main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"A Game of Hearts" - Ani/Ami Episode II fic (reposted)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Cindé of Naboo, May 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maul Brady

Maul Brady Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 1999
    Gooood!! Hmmm, she was looking at his back... hehe

2. ThatJediGirl

ThatJediGirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2001
    Oooh, this is turning out to be very good- I wonder what they told Obi Wan.... Anakin PAdm'e bodyguard---- that is, GOOD!!?!?!??!?!

3. Cindé of Naboo

Cindé of Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2000
    Kind of sad post coming up....sniffle...
    -----
    They continued to walk down the hallway in silence, awkwardly looking anywhere but at each other. They were both relieved when the sound of Obi-Wan?s voice calling from behind them broke the stiff silence. Anakin stopped mid-stride and turned to face his master, Padmé unconsciously echoing his movements. Obi-Wan quickly caught up with them, his face wearing a peculiar expression. ?What is it, Master?? Anakin asked instantly. ?What did the council have to say to you??

Padmé was surprised to see a shadow cross the Jedi?s face, hinting at some unspeakable sorrow. Then it was gone, and his face resumed the placid Jedi expression. ?I?ll not be going with you to Naboo,? he said calmly. ?The Council is sending me elsewhere, to investigate some rumors involving an outlying planet.?

?Master!? Anakin?s troubled face was the exact inverse of Obi-Wan?s calmness. ?You can?t mean you?re not going with us!?

Obi-Wan smiled wryly. ?I believe that is exactly what I just said, Anakin.?

Panic flitted across his padawan?s features. ?But ? they can?t separate us! There must be some rule in the Code, or something...?

His master?s voice contained just a touch of amusement. ?I?ve never known you to be so concerned with following the Code. At any rate,? he continued, ?there?s no particular rule that forbids the Master to be separated from the Padawan for a brief period of time.?

Padmé tactfully walked some distance away from the pair. She could see they needed to talk alone. Leaning against the wall of the Temple, she let out a small sigh. Anakin was doing it again, letting his emotions control him, fiercely determined and devoted no matter what the cost. How could he be so offhanded one moment and so serious the next?

And which one was worse?

?Master, I don?t want you to go.? Anakin?s tone held a note of true pleading. ?I don?t ? I don?t want to lose you.?

Obi-Wan?s mind flew back, for an instant, to another Padawan, pleading his master not to go, clutching at him desperately as if he could hold him back by sheer willpower. ?I?m sorry, Anakin,? he said softly, returning to the present. ?I understand your concern. But there?s little either of us can do. You have your duties, and I have mine. After these problems have been taken care of, everything will return to normal, I promise you.? He did his best to ignore the nagging in the back of his mind that seemed to speak of change, inevitable and irreversable. ?I promise.?

Slowly, Anakin conceded. ?All right. But I can?t say I like it.? He glanced briefly at Padmé, still resting against the wall, and started to go to her.

Obi-Wan remembered something all at once. ?Wait, Anakin. There was something else I wanted to talk to you about.? His apprentice turned back, slightly apprehensive.

?It?s about Padmé, isn?t it?? His voice was low, though she was most likely too far away to hear.

?You?re her bodyguard,? Obi-Wan said firmly. ?Just remember that.?

?I?m not likely to forget,? Anakin said fiercely. ?I?d do anything to keep her from danger. Anything.?

?That?s what worries me.? His master shook his head. ?Anakin, you can?t afford to get attached. Neither of you can. You both have your own separate lives. I fear that if an attachment were to be formed ??

?There?s not much danger of that,? Anakin interrupted. He looked at Padmé and frowned. ?Not on her side, anyway.?

I wouldn?t be too sure of that, Obi-Wan thought silently. ?Anakin.? His tone was stern. ?Promise me you won?t get her involved any more than she has to.? When his apprentice looked reluctant to answer, he repeated it even more firmly. ?Promise me.?

?I can?t,? Anakin burst out at last. He looked at his master in desperation. ?Don?t make me promise something like that. Please.?

Obi-Wan frowned. Why did the boy have to make things so difficult? Finally, briskly, he shook his head and said, ?We haven?t much time. We?ll need to get Padmé away as quickly as possible.? His apprentice nodded, relieved that the matter seemed

4. Ashamaphone

Ashamaphone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    I'm sensing impending tension!!

