main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Jedi getting married!?!?!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Gotenss, Jun 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gotenss

Gotenss Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2001
    Well the player finally got kicked out of the order and 15 years have passed since he got killed, he has 2 kids that he train in the way of the dark-side. And a wish wich can use the force but is WAY too old to be trained...

SO thats about it, its 5 years before the battle of yavin and my player is pursuing his goals.. But soon an inquister will come by and decide the faith of my player, will he join the emperor or rebelle again him and suffer VADER... That will be his choice. Hard one it will be since his 2 kids will be taken away from him if he joins the emperor and if not, killed they might be:)

2. Tremaniac

Tremaniac Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Would a dark jedi truly care about his children? I mean, sure Vaders proud of his kid, but only at the very end, when Luke is dying does he step in to save him. And by saving him, he returns to the light. This situation has multiple points that can go damned near anywhere. He may join, at the cost of his children, His children can opt to join on thier own, regardless of his feelings, or they can be threatened, he can attempt to defend them, only to have one willing to go forth to serve the Empire. A family bond should test his ties to the darkside. And then who's to say his children won't be more ambitious and ruthless than he is, and join without him? I've often wondered if the darkside can make a family function normally, but I guess the Ozbournes kinda showed me the answer to that question. BTW, Not all inquisitors are Dark Jedi, only the cool ones!

3. Gotenss

May 14, 2001
    Well that a thought question, can they function normally.. mhmmm.. Well since he come a dark-Jedi and not trained, he is actually less aggressive then you would think. He only rely on the dark-side rather then the light side... Of course to punish his children , he would use ANGER, Fear etc etc.. SO the only things he has to keep is there respect.. Like Vader respected Palpatine. So until the respect is broken, it should hold togeter...

4. Maj-Odo_Taji

Maj-Odo_Taji Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 18, 2002
    The untrained Dark Sider is not less aggressive because he/she trained him/herself in the Dark Arts. In my mind, it would make them erratically aggressive, not focused on any one goal. *shrugs*

And like Tremaniac mentioned, maybe his kids are a bit more ambitious than he is, especially if he has to actually choose to go with the Empire or not. ;)

Regards,
    Maj-Odo Taji

5. Gotenss

May 14, 2001
    Yeah of course, but someone that was taken at the age of 1 year old and trained in the sith ways! Alwats beaten etc etc and all his live he suffered. Well he wouldnt have "love" for a children or even a wife..

As for someone that turned to the dark-side later on, he still knows some love etc etc, but uses the dark-side to accomplish some tasks.. So the character can still be dark-side and love his wife. And she is responsible for it too.. He turned to the dark-side because they tried to seperate them, so his love is even stronger for her, but he still has alot of anger toward the Jedi and other ppl..

6. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    Fine, he loves his wife, which is perfectly acceptable. He may even love his children. But what will he do when he's put in the position of "You and your children will serve us or die!"? The Empire doesn't like the word no. And if he does love his children he may be loathe to give them up to darkside training by another. Or even worse, watch them killed because they can't learn fast enough. And his wife...well, lets just say if I'm the Empire she is my biggest bargaining piece in the whole world. Custom made nano virus, kidnapping & re-education, blaster rifle to the back of her head, or even better, letting the Jedi in question know that they can do any of the above and there's nothing he can do to stop it if he doesn't join. No one ever said evil has to help evil. Quite the contrary. Every edition of SW I've seen clearly places emphasys on being a hero. Good guys win, bad guys lose. If they want to be a villian in Space Opera, play Mekton Z.

7. Sian

Sian Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2002
    Being a darksider doesn't necissary mean that you are evil. A dark Jedi differ from a light Jedi because they are letting their emotions free. Thus, love, passion, and other such emotions that the Jedi Order considers sinful, are the darksiders to own. That doesn't mean he is resorting to anger, hatred, fear, or any of the negative emotions, but he might just as well be "dark" just because he is emotional. He might be loving, protecting and passionate with the people he loves, but may deploy anger, hate and fear against those who pose a threat.

There's no passion, there is serenity. A Jedi who breaks this rule is always dangerously close to falling onto the dark path.

8. Gotenss

May 14, 2001
    Well my point of view of the dark-side is different... Its not because you are a force user that its different from other evil villians.. Take Bin laden for example, he is evil , ofcourse, he would kill someone like you kill a bug, but he probebly love his wifes and children.. But that doesnt make him good for it.. So yeah, love can be something he could fell, even as a dark-side character..

As a sith, its something else, a sith is the opposite of Jedis, they have rules too.. So it all depends on the rule, but ITS STILL A RULE made by HUMANS! Meaning that THE FORCE itself isnt build on those set of rules... So a character doing a dark-action, force user or not, will become more evil and with time have no recret at all...

9. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    Actually, the game is pretty straightfoward about good and evil. Darksiders are evil. Passion clouds logic, and oftentimes the results are bad. Crimes of passion are still just that, crimes. And being a darksider, you may start off thinking passion is golden, but there's a downward spiral. And anger, hate and fear won't be limited to just anyone. Sure, you defend your loved ones out of anger, then once you've gotten a taste of the power, the darkside has an in. Because passion is where the darkside starts, and it'll only get worse from there.

10. Sian

Jun 22, 2002
    Truly. A crime is still a crime, and emotions are still emotions. But some would see Jedi as evil as they are somewhat "cold", ignoring their emotions. The sith is evil because it causes harm only to benefit itself.

