkle and fold of tortured, pasty flesh, every sickly shade of the yellow eyes, every subtle contour of the expression that twists those features, so full of hollow concern. He and his master have both gone through an apotheosis into something terrible. Nothing can change that now, for he looks into the face of his future.

Last
    The last things Darth Vader sees are the eyes of his son, the same far-away blue of the skies of Tatooine. Blue, like the blade of his lightsaber so very long ago, like the shimmering waterfalls of Naboo. He sees himself in those eyes, the way he used to look, tall and strong and proud, sees the trembling moisture of tears. His son is crying, crying for him. He doesn?t want him to cry, but he can?t seem to say anything more. Beyond the tears he thinks he sees more blue, friends and loved-ones long gone. He closes his eyes.

2. Qui-Dawn

Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2000
    Oh.... *whimpers* *cries* That's it, my dear, you've done it, you've absolutely done it *all* over again....fair wrenched my heart right out of my chest, you have....I literally whimpered aloud, more than once, as I was reading these drabbles of yours....it's just....I....*oh*.... Beautiful as always, though, honey - simply beautiful, poignant, bittersweet, aching and tender and rawly real....this, though, is of course only what we've come to naturally expect from you, because it's *always* what you deliver, big-time! :) *reads back over the Ani-drabble* *sniff* *cries again*

Dawn.

3. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Beautifully done. "Middles" was heartbreaking and so vivid in imagery. I could really see him, holding on to that precious reminder.

Lovely! Can't wait for more. =D=

4. SakuraTsukikage

Oct 24, 2005
    Qui-Dawn: Thanks so much! [face_blush] I only realized after finishing them how sad the first set were, but somehow they just seemed to fit. Thank you again! [:D]

divapilot: Thank you! I think that one is my favorite too.

Here's the second week! (I'm slowly catching up with everyone :p.) These ones are all based around the relationship between Luke, Han, and Leia in the Original Trilogy movies.
    And here they are.

Hours
    ?For your information, Captain Solo,? Leia?s voice travels into the hold with piercing clarity, ?I am perfectly capable of taking care of myself.?

?Oh yeah?? Han?s retort is quick and acidic, as if to take more than a few seconds to reply would be admitting defeat. ?I?ll bet you?ve never so much as broken a nail through hard work in your life, your Highness.?

Luke sighs to himself. Hours at most since they left the Death Star and already they?re fighting like a pair of sand panthers.

This trip to Yavin looks like it?s going to be a long one.

Days
    A few days ago, he was just a farm-boy on Tatooine who dreamt far-away dreams. Now, he?s a hero of the Rebellion, the pilot who destroyed the Death Star, a Jedi-in-training. In a few days, he?s lost everyone and everything he?s ever known.

But a few days ago, Leia was a powerful and respected Imperial Senator. Now she is the only remaining royal of a dead planet, a hunted rebel leader. Even Han?a few days ago, the only thing he cared about was paying off his debts, but he hasn?t left the Alliance yet.

At least Luke?s not alone.

Weeks
    Was it just weeks ago that he?d picked up an old man, a boy, and two droids in a cantina on Tatooine? Han can?t believe it as he leans against the Falcon and watches that same kid prep his x-wing for take off. In just a few weeks, the naïve farm-boy has become an efficient, experienced pilot.

Han feels someone come up beside him, but doesn?t bother to look?already, he?d know that t?il blossom perfume anywhere. Leia doesn?t say anything, but Han doesn?t mind her company, though he?ll never admit it.

A lot can change in a few weeks.

Months
    It?s been months since Han was frozen in carbonite, but a lot of the time Leia still can?t believe it really happened. She still keeps expecting to hear his teasing voice behind her, to turn round to see his insolent smirk grinning at her out of those roguish features that have become so familiar. She keeps expecting Luke to give her his old bright, farm-boy smile, but Luke?s been quiet and withdrawn ever since Cloud City, and he?s only now starting to smile again. Leia?s had months to adjust, but she can?t. She wants her family back. Both of them.

Years
    It?s been years since he left Tatooine, since he?d exclaimed over the ill-repair of an old Corellian freighter, been called ?a little short for a stormtrooper.? Those years have brought many changes, some for the better and some perhaps for worse?Luke flexes his mechanical right hand automatically. He has gained a father and lost him, gained power and realized that with it only comes pain.