NOOOO!!!!!

5. ThatJediGirl

Mar 11, 2001
    Uppies! Great POst. I also sense some tension...

6. Cindé of Naboo

Apr 19, 2000
    You want tension, eh? Allrighty, then.... ;)
    --------
    Padmé had already settled herself in the co-pilot's chair when Anakin entered the cockpit. He stood in the doorway for a moment, watching her strap herself in, and spoke suddenly. "What are you doing?"

She turned her head swiftly at the sound of his voice, flustered. "What do you mean? I'm getting ready to go."

His brow furrowed, Anakin shook his head. "You can't sit there."

Padmé's eyes narrowed, and something seemed to snap within her. Maybe it was from being on the run, pursued by assassins for the past few days, maybe it was being stuck on a little ship with the same person, maybe it was just a lack of sleep. Whatever the cause, Anakin could see the rage beginning to boil within her. "Oh, I can't, can I?" she snapped. "You think I can't be a good enough co-pilot? I've flown quite a few ships myself, you know. Maybe I'm not the best pilot in the galaxy ?"

The way she repeated his master's words was stingingly sarcastic, biting. He glowered and broke in just as angrily. "Look, it's not that. I just don't want you to sit there, that's all." Making his way to the pilot's seat, he dropped into it and began powering up the ship for takeoff. He could feel Padmé's eyes on him, as though daring him to make her sit in the passenger's chair. He muttered something under his breath.

"What did you say?" she demanded.

He turned to her with blazing eyes. "I said, ?she's sitting where Obi-Wan always sits when I'm piloting.' All right? That's it. It's just a stupid little problem, I know."

Silently, Padmé unbuckled herself and moved from the co-pilot's chair to the passenger's. Anakin was too surprised to say anything. When he finally regained control of his voice, he realized a "thank you" would sound rather lame. Instead, he turned back to the controls, starting the engines absentmindedly and staring out into the hanger. I don't understand. I just don't understand.

There's a great many things you don't see. That doesn't mean they don't exist... All at once, Anakin had the uneasy feeling that he really knew nothing at all.

Padmé was ashamed. She had let her anger control her ? she, who had been silently condemning Anakin for allowing his emotions to get the better of him. And here she was, snapping at him and behaving, altogether, like a spoiled, selfish girl. And all for what? Her pride? Her ego? That didn't seem to be the reason; she didn't care what Anakin thought of her piloting skills. He was good, maybe even the best, and she had no wish to compete with that. No, it was simply the very essence of arguing with him ? a need to never let him get the better of her. Why? Because she feared that if she let her guard down for one minute, she'd lose every ounce of self-control she had been building up, all these years? Perhaps. But why Anakin? Why was he such a threat to her self-control?

And why was that a problem?

They had gone through the process of taking-off in silence, the throbbing engines providing the only sounds in the otherwise quiet cockpit. Padmé watched the city-planet slip away through the screen, glancing now and then at Anakin as he stoically piloted the ship through the upper atmosphere. She considered apologizing, commenting on the weather, anything to break the awful silence. But words refused to come out. She somehow felt that whatever she said would fall on unhearing ears. Not because she thought that Anakin was unreceptive to her; he had certainly proven otherwise over the last few days. But his mind seemed to be somewhere else entirely as he sent the ship soaring into space, sitting unnaturally straight and stiff in the pilot's chair, most of his body remaining still as his hands spread over the controls. She could not see his face from where she sat. She wasn't even sure she wanted to.

He spoke up all at once. "Can you fly? Really?"

For a moment she thought he was mocking her, taunting her to defend her previous words. Then she realized h

7. Cindé of Naboo

Apr 19, 2000
  8. Maul Brady

Mar 12, 1999
    That was some niiiice tension!! GReat scene!!

9. princess-sari

princess-sari Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2000
    That gave me some shivers, Cinde. Ani's desire to "finish off" whoever was following them reminded me of what he's going to become. :eek:

Great post! :)

10. Ashamaphone

Jan 27, 2001
    Tsk, tsk Anakin!! Violence is never the answer!! Somehow, I don't think he'd agree w/ me . . . ;)

11. ThatJediGirl

Mar 11, 2001
    I love this story. So good, so real. I'm glad to see some of the stuff before Epi II! Up!

