main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Glance through the Looking Glass (JA)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by jedi_master_gimpy, May 3, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_master_gimpy

jedi_master_gimpy Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    Hi there everybody!! This is the third JA story I've posted here, and I appreciate any feedback whatsover! Let me know what you think, please!
    =======================================

A Glance through the Looking Glass

A reflection in a mirror,
    A moment frozen in time.
    A world staring back at me,
    With perfect reason and rhyme.
    Until a slight shift,
    Just a bend or a crack.
    The image becomes distorted,
    It fades into black.
    The image staring back at me
    Is no longer my own.
    A twisted reality,
    Shattered by stones.
    So close and yet so far,
    Only an illusion of me.
    But can I ever get back
    To how it used to be?
    ========================================

Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn stepped just inside the mouth of the dark cave. He stood on a flat ledge engraved in a steep cliff, a lush green valley spread below. The bright sunshine of Tetras beat against the tall Jedi?s back but he ignored it, reaching out through the Force to try to feel that one elusive, dangerous presence. His midnight blue eyes narrowed. Xanatos was here somewhere.

Behind and a few steps to the side of Qui-Gon sixteen year-old Obi-Wan Kenobi was alert for any sign of danger. ?He?s hiding himself well, Master.? Obi-Wan said, tugging on his Padawan braid. ?I can?t sense his presence, only a vague impression that he?s close by.?

?We must be very careful, Padawan. Xanatos is very smart and even more bloodthirsty than we thought,? Qui-Gon warned. The Jedi Master?s former Padawan was quick to anger and had fallen from the Jedi Order. Only a few years before he had held the entire Jedi Temple captive. Xanatos was also suspected of being behind a recent bombing that killed hundreds of people and covered up a major robbery. It was then that the Council had given Qui-Gon permission to hunt him down.

When the Council traced Xanatos to Tetras they had been reluctant to let Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan go. The planet was an unstable time vortex, the unseeable threads called Time and Place entwined and crossed at the planet, past meeting future and present and occasionally trapping people in between or transporting them to other places.

The two Jedi fully stepped into the shady, cool interior of the cave. Near the back it was dim, although not terribly so. Qui-Gon led the way down the ever-darker tunnel, guiding himself by the Force more than by sight. A few turns later the two Jedi ignited their lightsabers so that they could see easier. Two bright blades ? one blue and one green ? snapped into existence, casting their silvery sheen on the rock walls surrounding them.

Master and Padawan had just entered a small, rocky cavern when Qui-Gon felt a small warning ripple through the Force. . ?Obi-Wan!? the older Jedi called even as he brought his lightsaber around to block Xanatos?s ruby blade as appeared out of nowhere, crashing down in a blow meant to sever his head from the rest of his body. Obi-Wan deflected a blow of his own as Xanatos whirled, the former Padawan?s movements almost faster than the eye.

The fallen Jedi drew back for a moment to circle them warily, pacing as a jungle cat paces around his prey, playing with it. His dark hair hung past his shoulders, long and shining as black as the emptiness in his heart. Ice blue eyes watched them unwavering, unspeakable hatred glaring out from them. A small half-circle was imprinted upon his cheek, a scar from long ago. Xanatos.

?Qui-Gon Jinn,? Xanatos said mockingly, his voice ringing out and sounding so much younger than his experienced appearance would incline. ?To what do I owe this pleasure? Out trying to save the galaxy again??

Qui-Gon remained calm, refusing to be baited even as tendrils of anger threatened to wind themselves around his mind. What had he created? What had Xanatos become? Every encounter Qui-Gon had with his former Padawan Xanatos had seemed to be more and more full of hatred. ?The Council is extremely worried about you, Xanatos,? he said smoothly. He sounded completely under control, Qui-Gon thought smugly. ?They believe you may have something to do with the bombi

2. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

JediKnight-Obi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 13, 2000
    Ohhh neato! Another story. I have another story thought almost all the way through myself,but haven't gotten the chance to start it yet.
    Senior year....sigh...that should explain it. LOL
    Great start gimpy!!!
    I see wonderful possibilities with this.

