main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends A Gathering of Light (EU, Jedi, concurrent with JAT and I, Jedi) PG-13 (Double updated 3/19/2012)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JediAlly, May 6, 2004.

1. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Having learned of new information, I have made some edits to this fanfic and am now transferring it here from the Classic Forums.

For those of you who are regulars, some of the posts will be the same as in the Classic Forums. I'll inform you whenever I post a modified section or a brand new one.

As for any newcomers, I've been working on this for quite some time, and it hasn't been easy. As the title says, it's concurrent with the Jedi Academy Trilogy and I, Jedi, so I had to work within the confines dictated by these novels. I also wanted to make you react to this fanfic as though it were canon. That meant doing accurate, background research so that I cover any possible problems with continuity, character personalities, and so forth.

And now, on to the show.

It is a time of change in the galaxy. After over a year of unprecedented terror, the Darkness has finally been destroyed. The resurrected Emperor, Palpatine, was finally dead and had gone to join the abysmal chaos that awaited all who served the dark side. His elite group of Dark Jedi have been destroyed, dispersed, or taken prisoner. The mighty Imperial war machine has once again become fragmented, and the factions were now fighting amongst themselves or were busy consolidating their hold on their territories. The New Republic has begun the laborious task of creating a new government that would finally bring peace to the galaxy.

Throughout this time, one man has endured ordeals the likes of which very few individuals have ever experienced. That man is Luke Skywalker. He has passed through the fires of the dark side and has emerged more powerful than ever. He has emerged from the final forge a Jedi Master. As the New Republic begins its own tedious work of building a new government, Luke realizes that his work has only just begun. He realizes that the time has come for him to fulfill the task with which his Master, Yoda, has charged him. The time has come for... a Gathering of Light.

Part One - The Summoning

Luke Skywalker sat in his apartment, contemplating. It was an early hour on Coruscant, a world bustling with activity at all hours of the day. Yet he couldn't sleep. He hadn't been able to sleep very well during the past few days, his mind in deep contemplation over what he would be doing very soon. Now that Palpatine was gone once and for all, and the Empire had become fragmented again, he knew it was time for him to fulfill a responsibility that was placed upon him by his Master, Yoda, over seven years ago.

Pass on what you have learned. That was what Yoda said to him at his deathbed. Luke knew now that Yoda wanted him to rebuild the Jedi Order. However, for the past seven years, the task had seemed nearly impossible to do. Palpatine had successfully destroyed nearly every piece of information about the Jedi, and most of the information Luke had been able to find was aimed at turning a Force-sensitive individual to the dark side. His sister Leia was the only one to whom he could pass on what he has learned, yet her progress had been slow and sporadic, attributed to the enormous amount of time she needed to invest in bringing the New Republic government to life and the numerous diplomatic and bureaucratic meetings. The past seven years were also filled with numerous conflicts ? the Ssi-Ruuk, the campaign at Milagro, Lord Shadowspan and Mindor, Ysanne Isard, Zsinj and other Imperial warlords, Grand Admiral Thrawn, and the resurrected Emperor and his Dark Jedi.

Luke shrugged away these dark thoughts, and turned his thoughts towards more positive thoughts. Leia had begun to learn about the Force. She had also given birth to three Force-sensitive children. The two-year old twins Jacen and Jaina would be returning to their mother within the next few weeks, while the youngest child Anakin would remain with Leia?s long-time friend and assistant Winter Retrac for another year on the hidden planet Anoth. He knew his friend Tycho Celch

2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I can tell this story is going to be amazing! I'm fairly new to the boards so I haven't had a chance to check out the Classic Forum as much as I would like. So, for me this is brand new! I can't wait to read more! Very nicely done!

3. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Checking in! Interesting to be reading this from the beginning again. Excellent as always, though. :)

4. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Reporting for duty, sir. :) Good idea to transfer here, too.

5. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    padawan, Tahi, thanks for staying with the transition.

Vaderlvr64, nice to meet you. Hope I can maintain your interest in this fanfic.

6. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    In celebration of Mother's Day, here's the next section, taking place after Luke's speech in Jedi Search.