12. Yorthen

Yorthen Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 14, 2001
    Just what I needed. I a time when most people have their final exams and such there are few stories around.
    And being a bit late to find this there were plenty of good stuff to read.

Keep the good work up!

13. darth_morgana

darth_morgana Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2000
    More! Cool!

14. Maul Brady

Mar 12, 1999
    darth_morgana- Yeah! A MI tambien me gusta Ewan! And I can't wait to see him singg Elton John's Your song on Moulin Rouge!! :) *dreaaaaamy*

15. Bug-squat

Bug-squat Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2001
    Horray! A post! I is truly liking this story! :D

16. Cindé of Naboo

Apr 19, 2000
    Padmé stretched her arms luxuriously and sat up in the bed that was built into the wall of the ship's compartment; a most uncomfortable place to sleep. She had been so exhausted, however, that she scarcely noticed the terrible hardness of the sleeping surface. It was only now that she realized how much her back ached, as she rubbed her shoulder with a groan.

She had no idea how long she had been sleeping, although, judging by the smooth motion of the ship, they were still in hyperspace. She had not seen Anakin since they had entered it, and she frowned momentarily upon recalling that strange moment, when he had seemed ready to go back and tear the enemy's ship to pieces if he had to. Padmé shook her head. It was flattering, really, to think that someone cared so passionately about her safety. It was also quite disconcerting.

Trying not to think too much about it, she pulled one of her suitcases from the shelf next to the bed and opened it, staring at its contents. She was surprised she had had enough presence of mind to pack anything at all; after nearly being assassinated, she felt more like hiding in a corner than putting together a few belongings and flying halfway across the galaxy as fast as she could. But somehow, she had managed to bring a sufficient wardrobe to suit her needs. She laughed out loud. Perhaps her motivations had been somewhat more devious ? Anakin, so determined to help her, needed to learn that he wasn't invincible. The thought of him struggling to carry all her suitcases was enough to make her forget other, less amusing sides of him. For the moment.

She wanted to look her best when she arrived. Her parents would gladly welcome her if she came home in a ragged burlap sack, but she wanted to make the proper impression. She was their daughter; she had also been their queen. One of her more regal dresses, she decided, would not be out of line. A simple headdress would complete the outfit.

And maybe dressed as a queen, Anakin would not be so tempted to goggle at her.
    ---
    Clad in the long skirts that chastely flowed down past her ankles, Padmé walked through the corridors of the small ship to the cockpit, secretly hoping she would find Anakin there. The room was empty, however, and she let out a small sigh as she settled down in the pilot's seat and began checking their status. They would be coming out of hyperspace in less than an hour. She would need to find Anakin and tell him, she decided, ignoring the fact that it was a lame excuse to go looking for him.

She thought he might be in the same compartment where she had found him before. The only trouble was, she couldn't remember which one it was: all the little rooms looked the same. Fortunately, it was not a large ship. She would find him eventually.

She discovered him, at last, in the room farthest from the cockpit. Why was it, she wondered, that when she wanted to find him, he seemed to intentionally make himself scarce ? but then, when she did her best to avoid him, he would inevitably appear?

The bed was just inside the doorway, concealed from her immediate view by a large shelf at its head. She peered around the shelf and pulled back hastily, instinctively, as she spotted Anakin, lounging on the bed with his head resting lazily on an arm. He was not sleeping, instead staring off into the distance with a rather odd smile playing on his face. He did not seem to notice her presence.

"Anakin." She stepped forward and gave his shoulder a nudge. He literally jumped and turned to face her, his eyes wide with surprise.

"You!"

She allowed herself a smile of her own. "Who did you think?" Anakin shook his head, and Padmé went on more seriously. "We'll be coming out of lightspeed soon. I thought you might want to know that."

"Thanks."

Padmé glanced down at him curiously. "What were you doing?"

"Dreaming."

She shook her head. "No you weren't. You were wide awake."

"I don't have to sleep to dream," he replied cryptically, and began to stretch. He glanced at Padmé briefly and commented, "You change

17. Yorthen

Apr 14, 2001
    Sometimes it surely do pay off to stay up way past the time the TV-channals stoped transmiting.
    If I stay up one houre more will you give me another of those loveley posts?? :)

18. princess-sari

princess-sari Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2000
    Well at least things between them have lightened up a little. I wonder what Ani was thinking about when Ami walked in? ;)

19. Yorthen

Apr 14, 2001
    Her, who else??