3. OldSkippy

OldSkippy Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2000
    A wealth of possibilities!

Great start.

4. Maelisaandii

Maelisaandii Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 3, 2000
    Great start, ma'am! I like very much. However, I must inquire about the last part to "A Jedi's Redemption". <gets out her cattle prod and waves it menacingly>

5. jedi_master_gimpy

Jan 12, 2000
    Thanks everyone! JKOW I know what you mean about school taking up one's time (that's why I probably won't be able to post very often on this story for a few more weeks ) I hope you get that new story thought through and posted soon! *hint,hint*

OldSkippy, once again your presence is extremely nice to have!! Thanks for telling me about that one part, is it better now? redface.gif confused.gif

And Maelisaandii... redface.gif whatever would you be referring to? redface.gif Put that cattle prod away! I'm sure you must be mistaken and if you go check in a little while the rest of it will be there...

Okay people, I'll try to have more up tonight but I have work today after school, so I won't be able to get online till around nine or nine thirty.

6. Kelly Kenobi

Kelly Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2000
    How happy am I A new story by master_gimpy and one with so many possibilities!!!! This is such a great start, I can hardly wait to see what time and place our heroes will find, very interesting idea.

I know you are very busy right now, but don?t forget your faithful fans. We are important too!!!

Love your work, it always makes my day to see you post on any one of your threads!!!

7. jedi_master_gimpy

Jan 12, 2000
    Eeeek!! I've only posted one segment and it's already on page THREE?!? I hope this post gets a few more readers in here! and Kelly, glad to have you with us over here! Here ya go...
    ==========================
    ==========================

Qui-Gon whirled and slashed to block the blows, fully immersed in the flow of the Force. Beside him Obi-Wan was performing his own dangerous dance. Though the web of the Force that flowed between them Qui-Gon could sense Obi-Wan?s thought and feelings. They worked as a team, each knowing what the other was doing and about to do. Slowly but surely, Master and Padawan drove Xanatos back, trying to trap him up against the stone walls where he would have a harder time gaining momentum for his blows.

The former Jedi seemed oblivious to their trick, his whole concentration spent trying to avoid attacks on two sides. It proved to be Obi-Wan?s downfall. Xanatos was two feet from the rocky wall when he pulled in the Force to do a front flip over their heads. Too late Qui-Gon realized that the dark Jedi had sensed their intents all along and it was he who had pulled the wool over their eyes. But it was too late.

Xanatos twisted as he flipped, landing facing the two Jedi. Qui-Gon whirled, knowing he was too late to block the blow screaming down towards his chest?Obi-Wan threw himself in front. The younger Jedi had no second of time to bring his own lightsaber around, but the deep love inside of him hurtled him in front of his Master, taking the deathblow for him.

Obi-Wan?s face looked shocked as the ruby blade slid into his chest. His face turned white as a shudder ran through his young body. Xanatos pulled the blade back out, a look of surprise crashing over his face. His target had been his former Master, the person he hated most in the galaxy. He hadn?t meant to kill Obi-Wan. Yet. Xanatos turned to Qui-Gon, his grin feral as the Jedi Master stared in horror as Obi-Wan crumpled to the ground. But then again, the best way to hurt his old Master was to make him watch his beloved Padawan die.

Qui-Gon turned to Xanatos, fire burning in his deep blue eyes. Xanatos?s grin grew wider. The stoic Jedi Master was giving in to his hate. His anger. The one thing he had vowed never to do, Qui-Gon Jinn was doing. The older Jedi threw himself at Xanatos, landing blow after blow, pushing Xanatos back towards the center of the cabin. Xanatos seemed surprised at the force the Master was placing in his attacks.

Qui-Gon suddenly came to himself. What was he doing? He paused in his attacks. This was what Xanatos wanted. Giving in to his anger would do nothing to avenge Obi-Wan. It was only helping Xanatos. Qui-Gon reined in his anger, stepping back from his wild pursuit and looking calmly at Xanatos.

