A Jedi getting married!?!?!

Discussion in 'Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Gotenss, Jun 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gotenss Jedi Knight

star 1
    hey, i was wondering, i am running a campagne and the Jedi who is playing well he found a woman and i was wondering if i could make him get married??? What would the council about these things?? Would they ban the Jedi from the order???
  2. Kir_Salonane Jedi Knight

If it was in the time of the Old Republic I think he would be banned from the order. We don't know for sure what happens when a Jedi marries until Episode III. If it was the New Jedi Order, Luke wouldn't ban them because he and many other Jedi are married.
  3. Gotenss Jedi Knight

star 1
    hmmmm thats bad... Its during the old Republic time... 2 years after AOTC.. Now i have no idea how to make this work:(
  4. Tremaniac Jedi Knight

star 3
    I imagine anytime pre Empire would have the Jedi in question banned. Like the movie poster said, "A jedi knows not hate, nor anger, nor love". Could a Jedi focus on his training and life if he has something else that could tear him away from his duty? Anakins dilemma pretty much shows why Love is a no no for Jedi. Even if the Jedis wife wasn't in the thick of things, what happens when something comes along that demands his attention while he's on a mission. It's also unfair to the Jedis wife. You're asking her to sit at home and worry endlessly that her husband is off saving the Galaxy. Pretty good reasons to say it's a bad idea.
  5. Go-Get Beer Jedi Master

star 4
    Anakin says explicitly that it is forbidden for Jedi to have a commitment other than to the Order.
    Why do you feel the need for the character to marry? Have the pair have a forbidden relationship, like Anakin and Padme. Alternatively he could marry her in secrecy and have to hide it from the Order for his whole life (not an easy thing to do) or he could quit the order and marry her.
    It's a nice adventure hook and makes the character and player (hopefully) thoughtful whether an istitution that forbids him realization of his deepest wishes is right.
  6. Gotenss Jedi Knight

star 1
    ok.. Well i thought it would be interesting and harder for a player to try to live a normal life while having to make mission for the order.

Ok, i guess its a forbidden love then heh??? lol
  7. Maj_Odo-Taji Jedi Knight

star 1
    If the character wants to get married IC, perhaps he can pull it off in secret? Makes for interesting roleplay, to say the least.

And that is what we play these games for anyways, right? Story, the meaning of roleplaying.

Regards,
    Maj-Odo Taji
  8. Tremaniac Jedi Knight

star 3
    A very valid point, but lets not overlook the other reason we play. Where else can you dice someone up with a lightsaber? heh heh heh. But seriously, if your player can pull it off, more power to both of you. Just think, adventure hook, adventure hook, adventure hook!!!
  9. Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Master

star 4
    It was allowed in the Tales of the Jedi Era which is pre-empire.
  10. Gotenss Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well he is going to keep it a secret... Hard work it will be:)
  11. Maj_Odo-Taji Jedi Knight

star 1
    LOL @ Tremaniac

On the serious side, glad to hear the player decided to take the difficult path and roleplay his character the way he really sees him. It really is pretty rare to have a group of players that are willing to be faithful to their characters and the storylines they interact in before being loyal to their own selfishness in an "easier" game.

What fun is it if we never take chances? Makes for one hell of a boring story, honestly. ;)

Good for the player, and good for you as a GM allowing him to play his character the way he thinks it should be done.

Regards,
    Maj-Odo Taji
  12. Kir_Salonane Jedi Knight

Hey Crimson Jedi Knight, who married in Tales of the Jedi? I don't seem to remember that.
  13. Fingorfin Jedi Master

star 4
    Nomi's husband was a Jedi before he was killed and she joined the order. Nomi and Ulic later fell in love and it was no secret.
  14. Tremaniac Jedi Knight

star 3
    You have a point with Sunrider, but I was thinking canon. Basically the only reason I bought the TotJ sourcebook is because it has all the forcepowers in one convenient book. Granted that's just me. I guess in the end, it's up to the GM almighty to decide which path works best for the story. But remember young GM, choose wisely. The right path brings much adventure, while the false leads to the dark side! Mowahahahahahahaha
  15. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    Attachment is forbidden. It prevents rational thought. Look what happens when Anakin lost an "attached" person - his mother. He gave into emotion and the Dark Side. What if Jedi Dude loses his wife?

