main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends A Gathering of Light (EU, Jedi, concurrent with JAT and I, Jedi) PG-13 (Double updated 3/19/2012)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JediAlly, May 6, 2004.

1. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Nice to see you're still hanging around, Prophet.

First off, here's some good news about my life. I finally got a job as a tax examiner. Now, don't worry. I'm not examining 1040's, so you don't have to worry about me checking your tax returns. My job has me examine forms requesting temporary identification numbers by resident and non-resident aliens so that their tax forms can be processed.

Next, since this is Easter weekend, this next post should be a happy one. Unfortunately, it's not. The main villain makes a return.

As twilight night came and the academy was bathed with the reflected sunlight from the gas giant, Exar Kun bided his time and reviewed what he learned today. The last arrival ? Kyle Katarn ? he was a puzzle. Kyle Katarn was a formidable Jedi in his own right, and he clearly knew of abilities that Exar Kun didn?t know ? that blinding trick and the ability to absorb Force energy were two such abilities. How many more did he know? Exar Kun wondered. The fact that he fell to the dark side and returned placed him in the same category as Solusar. By the same token, though, Katarn did admit to learning some of the ways of the dark side. Maybe even some of the Sith abilities, which would make him a prospective student. But he was filled with self-doubt, and in Exar Kun?s eyes that made him like Crado.

While he acknowledged that Skywalker and Solusar were correct in their summary of the origin of the Jedi, the First Great Schism, and the events of the Great Hyperspace War, he knew that they were told from the perspective of the Jedi. Thus, they were lacking in some details that could only be found from the Sith perspective.

He managed to learn much from the artifacts he acquired from Dxun, Korriban, and this moon, and knew where they were wrong. When the early Jedi sensed the dark side for the first time, they recoiled from it in fear. They were too cowardly to explore the vast realm of power that lied before them. Instead, they formed the first Jedi Council, which began its tradition of implementing rigid codes and strictures to control those who followed their teachings.

However, five centuries after the formation of the Republic and the Jedi Order, the courageous Jedi named Xendor renounced the sterile existence and endless meditation that were practiced by the Jedi Masters of that time. He gathered like-minded Jedi, and they became the Legions of Lettow, causing the First Great Schism to come about. They began experimenting with new ways to use the Force by giving in to their passions and emotions, eventually touching the power of the dark side. Enraged by the show of disobedience, the Council declared war. As powerful as they were, the Lettow were too few in number to stand against the Jedi and were tragically wiped out for their so-called crime of seeking forbidden knowledge.

As the millennia passed, the Council persecuted those who defied them, forcing them to dwell in the shadows. These "fallen" Jedi continued their studies in secret until nearly three thousand years before his time, when they emerged from hiding en masse. They had learned how to use the Force to transform creatures. It was the first recorded use of what was eventually called Sith alchemy. The results of their experiments in Sith alchemy were mutant warriors, mounts, and their most feared creations - spirit-devouring Leviathans.

Declaring themselves free from the rule of the Council, they triggered the Second Great Schism, resulting in the Hundred-Year Darkness - a century of battles between the servants of the light and the dark that left many worlds ravaged in its wake. But once again, the Jedi had numbers on their side, and the Dark Jedi were defeated at the Battle of Corbos. Their names and all evidence of their existence were purged from the galactic records, and the survivors of the Hundred Year Darkness were banished to the then unexplored region of the Outer Rim. However, the survivors, now calling themselves the Exiles, were fueled by a desi

2. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Caught up again. :) I was very interested in the mind block exercise. I can imagine that each Jedi would definitely have a different way of sensing the others, as each has different skills.

Kun's musings were especially interesting, and I feel for poor old Gantoris. I hate the way the Sith manipulate people though - getting into their minds like that is kind of like violating them.

But I guess they ARE Sith, so the ends justify the means. :)

I liked the way Kun viewed Luke as being especially strong. :)

Two more great posts. :)

3. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    Tahi, what you said about the Sith and ends justifying the means, we'll be getting a good view of that situation in about 49 days. As in the final movie. Remember, Kun viewed Luke as being especially strong because Luke defeated the two reigning Sith Lords. Now to Kun, that meant Luke killed them in battle. Furthermore, at this point, Kun hasn't gathered enough strength to confront Luke, directly or indirectly. We're still at the beginning of the "Jedi chapters" in Dark Apprentice and I, Jedi. And since you commented about Gantoris and Exar Kun, let's look in on them, shall we?