Xanatos stared at him with shock, panting heavily. ?What?s the matter Master Jinn? Are you afraid to fight me??

Just then a huge tremor shook the cavern. Rocks popped loose from the ceiling and clattered across the floor. Xanatos was thrown from his feet and a rock glanced off the side of his head. The former Jedi didn?t move.

Qui-Gon wasted no time in disposing of his old Padawan then. He ran across the dim chamber to his fallen Padawan, his dying son, fighting to remain on his feet as the earth heaved around him. Qui-Gon stumbled to Obi-Wan?s side and knelt beside him, gathering him in his arms. Obi-Wan! No! Not you?not this. Not now, after we?ve been through so much. ?Obi-Wan?? Answer me, please! Tell me you?re okay!

Obi-Wan?s eyes fluttered open, dim recognition in them. ?Mas-master.?

?Shhh, Obi-Wan. It?s okay.? Force, don?t die on me. You can?t die. How will I survive?

?Mas..ter, I?m?sorry.? Obi-Wan tried to talk as his body shivered in an invisible wind. ?I couldn?t?let him?kill you.?

O?Force, why do you have to be so noble, Padawan? Why do you have to be so self-sacrificing? ?Obi-Wan,? Qui-Gon said gently, determined to make the teenager?s last moments happy ones and blinking back tears that threatened to spill over. ?It?s okay. P

8. Knight Obi Wan

Knight Obi Wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 17, 1999
    ok....WHAT JUST HAPPENED?? Explain Gimpy explain!!

9. Norbooboo

Norbooboo Jedi Youngling

Apr 1, 2000
    HOLY FRIJOLES!!!!!!!

10. light_sabe_r

light_sabe_r Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    Interesting! More! NOW!

11. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    More??? Soon???

Kithera

12. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    "Qui-Gon wasted no time in disposing of his old Padawan then." Hmmm, I read that sentence to mean that he disposed of Xanatos very quickly, and I was surprised when Xanatos suddenly came at him again. I suppose you meant that he did not stop to kill him just at that moment.

Anyway, fascinating story, and what a cruel cliffhanger for us readers, leaving Obi-Wan frozen in time just a heartbeat away from being one with the Force! I like the way Xanatos is frozen, too. You'll have to be careful when they come out of this "freeze frame" that Xanatos does not stumble forwards and chop Obi-Wan to pieces, because that's the trajectory that he's following just now.

What's going to happen next? The title suggests that Qui-Gon will wake up in another time and/or place. How will he get back to Obi-Wan in time to prevent Xanatos from making mincemeat of him, and what sort of adventures will he have on the way? More! Now! More! Now!

13. HealerLeona

HealerLeona Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2000
    Another keeper jedi_master_gimpy, now I'd like to ask a favor. Would it be possible to add a few hours to the day so I can keep up on all your wonderful stories, pretty please?

14. Kelly Kenobi

Kelly Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2000
    Wowsers!!!!! I am with you HealerLeona a few extra hours each day would be nice, there are so many wonderful JA era threads I am trying to read right now I can hardly keep up, but I love it.

With Mothers Day next week I think the best Mothers Day gift I could get would be for all my favorite Young Obi stories (that would be any and all Young Obi stories) that are still WIP to have a good long update and then archive all of them at some site so I could find them easily any time I need to feed my addiction with a good fix of Obi torture and all the mushy stuff that goes along!!!

15. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

JediKnight-Obi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 13, 2000
    WOW gimpy that is amazing. I knew there was so many different ways this story could go and this is a certainly interesting way.
    Great post!!!

Yeah I pretty much think I have my new story thought through. It is based sorta on this movie I watched. LOL I just haven't had the time to write any of it.
    I have THREE test on monday, one is a final exam. And I have to go to my sisters graduation tomorrow. SOOO. LOL

Back to this story, another post here would hot.

16. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Yay! I finally got around to start reading this story! I tried to yesterday, but it got too late. Anyway, I just want to say that I love this story! You do have a thing for killing Obi though, don't you? Anyway, I am eagerly looking forward to the next post!