Luke was waiting outside the Senate assembly chambers for a chance to talk to several people inside. The past few days had gone well for him. After hearing what Corran had to say about the disappearance of his wife, Mirax, and hearing what Corran felt through the Force, Luke knew that the best way for Corran to find Mirax was to learn the ways of the Force. He also suggested that Corran would attend the academy under the assumed name Keiran Halcyon, the name of one of his ancestors, so as not to distract the other students, as well as to ensure that whoever kidnapped Mirax would be unaware of his movements. Corran accepted the next day, having heard a message his father left for him in the memory banks of his R2 unit Whistler.

Luke then contacted Kam, who has been on Coruscant since the New Republic liberated Coruscant from the Imperial forces again. Kam readily agreed. Kam did received training from his father Ranik Solusar before his father?s death at Darth Vader?s hands. Although Kam was technically a Jedi Knight, there were gaps in the training. Kam would be attending the academy as a student and an instructor, for he and his father had been trained differently than the way Luke was ? therefore he would bring another school of training to the academy.

He had successfully persuaded the New Republic Senate to support him in his search for candidates. It would perhaps be the only high point in today?s business. He also knew that his speech, and the Senate?s approval, would be broadcasted over the Holonet by this evening, which was fine as far as Luke was concerned. Prospective students will hear of his plans and come to be tested. As the senators left the assembly chambers, he strode forward, catching the attention of Mon Mothma.

?What is it, Master Skywalker?? she asked.

?I would like a moment of your time, Mon Mothma.? Luke looked past her and summoned the others to whom he wanted to talk. ?As well as yours, Admiral Ackbar, General Madine, General Cracken.?

The four gathered around Luke, while Leia, General Carlist Rieekan, Jan Dodonna, and General Garm Bel Iblis left. Before Luke proceeded, Mon Mothma reached out to shake his hand. ?Congratulations on the beginning of the restoration of the Jedi Order.?

Luke shook her hand, but before he could respond, Admiral Ackbar added, ?You have my congratulations as well.?

?And ours,? General Crix Madine said.

?Although Garm brought up a good point, and I think everyone here agreed with him,? General Airen Cracken added gravely.

With that thought, everyone?s expression turned serious. ?I agree with you and Garm completely,? Luke said, ?yet I stand by my beliefs, and I will do all that I can to ensure that Garm?s concerns won?t come to pass.?

Satisfied with his response, Mon Mothma and the others relaxed. ?What is it that you require from us?? asked Admiral Ackbar.

?Over the past several days I have attempted to track down the whereabouts of several individuals whom I would want to take on as students. I have already spoken to Kam Solusar, and he has accepted my invitation.? He looked at General Cracken. ?I have also spoken to another, and he too has agreed.? At that point, he reached out to the Force, linked his mind to General Cracken?s, and sent an image of Corran to his mind.

General Cracken widened his eyes slightly at having been caught off guard by what Luke did. He then understood the full implications of what Luke did. Cracken thought, so Corran went to you to see if you could help him. I am concerned about your knowing some details that might be best kept classified, but I can trust you to be discreet. At the same time, you?re providing Corran with a direction as to how he can find his wife. Now I won?t have to worry about Corran petitioning the New Republic Ruling Council into getting me to release information that might

7. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Report for duty. ;)

8. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    Nice to see you transferred, RebelMom. Hope you and the other mothers have had a nice Mother's Day.

The candidates begin to answer Luke's call, and we start off with one from the computer games.

?Alright, this exercise is over.? The dozen pilot trainees exited the simulators and gathered before their instructor.

Keyan Farlander stood before them, giving them a moment to come to attention. ?Once again the results varied. Some of you did exceptionally well, while some of show signs of needing remedial training.? At this a number of students groaned lightly. ?I am well aware that some of you don?t understand the need for this session of training. Some among you would prefer to fly the fast and nimble A-wing, while others are more content with the steady B-wing and its heavier shields, armor, and firepower. Let me make this point clear to you ? I fully expect each and every one of you to have a preference when it comes to flying a starfighter. The purpose of these exercises isn't to knock you from the pilots' candidate list.? He let that sink in for a moment before continuing. ?The purpose is to get you familiarized with the capabilities of each starfighter ? both their strengths and their weaknesses. While you will have your preferences, circumstances, be they mission parameters, decisions made by your superiors, or the availability of resources, will arise whereby you?ll be flying a starfighter that?s not your preference. These exercises will enable you to become somewhat versatile and adaptable when it comes to piloting starfighters. This versatility and adaptability will enable you to fly at your best, allowing you to not only complete the mission goals, but also ensure your survival, the survival of your squadron-mates, and the survival of any other starfighter squadrons you?ll be flying with.?