Gantoris was in his bed, trying to get to sleep. But he couldn?t. His mind was churning with thoughts and emotions. He thought about how he had progressed over the past two days, and while he was pleased that his ability to use the Force was growing, he felt increasingly impatient. The wait for the others had worn his patience thin, and now it was like an elastic band on the verge of snapping.

There were other emotions going through him as well. There was the feeling of competition that he was beginning to feel towards some of the others, especially towards Keiran. But deep down hot embers of anger were beginning to fan into a fire. His feelings over this anger were a mixed jumble. If this anger had a focus, he could learn to deal with it. But there was no focus. He wasn?t angry at anyone in particular, and he was glad for that. They didn?t deserve it and had done nothing to receive it. But at the same time, he was a former leader amongst the kind of people he used to lead. He treated Leia and Mon Mothma as equals, and they had done the same. But now, he had been cast down from high, and he didn?t know where to go from here. Up, yes, but would he return to where he once was?

Instead, this anger seemed to be aimed at everything and nothing. It was an anger aimed at life and the galaxy. Compared to the life he had, some of them had lived a charmed life. As for the others, granted they had difficulties, and in some cases their difficulties made his seem trivial by comparison. But while they were able to overcome them and make something of themselves, where was he? He was stranded on a self-destructing world, trying to protect his people from a relentless enemy that couldn?t be defeated. And he had been completely powerless to protect his people. What could he have done had he known to manipulate the Force consciously? How many lives could he have saved? While he was grateful that his people were now safe, thanks to Master Skywalker, Wedge, and the New Republic, it was still humiliating to ask others for help. But what could he have done? He had gone beyond desperation years ago.

As he began to drift off into sleep, his thoughts returned to the nightmares he had since he was little ? the nightmare of a dark man coming to him and tempting him with power, only to destroy him in the end. As if in response to his thoughts, a shadowy silhouette of a man appeared before him.

?The Force is with you, Gantoris.?

In his mind, Gantoris cringed at the unnaturalness within the tone of that voice.

?You have only begun to tap into your power. Skywalker can show you how to use the Force, but I can show a faster way of doing so. I can show you ways to use the Force that Skywalker has no knowledge of. With what I can show you, you can surpass the others in no time and become the top student. You may even become more powerful than Skywalker. And then you?ll be able to protect your people from any danger, any threat. But this is knowledge is not for the weak, or the timid. Are you brave enough, bold enough, to learn what I have to offer??

A part of Gantoris knew what was happening, but the realization brought him no clue on how to proceed. The part of him that feared the nightmare and its implications cried out to run away, go get help, or somehow resist the dark man. But the ambition within him was drawn to the offer and was squelching the voice of hi

4. JediMaster_Fisto

JediMaster_Fisto Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 30, 2004
    that was a real good post. liked how u showed how gantoris was seduced by exar kun.

can't wait for ur next post!! :D

5. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    Thanks, JMF. And for the record, since this was another transfer from the Classic Forums, I had written this section some time ago. Therefore, I did not in anyway draw upon anything from the forthcoming ROTS movie or from the ROTS novel. And in response to your request, JMF, here it is:

?Zak! Come on, wake up!?

After a few moments, Tash again banged on his door and told him to wake up.

Five? Four? Three? Two? One? A thud from the other side of the door and some garbled murmurs brought a smile to Tash. Probably complaining about getting up earlier than usual, though I can?t really blame him.

?What was that??

Tash turned and saw Streen approaching her. He was wearing his customary jumpsuit.

?Morning, Streen. That,? pointing towards the door, ?was Zak going through the usual routine for being forced to get up too early ? throw something at the door, cover his head with a pillow, and complain while still in bed. But I wonder what he threw??

That brought merry laughter out of Streen. It?s been so long since he laughed while in the company of others. He had no idea how much he missed it.

?To be fair, Tash, I don?t think any of us wants to be up an hour earlier.?

?And the cold air?s not much fun either. Though I take it you?re used to it.?

Streen nodded.

Explains why he?s wearing his jumpsuit. Since I?m still wearing my nightgown and robes, I?ll just spend a few minutes gazing before I get too chilly. Tash turned back to the door and banged again. ?Come on Zak. We all agreed to get up at this time and see this ?prisma storm? Keiran mentioned.?

