main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Hero's Love-- Trial of Circumstance

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Jedi_Alman, Nov 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Alman

Jedi_Alman Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    This is the final version of a story previously posted. Scenes are added, mistakes are deleted. All in all a much better version. Special thanks to my beta-reader, Zara_Rose. If you are new to this story and would like to know what it is about, here is the blurb:

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away?

It is a time of peace and reconstruction for the denizens of the galaxy. The Yuuzhan Vong menace has been driven away, and the Jedi have been restored as the guardians of peace and justice. Future prospects are burning bright for everyone. Everyone save for one young Jedi Knight.

With the death of her best friend, Anakin Solo, haunting her memory and consuming her mind, Tahiri Veila has discovered that she can no longer live without the person whom she has grown to love so dearly. Traveling to the planet Myrkr, the site where his life was taken, she wishes to settle her feelings once and for all time.

When she meets up with a hero from her past, her nightmares are quieted, and she is once again happy. However, her happiness is soon lost after a serious quarrel with her friends, and together she and the man from her past seek out peace off away in the galaxy. However, the duo is soon swept up into a frightening plot conceived by an old foe, one that bodes to topple the feeble New Republic, and one that threatens to destroy the peace that Tahiri has searched so long to find...

2. Jedi_Alman

Apr 9, 2002
    Prologue

A drum crashed and the duel trumpets held their powerful, ending note out in a grand crescendo. The new Jedi Knights stood in their hooded glory atop the podium in the Audience Chamber of the Jedi Temple. Each one tried to maintain an air of formality, but all radiated their giddy happiness and pride through the Force enough to be felt easily by their comrades in the audience.
    ?As this room empties,? Jedi Master Luke Skywalker was saying in finishing, ?the ranks of the Jedi will swell. This galaxy, as well as our way of life, is being rebuilt. Let us never forget our comrades who fought to win us that freedom to rebuild what was lost. As you join in this New Order of the Jedi, may we always work to aid those whom we are sworn to protect.? He turned to face the newly appointed Knights. ?May the Force be with you in your journey.? He turned back to face the audience before him. ?May the Force be with us all.?

Outside of the Audience Chamber, the Jedi and all of their mixed company met on the landing field in front of the massive Temple. Congratulations were passed; hugs and kisses were exchanged. Those that had found their life-partners in the now-finished conflict were absorbed in each other.
    She watched those that she had known for her whole life finding each other, finding love. She felt the deepest aching she had ever known. It was a longing for something that she could not live without, but it was a desire that could never be satisfied.
    She choked when she saw one of her closest comrades walk by, arm-in-arm with her husband.
    Unable to bear any more, she sobbed and retreated from the landing field. She found her quarters and soaked her pillow with her tears. She did not want to leave her bed. The only thing that she could think of was the terrible sorrow in her heart. The war had taken her world from her, and that was something that no person alive would give back to her.

3. Jedi_Knight_Satine

Jedi_Knight_Satine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2002
    Finally made up you mind, did ya? 8-}

I'm reading along again. [face_devil]

4. PadawanDi

PadawanDi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
  5. Zara_Rose

Zara_Rose Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    [face_blush] Hi. Glad to be your official beta-reader, Jedi_Alman. I think I see new faces already.

6. Gosford_twin2

Gosford_twin2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 20, 2002
    *pokes one slim hand out of the cage, multi-tool in hand. picks the lock, and opens the door. bounces into the thread*

Are silly socks welcome here, too, J_A? I promise I won't try to steal your lightrubberchicken! ;)

If I'm not careful, Z_R is going to lock me up again. *runs from Z_R*

EDIT: grr...stupid enter key

7. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Yep - I'm here for the second ride too.

8. Jedi_Alman

Apr 9, 2002
    Well, it's nice to see a new face and some returners. So for your (hopeful) enjoyment, here is the first half of the first chapter. (You will notice that I have added A LOT!)

