main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Joaquin, CA A Grand Trip

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by MotherPalpatine, Sep 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MotherPalpatine

MotherPalpatine Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
    Yesterday's trip to FIDM and the garmet district was great. I just spoke to the Vice "I was press-ganged and forced to wear a silly hat" Chancellor and she her own book of photos from the exhibit. The Emperor has great video and wonderfully close shots of many, many costumes.

I wish to thank Cruzer' Fett for his allowing four of us to ride along with him in a comfy car. His son was a real trooper for putting up with our searching for fabric also.

The costumes were great but why is Vader always in the dark. It makes it difficult to see detail. There were a couple of mistakes with the costumes as Old Ben was not wearing his belt but we late saw it on Shaak Ti so maybe he was wearing hers. I won't go into the meaning behind that mix up.

Colors of course are different then what we thought so some of you need to prepare to change from black to brown. And my wonderful Son seems to like to wear a lot of caplets. Must be a Naboo thing.

The perfect fabric was found for Vaders cape and after some rough measurements we bought what should be enough for the outer cape and inner cape. Josh will be paying this off for a few months.:D And as a side note, he had to promise me not to cut, trim, or do anything else to his hair without talking to me first or I woldn't let him see or touch the swatch from Vaders cape. Other fabrics were found that will be used for other costumes including she of the silly hat.

(Excuse my typing errors as Exeter is lying across one armm leaving me only one to tpye with right now.)

And...the Crazy Old Wizard surprised me with THE BOOK.
    Just because he felt I needed it now instead of waiting until I could either afford it or it was on sale which I would still have to wait until I could afford. The swatchs and extras are incredible and I will allow others to look.

The other positive part was talking to one of the women in charge of the show and getting her email address so I can send her some questions I had about some costumes that were not on display. She said she would contact the people that would know and get back to me.

It was a grand trip and I thank everyone for going. Those that were unable to make this trip were missed and I really wish you could have been with us but next time.

:* [:D]

2. Cruzer_Fett

Cruzer_Fett Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 31, 2005
    Anytime about the transport, my son wants to go back, I want to go back to get more & better pics, and I just found out this morning by someone who is going to be working at FIDM on Oct 9th, that Oct. 9th is Official Fan Club Day at FIDM and they're encouraging everyone to show up in their costumes. A repeat trip anyone??? Might be a pretty fun day to be there!!!

3. mrcottonsparrot

mrcottonsparrot Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 26, 2004
    Ah yes, THE BOOK.

Actually we bought "the book" ($50 version) when we went to the gala opening, but of course thought we'd better spring for THE BOOK (big version) on Friday before all the vultures descended over the first weekend (present company NOT included I'm sure, in that 'vultures' reference...)

It's like night and day. I actually had to carry the dang thing four blocks because I stupidly thought, "Hey, I'll save time, gas and money and just hop over on the Red Line over and walk down there." Dumb. Easy going down, like I said, it was only four blocks. But LUGGING that thing BACK four blocks...arrgh! I didn't know I'd need the wheelie cart! I almost wanted to cut my own hand off, I could see the blisters forming...I had no idea it would be so much more HEAVY!

But oh, what wonders within -- the way I call it, the $50 version is the official gallery catalog, and the $295 version is the true REFERENCE. It's good to have both -- which now I must have, because Ivo signed 'the book' and I got one of the very last few signed 'THE BOOKS' remaining at FIDM.

I've been petting the swatches. I confess.

That beaded one is awesome. So is the embroidered postcard inside THE BOOK. Our cat literally got on THE BOX and lay down on it, and we were like, "Hey, you, VERY GENTLY get off that!"

The Parrot

4. mileniumhanandshrimp

mileniumhanandshrimp Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 13, 2005
    < I had no idea it would be so much more HEAVY! >

oh, yeah. having been the one to hoist that puppy in and out of the back of my car, i can testify to that. i think it may even have affected my mileage on the trip home... [face_laugh]

< But oh, what wonders within -- the way I call it, the $50 version is the official gallery catalog, and the $295 version is the true REFERENCE. It's good to have both -- which now I must have, because Ivo signed 'the book' and I got one of the very last few signed 'THE BOOKS' remaining at FIDM. >

wouldn't know about that... aside from transport, i've not yet been allowed to touch it. and even then, it was in the box. but i am given to understand that touching gloves have been purchased... so soon i will get to personally swear at how much better the lighting was for their pictures than it was for mine.

< I've been petting the swatches. I confess. >

i was allowed to gently touch one or two of those. humorously enough, one of the fabric merchants in the garment district (who had the right fabric, but in the wrong colour) wanted MP to let her CUT OFF a small piece of one of the swatches, to facilitate her getting some of the right colour. i understand she still lives, but i'm sure it was touch and go for a moment there.

< Our cat literally got on THE BOX and lay down on it, and we were like, "Hey, you, VERY GENTLY get off that!" >

[face_laugh] i've got one of those. she will somehow get into any box, even if it's hermetically sealed, and nap. i had to pry her gently out of my star wars store box that contained my brand-new limited vader jersey, as she weaseled her way into it within nanoseconds of delivery. i mean, i know the first time it's cold enough to actually wear it, it will look like a fur magnet, but it's the principle of the thing. she is also armed with a set of claws that could take out a steel door, so it seemed best to remove her before she started to knead...

5. Cruzer_Fett

Cruzer_Fett Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 31, 2005
    Correction: I was wrong, Oct. 9th is "Fan Day" not "Fan Club Day". And the theme for the day is Fan Costume Day where they are encouraging fans to wear their SW costumes. Any takers on a repeat trip yet??? And I'm being serious!!![face_clown] I need to take some better pics(my Jango pics turned out to dark) and I'd like to take more of Boba, and I've already got requests for material with one guy ready to send me money...yesterday. I figured my son and I could pack a lunch, drinks, snacks, etc., making it a pretty inexpensive trip. We could hang out in the park area part of the day meeting people, taking pics, and then come home sooner so it isn't a full day.[face_thinking]

6. mileniumhanandshrimp

Feb 13, 2005
    cruzer, check your email. i sent you what i got, lo-res for now but that can be remedied if you see some you want in particular.

okay?

7. mileniumhanandshrimp

Feb 13, 2005
    posted by request of Mother Palpatine The (Temporarily) Internet Deficient:

she wants to know most urgently if any of us want to go (back, or for the first time) to FIDM this sunday- specifically october 9th

any takers, contact her directly by PHONE.
    ASAP

lorenzo, you still wanting to go?

8. xdarthsmithiousx

xdarthsmithiousx Jedi Youngling star 3

May 18, 2005
    I'd love to, but alas, no can do. New Job Orientation Sunday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.