He looked at the students slowly, making certain that a glimmer of understanding appears in their eyes. ?I want to think about something ? missions can have several goals, and exercises can have several lessons to teach you. There?s a hidden lesson for you to learn in this exercise. I expect an answer from you next time. Dismissed!? The class saluted, and he returned the salute.

After the class left, he made his way towards the instructors? lounge, or what he called ?senior pilot country?. As he made his way there, he thought about the exercises he?s been giving the students this past week, hoping that some among them would learn all the lessons. He remembered going before the senior instructor and proposing this curriculum. While the senior instructor was initially opposed to the idea, in the end he agreed when Keyan made two good points. Sir, we both know that the variety of starfighters in the New Republic has caused their pilots to have some preconceptions of other pilots. For instance, those who pilot the A-wings believe that the X-wing pilots choose X-wings because they can?t handle the increased speed. It also makes the A-wing pilots believe that their piloting skills are superior to those of the pilots of the other starfighters. These exercises will serve two additional purposes. First off, it?ll show each pilot the capabilities of the other pilots of these other starfighters. Knowing the capabilities of the enemy is important, but it?s equally important to know the capabilities of your allies. That knowledge will enable these pilots to work together more effectively, increasing their success rate, and more importantly, in my opinion, their survival rate. This will lead to the second purpose ? showing these pilots that we all have our strengths and weaknesses, and that we?re all capable of mistakes. Bottom line ? the second purpose is to instill in these youngsters the fact that we?re all the same. I just hope that these rookies get these lessons in their heads. If they don?t, then they run the risk of alienating themselves from each other, and that?ll be detrimental to morale and future missions. Yet even as he thought this, his thoughts turned

9. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    Ooh, no one showed up. Hope I'm not boring you. Anyway, here's the next one, and it's the one that gave this fanfic its rating.

Tyria Sarkin Tainer emerged from the refresher, trying to savor the shower she just had, as well as what happened during the shower. She reached up with her hands to put her hair in a ponytail when a pair of strong hands grabbed her hands from behind. These hands pulled her hands down to her abdomen and then proceeded to enfold her. She felt someone kiss her on her right cheek while untying the belt of her bathrobe. She gave a sigh of delight and managed to squirm herself loose from the embrace just enough for her to turn around and face her husband, Kell Tainer.

Both of them were members of the Wraiths, an experimental commando/starfighter unit that Wedge Antilles created shortly after the Bacta War. Considered reprobates by many others in the New Republic military, the Wraiths quickly earned respect by being instrumental in bringing down Warlord Zsinj?s Empire. After the Battle of Selaggis, the Wraiths were transferred to Intelligence, where they functioned as commandos, pilots, and infiltrators. Kell and Tyria got married months after Han and Leia did.

Over the past two years the Wraiths functioned more as commandos and infiltrators than pilots, gathering intelligence on Thrawn?s activities and the movements of the resurrected Emperor. The missions were harrowing, and the Wraiths were pushed to their limits. Now with the New Republic in control of Coruscant again, the missions they were now performing were much easier.

A persistent problem for Tyria and Kell was the concern that the resurrected Emperor would learn of Tyria?s Force-sensitivity and attempt to capture her. Fortunately, the resurrected Emperor either was unaware of Tyria or chose to ignore her and focus his attention on Luke. This concern, and the numerous missions they performed, put a damper on their romance, and both were eager to make up for lost time.

Tyria placed her hands on Kell?s back as she gave him a passionate kiss. As they kissed, Tyria slipped off her bathrobe while Kell proceeded to push Tyria onto the bed. He was definitely eager to resume what they?ve been doing for the past hour. With each kiss the fire of their passion and love grew in intensity. He leaned back to admire the view, of which he could never get enough, just as he could never get enough of her. She knew exactly what he was thinking and was looking forward to another ?session? with him. He leaned forward, and they gave each other the deep, passionate kiss that signaled the beginning of another ?session?.

Then the door chime buzzed.