She sat cross-legged on her bed, her back against the wall. It had been days since she had last come out of her quarters. Luke knew her pain better than any other person did. All of the students at the Academy could feel the grief emanating from her clearly, and a few had made comments about how badly they felt for her. Some had even tried to console her, such as Luke?s niece, Jaina Solo Fel. Jaina had accepted personal responsibility for consoling the young Jedi Knight Tahiri Veila, but her efforts had thus far been fruitless.
    Tahiri had lost the person who, to her, had been the most important being to live. Anakin Solo had been killed by the Yuuzhan Vong, the alien invaders from outside of the galaxy that had come and nearly destroyed their way of life. Anakin had sacrificed himself to save his friends, one of many such casualties of the war that Luke knew would haunt him for the rest of his life.
    For Tahiri, though, his death had meant more. When they were very young and new at the Jedi Academy that Luke had established on Yavin Four, the Force had brought them together through use of dreams, bonding them to each other to accomplish a mission. They had first met at an ancient structure called the Palace of the Woolamander, a centuries-old structure that had once been under the control of the Sith. There, they had found the old Jedi Master, Ikrit. Master Ikrit had trained the two of them, had guided them through their many trials. Finally, working together, they had been able to defeat the barriers that an ancient Sith Master had placed on the spirits of hundreds of Massassi children, and free them.
    Anakin had been with Tahiri when she went through an emotional time with her stepfather, the man on Tatooine who had rescued her from certain death in the deserts of that planet and raised her as his own. Anakin had rescued Tahiri when she had been taken captive by the Yuuzhan Vong invaders on Yavin Four. He had always been her protector, her support.
    During the war, their Master, Ikrit, had been killed, but they had endured this pain of loss because they were together; they had had each other. As the war progressed, they had needed each other more and more, and they grew continually closer to one another.
    Then, Anakin had been taken away from her. Her truest friend and companion had been killed, her firmest pillar of support had been knocked out from under her. While she had still been able to participate in the remainder of the war, part of her had died. She was no longer the same Tahiri that Luke had grown to love. She was but a shell of her former self.
    Now, months had passed since the final battle with the Yuuzhan Vong had been fought. The Jedi had been restored as the protectors of peace in the Republic, and the government was regaining control. Life was settling down for most people in the galaxy. Life bonds had been formed between many of the remaining Jedi due to their harrowing experiences.
    But Tahiri had lost her life-partner. Her grief was built upon each day simply by being around her fellow Jedi. It was a wound that would not heal, a wound that was becoming more painful each day. She lived in a state of depression; she would neither eat nor drink. Luke knew that he had to take some action, otherwise her body would disappear by atrophy.
    He rapped lightly on the vacant doorframe in which he stood.
    ?Tahiri,? he said in his most paternal tone, ?please take this. Eat.?
    He walked into the room and set down a plate of food from the kitchen on the table in front of her.
    She did not open her eyes to look at him; she only nodded. She was noticeably thinning, and her yellow hair clumped together in thick knots, obviously not having been washed in days. It pained Luke to see her like this.
    He sat down softly next to her on the bed. He rubbed her back gently, soothingly.

9. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Great start for a second-time around Jedi_Alman. Point of accuracy - Anakin and Tahiri met at the Jedi temple when the first class for children was assembled. They met Ikrit in the Palace of Wollamander.

Edit - a spelling correction. Lambada should be Lambda.

10. Jedi_Knight_Satine

May 5, 2002
    Please just know this: that I love you wherever you are and whatever you may be doing.

:_| That's so touching! I can really feel Tahiri's anguish.

Wow! You did add on a lot! Great job!

11. Zara_Rose

Jun 23, 2002
    I enjoyed reading that again. Melikes (but you knew that).

12. Jedi_Knight_Satine

May 5, 2002
    [face_plain] page 11 is nowhere for this fic to be.

13. forceaddict

forceaddict Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2002
    can't wait for more of this story, i am looking forawrd to reading the new version

14. SRB_Jedi_Knight

SRB_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Great work on the re-write J_A! It seems much more detailed in background description and emotions overall. I'm here and look forward to reading the rest of this again!

--SRB

15. Jedi_Alman

Apr 9, 2002
    Well hello there, everyone. Nice to see you all again. SRB, did you ever get to work on you story any more? I guess I'll go ahead now and post some more of chapter 1 for you...

