main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends A Higher Purpose [TUQ AU] - Message from the Author - 6-21-06!!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Inara, Sep 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flowerlady

Flowerlady Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    I hate to admit this but I'm only on Chapter 21 but I wanted to let you know what I think...

WOW!!!!=D= =D=

Delray should have gotten you to write the Dark Nest series...I wasn't a fan of Denning's version but yours I absolutely love...

Now for some of the things I just love about this....

Erelas Cracken--what can I say I love her I don't care that she is evil. She is such a solid character... I envy you and hope my own OCs will be as solid...[:D]

Jacen--OMG... Can he be following his grandfather's footprints any closer even with a road map?....I love what you are doing with his character. He's dark but not completely and I love it...at least not yet...:eek:

Tenel Ka--She surely has become a Hapan queen.. that is for sure...But still I pitty her...[face_shame_on_you]

Radik Ifernon--YAY for hot Hapan hunks!...I really feel sorry for him.. He is such a nice guy...[face_love]

Jag--I really like him in this even with him kinda with Jaina... I love his strength and I felt so bad when they found Chek... And what is up with Jaina... Either she needs to love him completely (***hides from any K/Jer lurkers**) or she needs to move on....[face_love]

Jaina--See above...Can she get any more mixed up?[face_not_talking]

Shawnkyr--I just love her...Jag needs to just run of with her and forget about Jaina [:D]

Kyle--I didn't know much about his character until I decided to use him in my fic AHAW and had to research him a bit...I love what you have done with him...But why Poor Jan.....:_|

Pellaeon--I love what you have done with his character...Is he evil, is he good...Just love the wavering...[face_thinking]

And Kyppie[face_love] ...Sorry, I just had to through him in there... I love your characterization.... And maybe he and Jaina should just get it over with.... :p

Well, Gees, Inara, I think that has been the longest review I've ever writen...[:D] =D=

I love this story and can't wait for more...

BTW--may I have a PM when you update again...[face_praying]

FL @};-

2. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    what no evil miscarriages for pregnant women? I love the TC scenes, as always! Poor Jaina.

3. JediTristan

JediTristan Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 30, 2004
    *continues with the spluttering*

YES!!!!!!!!

Thank God, they're playing Ta'a Chume's game now! I'm so happy.

AND! Ta'a Chume using Visah! I know it was coming, but OH MAN the irony just kills me. Seriously, I was rolling on the floor. If only she knew.....

*sigh* This is one of those great descriptive, informative posts that's so subtle with the way is sets the scene you don't even realize it's exposition. It's great how a potentially boring scene with politics and corporate conspiracy (I wonder where you could have gotten the ideas for that from, hmmm?) was delicious and EEEeeevilll. You made it juicy.

Other than that....WOOOT! Erelas! I've missed her. She needs to come back and spread the evil around (which is I guess what she will be doing...)!

Thank you so much, Inara.

~Tris

4. ImperialSpy

ImperialSpy Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2005
    I've been waiting four months for this day, and now that it's here, I'm so excited. Now to actually read :cool:

5. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    Yay! You're updating again!

6. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    pp: Rodi!

You're writing a Jahiri epic??????????????

Life is ok afterall!

Er, you might want to reserve judgement until you actually read the story. You know, like in 2014 when I finally finish it.

But on the upside, I wrote my first kissing scene in personal fiction history just a few hours ago, and it's still making me blush. Jacen and Tahiri are excessively wonderful together.

7. pregnantpadme

pregnantpadme Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 25, 2004
    Rodi: Ohhhhh...I'm all a quiver just thinking about a Jahiri kissing scene! I can hardly wait.

And Inara:

I'm still doing my line by line ( in between trips to the vet...conversations with realtors... Passover seder with the in-laws ~ woohoo! That was soooooo much fun!~) But let me jsut say now that this update was amazing! you are so very good! I loved this update and it was well worth the wiat.

Preggers

8. Flowerlady

Flowerlady Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    Okay, I am finally all caught up....

I just want to say before I start with what I really liked and say, I love the way you have incorporated so much of the Star Wars histroy in this piece... That is one of my biggest gripes about Profic... I understand that in some of the older stuff it was impossible to incorporate what happened before the OT because it wasn't known...But in the later novels one would think some of that history would come out...but it hasn't which is sad and just shows that the profic writers don't really know more than what they need to know to write the story they are working on....