Tyria couldn?t stop herself from laughing at the timing of this interruption and at Kell?s scrunched-up face. ?No fair,? Kell whined in a high-pitched voice as he got up from the bed and faced the door. He started rubbing his knuckles and looking around the room, trying to decide if he should either give the intruder a beating or find some way of cobbling together something that would blow up in the intruder?s face. He chose to remain bare-chested and hoped whoever it was would take a hint and leave.

?Take it easy, Demolition Boy,? Tyria said in a teasing way. She donned her bathrobe and tied her hair in a ponytail, making herself somewhat presentable, then went to answer the door.

A dashing individual stood at the door. It was their friend and commanding officer Garik Loran, also known as Face. He gave her a charming smile. When they first met at Folor, she told him she had a crush on him when she was younger, since he was once a famous holovid star. At the same time, they met Ton Phanan, who became the Wraith?s first medic. Ton Phanan had professed his love for Tyria almost immediately. What none of them knew was that Face was also interested in Tyria. While his chance to pursue a romantic relationship with Tyria never came to be, Face still maintained a strong friendship with her and Kell.

Upon seeing Kell?s

10. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    I got both your PMs but I couldn't find the thread after the first one. Anyway, I'm caught up now.

11. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Yep, looking good, JA. Been away on a road trip, but got home today - and am gradually catching up with everyone.

One little suggestion for the Tyria/Kell scene would be to include more of their feelings into dialogue and/or thoughts (inside views), rather than doing the explaining as "telling" through the narrator.

It's good to see you including Tyria - as I think I said before. She's an interesting character.

It's good to see dear old Kyle and Keyan - I love those guys. :) The debate with Mon Mothma etc was well-written, especially in terms of the doubts some of them would have about some of Luke's choices.

12. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    Welcome aboard RebelMom.

Tahi, thanks for the advice. I may add it in later, but at the very least I'll consider it when the time comes for me to submit it to the fanfic archives. But I know it'll quite a while before I reach that point.

Here we go with the next section, and for the veterans, I made some changes to this section from the old boards.

Dorsk 81 sat at the dinner table eating the processed wafers with his predecessor, Dorsk 80, and his successor, Dorsk 82. All of them were Khommites, natives of the planet Khomm, located near the Deep Core. The Khommites were a race of Near-Humans ? tall, thin, and hairless with olive-green skin and a series of ridges running across the top of their heads. They had lipless mouths, wide-set eyes, flattened and smooth noses, and ears tucked back against their heads. However, no one could call them a family, since they were all clones. Over a millennium ago, the Khommites believed that their civilization had reached the pinnacle of perfection. To maintain this perfection and avoid any degradation of this ?golden age?, they decided to keep their society static by cloning any Khommite who died. By choosing to clone their society, the Khommites eliminated live births, and over time became genderless. Furthermore, since they considered the balance of professions ideal at the time, they decided that each clone would take over the duties of its predecessor. The cities began to be laid out in grids, and the buildings became box-like in shape. Conformity became the rule on Khomm. Creativity and innovation became more and more undesirable until they became foreign concepts.

So it was that the Khommites remained on their homeworld, and Khomm, for all intents and purposes, remained frozen in time as the rest of the galaxy went through major upheavals. They remained neutral throughout every major conflict in the last thousand years.

Dorsk 81 knew that he was expected to continue the bureaucratic function of monitoring the computer banks at the cloning facility where every member of his line had worked for centuries. However, he knew something that no one else knew. He knew he was ?abnormal?. When he was younger than Dorsk 82?s current age, he discovered that he could somehow ?sense? something. It was something that came from the planet, and it permeated everyone and everything on the planet. One day, he was finishing one of his instruction datapads and was about to reach for the next one when it somehow slid across the desk and touched his hand. It was if the datapad somehow developed a mind of its own and read his. Secretly, he read other manuals, trying to discover what happened. He eventually came across references to the Jedi and the Force, and wondered if he had somehow gained sensitivity to the Force ? something that none of his predecessors ever demonstrated. Despite this revelation, he was so scared and shaken by the incident that he kept it to himself. He knew that if his predecessors found out, he would be considered an anomaly and be subjected to shame and scorn.