17. OldSkippy

OldSkippy Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2000
    Well, I'm very happy that I'm in the (seeming) minority who don't go to school any more , though I refuse to be sorry for you!

Part one was fixed beautifully.

It must have been very bewildering to see the rocks go through Obi-Wan and Xanatos, lucky Qui-Gon is so quick on the uptake. I hope he gets to a Time where Xanatos doesn't exist but Obi does so he can move the lad out from under that dropping blade.

So many possibilities still...

18. Maelisaandii

Maelisaandii Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 3, 2000
    Gak! Explain yourself, missy! Oooh, this is cool. I envy all your great ideas.

19. jedi_master_gimpy

Jan 12, 2000
    Heheh, thanks for all the replies. *crings* Sorry it took me so long to get more up, I've been really busy.

Knight Obi Wan and Maelisaandii - all I will say on the matter is that recall from the first post that Time and Place have a tendency to mix and cross on Tetras. It will all be revealed later...

Jane Jinn - I said that purposely so that Xanatos's entry back into the fight would be more surprising. I'm glad you liked his little 'freeze frame' thingy there!

HealerLeoan and Kelly - Let me just call up my very good friend Mace Windu on the Jedi council and see if I can arrange that for you..

JKOW - thanks as always for replying. I'm sorry about all your tests, and I hope everything goes well on them!! Please write and post your new story as soon as possible!

Bastet - Heheh, of course!! It wouldn't be a Gimpy JA story unless I killed Obi-Wan off at least once!

OldSkippy - tongue.gif Not even a touch of sympathy for those of us stuck with school still? You may regret that when I don't post anymore with finals coming up!! And thanks again for letting me know about that part in the first post.

20. jedi_master_gimpy

Jan 12, 2000
    Here ya go! Sorry this post is so short, but I have a good excuse! If you go check out "To Live Life as Strangers" I got a whole other long post up!
    ============================

Qui-Gon was falling, falling, falling?He plummeted through the air and then was yanked to a stop. The large Jedi?s body hung in space like a doll held limply on invisible strings. Qui-Gon opened his eyes.

The world around him spun disoriently, colors and lights shooting by his confused eyes in a blur. There were sounds, too. Shouts, yells, quiet conversations, a machine beeping, the roar of an engine all mixed together and whirling around Qui-Gon as well.

It slowly spun to a stop, the images resolving themselves into a busy street. People hurried past Qui-Gon; looking at him strangely as the tall Jedi leaned against the building next to him, telling the mini banthas in his head to stop stampeding around like that. Where was he? Qui-Gon looked around in confusion. This certainly wasn?t Tetras; it was too loud and noisy for that small backwater world. In fact, if he didn?t know better Qui-Gon would say it was Coruscant. But it couldn?t be.

Qui-Gon finally trusted his legs to hold him enough to release his death grip on the side of the building. He pushed away and slowly stepped away before being swept up in the moving crowd and pushed down the street. Qui-Gon glanced around him for some sign of where he could be. What had happened?

The last thing the stern Jedi Master remembered was being thrown to the ground in the tremors that shook the strangely silent, frozen cave on Tetras. Where in the Force was he now? Qui-Gon stopped in the middle of the sidewalk as familiar spires rose above the buildings in front of him, revealing the presence of the magnificent Senate building of the Old Republic. People bumped into him from behind, muttering and walking around. Qui-Gon paid them no heed. The Senate building. Coruscant. He was on Coruscant.

Qui-Gon?s mind tried to comprehend that. Coruscant...? How? Qui-Gon hurried through the crowds until he reached the magnificent Senate housing and took a turbolift to the highest level accessible by the public. The stern Jedi Master hurried to a set of large, open windows that afforded a view of the city, some deep urgency guiding him.

The Jedi Temple should be right over the- Qui-Gon drew in a deep breath. This was indeed Coruscant. But the Jedi Temple was gone.

