~A Hosted Discussion of Actors~

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Katya Jade, Oct 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Since my previous thread, Your Favorite Actors - Who and Why?, was turning into more of an appreciation thread, I decided close that one and start this to host a discussion of various actors. Please note, the term "actors" includes both male and female performers.

To start, I will be going through each actor mentioned in the previous discussion thread. If you have suggestions on who you'd like to discuss, please PM me.

Please remember that this will be a discussion of each actor's work, not an appreciation thread. I encourage your input and discussion (even if you don't like the actor presented) on each person listed.

So, let's start with Gary Sinise:

[image=http://www.sinisefans.org/gallery/toronto.jpg]
    You should recognize him from:
    • Forrest Gump
    • Apollo 13
    • Ransom
    • The Green Mile
    • Reindeer Games
    • The Stand
    • Truman
    • George Wallace

Sinise grew up in Highland Park, Illinois and co-founded the Steppenwolf Theater Company in Chicago.

He has been nominated for Tony awards (theater) for A Streetcar Named Desire, Buried Child and The Grapes of Wrath. He's also been nominated for Best Supporting Actor for Forrest Gump as well as SAG, Emmy and Golden Globe awards.

In my opinion, Sinise is one of the most versatile and important actors of his generation. Watching his films, stage productions or tv roles is a study in the passion of acting and his ability to invest you emotionally in his character and the storyline.

While Forrest Gump is probably one of his most recognized roles, one of my personal favorites is Ransom. In that film, Sinise created a character with depth and sincere movitives rather than playing it as a stereotypical bad guy.

Please discuss. :)

2. xie Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Lieutenant Dan!

He was amazing as Lieutenant Dan!
  3. Terr_Mys Force Ghost

star 6
    Just a quick question - does this discussion apply only to male actors, or female actresses as well? (As the term 'actors' is generally used collectively for both ;))
  4. Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    I'm using "actors" universally for both male and female performers.
  5. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 7
    I think a hosted discussion is the way to go actually. Keeps things more focused and gives it more of a discussion feeling rather than people just posting random thoughts. Good move. And I love you. [face_love] :p

By the by, we going to have some classic actors in here also? :D

Okay, Sinise. Love the guy. He's got a tremendous screen presence somehow and he's never less than memorable. He was great in Apollo 13 and he was perhaps the best thing about Forrest Gump with his heart on his sleeve turn as the emotionally shattered Lootent Dan. His performance in Truman was a beautiful thing and he adequately gave an emotional insight into the mindset and emotions of a man who helmed the country during a true era of crisis.

I note your comments on Ransom with some delight. An underrated film all around, Ransom boasted great performances from it's leading triumverate (Gibson, Russo and Sinise). You mention his depth and sincerity, which is always a good thing in a performance. Perhaps it's this ability that makes him such a wonderful actor. He always makes you feel it. And, forever since I first saw it, the scene where he ups his pistol and yells, "Stop! Police!" after a long and arduous interior struggle remains one of the most shocking and transfixing moments in cinema history.

I always like to see Sinise. He never really disappoints.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.