After hearing more murmurs, Tash finally heard Zak shuffling about. A minute later, Zak opened the door. Wearing a shirt and leggings, he stood there for a moment looking at Tash and Streen with bleary eyes.

Tash stifled a giggle. She remembered this was how Zak looked on most mornings while they were at the university. No doubt he?s still as irritable as ever when it comes to him not getting enough sleep.

Running his hand through his hair he muttered, ?Keiran better hopes this lightshow?s good. That?s all I have to say.?

Giving him a hug, Tash said, ?And good morning to you, sunshine.?

All Zak did was moan, though whether he was acknowledging the greeting or the joke, Streen couldn?t say. ?Is everyone else up??

Tash said, ?I think so. Gantoris? the only one I didn?t see enter the lift.?

?Maybe he?s got enough sense to sleep in,? Zak mumbled.

Giving him a disapproving look, Tash said, ?Let?s go check on him.?

A minute later, they were standing outside Gantoris? room watching the door open. When they saw Gantoris, they thought they saw a haunted look on Gantoris? face. A moment later, his face returned to normal.

?Yes?? he asked.

?Morning, Gantoris,? Streen said. ?We?re heading up to the roof to see this prisma storm Keiran mentioned. Remember??

Gantoris only nodded.

Tash noted that there was something not right about Gantoris. Something about his eyes reminded her of Luke?s and Kam?s eyes and the way they sometimes had a haunted look in them.

Gantoris sensed the concern growing in Tash and noted the look of concentration on her face. He made a brief, subtle motion through the Force. So subtle that Tash didn?t notice. For good measure, he did the same to Streen. ?Is there something wrong, Tash?? Gantoris asked.

Tash paused for a moment. ?I don?t know. One moment, you looked like there was something troubling you greatly. And then the next, you look fine.?

?Maybe you?re not fully awake yet, Tash,? Streen suggested.

?Or maybe he?s like me ? wishing he were still back in bed,? Zak added while yawning as he came into Gantoris? view. ?Guess he had as much trouble getting to sleep last night as I did, eh?? Seeing Gantoris? puzzled look, Zak added, ?We couldn?t get what Kirana Ti told us last night about Master

6. JediMaster_Fisto

Aug 30, 2004
    gantoris has some major issues!

7. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Absolutely marvellous post showing how Gantoris was tempted. The sense of predetermination added to the tragedy.

A part of Gantoris knew what was happening, but the realization brought him no clue on how to proceed. The part of him that feared the nightmare and its implications cried out to run away, go get help, or somehow resist the dark man. But the ambition within him was drawn to the offer and was squelching the voice of his rational self. In the end, Gantoris yielded to what he perceived to be his predetermined fate. With a voice of conviction, Gantoris gave his answer freely.
    It's like the old sin of hubris. Good piece of psychological writing.

In the second post I liked the way you wove the different threads together - Gantoris having to use tricks to mask his feelings from Tash and Streen, Zak typically not noticing anything except possibly the women, Kieran's obsession with firness. Everyone really in character.

Poor Kirana Ti - she actually blushed. Wow. That was funny. I guess she's never really had to think outside her culture very often - mind you I guess that goes for all of us.

Very interesting posts. The different backgrounds of the characters make for some clashes of perspectives. :)

8. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    First off, this is post #2000 for me.

Now, JMFisto, you're right about Gantoris having issues. And I think it's safe to say Kyp had even greater issues. Based on the books, Gantoris made peace with these issues at the end. Shame he wasn't able to do so earlier.

Tahi, Zak wasn't there when Gantoris used those tricks. Furthermore, his wits were still fatigued with sleep. As for Kirana Ti, I was inspired by Tenel Ka's reaction when Luke told her her own mother captured him.

Now let's see how they fare in today's training.

Had any of the students believed they were in good physical shape after two days of sparring sessions, they were forced to give up their preconceptions by now, nearing middle of the afternoon of the third day. After Corran returned, Luke started them off with another brief sparring session that served as a warm-up session. For today, he chose to have them develop their Control skills and learn some additional powers associated with this skill. Before he had them begin, Luke told them not to use the Force to lessen the fatigue they were about to experience. He also requested that they reach out in the Force and sense each other?s presence in the Force. He cautioned that as the day goes on, they would sense differences amongst the presences ? differences caused by fatigue and any injuries the individual should suffer. This power was a good way of sensing the general well being of another individual.