Don't let them get married. He's sworn a committment to the Jedi order, one not easily broken.

E_S
  16. 1stAD Jedi Youngling

star 5
    No, LET THEM get married, but throw a ton of curveballs at the PC's way afterwards and see how he reacts. Will he leave the Jedi? Will he dump his bride? Will he snap and whack some do-gooder Jedi?

Just throwing out some ideas here :)
  17. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    Any Jedi Master would notice it. Their thoughts would betray them. They must be mindful of their feelings, and their feelings would be evident if they were married. Too much could happen as a result of the Jedi's self centered nature.

E_S
  18. Go-Get Beer Jedi Master

star 4
    Any Jedi would see it if he got around to looking for it. Why would he try to read the thoughts and feelings of another Jedi if he weren't a)his master, trying to check on him, or b)not sure of his loyalties. Those Jedi a trusting bunch. ;)

All too easy
  19. Maj_Odo-Taji Jedi Knight

star 1
    Heard a friend mention some novelization he got recently where it talks about the Great Sith War against the Jedi and whatnot. It details out some earlier formations of the Jedi Order. The predominant form seemed to be that Jedi Masters were organized with one another in a feudal style.

What I mean is that each Jedi Master had a planet, or moon, or whatever where he/she had an academy. That Master, along with his/her associates (whether Knights to the Master, or outside Knights) trained new Jedi. These Masters were called "Lords", and not all fo them like done another. In fact, caution and mistrust were not rare at all apparently...especially between two feuding Jedi Lords. *eg*

So in this case, depending on when you ran your campaign, Jedi may or may not trust one another so well. ;)

Regards,
    Maj-Odo Taji
  20. Gotenss Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, i am sure the player can keep it a secret.. But it will make a great challenge:) When his wife will need help, but the council will give him a order.. hehehe... Oh and yes the council could see a change in emotion.But they cant see clearly what it is..
  21. Tsavong_Lah Jedi Knight

star 3
    Gotenss,

I think the idea is a very good. I know it defies the rules of the council at that time. Some of which are kinda foolish to me, but thats a whole other discussion.

It should make for great role-playing. I'm a romantic kinda guy and I could definately see it. Follower of the order torn between his duty to the force and the love of his life, something that she/he can live without. My eyes are getting all misty.

Now if the PC wanted to go on a little more complicaed path. Let the wife get killed, and have the player wrestle with the horrible emotions such a tragedy would produce.

Wonder what happens if they decide to have kids?
  22. Maj_Odo-Taji Jedi Knight

star 1
    Children who are Force Sensitive and are caught and murdered by the Empire, no less. The wife then blames the husband for this, since he is the one who passed the talents in the Force to their children. Stricken by grief, a parent is likely to blame the other, especially if they are gone most of the time. *eg*

You could also have the Jedi away so much that the wife takes the children and they leave. Many years later, the two children return to face their Father and redeem the honor he forced them to lose (motherly propaganda of course!). Can you say a problem with a Fathe rbeing forced into saber combat with his two now-Dark Side children? Inquisitor Tremaine would be a nice mentor for two wayward, orphaned children. *evil cackling*

Oh the endless possibilities!!!

Giddy with evil thoughts,
    Maj-Odo Taji
  23. Gotenss Jedi Knight

star 1
    lolol.... well thanx guys, i have lost of possibility... But i know what i'll do, i'll have him get 1 child, then couple years later his wife will get killed because of him and he will have to fight the grief... Then High inquisitor Tremaine would take the child , train him and prepare him to face his father years later... etc etc
  24. Fingorfin Jedi Master

star 4
    Maj_Odo-Taji, that is truly evil. Good ideas. [face_devil]
  25. Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Master

star 4
    You guys are getting really evil. I like it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.