Now for the story...

You killed Shawnie :_| :_| :_|
    How could you!!!!

Oh, well, I guess for your story you had to do that but doesn't mean I have to like it....[face_frustrated]

And Jacen..WOW...:eek:
    I amend my statement from before... There is no way he isn't dark...And I agree with whoever said his next lightsaber will definitely be a red one...(****shivers from fear****)[face_worried]

I loved your discription of what Kyp thought of Eralis... He is so preceptive at times you just have to love him [face_love] And after reading the chapters that fall afterward it seems to me that besides Leia no one else even comes close to figuring her out as well as Kyppie did and he didn't even know her...No wonder Jacen warned her to stay away from my favorite Jedi Master...

What is she hiding to require such shielding?
    Oh, Kyp if you only knew...[face_worried]
    Though her very aura was sexually passionate, Erelas Cracken was emotionally passionless.
    EMM...Didn't she think something along these lines a few chapters back, about herself????[face_thinking]
    It was the people without emotions that should be feared.
    You sure got that right, buddy....Remember Palpy....[face_worried]
    Kyp suddenly felt something dark and foreboding, not coming from Erelas but from the future almost. I wouldn?t call this a good bye, he thought grimly as he walked away.
    Boy, do you ever have that right....you get a gold star...:D
    He wondered if he should tell Luke. But tell him what? That Jacen?s wife made him uncomfortable? He would be laughed out of the Jedi Temple for that since Kyp Durron was never discomfited by women.
    I just love that part....[face_laugh]

Now about the last chapter...

I loved all the Hapan intrigue...:D

And you finally let poor Valin Horn be an adult, even if for only a little part...I love Valin.. He is so short changed in profic...

Oh, if I had the time I could go on and on...But alas, I need to go and clean my house and get ready for the Easter Bunny...

Great job Inara I absolutely love your writing...

Now may we all have a new update on Besieged pretty please [face_praying] ...remember I'm a K/Jer.. I have a stash of chocolate Kyppies...with bunny ears if you like...

FL @};-

9. ImperialSpy

ImperialSpy Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2005
    I hate the long waits, but at the same time, you make it worth the wait.

This was another great chapter, Inara. Here are some parts I especially enjoyed:

Though she was the absolute monarch of the Hapes, and her word was law, Tenel Ka still needed the cooperation of the majority of the royal houses to pass policy, or implementation would be exceedingly difficult.

I love these little details. They add so much substance to this story. It's true too. Tenel Ka does need to fight for control even if she is queen.

"I did not think they would. But had I not included something to be vetoed, they would have complained about something I sincerely want to see passed."

She is a smart girl.

This was not necessarily an indication of Silnas's character, but as the queen's mother-in-law, what was good for Tenel Ka was good for Silnas ? at least until Visah was old enough.

Also nice. Silnas is still a Hapan, even if she's a good one.

The title of Ta'a Chume was given for life. It automatically commanded fear and respect, and once conferred, the queen's real name was never spoken again. Tennenial Djo and later, Tenel Ka, had never been able to assume that title because Ta'a Chume was still alive, and only her death would allow the title to be passed on.

This was one of my favorite parts of this chapter. It's a great way to address the fact that though Ta'a Chume is a title, Teneniel and Tenel Ka didn't bear it. It's logical and makes a lot of sense. I'm surprised that no one has thought about it before, but then again, you are very clever. :p

Chelik and Alyssia are mere puppets, playthings that I keep alive for the sake of amusement.

And here is proof that Tenel Ka has embraced her Hapan heritage.

More digging revealed that the deal with Bonadan had been a front for negotiations between Darth Vader and Ta'a Chume."

[face_worried]

Tenel Ka looked up sharply. "Darth Vader?"

"Bonadan Industries is an umbrella organization of the Tagge Corporation, which in turn is held by the Tagge Family of Tepasi."

More random canon facts! I think it's great that you're using stuff from the Marvel comics. And the best part is that it fits so well.

"Apparently the mother of the current baron was the elder sister of Serena, who in turn mothered Elian and Averil Secura."

Aha! PregnantPadme was right - Erelas didn't just show up on Hapes without a purpose...without a higher purpose...

it turns out that Erelas is Elian Secura's sole heir. Upon his death, she will inherit an impressive fortune as well as the family holdings on Anaxes ? both of which were denied to Averil. And there are rumors that she may be Baron Tagge's successor as well, as his own sons perished during the war."

