main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Great and Completely Doable way to make RotJ perfect!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by keynote23, Mar 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keynote23

keynote23 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jul 26, 2006
    The perfect fix to Return of the Jedi

BOBA FETT SURVIVES UNTIL ENDOR!!

Using the latest in digital effects GL should insert/edit the following scenes

-right after Luke and the falcon part company, cut to the sarlaac. One big burp and rocket boost later and Fett, ruffled but alive lands hard on the desert sands. He picks himself up and begins making his way across the desert

-as the shuttle tydirium gets clearance to head for Endor and makes it's way down, cut to a shot of Slave I coming out of hyperspace and making it's way down after it

-(maybe have a brief scene of him watching from afar as the ewoks take everyone back to the village just so we know he's following them)

-just after the guard outside the bunker is taken prisoner have a scene with Boba talking to the Imperials at the bunker via monitor (similar to when Han spoke to them in disguise later) warning them of Han and Co. making their way down. "They're at the back entrance. They'll be down anytime now." he says. The Imperial in charge nods "You two" he says gesturing to some more Imperials "get ready". The two troopers leave and we cut back to Han and Co. opening the front door about to make their way down unaware that the Imperials have been tipped off...

-as Han and Co. are marched back outside, Fett is with the Imperials waiting for them. "We've got unfinished business Solo" he says right before C3PO decides to get the Imperials attention

-During the battle insert random scenes of Fett flying around shooting at Rebels and taking the occasional shot at Han at the bunker

-Replace the scene where Han shoots a trooper in the head, cut instead to a shot of Boba Fett taking off so that Han just misses him

-Rather than have a random trooper shoot Leia, have Fett land and take the shot that hits Leia in the arm (might want to give him the shot that disables artoo as well?)

-Replace the two troopers who sneak up on Han and Leia with Fett instead. Keep the dialogue but give it to Fett. Now it's Leia who polishes off Fett in the end. Much more appropriate. Leia is the one who finally manages to get Fett off Han's back.
    =========================================================

What do you guys think? I personally think it'd make Han's presence at battle on Endor more urgent and relevant because Han has a lot more to worry about than just hunkering down and shooting at random troopers. It also gives Fett a much better send off.

(If by ANY chance whatsoever a lucasfilm employee reads this and has access to George Lucas I officially release you from any indemnity or the threat of any indemnity from me for use of this idea. Go nuts guys. I just want to make the film better. Take all the credit you like I give you my word you won't hear a peep from me.)

Just in case. ;)

2. Avian005

Avian005 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2009
    I like it, but I very highely doubt they would add this into ROTJ.

3. Juan-King

Juan-King Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2004
    I've always liked the idea that Fett should survive until the Endor battle .

but ROJ would still be left with the Ewoks .

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This is a great idea actually. I like how it gives more relevance and meaningful screentime to Fett, while also giving the shot that Leia takes at the bunker more impact (taking out Fett as opposed to a pair of random stormtroopers).

5. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    I like your idea very much. However, the odds of Lucasfilm using a fan idea are approximately 3720 to 1.

6. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
  7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Should have mentioned this in my post. While I like the idea, Lucasfilm will never do it... and I don't actually want to see more changes made to the films anyway.

8. EstarGuars

EstarGuars Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 20, 2011
    If Boba is killed, EU will be killed at the instant. Blu-Rays can get some cool scenes, and maybe Boba scaping sarlacc, but I don´t want him in ROTJ.

9. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Perfect reason to leave it as it is. Fett's dead, baby. Fett's dead.

10. Jabba_The_Hutt_123

Jabba_The_Hutt_123 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 29, 2003
    A shot of Fett escaping, while the idea is nice for the fans and to establish the whole, is he dead or not issue, would look totally out of place. He's a minor character, if any change is to happen he should remove his 'death' in the first place or leave it alone.

11. BigBoy29

BigBoy29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2004
    I think your proposed plan is a good one.

I would be happy with him crawling out of the Sarlacc - bump into Max Rebo, growl "don't follow me" or some cool jailhouse warning .... and have him do a gunslinger walk off to the twin suns.

This type scene would be absolute dynamite with the fans, while not too heavy-handed with the character insert/replacements of Endor.

12. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    It's already ridiculous that the Ewoks/Rebels defeated the Stormtroopers....adding Fett to the Stormtroopers side just makes it even more ridiculous.