Through it all, the cocky smile of a Corellian smuggler and the proud gaze of an Alderaanian princess have stayed beside him. Luke looks into the flames of an Ewok celebration fire, and smiles.

5. SakuraTsukikage

Oct 24, 2005
    Week Three, up--The Jedi Purge.

Gray
    Gray is the matte silver walls of the Chancellor?s private office. There is nothing in them to suggest black or white, right or wrong; they are smooth, completely featureless. If one looks into them long enough they capture the eye, until you are falling into the smoky depths of the gray, the color all you can see even after you turn away.

Anakin tries to look anywhere but at the Chancellor, anywhere at all, but his eyes keep falling on those shadowy, unremarkable gray walls, and he can?t remember not to listen to Palpatine?s words.

Anakin is drowning in gray.

Blue
    Blue is the blade of Anakin?s lightsaber, always scintillating, always burning, a fire brighter and colder than the one he feels forever smoldering in his heart. It is an unforgiving weapon, a dangerous one. It kills elegantly, blazing away any mess. Elegant.

Obi-Wan would have said civilized.

There is nothing civilized about the use Anakin puts it to now. And for every victim it swings through, ending their life quickly, cleanly, easily, the blood it burns away, the blood Anakin?s targets can never shed, seem to stain the shimmering blade a sanguinary red. His lightsaber will never be blue again.

White
    White is the snows of Mygeeto. They cover the planet in a dancing blanket of endless, stinging white flakes, whipped into swirling gusts and eddies by the wind. For eons they have done so, for Mygeeto is an old world, with only a banked fire still smoldering beneath its icy granite crags. They will continue to do so for eons more, uncaring, taking no notice of the transient dramas playing out on the windswept landscape beneath them. What do they care for betrayal and terror and death, of a trust shattered? The snows continue their wailing journey all the same.

Red
    Red is the fires of Mustafar. Volcanic, dynamic, hungry. Mustafar is a world of passions, of battles, as the earth itself engages in tearing itself to pieces as if in some never-ending terrestrial rage. It is a place where even the skies are streaked with darkness and anger, where ties are broken and loyalties consumed only to be reborn forged into a new shape, like the hot lava spurting from the ground will eventually cool, coalescing and hardening.

Brother fights against brother, hero against hero, and all around them the earth spurts red-hot fire, forging the path of the future.

Black
    Black is the color of Dark Vader?s mask. Gone are the laughing blue eyes, the sun-streaked golden hair, even the angry yellow of a warrior?s dark fury. They are gone, for the man they belonged to is dead, a charred, blackened shell of his former self. Black is all that remains, for it has consumed all the others, replaced them with eternal, echoing darkness. Even the red of fire and pain is gone, dulled into the chill of cold shadows. Where there was once light and life, there is now darkness and death. And nothing but the black is left.

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    How did I miss these!? :oops:

I've only read the first post, so I'll comment only on that one and come back later to comment on the others.

My favorite:

Padmé always smells like flowers, like the meadow where they?d picnicked what feels like so long ago now. Just a hint of her scent has clung stubbornly to his outer robe from the last time he was on Coruscant. Anakin sits in a dirty prefabricated cube of a shelter, the sounds of battle ringing in his ears and the scent of dust and blood and death stinging his nostrils, and buries his face in the rough, scratchy cloth, trying to hold onto the memories that faint whiff of her perfume evokes, memories of softness and laughter and light and love.

Absolutely perfect! =D=

Could you PM when you update these so I don't miss any? [face_praying]

7. Libbie1138

Libbie1138 Jedi Youngling

Sep 11, 2006
    Wow such wonderful drabbles! I especially enjoyed week three's use of colors. I think Gray and Blue were my favorites. I'd like to be on the PM list also for when you update these :)

8. SakuraTsukikage

Oct 24, 2005
    Readers! [:D] [face_dancing]

VaderLVR64: They're sneaky ninja drabbles. [face_shhh] :p I liked that one, myself. And of course I will!

Libbie1138: Thank you! It was very interesting, doing the colors for week three. PM list it is!

9. SakuraTsukikage

Oct 24, 2005
    Week Four, up--Han Solo! These were a blast to write :D. I've never really explored Han's character before, and it's always fun to try new and different things.

