main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Good Read Order?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by T-Jedi11, Apr 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-Jedi11

T-Jedi11 Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2003
    Hi, I am new to the EU, I am wondering if anyone could please give me a decent Read Order for the books. I am on book 3 of the Thrawn Trilogy now.

Thanks!

2. chickey

chickey Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 21, 2002
    start in order from first to last. ;-)

or, at least read the W-wing series, thrawn series, jedi academy (or know that this is where kyp durron is entered) hand of thrawn, and then the entire NJO.

yeah, thats the only good books.

3. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Here is a section of the FAQ related to this very question.

As far as I'm concerned, start in either chronological order. Since you've already started TTT, I would recomend going back and reading Truce at Bakura and working from there in the post-ROTJ EU.

4. JediPadawan30

JediPadawan30 Jedi Youngling

Mar 1, 2003
    You started out like I did, with the Thrawn Trilogy. I understand where you're at, so here's an order for post-ROTJ EU reading:
    -Truce at Bakura- you need to go back and read this one. Takes place right after ROTJ.
    -Courtship of Princess Leia- about how Leia and Han and how they finally get married.
    You've already read the Thrawn Trilogy, so after that is:
    -The Jedi Academy Trilogy- this is about Luke setting up his academy on Yavin 4.
    -The Corellian Trilogy- this is about a family trip/mission to the Corellian sector.
    -The Hand of Thrawn Duology- this covers how Luke and Mara get together. Last series before a change in publishing companies. Also last series before the NJO.

Now there are plenty of books in between what I gave you here. The list I just gave you should let you start the NJO comfortably, if that is your plan. You can pick up any NJO book and get a chronology. As for the prequel books, you can read those as you want to to fill things in. I hope this helps you. :D

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    After finishing the Thrawn Trilogy, you can do one of two things:

1) Jump back to fill in the time period between ROTJ and Heir to the Empire, in which case you'd want to read the following books:

-Truce at Bakura
    -The X-Wing series, books 1 to 7 (Rogue Squadron, Wedge's Gamble, The Krytos Trap, The Bacta War, Wraith Squadron, Iron Fist & Solo Command)
    -The Courtship of Princess Leia
    -Tatooine Ghost

2) Continue onward after the Thrawn Trilogy, in which case you'll want to read the following titles:

-Dark Empire (comic series, available in a graphic novel format)
    -The Jedi Academy Trilogy (Jedi Search, Dark Apprentice & Champions of the Force
    -I, Jedi
    -Darksaber
    -X-Wing: Starfighters of Adumar
    -Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy
    -Corellian Trilogy
    -Hand of Thrawn Duology (Spectre of the Past & Vision of the Future)

There's also an X-Wing book called Isard's Revenge that takes place just after/during the Thrawn Trilogy, but I wouldn't reccomend reading that without reading the other X-Wing books first.

6. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    There is also the Young and Junior Jedi Knight series, which are quite good as well.

In my opinion before you start reading the NJO, then I do suggest reading Rogue Planet before Vector Prime as it sets the stage for the invasion, and for the Jedi Vergere. It's a prequel era book just so you know.

7. darth_melvin

darth_melvin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2002
    I generally start with the first page, and then read consecutive pages, reading straight on through until the very last page.

8. Asyr Handor

Asyr Handor Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 11, 1999
    Read them in the order they were published, like people who started them originally did. You get the full ride that way!

9. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I'm copying and pasting from another thread where I give my opinions:

Thrawn Trilogy -> Jedi Academy Trilogy -> Truce at Bakura -> Courtship of Princess Leia -> Junior/Young Jedi Knights (you don't need to read them all, just some to get a feel for the characters) -> Hand of Thrawn -> New Jedi Order

The Thrawn Trilogy is the clear best of the non-NJO EU, which is why I recommend starting wfith them. After that, the books I've recommended have you on a fast track for the NJO. You'll understand enough about the backstories that you should feel pretty comfortable plunging into the NJO. (If you have time, I hear you might want to pick up the Correllian Trilogy too, but I haven't read those yet myself.) Most of the books along your route to the NJO are really pretty good. I do recommend a reading plan that'll set you toward the NJO because it's better than most post-RotJ EU, IMO, and it's certainly the most monumentally important of the EU. You should make that your goal. Then you can go back and pick up some other stuff that'll enrich your understanding of the universe.

Although I will mention that the Clone Wars publishing campaign only started a few months ago, and if you like the prequels, you might get the Boba Fett books and the first few comics and catch that ongoing series right at the beginning and follow it through until Episode III comes out. Then you'll have a really in-depth understanding of the Clone Wars and EIII will probably seem much richer to you.

Also, somebody else advised reading the movie novelizations first. I caution against this. Most of the novelizations bore me out of my mind; they could easily turn you off of Star Wars books. I'd follow the program I recommended above, and then if you want to pick up the novelizations just to enrich your understandings of what happened, you can do that after you finish the NJO. I just don't think they're good material for EU virgins.

-Paul

10. dark_jedi666

dark_jedi666 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Everyone has there own opinion on this. But if you have the time and money, I recommend my guide to the EU.

(Once you finish the Thrawn Trilogy)

1)Shadows of the Empire- A great book, that takes place in between ESB and ROTJ. A good read that fills in many things from the movies.

2) Truce at Bakura-Starts the day after the Battle of Endor. A good book especially it shows Luke's first attempt at training a force-sensative person. (Must Read)

3) X-Wing Series (Books 1-7) - In my opinion the most fun books in the entire EU. Focuses on Rogue and Wraith Squadrons.

4) Jedi Academy Trilogy- This really focuses on how Luke starts to re-build the Jedi. (Must Read)

5) I, Jedi- A stand alone book, that focuses on Corran Horn, a character from the X-Wing novels. It has his story and is written in the first person, it shows Corran's POV of part of the JAT.

6) Black Fleet Crisis- A good trilogy, which has 3 different stories. Other than the Luke storyline, it is a great trilogy.

7) Correllian Trilogy- The first books to give you a real look at the Solo children. Good if you want to get into the NJO.

8) Hand of Thrawn Duology- Another set of books by Zahn, which really set the tone for the NJO. (Must Read)

Now after these you can then head into the NJO. I put must read after books, I feel you need to really understand the New Jedi Order.

I hope this was helpful. I personally read all the books, as it gives me the whole Star Wars story. But as a long time fan, I understand books get expensive, so if you just want to get the essentials for the NJO, read the ones I marked must read.

11. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    See the FAQ.

12. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Read all of the books in chronological order.

13. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Chronological Order

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.