He started off with having them use the Force to increase their concentration and focus on a task at hand. The tasks he had in mind, however, weren?t what they were expecting. First off, he wanted them to walk across the beam without extending their arms or looking down. They were to draw on the Force and concentrate on crossing the beam. The beam was also a foot off the ground, so there was no risk of serious injury, or of anyone suffering embarrassment from ?catching? the beam. He also wanted them to stand on their hands, just as he did back on Dagobah. Fortunately, no one was small enough to stand on the soles of their feet while they were standing upside down, so from his perspective they would have an easier time at it.

While the tasks seemed simple, the students soon learned that the tasks were anything but simple. When it came to the beam, many of them had trouble maintaining their balance and fell off repeatedly. The ones who were able to cross the beam did so, but only by walking cautiously. That wasn't what Luke wanted - he wanted to walk across it at a normal pace. He demonstrated to make certain they got the idea. The only ones who were able to do this correctly were Kirana Ti, Kyle, Kam, and Gantoris, though the first three had experience on their side. Kyle walked across beams and narrow ledges on many occasions, and growing up on the Singing Mountain gave Kirana Ti a decent sense of balance. Kam was able to draw on his childhood training a little, while Gantoris was able to catch on, but he moved across the beam too slowly in his own opinion.

As for standing on their heads, everyone had difficulty. Many times they tried to stand on their heads, only to lose their balance and fall ungracefully on their backs and buttocks. Even Kam and Tash had a difficult time. It's been many years since Kam did this, and while Tash experienced standing on her hands while learning gymnastics, it was a prelude to performing tumbles and cartwheels. Thus, whenever she was standing upside-down, her body was in motion, not at rest.

Eventually, Kam, Tash, Kirana Ti, and Gantoris were able to stand on their hands, though their muscles were trembling greatly. Then Luke chose to up the ante by shifting his body with utter ease so that he was standing on his left hand. That action broke the concentration of the others, and the inevitable happened.

Tash and Kirana Ti were looking at him, shaking their heads in disbelief. Just when it couldn't get more difficult, Tash thought, knowing she was thinking exactly what Zak was thinking.

9. JediMaster_Fisto

Aug 30, 2004
    i liked that post!

especially the part where Kam uses the force to boost his speed. thats really kool!

10. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    JMF, when it comes to their powers, I draw upon their d6 and d20 RPG stats. What Kam did was the same thing Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan used to escape the droids on the Trade Federation ship in TPM - Burst of Speed. This is a d20 Force Feat, and Kam's stats in the NJOSB indicate that he knows this feat.

Here's a short transfer, and I'm certain you Tionne fans will enjoy it.

Tionne sat down on the stone floor, relishing the cold as it soothed her throbbing leg muscles, though it did nothing for her mental fatigue or the confusion in her spirit. Yesterday Master Skywalker had her and the others concentrate on developing their Control skills; today it was their Sense skills: sensing the Force; enhancing their senses; learning to sense the thoughts of others. In doing the latter they also began to develop their mental shields. While she was pleased that it was getting easier for her to sense the Force, she wasn't able to perform any of the others skills. At first, she became discouraged and disheartened with her lack of progress. But she then noticed the confusion on the others, so she began to wonder.

Towards the end of the day, Master Skywalker had them gather in the Grand Chamber, where he demonstrated how one can enter a state of what he called emptiness - a state where their luminous being is enveloped in the light of the Force while they meditate on the nature of the Force. Just as hibernation trance can recharge their "physical" battery, this state of meditation can recharge their mental and "Force" batteries. Other than Kyle and Kam, Kirana Ti was the only one who was able to achieve this state. Much to Tash's embarrassment, and his own, Zak actually dozed off while attempting to reach this state. Once again, she noted the confusion that was apparent on the other's faces.

Maybe someone else can make the lessons clearer, she thought. At first, the only ones she could think of were Kam, Kyle, and Tash. However, Kyle seemed to be preoccupied, and while Master Skywalker said that Kam would be helping him, he had yet to call upon Kam. As such, Kam was unwilling go around Master Skywalker?s authority. Tionne thought Tash could help clarify the lessons, but Tash politely turned her down, saying until she could understand the lessons correctly, she didn't want to take a chance and make a mistake that would lead to devastating results for Tionne. Fortunately for Tionne, she knew of one other source for help.

She was currently in one of the library rooms, and placed before her was the Holocron. She recalled the first time she activated the Holocron, two nights ago.