Over the years, the basic tenant of Khommite society was drilled into him: Conformity was peaceful. He was ashamed of his condition, ashamed of the fact that he disrupted the conformity of his homeworld.

He was about to eat another wafer when the Holonet broadcasted Luke Skywalker?s speech to the Senate. Most of the populace showed no interest in galactic events. Only those lines that were in positions of leadership, like Kaell 115, kept up to date with what was happening across the galaxy, but only with a passing interest. So of course Dorsk 80 and Dorsk 82 showed no interest in the broadcast.

Not Dorsk 81, though. For the first time in years he gave some serious consideration towards his ability. He was startled to realize that with this chain of thoughts came questions unbidden to his mind. Is my role at the cloning facility the only one for me? Are there other options? Can I choose a different path? Do I even have the r

13. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    Hmm. Once again no response. I bet you're all waiting for some new material. It'll be coming in the next post, but for now, let's bring into the spotlight the most famous EU character to come from the video games - Kyle Katarn.

Kyle leaned back in his seat as the Raven?s Claw cruised through hyperspace. For a change, the last mission was relatively uneventful, he thought. He looked to his right and saw his partner and trusted friend Jan Ors resting peacefully. As Mon Mothma?s personal operatives, they traveled across the galaxy investigating leads and gathering intelligence on Imperial activities. Most of the time the pair found themselves in too deep and had to fight their way out of Imperial bases and strongholds, usually bringing Imperial plans to a standstill or an abrupt end. On their most recent mission, they were scouting the borders of Imperial territories for anything suspicious. Though they did encounter Imperial ships, these ships were either on routine patrol or engaged in combat with pirates or other Imperial forces, and neither Kyle nor Jan were inclined to make themselves targets.

Sensing that Kyle was looking at her, Jan opened her eyes and looked at him with a mischievous glint in her eyes. ?Disappointed with our last mission??

?Disappointed??

?No running through the streets with stormtroopers on our backs. Staying clear of bounty hunters and other types of scum and villainy. No dogfights with TIEs.? She then gave Kyle a mock stare. ?No Dark Jedi to deal with.?

Kyle was beginning to grin in agreement with Jan, but the grin turned to a scowl with her last remark.

?Jan, you know how I feel about that.?

Jan?s demeanor sobered as she realized she treaded over something that bothered Kyle deeply. She knew what happened to him on Dromund Kaas, and that he felt ashamed by his failure to resist the dark side. ?Sorry.?

He nodded, accepting her apology. ?But you?re right about one thing. The last mission was a lot quieter than what we?re used to. After everything the New Republic?s been through over the past year, I?m all for a breather.?

?Strange as this might sound, Kyle, I can?t disagree with you.?

At this, Kyle smiled. ?I?m looking forward to some downtime. I just hope Mon Mothma doesn?t contact us with a new mission for a while. For a month, at least.?

Just as Jan was going to reply, the onboard Holonet transceiver came to life, and a holoimage of Mon Mothma appeared before them. As much as Kyle respected the leader of the New Republic, he couldn?t help but groan inwardly. There goes any chance for downtime.

Jan, however, was able to react to Mon Mothma?s appearance more smoothly than Kyle was at the moment. Nodding her head slightly, she said, ?Mon Mothma. Good to see you again.?

?And you, Jan. Kyle. I understand that you were successful in your recent scouting mission.?

?Successful as in completing the mission, or as in not getting in over our heads, which seems to be a given on most of our missions?? Kyle quipped.

Jan gave Kyle a mild glare, which Kyle chose to ignore. Can?t really fault Kyle for being a little irritated. If I?m thinking like this, then I guess we both need some vacation time.

If Mon Mothma was insulted by Kyle?s quip, she gave no sign of it. ?Successful on both counts, with the latter being a rarity for you two.?

Jan put a hand to her mouth to hide her smile as she chuckled silently.

?The reason why I?m contacting you is to send you a recording of a session of the Senate that occurred today.?

Jan was mildly interested, while Kyle showed his opinion with a sour face. He preferred to keep out of politics. However, as the recording ended, the expressions on their faces changed. Jan was positively beaming, as she was happy for Luke. She already knew why Mon Mothma was contacting them, and was silently hoping that Kyle would accept Luke?s invitation this time.

Kyle?

14. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Really enjoyed Dorsk's thoughts about his culture and his dilemma. That was great. :)

Good as always to see Kyle and Jan. The banter was spot on. Also good the way you wrote Kyle's jaundiced view of Jedi training. I liked the ending as it showed the fond relationship between the two - nicley under-stated, too. Good work. :)

[A little grammar edit needed in the Dorsk section. located was near the Deep Core.
    "which was located'? or simply "located near ..."]

15. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    Sorry I haven't been more regular, tis been a very busy week, and it's not even over!

LOVED the "Steamy" scene there, as well as Dorsk's thoughts. Always liked Dorsk. :D Kyle's part was good as well, so he's from the games? I always wondered! (I don't play them( I love the background you give for all these characters, and as far as I can tell, your characterization is dead on.

Excellent work!

16. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    Thanks, Tahi. I made the revision.

Thanks for the compliments on the characterizations.

Here's the next section, and it stars Tionne. For those of you who've been to original site, this is the first major revision I made. If you're wondering what happened to the rest, just wait. I chose to split that section up, so you'll be seeing the rest later.

It had been another busy day at the Oradin Spaceport on the planet Brentaal Four. Being a hub for trade, Brentaal Four was a wealthy and busy world, with ships transporting cargo and personnel at all hours. Numerous cantinas had sprung up around the spaceport to provide entertainment and food for the pilots, passengers, and port workers. Now that it was evening, one such cantina was filled well beyond capacity. This establishment was more like a restaurant than a seedy cantina, so there were a number of families and children inside. The owner and employees were earning twice as many credits as usual over the past few nights, but it wasn?t the food or the drinks that brought the customers. Rather, it was the young performer currently working there. Other performers have worked there, but none had attracted so many patrons.

Then again, she was no ordinary performer. She was definitely near-Human, and no one would refute the fact that she was a slender, beautiful woman, small and wiry. But her beauty was exotic ? silver hair and large, oval, mother-of-pearl eyes. Her personality spoke of an open heart, and she easily expressed her feelings. The instrument she used consisted of two resonating boxes mounted on a shaft. The tonal chords that ran over the boxes allowed her to pluck or strum them with her white-gloved hands, making the instrument sound like two separate ones. The skill she demonstrated while playing it made the music sound like it was coming from a whole orchestra. Her voice made everyone feel alive, and the songs she played and sang ranged from stately lyrical themes to a slightly more raucous tone. With the off-shoulder white gown she wore, which also revealed a bit of her cleavage, many of the customers listening to her began to think they were seeing the living embodiment of a legend ? an angel of Iego.

The songs she sang weren?t ordinary ones either. While she had a fair mixture of spacer songs in her repertoire, her personal favorites were songs of tales that hadn?t been heard of openly in over a generation: tales that had been outlawed by the Empire; tales that, with the decline of the Empire, one could now sing and hear without fear; tales of the ancient Jedi Order.

Tonight, however, she sang with even greater enthusiasm. Hours earlier, she heard about Luke Skywalker?s address to the New Republic Senate on establishing a Jedi academy. Thanks to the stories her grandmother told her when she was little, Tionne knew a great deal about Jedi lore and history. Until today, she was content enough to learn and sing ballads about Jedi lore and history. Now, she wanted to help Luke Skywalker in his training of new Jedi Knights.

The thought was thrilling and intimidating at the same time. The thrill came from helping Skywalker, but at the same time the audacity of her idea intimidated her. Who was she to be working alongside such a famous individual ? the last of the Jedi?

She thought back to a meeting she had with the owner of the cantina after learning about Skywalker?s academy. She informed the manager that she was going to be giving her last performance tonight. The manager?s response was immediate.

?But Angel, you?re beautiful. The crowd loves you. The staff loves you. I love you. This is the busiest we?ve been for years. You could make a fortune. We could make a fortune.?

The manager tried to convince her to sign a long-term contract, possibly a life-long one, but she politely declined. She had no real interest in making a career out of performing, and she accepted room and board more than credits. But she did need credits if she were to travel from pla

17. PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL

PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2001
    Found it again..../

I'll be reading.

Prophet.

18. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    Nice background scene there, I'd be a little intimidated too, to work with someone as famous as Lukie.

19. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    That's a nifty revision, JA. I'm going to enjoy reading the rest of Tionne's story. I like the way you describe her as both fragile and angel-like and yet also lithe and plucky. It gave me a good image of her.