Friends
    He doesn?t trust him. Trust is a rare commodity in Han Solo?s world, rarer still between those who call themselves friends. But he and Lando go way back. Years, even. There aren?t a lot of people who Han can say he?s known that long. Maybe Chewie and Lando are the only ones. Most people, either Han got tired of them or they got tired of him way before now. He won the Falcon from Lando. Surely he?ll help him and Chewie and Leia out of a tight spot now, the old flirt.

Yeah, he and Lando Calrissian are friends. Right?

Enemies
    He doesn?t get along with the princess. Sure, she?s attractive enough, he supposes. Flashing brown eyes, delicate features, rich chestnut hair?she?s definitely his idea of . . . wait.

Sure, he respects her. How could he not? She?s one of the bravest, most dedicated women he?s ever . . . no.

He doesn?t get along with Leia Organa. Every time they talk, it seems to explode into an argument. Either she takes offense at something he says, or something she says gets under his skin, and they retreat behind drawn battle lines. He and Leia Organa are enemies.

Yeah.

Lovers
    He doesn?t know why the thought bothers him so much. Sure, she said she loved him. Twice. But those were the kind of situations where you say things like that. And he didn?t say it back. It?s not like either of them have professed their undying devotion to each other. It makes sense that she and Luke would be . . . he?s been out for a whole year, it?s not like he can blame them. Leia likes nice men, and if anyone?s nice, Luke is. But still, he?how can she talk to Luke about something, and not him?

Family
    He?s never had a family. He knows he was born on Corellia, but that?s about it. He can?t remember anything about his parents. He doesn?t care to try. Maybe they died, maybe they just abandoned him. Either way, they?re gone, and they always have been. It?s in his name?Solo. Han?s always been on his own. He likes it that way.

So at first he?s wary of the Wookiee?s insistence on repaying his life debt. He tries to tell?Chewbacca??that he doesn?t owe him anything, but he doesn?t listen.

In time, Han realizes that now he has a family.

Strangers
    The first time he sees the old man and the farmboy, he knows they?re trouble. Two strangers looking as out of place in the seedy cantina as a dewback on Mon Calamari?of course they come talk to him. It?s not just the money that gets him to agree to take them to Alderaan, it?s something to do with the old man?s steady gaze and quiet gravity of presence, the pain behind the youthful hope of the kid?s blue eyes. As Han leaves the cantina, a weird feeling runs down his spine, as if these strangers will change him forever.

10. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    I'm pacing myself! :p Loved the second post as much as I did the first! I can't wait get caught up! :D

It?s been years since he left Tatooine, since he?d exclaimed over the ill-repair of an old Corellian freighter, been called ?a little short for a stormtrooper.? Those years have brought many changes, some for the better and some perhaps for worse?Luke flexes his mechanical right hand automatically. He has gained a father and lost him, gained power and realized that with it only comes pain.

Through it all, the cocky smile of a Corellian smuggler and the proud gaze of an Alderaanian princess have stayed beside him. Luke looks into the flames of an Ewok celebration fire, and smiles

I THINK that was my favorite from that group, but if you ask me again in an hour I may find another moved me even more. Either way, excellent! =D=

11. SakuraTsukikage

Oct 24, 2005
    Thanks so much! I look forward to your catching up, too! I had a lot of fun with Week Two. :D

12. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Meep! Okay, yes, admittedly I know I'm playing a bit of a game o' catch-up here, in checking out and responding to your awesome drabble ficage, but hey....just wanted to mention that I really *greatly* liked your second batch, for starters, the ones focussing more on Han, Luke and Leia, varying events from their own points of view....little snapshots of life, moments in time, yet still you manage to convey *so* wonderfully, vividly much with even but such relative few words said....hmmmmmm, however do you manage it, anyway? ;) *chortling gleefully* But, yes - certainly I felt you made it even more easy to....connect with the trio there, truth be told, to have that strong sense of who they are and what they're all about....it really affords that lovely little peek into their hearts and souls, I mean - all three of them, actually, at those varying points in time....little instances or fleeting glimpses which yet still manage to convey that wealth and world of feeling and meaning....

