A Guy Question

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by LianaMara, Jan 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlamingSword Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Wow ... gotta love the punctuation ... :)

Welcome to the JC
  2. LianaMara Force Ghost

star 4
    Welcome ;)

A question for you who know about Tolkien's languages:
    Dan has been calling me "Maryamir." I have no clue what it means, but I suspect its Elvish. Anyone know?
  3. Obi-Zahn Kenobi Chosen One

star 7
    No idea.

But if he calls yuo something with vanim or ancalim in it, better look out.
  4. jakiwis Jedi Knight

star 1
    tnx :) sorry about the punctuation i some times get too excited and forget about it.
  5. LianaMara Force Ghost

star 4
    hey, its fine :D
    I used to be a terrible spelling, until I took lots of computer classes and became an English freak.

At least I can understand what you're saying. You're OK ;)
  6. Obi-Zahn Kenobi Chosen One

star 7
    I suggest that you type like I do, and use capital letters for beginning proper nouns and sentences as well as the word I. And I also suggest that you stop using chat shorthand. People don't like that around here.
  7. LianaMara Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks Obi-Zahn. My thoughts exactly.

'Vanim' means 'beautiful,' doesn't it? I'm now remembering some of the Elvish I knew.
  8. Jobo Force Ghost

star 5
    Nice welcome, Obi ;) . Anyhoo, welcome to the forums, and, to answer the question, yeah, just ask stuff bout the CD. Mind you, answering quickly doesn't rule love outta the question, he could have just also wanted the CD... yeah, Obi, if it is true, yes, I am too in the same position... life :p
    _jOBO
  9. Obi-Zahn Kenobi Chosen One

star 7
    Vanim means beaty.

Vanima is the adjective beatiful.

ancalima is the adjective brightly/bright.

Even though Ancalima may be Sindarin.

Sintamin kai! Kai!

Translation: I know nothing! Nothing!
  10. 1sicmaggot Jedi Knight

star 3
    one big detail you left out...What CD is it? ;)
  11. Admiral Hackbar Jedi Knight

star 2
    Maybe he doesn't speak much english.
  12. jakiwis Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thanks alot OBI-Zhan. I'm sorry I was never really that good in english you see I'm not from the USA but thanks alot for the help.
  13. Boutros-Boutros Jedi Knight

star 3
    I don't know anything about Tolkien's languages, but Maryamir is certainly reminicient of the names Boromir and Faramir.
  14. Darth_Asabrush Force Ghost

star 5
    Two things:

Either he has a crush on you and desperatley wants to speak to you for longer but can't.

or

He feels he should stay and talk to you just to be friendly but really can't think of anything to say.

15. LianaMara Force Ghost

star 4
    Wow! Big things today!

1) I got my FOTR soundtrack back from Dan, and asked him the question about which was his favorite song. He just stood there for a bit, then muttered "The Council of Elrond."

2) I looked "Maryamir" up in a Tolkien book at the library, and found out that it basically means "pale treasure" I guess he took it from "marya" (which means pale) and "mir" (which means precious thing or treasure.

Oh my gosh! What does THIS mean?
  16. Vaderbait Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well...technically, it could be anything. He could be doing anything, just has nothing to say.

But most likely, it's a crush.
  17. ArnaKyle Jedi Master

star 4
    Hmm...Council of Elrond has Anrion on it. ;) But hey, it's a good song.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions. One of my guy friends who's big on anime (something I only casually enjoy), and suggested something that I should be Melfina, and then he could be Gene from Outlaw Star. I had no clue to what he was talking about, until I got ahem, a little curious. Gene and Mel are "emotionally close" with each other, but...that doesn't mean anything. We're still good friends and we occasionally flirt some...but this was quite a while ago, and nothing ever really happened.

In any case, it's cool...elvish! Quite nice. Hope you figure it out. :)
  18. LianaMara Force Ghost

star 4
    HUGE updates today!

I got asked out! By Dan! I am so happy! :D

Alright, calm down...
    I found the meaning to his name for me, "Maryamir." One of my friends was writing a poem like the "Lay of Leithen" (or whatever) about Aragorn and Arwen's youngest daughter, Maryamir, who falls in love with an elf. Its pretty sad, but I still don't see any resemblance between this character and me.

Anyway, I was at practice afterschool today when Dan came up. He asked me if I wanted to see Black Hawk Down with him this afternoon, I said sure, and on the way to the movies he asked me out!

Total happiness overload! :D :D :D
  19. eaglejedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    They were right, then, and I would have agreed that he had a crush on you, based on my experience. I've had times, being on the phone, or at a girl's house, when I wanted to talk more, but didn't know what to say, so stayed on the line or there just feeling stupid and trying to figure something out, and it was always with a girl I liked.
    BTW, I don't think the term crush is crude or childish, although infatuation is also good for describing this.
  20. PadmeSkywalker Jedi Master

star 4
  21. darthlebowski72 Force Ghost

star 5
    Sounds like he's stalking you. Better get that restraining order ready :eek:
  22. yodafett999 Jedi Master

star 4
    I just love how he asked her out on a date while they were going out on a date.
  23. swizzard Jedi Knight

star 3
    i would say good for you, but you didnt really do much of anything :) thats really cool. good for him i guess. yeah, that screamed crush to me when i was reading the first page. i have friends who do stuff like that :) god bless insecurity and social akwardness :-D

feel the love people

swizzard, the Iron Pope
  24. Cailina Force Ghost

star 4
    "I just love how he asked her out on a date while they were going out on a date."

I assumed she meant he asked her out as in be his gf as opposed to just a date.

Congrads Liana :)
  25. yodafett999 Jedi Master

star 4
    I suppose that could be. Perhaps in my old age I can't imagine asking someone to be my girlfriend without a few dates first.

Congratulations either way :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.