main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A History of Historians

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Bib Fartuna, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I'm not sure of the complexities and etiquette of this JC sub-form, for instance, I know that that the Literature forum (where I mainly post), doesn't allow 'favorite' threads.

I'd actually like to discuss the history of historians ... their impact on the field of study.

Ahem ... two of my favorites, are David Starkey and David McCullough.

I have immensely enjoyed watched David Starkey's history series on the British Monarchy over the years. Currently, I am watching 'Music and Monarchy' ... very enjoyable. I was quite surprised however, reading Starkey's Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Starkey

... that Starkey also is a strong opinionated political commentator ... with many 'political-incorrect' comments.

The other David, Mr. McCullough, I became aware of through his work on John Adams, and the mini-series based on his work. I have since watched the documentary series on the Civil War.

Back to Starkey, I was delighted to discover that he was actually a consultant and advisor on the TV series 'The Tudors'. Not surprising in hindsight, given his expertise in the Tudor era.

Which historians do you enjoy reading, and have influenced you?

DarthBoba likes this.
  2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Charles Mann is pretty enjoyable to read; his 1491 book got me pretty interested in pre-Columbus America in general.