Following Master Skywalker's instructions, she activated it. A small hologram appeared above the cube. It was the hologram of an alien species she had never encountered before - a cross between an insect and a crustacean.

"Greetings, Jedi," it said. "I am Bodo Baas, the gatekeeper of the Holocron. Do you have a question for me?"

Although Master Skywalker had told her what to expect, the reality of the situation still surprised her. "Yes. Yes I do." Rather than ask the question she wanted to ask, she said, "What... what are you?"

"I am the Jedi Master who serves as the gatekeeper of this Holocron."

Tionne couldn't stop herself from smiling. "No. What I meant was what species are you?"

The gatekeeper lowered his head and said, "Though I am a Krevaaki by race, I have lived as a Jedi."

"I'm sorry. It's just I have never seen a Krevaaki before." She went on to explain what she wanted to learn from the Holocron.

In response, the gatekeeper said, ?Your quest for knowledge is admirable, and in seeking to learn the past, you will gain wisdom. But you cannot acquire all the information contained within this Holocron. You are not ready for some of it. Also, there is no passion; there is serenity. Your quest may become your passion.?

When she met Artoo, she was surprised to find a droid having a personality. Now, she was surprise

11. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Zak found himself wishing he had that ability years ago. That way, he could sleep in late, and with this ability, get up, get dressed, grab something to eat, and get to the first class before the bell rang within five to ten minutes.
    Boy - I could use that skill, too.

Interesting that Corran couldn't enter the hibernation trance, while Brakiss could. Is there a reason for this beyond Corran's control freak persona? ;)

Much to Tash?s embarrassment, and his own, Zak actually dozed off while attempting to reach this state.
    LOL Dear old Zak. I have a feeling I would do the same.

Now, she was surprised to see that the Holocron had a personality of sorts as well. The way it spoke to her intimidated her, sort of like how Master Skywalker intimidated her at times.
    Nice bit of characterisation there. I can relate to Tionne here. :) I like the way she talked her way round the fusty old gatekeeper to get what she wanted. You go, girl. :)

12. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    Yes, Tahi. There's a reason why Corran couldn't go into a healing trance. You read I, Jedi, right? If so, then you should remember after they defeated Exar Kun, Corran was messed up bad. He spent time in a bacta "bed", I believed it was called, and if I remember correctly, during that time, he wished he could have entered a healing trance so he could recover more quickly. So the book established that he couldn't enter a hibernation trance at that time. As for why, I think it's because of what you said - him being a control freak. As for Tionne, she probably learned to sweet-talk so as to gain employment and to get out of bad situations from time to time. Besides, she wasn't seeking access to Force powers, feats, and skills that the Gatekeeper would deem inaccessible to her at this point. She was seeking his help to help understand things she had recently learned.

Tionne wasn?t the only one preparing to gain knowledge that night. The Dark Man had come to Gantoris the previous night, offering to teach him more about the Force; however, the Dark Man wanted Gantoris to come to a temple out in the jungle. A temple no one knew about. Alone.

As much as Gantoris wanted to go, he knew that to do so might arouse Master Skywalker?s concerns and suspicions. He needed to overcome that hurdle before he could go to the temple. And he believed he came up with a way to do that. He waited until he was alone with Luke and Streen before asking permission to explore the surrounding jungle.

?I?m strongly against you going out into the jungle alone, Gantoris.?

?Well I won?t be going alone. I?m planning to go with Streen. Unless you have any objections??

Streen, taken off-guard by Gantoris? subsequent invitation, stammered, ?Well??

?Even if Streen were to accompany you, the jungles of this moon are beset with dangers,? Luke replied. ?And you are only just beginning to learn to defend yourselves with the Force.?

?But this would be an excellent opportunity for us to put what we?ve learned into practice. We can reach out to sense the dangers posed by the animals in the forests and steer away from them. And, being alone with me, Streen might have an easier time shielding his mind from my thoughts.?

Luke saw Streen brighten with that prospect. The mental shields he?d been working on were barely adequate for his needs.

?Regardless of how skilled you two are in the Force, chances are that right now they?re not enough to match a predator?s sense of smell,? Keyan said. He approached the others as they turned to face him. ?Something out there picks up your scent, you might not be ready to defend yourselves before it attacks. Didn?t mean to interrupt, but I was passing by and I overheard everything.?

?Keyan?s point is valid,? Luke said.

Gantoris was trying think of another argument when Keyan interjected. ?What if I take these two and teach them how to use a blaster? That way, they?ll be ready to defend themselves should it becomes necessary.?

