Sac, CA A JanFebruary Topic! -gasp-

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by TaintedJedi, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TaintedJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    So I was reading the internets the other day (well, today) and have been hearing Jim Cameron gushing about 3-D televisions being imminent as "the next big thing" in home entertainment. He made some interesting points on his G4 interview (and relevant article can be found here) about how 3-D entertainment could work for, say, laptops and was wondering if anyone had thoughts on 3-D movies/television, blu-ray, HD tv's, heck Avatar in general (say Tara, when we making Home Tree Sacramento? ;) )

-TJ
  2. darthmetalhead2 Jedi Master

star 1
    There is an article in this weeks Entertainment Weekly as well..they are talking about turning Titanic, Lord of the Rings and Star Wars into 3-D.

Alex
  3. DarthZemog Jedi Master

star 4
    Hmmm, I think it will be a while before there are 3D movies like they are doing now are being developed for home. I'm sure that you will need a new specialized TV and player of some kind, plus you'll have to sit in your living room wearing those glasses. I think its fine for the movies, but not sure about home. Heck, I still don't have an HD TV or anything BlueRay. No real need to do that until the living room TV breaks down. Then again, I'm not a gadget guy, so I don't have to have the latest tech. I'm happy still watching VHS movies. I know, shocker right!

Don't get me wrong, I think HD and blueray are cool, and eventually will get with the times, but I just can't see a big demand for 3D in the homes. I also think movies shot specifically for 3D are kind of shooting themselves in the foot a little because its just not the same in 2D. Take Beowolf and that Journey to the Center of the Earth, both shot like Avatar specifically for 3D, but were also translated to 2D too. The 3D versions were cool (speculating on Journey, never saw it in the theaters), it helped the movies, the 2D versions are weak because the gimmick of 3D is gone. I'm eager to see how well Avatar will do when its released on DVD in 2D. All of the 3D showings of that movie up here were selling out, but the 2D versions shows had plenty of seats.

I think we may see a spike in 3D movies, the original SW trilogy being redone for 3D and maybe the LOTR movies and some others, but unless they can make some serious coin like Avatar did, then we may start to see some real movement for developing the technology for the home. Otherwise it will fall out of popularity. Remember Jaws 3 in 3D!!! Now that was just awesome! :D

~DZ

4. TaintedJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    The problem with remaking old(er) movies in 3D is many of them were never designed with it in mind, and even then the effects they adopt are just "whoa, garbage coming at you" schticks... soooooooo.... HD REMASTERED STAR WARS? Yes. 3D? eeeeeeeeeeeeeh. Han Shot First? #$% YEAH!

-TJ
  5. DarthZemog Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, I think George needs to stop tinkering with the OT and let it go. How about a new Animated Clone Wars movie in 3D if they really want to do something SW in 3D. Though I know I'd be at the midnight show for each of the OT movies in 3D if they do go that route, I'm such a sucker that way!

~DZ
  6. TaintedJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm currently reading "Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor", and if it's as pulpy/flash gordony as it sounds... I would be SOOOOOO down for like more OT-era stories done in that spirit, just like ANH. Do it with CGI styled like Clone Wars and I'm so, so there.

-TJ
  7. DarthZemog Jedi Master

star 4
    You know, until that live action TV series comes out, and we can see how thats going to play, I would be down with some animated OT-era SW movies/shows/what have you. I think that would be very cool, 3D or not 3D. As long as it has Justice League writing and not Droids/Ewoks writing! Speaking of Justice League, I can't wait for the next movie, Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths! The Justice Lords episodes were 2 of my favorites, plus they had Doomsday in them! Good stuff!

~DZ
  8. Jedidoria Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm with your original thoughts on this topic, DZ...we don't have a Blueray either. And 3D tv just doesn't excite me that much. There were some 3D movies that were great...Friday the 13th, anyone? And your Jaws 3-D reference had me rolling! I remember watching it on HBO and the fake flying shark parts at the end are hilarious!! I did see a really cool 3D movie at the IMAX once...it was a horror/music type movie...rock n rollercoster/funhouse type thing. That was really well done...but otherwise I can't even think of a 3D movie that excited me that much.

Still haven't seen Avatar. But I am all about the LARPing TJ!!

9. darthmetalhead2 Jedi Master

star 1
    I have and enjoy the 3-D Friday The 13th movie..also the Nightmare on Elm Street too :)
  10. DarthZemog Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh heck yeah, when Jaws is swimming at the big underwater viewing window in slow motion 3D and all the principal actors have that "OMG" look on their faces! Well that is just cinematic gold.

Now in keeping with the cinematic masterpiece that is Jaws 3 in 3D, we can all rejoice that with this new 3D technology we will soon be able to feast our eyes on Piranha 3-D!!!

No joke, Piranha 3-D

I suddenly feel the need to quote Peter Parker's late Uncle Ben, "With great power comes great responsibility!" More like with great power comes Piranha 3-D is more like it!

AND,......Boom goes the Dynamite.

~DZ
  11. DarthZemog Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh Yeah, here's the trailer!

Piranha 3D Preview

They should have Richard Dreyfuss do modified "Jaws" dialog in this!

"Well I'm not talkin' about hooking some poor goldfish or rainbowtrout. I'm talking about finding Piranha!

This just looks too cheesy to pass up!

~DZ
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.