Now that I think about it, the situation is dangerous. If Pellaeon does take over, he's going to start promoting his own people, including Imperial loyalists, such as the Tagges and Securas. Erelas might have told Jacen that she believes in Pellaeon and his vision, but she can't deny the fact that she'll benefit from it as well.

Silas Tagge was chief scientist of the Tagge Corporation. He worked on several high profile projects, many of which focused on biowarfare."

Biowarfare....like Chiss type biowarfare?

"Erelas Cracken?" said Tenel Ka. "Erelas Cracken came to Hapes and accepted my offer not as a favor to me but to gain unrestricted access to the planets in the Consortium. She came here to retrieve those projects." She spoke slowly to keep the anger from showing in her voice. "She used me ? she used Jacen. And worse ? my grandmother must have known about it the entire time Erelas was here. Ta'a Chume knew, and she did not tell me. Instead, she blithely encouraged the relationship between the two of them."

My response to this is: oh ****. Erelas is de

10. TrillianTK

TrillianTK Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2005
    A review! I know. I'm in shock too, but here ya go:

Tenel Ka had become an increasingly popular monarch among the general populace and even among some of her nobles, but in the past year, thanks to the whispers of Ta'a Chume and her sisters, Tenel Ka's reign was once again besieged by hushed accusations of Jedi influence and a lack of dedication to Hapan values.
    Hapan values. Hapan VALUES. What do they value? A nice collection of poisons? Well, I suppose TK doesn't dedicate herself to the fine art of killing people by slipping them some exotic toxin. Other than that...values...sleeping with younger men?

Tenel Ka dismissed Alina with a nod before saying, "You have been a good teacher."

She was not speaking lightly either. From the moment Silnas had arrived on Hapes at the queen's behest, Tenel Ka had known that she had finally found someone whom she could rely upon for honesty.

Yay for someone finding a good, maternal role model. They're a rare species in the SW galaxy. I guess TK's just been lucky.

Tenel Ka clenched her hand in frustration. "I do not like fighting defensive battles."
    Nope. She likes to break kneecaps. Lots o' kneecaps.

It was an annoying problem, but then again, a Hapan queen was expected to rule until her death.
    Well, with all those poisons flowing about, they didn't last too long, I'm sure.

To this day, no one knew exactly why Ta'a Chume had stepped down in favor of Tenneniel Djo.
    Hmm...maybe it has something to do with the Dathomiri Kneecap Crushing. It's a part of their culture.

"When I took the throne, I had the opportunity. The death of my mother was an offence for which death was the only penalty. But I was weak, and instead I showed mercy to the one person who is most likely to stab me when I am not looking."
    Or is it more fun for her to play around with the ailing old hag? TK has learned to be ruthless, I see.

I see things with more clarity than I did before.
    Again with the sight metaphors!:p

"A lot of digging." Silnas looked positively smug. "For every door I found, there were several more behind it."
    "And the monsters that are hiding behind them...are all real."...sorry, getting my fandoms mixed.

Tenel Ka looked up sharply. "Darth Vader?"
    Haha...I'm just imagining a tryst between Vader and Ta'a Chume, which resulted in Isolder, which means Jacen and TK...are COUSINS!!! DUM DUM DUMMMMMM. So that's where you're taking this, eh? How deliciously eeeevil.

"Erelas Cracken?" said Tenel Ka. "Erelas Cracken came to Hapes and accepted my offer not as a favor to me but to gain unrestricted access to the planets in the Consortium. She came here to retrieve those projects." She spoke slowly to keep the anger from showing in her voice. "She used me ? she used Jacen. And worse ? my grandmother must have known about it the entire time Erelas was here. Ta'a Chume knew, and she did not tell me. Instead, she blithely encouraged the relationship between the two of them."
    My head asplode. Ta'a Chume is such a...a...gah!

Pushing the thin coverlet off her body, she rose and poured herself a glass of water. Ta'a Chume conceded that Visah was a rather pretty baby, but she was still part Dathomiri ? and here the former queen cursed her son for bringing a barbarian into the royal line ? she was Force sensitive, and she was blind.
    Watch out for the poisoned water.