20. ThatJediGirl

Mar 11, 2001
  21. Maul Brady

Mar 12, 1999
    Wait.. she's gonna wear a headdress to her parent's house?? HUh??

hehe Anyways, good post!

22. Cindé of Naboo

Apr 19, 2000
    Er....I guess Ami's been a queen too long, and got used to wearing headdresses all the time. ;) Anyway, new post!
    -----------
    Having seated herself deliberately in the passenger's chair, Padmé watched Anakin prepare to take the ship out of hyperspace. He had thrown a sort of poncho on over his Jedi garb, as though wearing a disguise were part of his role as bodyguard. She noticed that he fingered the controls somewhat nervously, and she asked as casually as possibly, "You don't think that ship has traced us all the way here, do you?"

Anakin shook his head rapidly, as much confirming it to himself as to her. "Going back to where you first got attacked is the last thing they'd expect you to do," he declared as he turned to face her. "No, I'm sure we'll be safe. We will," he finished firmly, and continued to frown as he turned back to the controls. Padmé shook her head, knowing better than to press the issue.

A light on the console began to flash. Anakin silenced it with the flick of a button and then pushed back the lever to bring them out of lightspeed. A glowing green planet replaced the swirls of hyperspace in the viewscreen, and a tiny sigh escaped Padmé as she viewed her home. She had traveled to a great many planets in her relatively short lifetime, but none of them, in her opinion, could ever compare to her own. This particular view of Naboo was one she had not seen in a long time. They had come at the planet from the other side, far from the majestic waterfalls and carefully crafted structures of Theed. There was a different beauty to this part of Naboo, but no less dear to her heart.

She spoke up hesitantly. "I ? I know the way well, Anakin. Would you mind if I ??"

He stood up from pilot's chair without a word and motioned her into it with a smile, settling back into the co-pilot's seat to admire the gorgeous view before them. Padmé had to grin. She took the controls in her hand and began directing the ship towards home.
    ----
    She decided to land in a small town near her parents' farm. Like any settlement on her planet, its architecture was grand and elaborate, with stone streets and plazas that required dozens of artisans to design it and dozens more caretakers to keep it continually clean and beautiful. She knew the perfect landing space in a quiet ? well, even quieter than the rest ? corner of town. Their ship would be fairly safe and undisturbed there, and she would not have to attempt to land it on the hilly landscape surrounding the farm.

Anakin had turned back from the viewscreen as they broke through the atmosphere and was watching her instead, a wry look on his face. Padmé wondered if he was aching to criticize her flying techniques, desperately wanting to give her a few tips. Well, she thought with a smirk, we can't all be the best pilot in the universe, now can we?

The ship hit ground with a bump; not the smoothest landing she had ever made, but then, it was hard with someone like Anakin looking over her shoulder. It didn't occur to her that it wasn't her flying skills he was watching.

"So." She unstrapped herself from the pilot's seat and turned back to face Anakin. "Here we are."

He nodded. "So...you want to get off?"

"That was our plan, I believe." Neither one moved, their faces fixed in position. Padmé wondered why now, of all times, her heart should be pounding. It must be the excitement over seeing her family again, she decided. With an abrupt nod of her head, she destroyed the moment and Anakin turned away. "Let's go, then."

He insisted on carrying her suitcases once more as they left the ship, struggling to keep his balance as they walked down the entrance ramp. Padmé laughed out loud. "We still have to walk to my family's farm, you know," she commented as they walked across the plaza. "I'm afraid your arms are going to get very tired."

"?You have to take a little pain if you want to get strong,'" Anakin replied, still managing to take his usual long strides despite the extra weight. "At least," he added with a laugh, "that's wha

23. Ashamaphone

Jan 27, 2001
    That was priceless!! I thought I'd cough up a lung I was laughing so hard at what that little girl asked Anakin!! :D

24. Maul Brady

Mar 12, 1999
    Ohh that was so adorable!!! Ohh so sad that there isn't a double post!

25. IellaWessiriNRI

IellaWessiriNRI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2001
    ::melts::

that was soo incredibly cute!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.