Even such seemingly "little" drabbles, then, clearly giving us *such* a fine, close glimpse into their lives and the situations we know they're finding themselves in....drabbles which still so wonderfully well convey such a heckuva lot, to be sure....Luke's loneliness, transmuting to ultimately a sense of peace....Leia being, as usual, every inch the royal spitfire who yet still manages to touch that softness in Han - who, in turn, for how much he prides himself on being a smuggler and not a nice man....still, then, he very much *is* a nice man....where it counts, when he most needs to be. It's like....this is the window upon their very souls, I guess you could say, that your drabbles afford them, and certainly who knows but what it only gives even greater, still deeper and more enjoyable insight into them as people - even these litlte snapshots in time, just pieces of the greater whole of their lives....if you know what I mean. :)

So-o, then, yes....suffice it to say, very much loved this second set o' drabbles, for sure and certain....my own personal bailiwick, as well you know, darlin', may and in fact is the PT, natch ;) - still, though, for all that, I'm greatly loving your characterizations of Han, Luke and Leia....right spot on the proverbial money, you are, and....more, please....we want more drabble-age....more? ;) :D I mean, hey, in a *heartbeat* will I take even your drabble ficage over the full-length works of most others, I *know* you already knew that, but still.... :)

Dawn.

13. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    These are exquisite. If you were singing instead of writing, you'd shatter glass!

Favorites:

From Months:

She keeps expecting Luke to give her his old bright, farm-boy smile, but Luke?s been quiet and withdrawn ever since Cloud City, and he?s only now starting to smile again. Leia?s had months to adjust, but she can?t. She wants her family back. Both of them.

You've captured how deeply the three of them had been damaged by what unfolded that day. Beautiful, and Leia's POV is perfect here.

from Blue:

And for every victim it swings through, ending their life quickly, cleanly, easily, the blood it burns away, the blood Anakin?s targets can never shed, seem to stain the shimmering blade a sanguinary red. His lightsaber will never be blue again.

And all of White. That one took my breath away. Intense!

The Han Solo ones were inspired. =D=

Absolutely wonderful work. Could you send me a PM so I won't get behind again?;)

14. Libbie1138

Libbie1138 Jedi Youngling

Sep 11, 2006
    Oooh I think strangers was my favorite this week! I'd have to copy/paste the whole thing if I wanted to show my favorite part. Really excellent insight there. Marvelous job!

15. SakuraTsukikage

Oct 24, 2005
    Qui-Dawn: Catch up is fine! I'm glad you enjoyed them, even though the OT isn't your usual thing. I had a lot of fun with Luke, Han, and Leia, I have to say. I really enjoyed exploring their relationship in these. :D

divapilot: Thank you! [face_blush] And as a bit of a singer myself, I can appreciate your metaphor ;).

You've captured how deeply the three of them had been damaged by what unfolded that day. Beautiful, and Leia's POV is perfect here.

Thanks so much! That's really what I wanted to get across--I always get the feeling from the end of ESB, and that's what I wanted to explore.

And all of White. That one took my breath away. Intense!

I'm really glad you liked it--White was my favorite! I liked the distance in it, but I tried to put the intensity in despite that, and through it. Glad to hear it worked! And Han was just too fun ;).

Libbie1138: Thanks so much! I had a great time with that one.

And here's Week Five--Luke Skywalker ;).

Smell
    It?s the smell that hits him first, slamming into his senses like a laser blast. All his life, Luke?s smelled only the blasted heat of sky and sand?even after leaving Tatooine, there?s only been the recycled air and clean, metallic tang of starships and space stations. Yavin 4 is everything different?lush, filled with life and depth and sweetness and color. Wet. The water is in the very air, he can smell it, along with the scent of jungle flowers and earth and verdant growth. It?s almost too much, and he has to swallow hard and close his eyes.

Sound
    The distinctive droning hum of the lightsaber seems to fill his head, vibrating in his ears, his brain. It?s all Luke can hear; he hadn?t realized how loud it is until he was no longer allowed to see. The Force seems to dance away from him, so that only the sound of the lightsaber is left. His father?s lightsaber. His father was a Jedi?Luke is still getting used to the idea. He tries to turn, the follow the path of the remote, but he can?t hear it over the sound of the weapon.

He will become a Jedi, too.