Isolder was naïve and thus satisfactory, if annoying idealistic. He had fallen in love with Lady Eliar, a pacifist, and had been determined to wed her. Ta'a Chume, having seen how destructive pacifism could be, had the young woman killed ? not of any desire to hurt her son but to protect the throne.
    Right there. Ta'a Chume in a nutshell. Anything to protect the throne.

But Teneniel lacked the skill of deception, and again, Ta'a Chume had been required to take matters into her own hands. And to make matters worse, Teneniel's daughter was showing herself to be as disappointing as her mother.
    Ahh

11. Durroness

Durroness Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 4, 2002
    I found this story the other day, and since then I have been occupying all of my freetime with reading it. And whoa baby am I glad that I did. Usually I dont get too into Jacen stories because he simply isn't that interesting to me, but this is something totaly different.

I love how complex everyones relationships are. You dont make the mistake of assuming that just because people love each other, they must be together, and nothing can come between them or change them. The way you went about the Jacen/Tenel Ka relationship just seems so realistic to me. They loved each other as children, but that doesn't mean that their relationship will work as adults.

And Erelas! She is such a great creation. I LOVE that she cannot see anything except shades of grey... Such powerful symbolism. And of course Jacen would be drawn to someone that everyone else is wary of, because thats how people feel about him, and he needs someone that isn't going to question him -how can she when she is exactly the same? Although, if she ever finds out about how her baby was concieved, or about Tenel Ka's baby, I have a feeling that she might begin to question him then.

Jaina and Jags relationship is great as well. Sometimes the things that come between people have been there from the beggining, and this is what Jaina and Jag seem to have going on. In a perfect world love will conquer all, but clearly they are not living in a perfect world. Respect and a common purpose is important too, as well as trust.

So, since its looking like Jaina and Jag are going to crash and burn like Jacen and Tenel Ka did, I cannot resist asking... Does a K/J shipper like me have any hope? [face_praying] Even for a little bit of one on one interaction? Because the way you are portraying Kyp is fantastic. [face_love] My only beef is that I want to see more of him.

One other thing -as I was reading this I got a bit of amusement out of the long replies you were getting, and then I go and post my longest reply ever. I guess we just cant resist -your story rocks my socks off. Keep up the great work!

To sum up all of the emotions elicited by this fic: :D [face_worried] [face_dancing] [face_laugh] :_| [face_hypnotized] [face_love] but esspecially: =D=

do you have a PM list going? Because I would love to be added.

12. Rougensaber

Rougensaber Jedi Youngling

Feb 18, 2006
    GREAT story. I've been reading for days and I am amazed. One of the best stories on the boards. Everything I can say has been said though, but keep it up, i cannot wait to see where this is going.

Also if your PMing people can I join the list?

13. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    New Readers!! Welcome! [:D][:D] New faces always make me happy!

And to the rest of my faithful readers: I apologize for ignoring this story - I haven't forgotten about it. In fact, I plan to post the next chapter this weekend if all things go well (*crosses fingers*). I'm still a bit boggled by the similarities between AHP and LotF, but it's spurred me to stop being lazy, at the very least. For those of you who are too anxious, I'd be happy to send a teaser. [face_mischief]

Keep an eye out for an update!

14. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Wow... after a marathon read I have to say I'm addicted. I think you've got Jacen's character pegged.

15. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Welcome, Jedi_Johnson!

Due to the creepy similarities between LotF and AHP (I predicated a lot of the evil stuff. Go me!), I've been taking some time to tighten a few potential plot holes. I apologize for the long wait, but I'm sending the next chapter to PregnantPadme to beta, so hopefully it'll be up soon.

16. pregnantpadme

pregnantpadme Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 25, 2004
    ldkfjsl;dkf;laskjdf;laksjf;lkajsf;dlkjas;lkjdf

That is what I do to keyboards when I get so excited I can't contain myself!

And being told I get to Beta the next chapter of A HIGHER PURPOSE is definately something to get excited about.

Welcome back dahl! You and your writing have been sorely missed. I'm so excited you're back on line.

Preggers

17. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    So this is coming back?!

*hops into a chair*

18. JediTristan

JediTristan Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 30, 2004
    *looks around*

Gosh, this place looks familiar. Have I been here before?

Man, Inara, I guess you could just tell us to go read LotF, but that would sort of ruin the fun, maybe?

I have been having dreams about AHP finishing lately, and how spectacular it might be.

I kid you not.

I can't wait to see it, and...

it's like I'm right back to last september!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.