21. light_sabe_r

light_sabe_r Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    Cool beans! Will he run into Anakin/Darth or Obi-Wan?

Or else, Is he back before the first of the thousand generations guarded peace in the republic.

Or is he in Luke's time? (I can't remember if the senete building is still there)

22. Knight Obi Wan

Knight Obi Wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 17, 1999
    Let him be in Luke's time!! He would think it was Anakin at first!! Oh the explanations!

23. HealerLeona

HealerLeona Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2000
    Another awesome post.

And good luck with Master Mace.

24. Ejedir

Ejedir Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2000
    Hello people? Meet Obi-Wan? K, there are two outcomes to answer that. Qui-Gon is swept to whatever time he's in, and Obi-Wan is left in the cave with a lightsaber slash. Think he's gonna come out of the cave alive and well? Or he's stuck in that cave 'til Qui-Gon comes back. Right, meaning, no meetin' Obi, unless some miracle happens. As to meeting Darth/Anakin, well, if Qui-Gon never gets back to where he's supposed to be, Anakin won't be found out for his strength in the force, so, yeah, and that means no Luke, and that means the Death Star blows up the Rebel base on Yavin IV. Does this look really bad to anyone else? There's my little philosophy, if I just ruined your story, tell me to shut-up. Sorry, and tell no one to look at this post. Keep up the postin' Your Gimpyness, you're awesome!

25. jedi_master_gimpy

Jan 12, 2000
    *cringes* Sorry everyone, I had this HUGE report I was working on all weekend.

And as for your guesses, none of them are exactly correct. This post will explain a bit more of it, although I'm warning you that a lot more will happen along this line of events (the situation will get a LOT more complicated). so, stay tuned!

Qui-Gon looked around the giant Coruscant library around him. The library was spacious and quiet with a solemn air to it. Qui-Gon was still in somewhat of a daze; this place didn?t feel right.

He crossed the large room and took a seat at one of the computer terminals. Qui-Gon logged on and drew in a deep breath as today?s date blinked at the top of the screen. It was three years ago, when Obi-Wan would have been thirteen. But the Jedi Temple had been here three years ago. It had been here as long as Qui-Gon had been alive. What was going on here?

Qui-Gon didn?t know where to start. He finally decided to pull up all the old news reports and typed in ?Jedi Temple? as the keywords for a search. Dozens of articles appeared and Qui-Gon chose one at random and began reading.

His mind froze halfway through; he couldn?t believe that the galaxy as a whole would be capable of committing this atrocity? Qui-Gon took a couple deep breaths and forced himself to keep reading.

When he had finished Qui-Gon sat back in his chair, beads of sweat upon his forehead. He didn?t want to think about it. No. Not the Jedi Order destroyed like this. Qui-Gon thought back over what he had read. A few years back from this time there had been a major Sith uprising. The Jedi had managed to stop them but only after hundreds of innocent people were killed.

The galaxy had been caught up in a wave of panic. People began to fear anything in relation to the Force as well as those who used it. Including the Jedi. The Senate had been unable to do anything as the galaxy began destroying and defacing everything that related to the Jedi or the Force. The Jedi began to coop themselves up in the Temple. Upon leaving they were verbally assaulted, attacked, and a few even killed.

It was then that it somehow became known how powerful the Jedi Council could be when working together through the Force. Panic on Coruscant reached a climax until one night when hundreds of armed men and women attacked the Temple. They executed the entire Council as well as several other Masters and Knights that night, turning the rest onto the streets before burning the Jedi Temple down.

Horror tore at Qui-Gon?s heart. Yoda, Mace, Adi Gallia?all gone. Murdered. All those young initiates and padawans turned out into the deadly Coruscant streets to fend for themselves?

Qui-Gon shuddered. It was hard to believe, to accept; yet there was no other explanation. He was in the past, but not of his galaxy. No, this was a different place, a different dimension or a different galaxy. A twisted version of what Qui-Gon knew. And if he didn?t get back to his soon, Obi-Wan would die in that cave alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.