Gantoris, who was beginning to resent Keyan?s intrusion, now actually felt a sense of gratitude towards him.

Luke pondered the situation carefully. He wanted them to develop their abilities at their own rates, but at the same time he wanted to exert some control over their progress. That way, they wouldn?t be making any of the mistakes he made. With reluctance in his voice, he said, ?Very well. Just be certain you?re back here by midmorning. A supply shuttle will be arriving and I would like you to help with the unloading. Consider it another means of practicing your skills.?

?Thank you, Master Skywalker,? Streen said.

?Yes. Thank you,? Gantoris repeated.

Clapping them on the shoulders, Keyan said, ?Come on, you two. I?ll break out the blasters and the remotes??

Keyan?s voice trailed off as he, Gantoris, and Streen left and headed towards one of the rooms in the lower levels. While he had feelings of misgivings over Gantoris? and Streen?s

13. JediMaster_Fisto

Aug 30, 2004
    that was a short post, but it was still good.

wats going to happen next?

14. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    JMF, that post might have been short, but that one and this one are lead-ins to the one coming next week. I won't spoil things, but by the time you finish with this post, you'll get an idea on what's coming next week.

Also, this will be the final transfer from the classic boards. Starting next week, the posts will be all new, all original.

Pushing aside a limb, Gantoris waited for Streen to pass by. After two hours of trudging through the jungles, both of them were covered with dirt and vegetation. They were fast approaching the time where they would have to turn back and return to the Great Temple. Based on what the Dark Man had told him, they were also fast approaching their destination.

Before their departure, Luke had given them additional instructions. He asked them to develop their resourcefulness, work on their concentration, and reach out in the Force to sense and study the native wildlife. He also mentioned that based on their progress, he would consider sending pairs of students out in the jungle to do the same.

During their journey, both were able to sense the presence of the wildlife, most of which watched them curiously or fled. Gantoris commented that they were fortunate they didn?t run into a pack of woolamanders yet. The image of Keiran covered in fruit entered their minds, eliciting a chuckle from both of them. Neither of them wanted to receive a shower of fruit juices.

On a few occasions, they felt a sense of danger ? most likely the result of a predator nearby watching them, seeing if they were potential prey. As the predators were hidden, they couldn?t identify them, but they did hear rustling that diminished, indicating the predators were leaving them alone. However, they were able to identify one predator ? or rather a swarm of them. They heard a telltale buzz coming from high above them, and knew a swarm of bright blue piranha beetles were nearby. Streen hunkered down, lying himself flat on the ground floor, hoping that the swarm wouldn?t notice them. He was relieved when the droning buzz lessened, then disappeared.

What Streen didn?t know was that the predators weren?t leaving by their own will. They became uneasy with their potential preys, thinking they were a potential threat. This was all Gantoris? doing, for the Dark Man had shown him a means of defending himself from lesser creatures. Gantoris was using the Force to generate an aura of unease around himself. Intelligent beings were unaffected by this ability, so Streen knew nothing about Gantoris? ability.

During their trek they talked about various things ? their childhood, the people they knew, though in Streen?s case the number was small.

?I still can?t believe that there are plants floating through the air on Bespin,? Gantoris said.

Giving a brief laugh, Streen said, ?They may be nothing more than floating islands of moss carpets, but they do provide food for some of the creatures on Bespin.?

?Are any of those plants edible??

?Don?t know. Don?t think so, though.?

?I don?t think you would have liked the fungus that grew in the geyser holes on Eol Sha. Never good tasting to start with, they often had the taste of sulfur if they were picked after a geyser eruption.? Gantoris shuddered at the memory of the taste. Compared to Eol Sha, Dantooine and Yavin Four were dreams come true. Then again, in his mind nearly every other planet in the galaxy was a better place to live on than Eol Sha.

He was brought up short by what was before him.

?Gantoris? Gantoris?? Getting no response, Streen shuffled around him to see what silenced Gantoris.

There was a crystal clear lake before them with an island in the middle. There was an obsidian bifurcated pyramid on the island, and within the bifurcation was a large statue, though they couldn?t make out the details. When they reached out to the Force?

?There?s a lot of power coming from that place,? Streen said.

?Like a geyser waiting to burst forth,?

15. Haz

Haz Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2005
    Lurker delurking!
    I've really enjoyed your posts, I find the characters to be very believable! I hope you will post more soon.
    Lurker goes back to her corner, at least for a little while.

16. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Oooh! Things are building up nicely. :) I kind of feel sorry for Gantoris - you write him very well.

Streen is a character who we seldom see in fan fic - and so it's good to see him featuring so strongly here. :)

Another two fine posts. Looking forward to the new material. :)

17. Kerensa

Kerensa Jedi Youngling

Jan 21, 2004
    People need to see this on page 1. :)

18. JediMaster_Fisto

Aug 30, 2004
    is exar kun gonna kill gantoris soon?

19. JediMaster_Fisto

Aug 30, 2004
    hello????? where r u??? we need more!!! please? :D

20. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    First off, I'd like to apologize for the month-long delay. First off, I've faced what Tahi has been facing for a long time: Darth Real Life. Second, of course, was the release of RotS. I needed to see if the final movie would change my game plan a little, or if I needed to go back and correct some things. Fortunately, the latter didn't happen. As for the former, I will say it gave me an idea for a future chapter. You'll just have to wait. Tied into this is the release of the Dark Forces article at WotC. Not only did they give me an idea for another future chapter, they were most useful in clarifying some facts for the next installment. I think I should notify you all that since the posts from here on out are brand new and originals rather than transfer, the time between posts may be longer. So I ask that you bear with me.

Now, first off, I'd like to welcome Haz and Kerensa to the forums. I'm glad you're both enjoying this. Hopefully you two will decide to stop lurking and become active members. And Haz, I hope you find the key characters in this part to be just as believeable.

Next, Tahi, glad to see you're still liking this.

Finally, JMF, Gantoris will be around for a while yet. Remember, I'm tying this in with the JAT and I, Jedi, so the scenes where Gantoris appeared has to happen first. Let me put it this way - when I get to the point where Luke and Gantoris have their lightsaber duel, you'll know Gantoris' death is imminent.

Now, on to the next part, and for the record, I had planned to post this around Memorial Day. Unfortunately, DRL stayed my hand. Anyway, here we go.

Wedge eased off on the thrusters and finished bringing the X-23 StarWorker space barge in for a landing. As he waited for the ramp to descend from the pilot?s compartment, he thought back over the past few days. Needing to take a break from managing the construction droids on Coruscant, he informed Admiral Ackbar that he was willing to take on any assignment, however menial. He was pleased when Ackbar offered him a cargo delivery duty to Luke?s academy. It?s been some time since he flew a cargo transport, but he knew he was an old hand when it came to ships of any type. Two things were for certain ? this barge was the slowest thing he?d flown in a long time, and Wes was going to needle him about it the first chance he got.

He took the job immediately for several reasons. First off, after everything Luke?s done for the New Republic, the least he could do for his old friend was help him get the academy in tiptop shape. Secondly, he knew the identities of seven of the students attending Luke?s academy, and he was curious about the identities of the other five.

The third reason hit him like a blaster bolt as he entered the system. He realized that it had been over a decade since the Battle of Yavin. He had a feeling that the New Republic probably wanted to hold a ceremony of some sort to commemorate the tenth anniversary of that battle, and of the sacrifices many good pilots ? and many good friends ? made on that day. But Palpatine?s return brought any such plans to a screeching halt. His mind wandered back in time as he remembered all who died on that day and wished once again that they were alive and well right now.

After he landed, he saw Luke, Gantoris, and Streen come up to greet him. He told Gantoris about how his fellow colonists from Eol Sha were faring and brought Luke up to speed on the happenings on Coruscant in a nutshell. He finished in time to see another two candidates come out of the hangar, neither of whom he immediately recognized. One was a man from a species he didn?t recognize ? olive-skinned with ridges on his head. The other was a woman with long, brown hair who dressed in some kind of primitive leather clothing and armor. There was something about her ? a presence ? that made Wedge immediately liken her to Plourr Illo. He was about to turn to Luke and ask whom she was when he stepped forward and made the introduction.

?Ah, good. You?r

21. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Here I am at last. Ah - DRL! Sorry he's got you in his grips, too. Don't worry if it takes you longer to write posts. I completely understand.

Two things were for certain ? this barge was the slowest thing he?d flown in a long time, and Wes was going to needle him about it the first chance he got.
    LOL So true. Poor Wedge.