She looked once over the lip of the precipice. The cliff was only a few kilometers from the clearing in which she had landed her shuttle. It was the most appropriate way to join Anakin that she could find on the planet: a peaceful fall that would never end?without violence, only serenity. She prepared her parting words to deliver to the winds. Her last breath would declare her love for the man that was half of her.
    She half-choked as she began, but they were words that she knew she had to speak.
    ?You?ve left me alone,? she began. ?You?ve left me incomplete. You?ve left a world that needs you. You?ve left a person that needs you even more.? The first tears appeared in her eyes.
    ?A hole is in my heart at the place that you took up before. You are as much a part of me as the Force. In my mind, you are still a living and breathing person. I cherish your memory, and words fail me when I try to think of them to describe how much I miss you.? The wind blowing from the bluff wiped away the water in her eyes, but for every drop that was brushed away, two more took its place.
    ?I know that you would not want me to say it, but I know that it is my fault that you are gone. I left you alone, to face a terrible enemy by yourself. I?m in constant torment because of losing you. I know that I could have saved you; I could have rescued you.? She started walking slowly toward the edge of the rocky bluff.
    ?But I was too weak. I wasn?t strong enough to support you when you needed it the most. I could say that I?m sorry, but I know that that wouldn?t be enough. What I feel about having left you makes my soul ache. My bones cry out because of the pain I feel. I desperately long to turn back the hands of time. If I had one more chance, just one more opportunity, I would never leave your side. You and I and the Force would be together for all time, happy and strong.? Her emotional pain was causing her to gasp for breath now.
    ?But I know that we are still together. The Force binds us, wherever we are. And I know that wherever the Force has decided to take you, it has become a better place.? Her bare toes hovered over the open air before her. She looked up to the clear blue sky.
    ?The words ?I love you? are not powerful enough to portray the way that I feel for you. You make up part of my being. You swim in my blood and you are in every breath that I take. And so I will say this in the only way that would be appropriate for a Jedi: you are the Force to me, Anakin. You are everything.? She closed her eyes and let the tears trace their lines down her delicately featured face. ?I will be with you soon.?
    She stepped over the edge.
    She felt no fear as she fell, only a strange sort of satisfaction. She knew that she had done the only thing that her love would allow her to do.
    She kept her eyes closed and felt the wind blow around her as she fell toward the rocky surface below.
    Then she felt a slight tug. It started weakly, but it soon gained in strength. It slowed her fall, slowly, gradually arresting it. She floated in midair.
    She was completely disoriented, bobbing in the wind, inexplicably floating on nothingness. A full spectrum of emotions ran their course through her head simultaneously. She was furious, she was perplexed, she felt liberated, she felt helpless. Then she started moving upward, so slowly that it felt as though she was not moving at all. In time, however, she was standing once again where she had started her fall. She collapsed to the ground, striking the dirt with her fist and sobbing uncontrollably. She could not even be allowed to die to be with the one that she loved.
    A strong hand gripped her shoulder.
    She whirled around, ready to rip her tormenter in two using just the shear power of her rage. As she saw the man behind her through water-covered eyes, she made one feeble att

16. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    J_A, I meant to ask this question the first time through. What's this about a cavern collapse? I don't recall there being one in SBS.

17. Jedi_Alman

Apr 9, 2002
    There is not one spoken of in SbS, I just think that there would have been one following the explosion. Barring that, just say that it was the explosion's force that broke his legs.

18. forceaddict

Sep 20, 2002
    this is a great story, can't wiat for the next post

19. Jedi_Knight_Satine

May 5, 2002
    Wow.

Wow.

Wow.

So much added and still a freakin teriffic story!

20. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    Great job, Jedi_Alman! It's good to see Anakin and Tahiri together again!!

21. Jedi_Alman

Apr 9, 2002
    Lookie here, it's Lonewulf! :D

I thought that I had the first chapter all ready to post up. But I decided to go through and read it one last time. Now I can't stop adding to it! I post it up when it's ready, but I'm just never quite satisfied.

22. Jedi_Alman

Apr 9, 2002
    On the voyage back to Yavin Four, where the Jedi Academy was being rebuilt, Tahiri often found herself staring at Anakin. At those times, he would simply give her one of his looks that had so endeared him to her, and she would have to look away again to keep from breaking into tears. She sensed he was apprehensive about something, but his mind was clouded to her, and she knew not what. She knew, though, that when he was ready, he would tell her what it was that was troubling him, so she would give him whatever time he wanted.
    In the last hour of their voyage, Tahiri felt a tap on her shoulder as she was doing trajectory calculations. She turned to the distraught Anakin standing behind her.
    ?What?s wrong?? she asked.
    He sat on the ground next to her chair, never averting his eyes from hers. ?I realized something in all of that time I was away from you on Myrkr,? he said, placing a hand on her knee. ?I?m not the same person when I?m away from you. I had to live a life without you in it, and it was the most unbearable experience I?ve ever had to face. I don?t think that I have the strength to ever repeat it. I don?t want to ever be separated from you again. I want to spend the rest of my life with you.?
    She sank down to the floor to sit next to him, her mouth falling open. ?Oh, Anakin??
    ?Tahiri, I truly love you more than anything. I can?t picture a galaxy without you.?
    She could feel his mental tumult, and she had an idea of what words were coming next from him. She felt lightheaded, but at the same time, ecstatic beyond words.
    ?I don?t care about our age, Tahiri. I know the only course I could allow my life to take. Tahiri,? he took one, long breath, ?will you please live with me as my wife??
    She threw her arms around his neck, not knowing whether she should laugh our cry, finally settling on both actions. ?Why would you ask such a silly question, dummy? Of course I will.?
    She could feel him relax in both body and mind and he gripped her tightly. They held each other there on the deck of the cockpit as the ship reverted into realspace, neither wanting the moment to end. If they could have held each other indefinitely, they would have.

23. forceaddict

Sep 20, 2002
    great post, this is such a great story, can't wait for more, this story is even better this time, as impossible as that is to believe

24. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    ?Why would you ask such a silly question, dummy? Of course I will.? :D

Perfect! Awesome post, Jedi_Alman! I can't wait to read what happens next.

25. Zara_Rose

Jun 23, 2002
    I believe I've heard it said that it's even better this time around...they're right. :D Melikes, melikes, melikes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.