The good and evil aspect is the worlds most impossible paradox, for what some see as good, others see as evil, and vice versa. If a Jedi kill a villain, the villains closest friends and family regards the Jedi as evil, while those who have suffered at the hands of the villain consider the Jedi as heroic, as good, for doing that act.
    A Jedi must not waste any time on comtemplating over these sides unless it is vital that he does so, for the answer, who is truly good, and who is truly evil, is impossible to answer.

11. Maj-Odo_Taji

Jun 18, 2002
    The Dark-Side corrupts its victims...it doesn't consume them instantly. Rather, it corrupts them over the course of time...for some who are especially cautious, perhaps decades. For others who thirst for greater power, perhaps just a year or even less.

Think of the Dark-Side like an emotional or mental disease. It doesn't just pop you around, it happens slowly. There is fo course your own game, though, so take this as personal opinion. ;)

Regards,
    Maj-Odo Taji

12. Gotenss

May 14, 2001
    well i still think a dark-sider could still love his wife and children.. But in a different way we would.. And of course, he would treat them different... But still, if you say that crime is crime, emotions are emotions and that you get corrupted by your emotions, then what if a Jedi killed a innocent man but with no emotion about it.. No anger, hate or fear... Nothing... the dark-side would leave him be??

13. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    Ah but emotion, or the lack thereof isn't what makes a person evil. A jedi killing an innocent man without emotion isn't an ideal situation, because there may be mitigating circumstances as to why the person was killed. Could've been accident, or mistaken identity, or hundreds of other things. If it was a genuine mistake, there might not be a problem, however were it cold blooded murder, welcome to the start of that Darkside Training Course.

14. Sian

Jun 22, 2002
    Yes, but nevertheless, if he did kill the opponent, he is still considered to be "evil" by those who loved the victim. And to kill without emotion is what we refer to as "a cold-blooded killing". So to see it all, any Jedi who kills an opponent in accord with the Jedi Code is a coldblooded killer. But, he does not kill because he is driven by emotions, he kills because he has to, by some mean or another.

15. Maj-Odo_Taji

Jun 18, 2002
    I hate to do this, but perception is a funny thing. One who is evil to some is nothing but good to others. The reverse is also the true, to be sure.

As Obi-Wan once said, "It is all a matter of perspective..."

Being vague,
    Maj-Odo Taji

16. Tsavong_Lah

Tsavong_Lah Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    Was waiting for someone to say that ; )

17. Maj-Odo_Taji

Jun 18, 2002
    *chuckles*

18. Gotenss

May 14, 2001
    well its getting to compliquated here.. Its still a game where evil is evil and good is good... Still if my player fells like he can love his familly and still be evil, then its his own choice..

19. Sian

Jun 22, 2002
    Yes, he may love his family and still be evil. When he isn't loving his family actively (like a family moment or something) he might do evil deeds that benefit no one but himself.

20. Maj-Odo_Taji

Jun 18, 2002
    No one is dictating how the player should or should not act. At least I don't think we are, anyways..I know I'm certainly not!

I think what is happening is people are voicing their view of how the Star Wars Universe operates in this regard. Like if you ask me, there are very few characters that are between good and evil. They are usually either totally good, or totally bad. There is always the chance for them to cross to the other, but that is what redemption is all about. ;)

Dark Jedi tend to be "bad guys", I have no clue why. *eg* Take a look at Darth Vader, though. He was willing to kill Luke if he didn't come to the Dark Side. If your player's character is different, more power to them. Just may mean that whoever the player's maste ris may sense this uneasiness and lack of devotion to the will of the Dark Side. *shrugs*

Any way you look at it, more story arcs to play with...

He who looks within from without,
    Maj-Odo Taji

21. Sian

Jun 22, 2002
    I can agree with you to some extent.

I believe that most players are none of the extremities, but rather, all players sway to and fro with alignments. Those who are good still act with some evil because it helps them gain power, while some who are "evil" are doing good deeds (very few people know how to be truly evil, and I believe the Empiror to be the only, truly evil character in the Movies)

22. Maj-Odo_Taji

Jun 18, 2002
    Of the characters in the Holy Trilogy, I'd have to say that the Emperor and Grand Moff Tarkin are the only truly evil characters. Even Vader has some good to him, as we see by his bringing balance back to the Force and ultimate redemption in Return of the Jedi.

He who loves the Holy Trilogy,
    Maj-Odo Taji

P.S.- As much as I'd love to say I coined the term "Holy Trilogy", I can't. God bless Kevin Smith!!!

23. Sian

Jun 22, 2002
    Appearantly.

Btw, am I the only one who see that this discussion no longer covers "A Jedi getting married?" This has developed into a philosophical debate, thanks to you and me Maj-Odo (and a few others as well, but I believe we are the most present...), about good and bad and other Jedi ponders.

24. Maj-Odo_Taji

Jun 18, 2002
    LOL Yeah, maybe a new thread is warranted? ;)

Regards,
    Maj-Odo Taji

25. Gotenss

May 14, 2001
    lol well, atleast it helps player to developpe there good or evil character better by seeing the point of view of other ppl about it... So this tread is still on topic, kinda, atleast where not talking about what you did 2 days ago etc etc...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.