I loved the dialogue between Zak and Wedge - silly old Zak. It was also good to have the scene in JAT where Wedge arrives at the Academy expanded so nicely. I thoroughly enjoyed the way you fleshed that out. I especially liked the idea of the memorial day for those who fought at Yavin. That was very cool. :)

All in all this was faultless, and it fits in so seamlessly with the canon. Fantastic work. :)

BTW - I nominated this story for several categories in the awards. My way of thanking you for a great story. :)

22. sabers12

sabers12 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2005
    this is a good story!!! wens the next post???

23. Skye_Organa

Skye_Organa Jedi Youngling

Sep 14, 2004
    I've only just found your story, it'll take a while to read it all but what I've read is great. I love your writing style.

24. voxynking

voxynking Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2005
    Well I gotta admit this fic is great. I'm difinitely hooked. I don't have lots of internet time so I'm not totaly caught up. I have to save the pages to the computer. But so far it's great. I can't wait also to see some of the jedi finding relationships. It's obvious Tioone and Kam get together in the end but it'll be neat to see how. I don't think any authors go into any big jedi pairs. Big dissapointment. Update soon

25. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    Well, as you can see, I'm finally back. DRL and work have put a dampener on my time to write. Furthermore, considering what coming up in this part, I needed to do some research and gather my facts. Now that I have, I can make my next post. And considering the length of the next section, it'll be in two parts.

Ah the ever loyal Tahi. Glad you liked the last part. I'm certain you'll enjoy this one.

About the one good thing about the delay is that I got three new readers. Welcome aboard, sabers12, Skye_Organa, and voxynking. Hope you continue to enjoy this.

Now before any of you read this next part, you should go back and reread the sections on the history of the order and where Kyle is one of the primary characters. I've integrated some info from ROTS and the WOTC articles dealing with the Jedi Knight games into the story, so take a look at the additions and revisions. Having said that, let's pick up where we left off.

An hour after the midday meal, nearly all the students were located at a small clearing to the side of the landing area. Some were seated on the ground while others were standing, but they were all engaged in idle chatter, speculating on what they would be facing next. Tash and Zak were telling Keyan about their encounter with Wedge on Gobindi when Zak noticed Keiran and Kyle approaching them. However, the lightsabers that were dangling from their belts were what grabbed his attention. Wait, I thought Kyle said he gave up his lightsaber. And since when did Keiran have a lightsaber? Following them were Luke and Kam, and they had their lightsabers as well. Zak also noticed Kam was carrying a satchel of some sort, while Luke was carrying something wrapped in a piece of cloth. Zak started to get a feeling as to what their next set of lessons was going to be.

After Corran and Kyle sat on the ground, Luke began addressing the students. ?As I have said before, I have brought you here to learn the ways of the Jedi and the Force. There are a number of ways of learning to reach out to the Force. I have already taught you several ways ? meditation, reaching out to sense the myriad of life that surrounds us, and tapping the Force to enhance your own abilities. Kam and I will show you another way of doing this, and it involves the weapon of the Jedi Knights ? the lightsaber.?

Zak couldn?t keep a grin off his face as he cheered inside. Yes! I knew it! He looked around and could see similar reactions on most of the others. Streen and Dorsk 81 looked uncertain, and Tionne had a look of wonder on her face, while Keiran, Kyle, and Keyan looked subdued.

Luke noted the looks of excitement on some of his students? faces. He knew that was bound to happen, and didn?t know whether that was a sign of the dark side taking hold, or just a natural reaction of a sentient being. He hoped that in time their enthusiasm would be tempered by understanding the responsibilities that come with having a lightsaber.

?The lightsaber. It?s, as Obi-Wan told me, ?not as clumsy or as random as a blaster, but an elegant weapon for a more civilized age?. Anyone can use this, just like anyone can use a blaster or fusioncutter. However, carrying a lightsaber is a testament to incredible skill and confidence, dexterity and attunement to the Force. For when you wield a lightsaber, you don?t treat it as a weapon, but as an extension of yourself. It is a part of you, and the one companion that will always stay with you. And in time, you will learn to do just that.? Looking at Corran, Kam, and Kyle, he asked, ?Can you pass your lightsabers around so that the others may examine them?? Turning to the others, he admonished, ?Just examine them. Don?t even think of activating them.? Having said that, he handed his own lightsaber to Brakiss, and waited until everyone had a chance to examine them.

As Corran waited for the others to finish examining the lightsabers, he thought he knew exactly what they were feeling ? the same thing he felt when he wielded his