main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Hobbit in a Wardrobe

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Kartanym, Jan 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    I'm a fan of ILM, have been for a long while. But I couldn't help but feel that the crew were out to get some 'revenge' on Weta when recently working on the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Now I'm not saying the work wasn't good, far from it. It's a fantastic movie on all fronts. But I got the feeling Aslan and the crew were the perfect tonic for ILM after, perhaps, finding their match.

With Star Wars out of the way for the time being, perhaps the Narnia Chronicles will be the main driving force for ILM? I haven't heard much about what they're working on lately as it is.

2. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    First of all they don't need to get "revenge". I know it's popular to believe nowadays thata there is some some sort of conflict. Heck PJ and company went to Skywalker Ranch to learn how Lucas used previz in planning a film, for the first LOTR. Lots of people from ILM, including the VFX Supe and all sequence supervisors (Joe Letteri, Ben Snow, George Murphy and Scott E. Anderson) had worked at ILM. Anyway...

But I got the feeling Aslan and the crew were the perfect tonic for ILM after, perhaps, finding their match.

ILM didn't do Aslan, Rhythm and Hues did (although ILM did bid on that show). R+H won the original contract for the film. When work increased they called in Imageworks, who did the Beavers among other things. When work increased even more they called in ILM. ILM worked on the second half of the final battle mainly, some centaur and Tumnus leg replacements, the flower creatures and the coronation hall at the end of the movie.

The latest Cinefex has all the details and there are tons of articles out there describing all aspects of the work.

perhaps the Narnia Chronicles will be the main driving force for ILM?

Probably not. Usually VFX studios don't get franchises, each project is usually bid separately. For example Digital Domain worked on the first xXx but ILM did the sequel. As far as driving forces Harry Potter is a much more likely candidate (they have worked on all 4 of them, on 3 they were the leading company), plus the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels. But the business is too volatile to ever know. It's easier to say that certain directors, like Spielberg, mostly work with ILM so you know at least that they'll get those projects in the future (same thing happens with Zemeckis and Imageworks).

I haven't heard much about what they're working on lately as it is.

As far as unreleased projects they're working ir just completed:

* Eight Below
    * Mission: Impossible III
    * Poseidon
    * Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
    * Lady in the Water
    * Eragon

* Pirates of the Caribbean 3
    * Next

Check out my site for news and a more complete filmography.

3. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Thanks for the info malducin.

4. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    ILM didn't do Aslan, Rhythm and Hues did (although ILM did bid on that show). R+H won the original contract for the film. When work increased they called in Imageworks, who did the Beavers among other things. When work increased even more they called in ILM. ILM worked on the second half of the final battle mainly, some centaur and Tumnus leg replacements, the flower creatures and the coronation hall at the end of the movie.

Ahh, right. Thanks for clearing that up. I knew it was a combined project with someone, but I didn't know who.

And I knew Weta went to ILM at some point during the pre-production of the Rings trilogy.

Pirates and HP will keep them busy. What are they providing to MI:3?

5. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    There were about 10 facilities involved in Narnia overall, but the bulk of the work was done by R+H, Imageworks and ILM.

Pirates will only keep them busy till the Spring of 2007. They have not yet been confirmed for subsequent Harry Potter films but I would be surprised if they weren't involved. That'll keep them busy for a while. We'll have to wait and see if Eragon becomes a franchise they'll do more work on.

As far as MI3 a lot of the work will be similar in style to what they did on xXx2: digital stunt double, compositing, enhancing explosion and the action. You can actually see quite a bit of their VFX work on the trailer. Roger Guyett is supervising. Though for 2006 Pirates 2 is what is considered their big project of the year.

6. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    That makes sense. Pirates doesn't seem to have as much visual effects as the first, according to the trailer at least, but I'm sure there will be much more. It is a sequel after all.

I agree, i would be a surprise if ILM part ways with the Potter franchise.

Haven't heard much of Eragon. What is that about?

7. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Pirates 2 might have a little more VFX than the first one. According to John Knoll Pirates 2 will have about 800+ VFX shots. The thing is a lot of the work is not as apparent, like the first one quite a few matte paintings and of course the miniature ships besides the character work. I think the first had also about the same number but ILM worked on only half of the shots and the others were done by multiple facilities supervised by Charlie Gibson. The sequel though is mostly ILM.

Eragon is based on a novel by Christopher Paolini, he wrote it when he was about 14/15. It's a fanatsy novel, standard stuff: evil ruler, predestined boy, a dragon, yada yada yada. Actually it has a lot of of similarities with Star Wars, the boy is an orphan, raised by an uncle that gets axed, he finds a mentor, psychic powers that binds him to a dragon which he takes care of. It might be similar in feel to Willow and other classic fantasy movies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.