Touch
    He?s still adjusting to it. Leia is warm under his arm, against his side, her presence comforting in body and through the Force, but where his right hand rests over the curve of her shoulder, there is a strange distance between reality and feeling. The mechanical hand is wired to feel, of course, but it?s not the same; everything feels processed, programmed. It?s no longer his touch. Now it?s the touch of something else, something other.

It?s as if Vader has become part of him now, too. Luke lifts his hand away. He can?t touch her anymore. Not with this.

Taste
    The truth is, Yoda?s stew is disgusting. Luke?s eaten a lot of unappetizing food in his time, but this is just . . . . Sometimes he thinks the little Jedi Master is testing him with it.

Tonight, Luke is too tired to eat. Every muscle in his body is trembling with weariness; even his heart seems to ache with despair. He?s a failure as a Jedi, is that what his vision in the cave means?

Yoda?s staff pokes him in the shin. ?Eat,? the Jedi Master says. ?Need strength, you do.?

Luke obeys dully?somehow, tonight it tastes good.

Sight
    He can?t believe his eyes at first; it must be a trick of the firelight, his own exhaustion, both emotional and physical, playing tricks on him. But even as he stares, the images become clearer?that is Ben, weathered face and thinning hair and all, and he can see the wrinkles on Yoda?s face, only he could have those ears. As Luke watches, another figure joins them, young and handsome, with a wry tilt to his brow. He smiles hesitantly at the other Jedi, at Luke, and Luke realizes who he?s seeing. This is his father. And he smiles back.

16. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    Sake ~

I jumped up and down when you started this thread, I can?t believe I took this long to actually get over here! :oops: Good thing you updated today to remind me!

Week 1: Anakin
    Beginnings - I so rarely see this moment of uncertainty depicted in fanfic (of course, I rarely read young Anakin fics :p) that I especially enjoyed seeing it here. How different must it have been? Just looking in a good mirror, being clean? And with good robes and shoes? Loved the last line esp.

Firsts and Last ? I loved the symmetry in these two! Beautifully done. Loved Vader?s waking and dying thoughts. And esp his lack of voice in both.

Week 2: Hero Trio
    Hours ? I was going to generalize replies, but I just can?t! I LOVED ?hours? too much! (still snickering at poor Luke?s predicament)
    Days ? Wow. I never thought about it that way. I love it when an author shifts my own POV!
    Weeks ? Loved the detail of the perfume. Scent always draws me in way the other senses can?t.
    Months ? She wants her family back. Both of them. omg. Coming from Leia, that is heartwrenching. She lost two families in how long? ?sniff-
    Years ? Nice way to sum up. :)

Week 3: Jedi Purge
    I loved all the colors but Blue and Black the most. Black gave me shivers, the image of lava cooling into black rock ? smooth and pitiless. ?shivers again-

Week 4: Han Solo
    LOL@ them all. I just can?t pick a favorite! I was going to do Han in Beyond, but now I?m not sure that I can compete?. I esp loved ?enemies?.

Week 5: Luke
    Smell ? Have I said recently how much I love scent being used it writing? :*
    Touch ? Oh wow. Now, I had an inkling of what you were going to write but even so you ?wow?ed me! I would have never thought to had that last bit of thought in the end, not wanting to touch Leia now that Vader was part of him.
    Taste ? [face_laugh] Trial by cooking!
    Sight ? Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Wonderful, wonderful job, Sake! =D=

Zonoma

17. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Eeeeeeeeee, more drabble-age, *fabulous*! :D *is hugely tickled* Ne'er a better gift could be had or ever asked for hereabouts, I figure....and, hey, I've said it before and quite gladly and heartily will I say it again here, dearie - I simply *love* and adore and appreciate, and get *so* much more out of, even your drabbles than, well, oher full-length ficage....I mean, there's just *so* much in your drabbles, you know, you really do pack 'em tight with a wealth of emotion and intensity, pure solid impact and a real sense of the personal, for sure and certain....and of course, as usual, you do have this wondrous gift for the vivid, breathtaking imagery, certainly, sometimes tragic and heartwrenching, other times poignant and bittersweet, other times hellacious and yet still just as tragic for it....just reminds me all the more, I can't help but feel, that even your drabble-age has in it simply more heart, visceral emotion, lyrical and powerful imagery, than most other full-length fics I've ever read. :)