Also, Fett is lame, don't want to see any more of him than we did.

13. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Gee, that's just what we need, more Boba Fett...

Suggest the OP watches the second Robot Chicken SW special.

14. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    I actually think that something like this could work, but with less emphasis on him. You couldn't make so much new footage flow, and he shouldn't be THAT important.

Now, they couldn't do this in a special edition, but maybe it'd have been cool to have him tip off the troopers on endor, maybe trade a few shots with solo, and then retreat to the Slave 1 and enter the concurrent space battle. After some skillful space combat, Lando kills him while piloting the Millennium Falcon. It'd be a way for Lando to atone for his ESB betrayal, and it'd give Fett a more worthy death. It'd also pad out the otherwise oddly short Imperial ambush scene before they raid the death star 2.

The real problem with your idea are the ewoks. Nothing can really add tension to a battle where armed elite imperial troops are crushed easily by teeny forest folk. Adding Boba would just make the ewok victory even more incredulous.

15. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    Honestly, I agree with the whole list.

If even only some of those scenes were inserted, ROTJ would be held to much higher esteem.

16. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Yeah, sure, the way to make the most flawed of the OT films perfect is to change one unimportant character's hilarious death. TESB would be so much better if the Wampa could keep its arm.

If you have nothing to contribute, don't post. Don't make me contact a modera - oh. Hm.

17. Jedi_Corin_Daan

Jedi_Corin_Daan Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 6, 2010
    I like the idea, but it would work better to have had this in the original script and allow Han/Leia and maybe even Vader or some other characters to interact with Fett more. For instance, if Fett replaced the Stormtrooper that is shooting at Han/Leia, have some dialogue where Han is getting really ticked off that this guy keeps showing up (similar to his rant about Leia in the detention area scene of ANH).

18. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    But the problem is he's not set up as unimportant. He's not a one-off monster killed in his first scene. He's built up in ESB, actually triumphs. and he was a huge part of marketing (obviously still is). He could have been Han's Vader to a lesser degree (no, i don't mean father.). To change his death would add a much needed personal spin on Han and Leia's assault of the shield generator (and in my idea the space battle), while taking away the stupidity of that goddamn sarlaac burp.

Now as i said, it wouldn't make the movie perfect because things like Ewoks destroying stormtroopers easily get in the way of that.
    But it would be a step up.

19. block

block Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2004
    This is a perfect idea!! However, you know what would make it even better!?!?! Darth Maul should reappear in the final battle too!! It could turn out that he was survived the battle of Naboo, and was hiding on Endor's Moon (with that guy from Ewoks: The Battle For Endor). It would be a great way to book end things, as he would then be in Episode I and VI. Here's how it would go:

After Fett is killed, the camera pans up to the trees, where we see Maul standing on a large branch.

Cut to a shot of Wicket trying to unwrap the rope around his face from the rock that he hit himself with earlier.

Cut back to Maul, Dual of the Fates starts playing as he jumps down from the tree, landing in front of Han and Leia. He removes his cloak like he did before fighting the Jedi in TPM, and ignites his lightsaber.

Cut back to Wicket, who has now untangled himself. He looks at the rock, scratches his head and throws the it over his shoulder.

Cut back to Maul as he starts to do some cool twirly stuff with his lightsaber. A rock comes flying into the frame and bonks him in the head. He falls unconscious over Fett's body. Han fires a single shot to finish him off.

20. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I like this idea...especially the way that Leia is the one who kills him. Perfect.

21. block

block Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2004
    AAAANNNNNDDDDD THEN! After the celebration, where the movie usually ends, this will happen instead:

Cut to the ruins of the bunker. We see Wicket bumbling around making "Yub Nub" sounds. NO!! No!!! He's singing the Yub Nub song from the end of the original version!!!!

Anyhow, Wicket is walking amongst the debris, picking things up, examining them, and then dropping them. He picks up a blaster sniffs it, throws it back down. Finally, he pauses and tilts his head slightly.

Wicket: "Yub nub?"

He drops his pokin' stick and we see him bend down to pick something up.

Close up on Wickets hands. He is holding Darth Mauls lightsaber. Pan up to Wickets face. HE HAS SITH EYES!!!!!

Roll credits.

22. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Block, you're cracking me up.