It was quite a brave thing, too, to try and contact Luke, who must have been a major celebrity in some ways! :)

[Grammar points: (you're going to hate me like my kids do :) but I figure if you want to submit this, then this is probably the kind of thing you want pointed out ) Verb tenses:
    It had been another busy day at the Oradin Spaceport on the planet Brentaal Four. Being a hub for trade, Brentaal Four was a wealthy and busy world, with ships transporting cargo and personnel at all hours. Numerous cantinas have sprung up around the spaceport to provide entertainment and food for the pilots, passengers, and port workers. Change the have to had to maintain the pluperfect tense.

There was another change in tense in the last paragraph, too. and the docking fees of the next spaceport she goes to "goes" should be "went". Hope that helps. (I know, I know I'm a grammar pedant. ;) )

Good post. :)

20. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    Prophet, welcome aboard. I'll PM you when I get a new section up.

padawan, Tahi, glad you like the new Tionne. That's the result of obtaining some new material about her past. And thanks for the edits, Tahi.

And now, a new post with a new character, for the new readers as well as the veterans. If you've read the Adventure Journals and VOTF, you might recognize her name.

The young woman turned off the holovid after watching Luke Skywalker?s speech and allowed the darkness to reclaim the room. For the past two years Alex Winger sought solace of sorts in the darkness as she tried to come to terms with herself.

As far as she knew, she was born on Janara Three, but her parents were killed shortly afterwards. Then her grandparents died, and she was taken to the Core World Garos Four, where the local governor Tork Winger and his wife Sali adopted her. The official report was that the Rebels were responsible for the attack on Janara, but Alex always believed the Empire was responsible.

She joined the Rebel resistance a year after the Battle of Endor and proved to be an invaluable source of information. Because of her intelligence and status, she was able to infiltrate Imperial bases and learn of Imperial plans while attending state functions with her father. Her information allowed the Rebel resistance to strike supply convoys and military targets.

It was Luke Skywalker who revealed to her she could use the Force. At times, she had visions and was able to sense danger, and she had one such vision shortly after Thrawn?s defeat. In that vision, she was rappelling down a snow-covered mountain when a man with sandy hair and blue eyes shouted at her to take his hand. This vision later came true. The Empire arrested Dr. Carl Barzon, a professor and research scientist at the University of Garos in Ariana, the capital city of Garos Four. She was one of his students, and he was one of the leaders of the local resistance. The Empire shipped the doctor to the planet Sarahwiee, which had been removed from local star charts because it was the site of an Imperial military research station. Dr. Barzon had twenty-five years of experience in researching the natural cloaking properties of the ore hibridium, which could only be found on Garos Four. The Imperials wanted his research and threatened to kill his son, Cord, whom they had captured earlier.

But that was a lie. Alex had ordered the sabotage of the shuttle platform at the mining center to stop a shipment of ore from leaving, but she had no idea the Imperials were using that platform to transport Cord off-planet. She informed Dr. Barzon after she and a New Republic team arrived on the hidden planet and rescued the doctor. It was right afterwards, as she went to retrieve the doctor?s private research notes, that she met Luke in the station. He had had the same visions she had, and came to see them through. After she retrieved the files, the events in the vision occurred as they made their way down the mountain to reach the docking bay.

A blush rose to her face as she remembered what happened next. They entered the upper landing bay and, thanks to a little Force push, distracted everyone in the bay long enough to get into a turbolift. She sensed someone unfriendly was waiting at the turbolift?s next stop, so as a way of diverting the individual?s attention, she wrapped her arms around Luke and gave him a kiss, giving the young supply tech the impression he caught two young lovers in a moment of passion. The distraction didn?t last long, as she, Luke, and the rest of their teams had to fight their way out of the base. As they parted, Luke told her that they would meet again.

When she first saw him, she looked into his eyes, and saw that they were filled with fatigue. Beyond the fatigue was a sense of foreboding in his mind, as if there was something he had to face in the near future. A year later, both of them were facing the dark side. While Luke faced the Reborn Emperor, the New Republic was finally

21. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    That was a new character wasn't it? Don't remember her at all.

22. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    Oh she is definitely one. Love her background, kissing Lukie...:D

The new scenes and edits have been aweseome so far. :)

23. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Great addition, JA. Alex sounds very interesting.

Though she saved her father, she was never able to understand what exactly she did to accomplish this, nor was she fully able to fathom what the incident had done to her. Had she turned to the dark side, like Jaalib and his father had? Or, in acting to save her father, someone she loved, she saved herself from becoming another servant of evil? And was she destined to become the version of herself she saw in the vision?
    So many dilemma of faith when you're a Jedi, aren't there? These are good questions. She sounds like a woman who isn't afraid to face the truth, though. :)

This is going well. You must have done a lot of research. :) I've got this on my nominations list for Best Canon story in the SFFA. :)

24. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    RebelMom, yep, Alex Winger is the new one. Based on VOTF, I think she chose to become a pilot, suffered an injury that cost her her hands, and went on to become a naval officer. Whether or not she attended Luke's praxeum was never clear, and I have no idea on what to do about her. I do know that I'm not planning on including her for some time.

Thanks for the compliments on the edits, padawan. As for Alex kissing Luke, it was a distracting maneuver. Though I bet if other ladies knew they'd be so jealous of her.

Tahi, in a way Alex is facing a struggle similar to what Kyle's facing now and what Jacen faced in the NJO. Thanks on the recommendation. I'd recommend you as well, but you're fanfics are just about the only ones I read. Somehow, I think I should read other fanfics before I start making recommendations. Don't you agree?

Here we go with the next section, edited and expanded from the original version. Luke and co. are back on Coruscant.

?Welcome to Coruscant, gentlemen,? Luke said.

Gantoris and Streen looked through the viewport and saw the capital world of Coruscant scintillating before the background of space. Gantoris looked at the planet first with wide-eyed wonder, then with concern. ?There doesn?t seem to be any ocean or land masses.?

?That?s because they?ve been buried long ago. Coruscant has served as the capital of the explored galaxy for over twenty-five thousand years. In that time, the capital city expanded to encompass nearly the entire planet ? the ice cap is the only part of the planet?s original surface that?s still visible. As time went on, new buildings were built upon the old. The city now has hundreds of levels and sub-levels.?

Streen, though taken in by the sight, pressed his hands on his temples and moaned in pain. ?So many minds. There are so many minds down there.?

Luke looked at Streen with sympathy and understanding. ?Based on the last figure I saw, a trillion people call Coruscant their home.?

Gantoris did a double take and mouthed, a trillion. He wondered how so many people could live on one planet.

Streen winced as he realized his discomfort was only going to increase dramatically as they got closer to the planet. ?Master Skywalker, please tell me that we won?t be staying on Coruscant for long.?

?I?m afraid we?re going to be there for a while. I have yet to decide on a location for the academy, but I?ve already decided, for other reasons, that the academy won?t be on Corsucant. Coruscant served as a starting point for my search for candidates. I may have received word of other candidates while I went to find you.? Smiling, Luke continued, ?Also, my twin sister is the Minister of State of the New Republic, so she?ll be able to help find a new planet for your people, Gantoris.?

?Your sister?? Gantoris asked. ?Then she?s a Jedi, too??

Luke shook his head. ?I did provide her with some training in the ways of the Force, but she?s very involved in the New Republic government. There are other reasons, as well.? As he began his final approach to the landing pad on the Imperial Palace, he saw a number of figures waiting. He sensed his sister?s presence, as well as two others ? very young, very strong in the Force. ?A few of which you?ll be learning in a few minutes,? he added cryptically while smiling.

Minutes later, all three of them were standing on the landing pad. Gantoris took in a breath of air and found himself straining slightly. Noticing his efforts, Streen said, ?We must be very high up from the surface. At these heights, the air?s thinner. Just take deep, regular breaths.?

Gantoris nodded his thanks. He turned in time to see Luke embrace the small form of a very beautiful woman. He was drawn to her brown eyes and long, deep brown hair. He was so mesmerized by her beauty that he was momentarily startled when he saw her approach him.

?Leia, this is Gantoris from Eol Sha, and Streen from Bespin. Gentlemen, this is my sister and Mini

25. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    Nice post, cute how Gantoris and Streen reacted to Leia and Winter. :)

(I'm one of those jealous girls... ;))