main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A herd of Wookies - Chewie's family (pictures inside!)

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by DarthBane77, Jan 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBane77

DarthBane77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2003
    Around the time preceding the broadcast of the Holiday Special, Kenner had in mind a line of toy tie-ins based on characters from the show. It was probably assumed that the Special would be much more successful than it was, and that kids would be clamoring for new toys from the TV show. In the end, Kenner wound up scrapping the whole thing, either because the show was a disappointment, or (according to a Tomart's Action Figure Digest article) because the selling window was too small. However, at least a couple of items did make it to the drawing board or prototype stage.

The Boba Fett Sea Serpent made it at least to the drawing board, as conceptualized and drawn by Kenner employee Tom Troy in September 1978. Based on the creature Boba Fett rides in the animated segment of the Holiday Special, the toy would likely have been similar to the Patrol Dewback that Kenner was selling, and it would probably have been made to fit the Boba Fett figure that Kenner eventually made available as a mail-away. In the drawings, the creature was shown to be controlled via "mind harness", although this was not evident in the cartoon. Whether or not any actual prototypes were created of this toy is not known.

The other item that did make it to the prototype stage was a complete set of the Chewbacca family action figures. Chewbacca was the standard Kenner figure, and the prototypes for Itchy and Malla were created by altering two more standard Chewbacca figures. The smaller figure of Lumpy was actually built around a Fisher Price family action figure, whose distinctive bent elbow pose can be seen in the photos.

In the end, Kenner technically produced no specifically Holiday Special-related products, although the Boba Fett mail-away figure and red Snaggletooth figure could almost count

StarWarz Holiday Special

[image=http://www.starwarsholidayspecial.com/images/merchandise/wookie_figures_diorama.jpg]

[image=http://www.starwarsholidayspecial.com/images/merchandise/wookie_figures.jpg]

2. JediJunkie247

JediJunkie247 Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 24, 2002
    Quite interesting. A lighter-colored, female version of Chewbacca with breasts. And a gray-haired version and child version as well. Very interesting.

Being someone who has never seen the holiday special (and from what I hear, I am lucky), these seem quite intriguing. Especially the creature Boba is riding. Too bad these didn't make it to the market.

3. DarthBane77

DarthBane77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2003
    There is still a site on the web that has the Holiday Special avalible for download. I'm not allowed to post it here though, as I learned in the small screen forum.

4. JediJunkie247

JediJunkie247 Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 24, 2002
    That's ok. I believe I will save the space on my hard drive for something else. :D

5. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Actually there is at least prototype in existance of the beast that Fett rides, as well as the character Bea Arthur plays, and that one little green hologramk dude. It was an article in an issue of Toyfare.

6. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I'm pretty sure ToyFare made those toys up just for fun.

7. Jar_Jar_the_great

Jar_Jar_the_great Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 3, 2003
    I can't see the pictures

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Glad I'm not the only one who can't see them.

9. indigovic

indigovic Star Wars Fan Club star 1 VIP

Mar 26, 2003
    There are additional sketches of Boba's serpent on the Star Wars Collectors' Archive:

http://www.toysrgus.com/images-conce/concept-art-bobaserpent.html

The figures shown in Toyfare were part of a joke.

-Vic.

10. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.