Kudos to you, my dear....*kudos*, all the way, absolutely! :) And then too, well, you know that as a matter of course I just devotedly, loyally hang on your every written word, as 'twere, and perhaps really can't ever get enough....more, please....I want some more....ahem. ;) Now, then, to the drabble-age, then - and, actually, I was just reading back over your "Purges" ones, sweetie, and can I just say....oh, simply *awesome*, as usual, to be sure - really excellent work there, positively stellar, that's what....especially with the use of the element of colour to denote events and emotion....like in the first one, "Grey", *oh*....it just twisted my heart up for Anakin all over again, right there, to think of how everything that met his eyes in that office, at that time, was only chill and grey and distinctly lifeless, smoke and shadows, really....how he was even trying to look anywhere but at Palpatine....not wanting to listen, but unable to prevent it....oh, my poor Ani.... *whimpers*

So-o, yeah....even right off the bat, then, you were clearly doing wonders to basically just - rip out my heart in an instant, I suppose....aahhhhhh, yes, nobody does it better, then, clearly. ;) Brava, my dear! *wry chuckle* But then, yes, you only further explored the theme with....the blue of his lightsaber, and how to his eyes it would really never be pristine blue again - how to him, in the end, it could perhaps seem only forever stained with innocent blood, and how even to look at it would haunt him terribly, mercilessly, from then on....looking at it, yet only seeing the red of blood....oh, my poor *baby*.... *sniff* And then, too....that you also took the colour theme to the white, pristine snows and skies of Mygeeto....white, a shade or hue so pure, so cool and remote, so very far-removed and untouched by the terrible betrayal and horror that took place on that world....*brilliantly* done, dearie, as per usual! :)

And yet then, in the end, taking it right back to....the red of Mustafar, the red and then the blackness, nothing but a black void, lost of all colour or shade, lost even of the deep, hellish reds and golds of lava and sky and even a frenzied, maddened, emotionally raw and consumed, stricken stare....with such a deft and wonderful touch did you explore that colour theme, as well, studying and encapsulating those events through the lens of colour and what it represents and stands for, just what, on its own, it can in fact convey and speak to....simply an *awesome* job done the whole way through, there, for sure and certain....I swear you end up haunting me to no end with your ficage, honestly, and I *do* find it tending to long linger with me, really dwelling on my mind, let me tell you....kind of hard for that *not* to be the case, I suppose. Remember how I said you just have, you know, The Gift? Mmmmmmmmm, yes....quite. :D

Dawn. (who, after reading your drabble-age, almost, *almost* finds herself curious as to whether she should perhaps try it herself, but then realizes that this is probably something b

18. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Either your the Queen of Metaphor or the English teacher in me is on overdrive, but I found a lot of subtle layers to delve into.

For 'zample:

Smell: It?s almost too much, and he has to swallow hard and close his eyes.

Here's Luke, thrust into this new life. He is on a planet that is the complete opposite of the monochromatic desert home that he came from, and it overwhelms him so much that he tries to shut down his other senses. His life has done the same -he's been thrown into this new awareness of his destiny, and nothing can ever be as it was.

Sound: He tries to turn, the follow the path of the remote, but he can?t hear it over the sound of the weapon.

(Nice pacing break there, BTW.) Luke isn't a Jedi because he still hears the weapon. When all that merges as one, then he's on his way.

Touch: It?s as if Vader has become part of him now, too. Luke lifts his hand away. He can?t touch her anymore. Not with this.

He wants to protect her by distancing himself from her. Lovely carry over to Return of the Jedi. I don't remember the movie scene that well (Horrors! Shame on me! :eek:) -- does he actually take his arm off her shoulder? Love your read into the meaning of that gesture.

Taste and Sight are likewise beautifully crafted. "Strength" doesn't always mean just physical. Luke's upcoming trial will nearly break him. Yoda's famous slug soup just gets him used to misery! ;)

Wonderfully done. (Thank you so much for the PM!)=D=

19. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Beautifully done! =D=

The distinctive droning hum of the lightsaber seems to fill his head, vibrating in his ears, his brain. It?s all Luke can hear; he hadn?t realized how loud it is until he was no longer allowed to see. The Force seems to dance away from him, so that only the sound of the lightsaber is left. His father?s lightsaber. His father was a Jedi?Luke is still getting used to the idea. He tries to turn, the follow the path of the remote, but he can?t hear it over the sound of the weapon.

