main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Grammar Nazi's Playground

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by 1Yodimus_Prime, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1Yodimus_Prime

1Yodimus_Prime Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2004
    As anyone who has ever beta'd my stories might know, I am by no means capable of being a Grammar Nazi, even if I wanted to. Still, that doesn't mean I don't strive for linguistic accuracy when writing, and I am certain many others here share that sentiment.

And wouldn't you know it, just earlier today I stumbled across a veritable Garden Of Eden of common grammatical mistakes. What's great about this page is all you have to do is hit cntrl/cmd-F and type in the word or phrase you're unsure of, then follow it and find out what your or others are doing wrong (and you're probably doing something wrong :p).

I recall - back in highschool - being shown a list similar to this, but much, much shorter. I've also seen web pages designed in this vein, but not one as easily navigable as this.

Have fun :D
    http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html#errors

2. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    That's nifty. I love how "error" is in three places in the address. [face_laugh]

3. 1Yodimus_Prime

Mar 13, 2004
    Yeah, that cracked me up too. The webmaster considered it SO important, that he created three distinct layers of errorness, allowing the user to surf ever deeper, like navigating some kind of labyrinth of easily confused words.

The Grammar Matrix has you, and you are incorrect. :p

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    This is brilliant, thanks!!

5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Oh, that's a fun place to play!!
    Thanks for the link!

I especially enjoyed the one on y'all as I had a guest lecturer use it incorrectly today and it was quite hysterical!

6. 1Yodimus_Prime

Mar 13, 2004
    For some really good laughs, I highly recommend reading the entry on Quotation Marks. :D

I love how often the incorrect form of a phrase or word turns out to not just be wrong, but in fact mean the exact opposite of what the speaker intends. Grammar loves irony, that's for sure. Great examples are "Quantum Leap" and "Shoe-in/Shoo-in"

7. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Great site! Muchos gracias.

My own personal grammar pet peeves:

they're, their and there...

along with:

your and you're...

[face_mischief]

8. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    Hey Yod.

This site rules.

9. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Reeking havoc vs wreaking havoc

FINALLY, I get it.

10. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    I admit, I was a bit skeptical about the site before delving into it. But he writes explanations with a bit of humor, and admits to a lot of expressions being nonstandard rather than simply calling them "wrong." Plus he has a section of the site devoted to non-errors, which, though certainly not exhaustive, shows that he at least somewhat has his head on his shoulders when it comes to thinking of language.

Anyhow. Nice find. My fancy has been tickled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.