main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Hyperdrive would be the Best Weapon

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darthbarracuda, Apr 16, 2015.

1. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    Are there any instances of a person firing up their hyperdrive, and escaping in the escape pod before the ship went into hyperspace, and ramming their ship right into the enemy one? It would be going so fast that it would probably sheer the ship right in half.

Or maybe using their hyperdrive capabilities to escape a tractor beam?

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I see your point, but if it were that easy, why doesn't everybody do that? Or better yet, build missiles with hyperdrives?

3. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    The tractor beam issue is explained in the EU (basically the ship will jump away a few lightyears and then be shot, if it can make the jump at all)

But I've always wondered why they didn't make suicide bomber ships that just jumped to hyperspace towards a larger enemy vessel- it makes sense. They couldn't gun it down, and the shields probably wouldn't deflect matter moving that quickly.

4. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    Wasn't it established that Capitol ships could devastate planets moving in hyperspace? And were basically indefensible? Very weird to me.

5. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    The Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy had the Imperials researching sending bombs through hyperspace.

Also I foresee this being moved to Lit at some point.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That was, I think, introduced in Incredible Cross Sections.

Yup. They discovered that you need something to open the way back from hyperspace to realspace - the hyperdrive engine. Just dropping the bomb doesn't work so well.

However - in Rebels, we see a hyperdriveless ship docked to a bigger one, undock while in hyperspace. While this is "incredibly dangerous" - the little ship does revert to realspace.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    Here's a related question: do the FTL drives on starships in the SW universe allow for the Picard Maneuver?

8. The Star Wars Archivist

The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013

Well, you don't even necessarily need a hyperdrive. An A-Wing pilot took the executor down no problem by ramming into it without his hyperdrive.

darthbarracuda likes this.
  9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The Executor's bridge deflector shield did have to be brought down first.

There's a comic book scene where three Imperial Star Destroyers all crash together into a fully shielded Executor due to coming out of hyperspace in the wrong place - and cause minimal damage.

10. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012

Please, if you don't mind, can you tell me what comic book this came from?

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The strip was Race For Survival - part of the Classic Star Wars series.

[​IMG]

The comic compilation with it in, is Classic Star Wars 3: Escape to Hoth.

12. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012

Excellent, you delivered! Thank you!

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. The Star Wars Archivist

The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    Has Iron Lord ever not delivered?

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    I assume if your hyperdrive was operational, you wouldn't need to use escape pods. You could just escape.

15. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    It is weird how deflector shields can apparently deflect the sheer velocity of lightspeed, and yet it can be overcome by spaceship weaponry.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  16. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012

Something something matter vs energy weapons...

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  17. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i think you could make a ship with a hyperdrive a weapon but that's all i'll say.

18. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    If the Executor shrugged off 3 ISDs, shouldn't a planet be able to shrug off a lot more?

19. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    This might defy all physics, but hey-it IS SW, so:

I would love to see some sort of chase, or battle of ships while in hyperspace. That could be visually stunning.

sarlaccsaurs-rex, Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    You mean like in Star Trek: Into Darkness?

Jedi Knight Fett and DARTH_BELO like this.
  21. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    LOL yes I suppose-I actually was just thinking of that as you posted this. :p

Although IMO it'd look much better in SW's version of hyperspace...plus I didn't like the whole idea of the Enterprise being ripped OUT of warp (I also really didn't like that buzzing noise Admiral Marcus' ship made-but that's for another conversation). Not to mention (if we're actually gonna try to apply ANY physics to this), I'd imagine if that happened, the other ship would emerge light years away from where that ship was ripped/pushed out. Even a split second difference can presumably mean a huge difference in location in the galaxy...

Any scientists/astrophysicist types want to chime in on this? (Or is the whole logic of this idea-like others in the SW universe-impossible to analyze, due to its very "sci-fi nature?") :confused:

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    We do have a "saucer-sep while in warp" type of scene in Rebels - the Phantom separates from the Ghost and returns to realspace. It's portrayed as somewhat risky though.

23. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003

Oh yeah-that's right. I enjoyed seeing that...

thejeditraitor and Iron_lord like this.
  24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It's been 12 years since I actually learned any astrophysics "for real" at university - these days, everything new I know about it comes from news reports, Wikipedia, etc.

I'm not sure if there's been any "battles in hyperspace" in the EU - but I can't remember reading anything specifically forbidding it from happening, either.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  25. Isaiah9823

Isaiah9823 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 20, 2015
    That would be one heck of a weapon! Imagine the capabilities...