23. Gundark31

Gundark31 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2010
    Boba Fett as a character was mishandled, he started out as a concept for Darth Vader back when Vader was a bounty hunter that hunted down the last of the Jedi Knights, then he morphed into the Super-Stormtrooper concept.His anti-climatic death in Return only happened because of his popularity, originally he wasn't even going to be in Return.

His prominent role in AOTC and Star Wars marketing does make his death scene in Return very awkward.Lucas toyed with the idea of adding a scene in the special edition of him crawling out of the sarlacc but he never went through with it and Jango's death in AOTC was made to mirror Boba's death in Return, originally the Mace/Jango fight was far more elaborate but it was decided that it had to mirror Boba's quick demise in Return.

Who knows what Lucas could do with Boba in future special editions, I've thought that the scene on the sail barge with the random goon that shoots Luke in the robot hand might be a good place to insert Boba, gives him a more appropriate death scene than the burp joke.

24. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Episodes VII-IX ready to go. Love it.

And what Sith name does the former Wicket W Warrick take...?[face_whistling]

25. keynote23

keynote23 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jul 26, 2006
    I can't believe some people here don't see the value in this.

This isn't some attempt to glorify Fett (to be frank I'm rather indifferent to the character). It is however an attempt to ramp up the tension in RotJ because, let's face it, no stormtrooper ever had a prayer of bumping off one of the principal characters which drastically reduces the tension of Han and Leia's sheltering in the bunker.

Inserting Fett instead works because now the audience is watching a dangerous character up against one of our principals. One of whom has even had some success against them. Fett isn't really helping the empire per say as much as he is cooperating with them to get to Han. He's not really there to contribute to the battle of Endor so the fact that they still lose has nothing to do with Fett's presence. He probably couldn't care less how it turns out and helping the stormtroopers wouldn't be a concern of his. Why would he bother?
    I also constructed the scenes in a careful sequence so that a first time viewer would still be surprised by the magnitude of the Empire's trap even though we see Fett warning the bunker just before the Emperor spells it all out for Luke. Fett's scene makes us worry and the Emperor's talk drives it home.

The thing that's always bothered me about Han is that his plot is essentially finished after leaving Jabba's palace. His presence in the rest of the movie feels very superfluous. Even Harrison Ford himself felt that killing him off would be a better choice at that point since there wasn't really any story purpose left to him. I don't agree with that because as the audience of course we want him to live and his dying would frankly cast a pall over the movie that no ending would be able to bounce back from, trivialize the first 45 minute of the film as having been a big waste of time and take the focus off Luke's story too much because Han's death wouldn't be the result of anything Luke has/hasn't chosen to do. However dragging out a character's presence without any natural in-story reason for doing so often comes off looking forced.

By bringing Fett back we setup the fact that Han is actually still in danger which gives Han a storyline to work with.

Actually, I also might make Leia lead the strike team and have Han as part of the team but not in charge. Again, this gives Leia more point as well since her larger plotline has always been linked to the rebels.
    Han volunteers to go along and protect her and again this adds more tension to the bunker scene because now it's Leia's trying to get in while Han as part of the team is the one trying to keep her safe. Dump Fett into this and the situation also becomes more tense for Han because he's also fighting to keep Leia safe as well from what we know is a very dangerous character.

As for the ewoks, their only problem is one of credibility. They should replace some of the more incredulous ewok scenes with the following.

-an ewok lures a walker into a large pit
    -an ewok lures a group of troopers into a net like the one Luke et al. got caught in
    -an ewok shoots an arrow and cuts a rope dumping a whole bunch of rocks on top of a group of stormtroopers

They're sophisticated enough to build villages in the trees, we just have to make them sophisticated on the battlefield. At the end of the day we want to preserve Lucas' intent of a primitive people besting a more advanced one through ingenuity. We just need to make them look a bit more credible when doing it. After all, the dynamics of the battle were supposed to be molded on the technological disparity in the Vietnam conflict. We just need to mirror that more closely in order to make the fight more believable. The ewoks can impress, they just have to be given more of a chance (in fact there's an opportunity here to play with the audience's expectations just as was done with Yoda. They can come off as cute initially which makes us dismiss them but then make them tactical geniuses with primitive weaponry that leaves us open-mouthed and impressed).

So that's it
    1. Bring back Fett and give Han a point

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.