Sound was my favorite! :D

20. RebelGrrl

RebelGrrl Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2006
    I'm catching up, and all these drabbles so far are very, very good. The set about Darth Vader/Anakin and the set about Han Solo particularly stuck out and rang true, but the most powerful one so far I have to say is Touch with Luke.

It?s as if Vader has become part of him now, too. Luke lifts his hand away. He can?t touch her anymore. Not with this.

*shiver* Just a few words, but very deep as to how the replacement of his hand affects him, something we don't really get to see.

21. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Awwwwwwww, sweetie, I so loved that series of drabbles you did for Han, too.... *catching up with the feedback in a positively eager frenzy* Yet again, simply an awesome job, to be sure, and hey - yet again, you do afford us that wonderful insight into Han's character, and in even the limited span of the drabble-fic, then, do you really give us that awesome, intimate window on just what makes him tick, for sure and certain....and on the fact that he can try to gird himself as tough and sharp-tongued a smuggler as he likes, or even try to deem himself not a "nice" man, but the fact remains that he very much *is* one - and he really is honourable, in his down-to-earth, common-sense way, and he really *is* truly decent....it's just a matter of letting others close enough to see it, to see him just as he truly, deeply *is*, that's all. Get past the gruff, temperamental closed-off exterior of him, and he just opens right up, clearly.... :) It was so touching, though, so bittersweet....

Like the first drabble, for instance, where Han's so sure that Lando will be the one to help 'em out, that no matter the past that might lie between 'em, Lando's a fellow honourable, decent smuggler-type and can thus absolutely be counted on in the crunch, when they truly do have need of him....all the more poignant a thing, to be sure, because we know only too well that Han's faith and surety in his old friend wasn't exactly wholly justified....entirely, and at least to start with. And oh, *oh*....I also *so* loved that whole run with Han trying to sort through his feelings for Leia, how he kept trying to convince himself that, no, he felt nothing romantic for her, that he wasn't that into her, nothing at all....trying, yes, but failing dismally in the process, because hey, even his own traitorous thoughts were clearly betraying him, and kept taking him down the same instinctive path....that he *was*, in fact, seriously into her, and that he really *couldn't* stop thinking about her....*that* way....

Try as he might, to be sure, and honestly....in he end I'm not even sure just how hard he might've been trying, either....gruff, hardened smuggler-type exterior to the notwithstanding....and relaly, now, as though his sharp and sarcastic, temperamental tongue could ever truly hide the true heart o' gold beneath. ;) *tee hee* And oh, yes, I also loved it how in that one drabble you also mentioned that....he'd maybe become accustomed to being on his own, being lonely....oh, poor Han....and yet, to think that Chewie basically flat-out insisted on repaying him that life-debt, swore himself to be Han's friend and ally, his compatriot, and so indeed he *would*....awwwwwwwww, says I! :) - and I do so love the fact that at least with Chewie on board, fighting at his side, Han could be assured of one fact....that no matter where he went in the galaxy from then on, whatever he got up to, he would *never* again have to be friendless, alone. And that can make *all* the positive difference in someone's life.... :)

And aaaaaahhhhhh, yes, had he only but known, then, just how drastically his life and view of things would change, thanks to those strangers he met in that shady cantina that day....had he but known what would come of his life, with them in it....perhaps he could have just never realized, then, never even dared dream, just how much everything would change him, and *so* much for the better still, besides....all the true good that would come into his life, thanks to a chance meeting in a Tatooine cantina.... :) *sighs wistfully, happily* So-o, then, yes, m'dear....as you might perchance expect....no, really ;) - for sure and certain, then, did I love this series of drabbles - this wonderful insight into Han's character and how he looks at any given situation, just what he's really all about...you give us this glimpse into his inner workings, his heart and soul, and that's a truly wonderful thing. :) *stands up on chair to all the better zestfully, enthusiastically applaud our most fabuloso authoress*

Mmmmmmm....more, please....we want mor

22. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    First of all I?m really glad to see you back. Sakura [:D]

These are really really great! My faves are week 1 and 3. I hope to see more from you soon!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.