main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Jedi getting married!?!?!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Gotenss, Jun 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_McKee

Master_McKee Jedi Youngling

Jul 26, 2002
    I'm in the new jedi order and I was wondering how a Jedi dose a marige check.

2. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    It is something that should be RPed as it is not something that can be properly covered with one roll.

3. Tremaniac

Tremaniac Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 26, 2002
    If only it were as simple as a roll of the dice.

4. Sian

Sian Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2002
    Yes, roleplay the two people getting married by subtracting their money, first of all. A wedding requires a paid priest (if the wedding is to be taken place in a church), the food, the invitations and so forth. Think of what a wedding would crave IRL, and instead try to convert it to fit the frames of roleplay.

5. Maj-Odo_Taji

Maj-Odo_Taji Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 18, 2002
    I wonder if the PC Jedi used Council funds for the marriage? ;) Also, who wa sinvited? I'd be interested in seeing what the Dark Side-treading young Jedi would do if the minsiter, or even some minor individual within the bridal party spoke out. Whether by a slip of the tongue, bribery or just plain mean-heartedness, what would the Jedi do and how far would he/she go to protect his/her secret? *eg*

Cackling maniacly,
    Maj-Odo Taji

6. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    Good point. so much potential chaos in that situation. [face_mischief]

7. Sian

Jun 22, 2002
    Yes, and the chaos alone serves a good reason why they shouldn't marry. ;D

8. Maj-Odo_Taji

Jun 18, 2002
    Sian,

Good point!!! All of that, and so much much more are working reasons why the Council stands against Jedi being married. Some exceptions are made, like Ki-Adi Mundi for instance. While a part of the EU, I find his backstory to be hella awesome!

I have a feeling Ki-Adi Mundi sought out and received Council permission before marrying, though. Just a personal opinion though...

Regards,
    Maj-Odo Taji

9. Gotenss

Gotenss Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2001
    Well my player has been married and with 2 kid for quiete a time now and it goes well at the moment.. But i'll get into his relationship soon:) lol!! His kids are getting big, so arrogance, teenage REVOLUTION actually is also going to start.. And the player is starting to get HIGH level in the dark-side, so that is 1 thing that gets the emporors attention:) etc etc.. SO the story is strating to get interesting..

10. Maj-Odo_Taji

Jun 18, 2002
    If your PC wants to teach his own chicldren the way of the Jedi, I think he'd start pretty soon. Also, I wonder how he'd react if the children were not sensitive to the Force, but someone else, a crime boos perhaps, did?

Regards,
    Maj-Odo Taji

11. Sian

Jun 22, 2002
    Yes, and if he does not discipline the children in the ways of the Force, who knows? There are a lot of good crime syndicates for those teen rebels. :p

12. Gotenss

May 14, 2001
    Well, they are Force users.. And there training is been done, but already there is problems.. SO its getting fun..

13. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Peace to you all,
    Sain, thanks for responding to my post. :) THis is a very COOL th5read. I LIKE it. :)
    I think there's an interesting paralell w/ Jedi marriage/not marraige thing. If you don't mind my using what I know. :) Pretty close to some of things discussed in my theological studies.
    IMO the Code about marriage simply is this: the person's dedication to the Code and it's precepts must be so strong it over shadows their love for their family.
    I think they SHOULD let marriage be an Option for a Jedi, but it must be a case-by-case w/ each Jedi who decides to marry. He/she, their mentor and prospective mate talk about it. A jedi's job is similar to any military person or a law enforcement officer. it carries great risk. (I'm a Military brat, and kinda' know.Moved as much a jedi too.)

Padawan jauhzmynn

14. Sian

Jun 22, 2002
    If I may, I shall further develop this issue.

If a Jedi marries another Jedi, then their commitment to each other are strengthened by the Jedi Council, since they both have a mutual goal in the protection of the Galaxy. However, a Jedi who marries a non-Jedi is directly interfering with the Jedi Code in two places; first he is passionate in a part that isn't integrated in the Jedi Order, and thus, share a commitment beside the Order. Second, he is breaking one important part of the Jedi Code: Discretion. He is directly interfering with a civilian, and thus, favors a specific person. The Jedi are defenders of all, not a single person. The only people outside the Jedi Order that a Jedi might dabble with are taskmasters or people whom the Jedi needs to save. A marriage between such two, a Jedi and a non-Jedi, should be severely enforced.

15. Maj-Odo_Taji

Jun 18, 2002
    Sian,

A marriage between two equally-powerful Jedi would work alot easier, I agree. Now, if one is superior to the other in his/her connection to the Force, problems may arise.

Perhaps the happy little Jedi couple is enjoying the beaches of Rathanon V when the nasty man old Sith Warrior lands his ship and draws his lightsaber, going for the husband. If the wife is stronger, and the husband weaker than the Sith Warrior, perhaps the wife would strike out in fear, hoping to protect her weaker husband form the onslought.

A stretch I know, but something off the top of my head.

Awaiting the evil to reveal itself,
    Maj-Odo Taji

16. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002

That is logical for 2 Jedi to marry(male and female). I think it's the best matching, I agree with the code of NOT marrying a non-jedi. It's being unevenly yoked and WILL and does cause trouble.

If my hubby's being atacked i WILL help protect him as he'd do the same for me b/c we maybe be separate people, but are one b/c of our union of heart and soul. It's not a matter of which souce is stronger in the Force then the other, each has skills, talents and abilites the other doesn't and they compliment each other. And that is cool, Makes them a very dangerous team for the bad guys. :-D

17. Maj-Odo_Taji

Jun 18, 2002
    Yes, but witht he union of marriage as you mentioned, if he is struck down, you'd succumb to anger, hatred, revenge, remorse and maybe even a fear that the same may happen to you. All quick paths to the Dark Side.

I am really enjoying this thread, I'm so glad I joined this forum!!!

Thanks to one and all for the stimulating conversations,
    Maj-Odo Taji

18. Sian

Jun 22, 2002
    If your husband is attacked, you should certainly not make it your first priority to protect him, but should prioritize defeating the Sith first. When you are attacked by an opponent, you should not consider yourselves married, but as two Jedi with a mutual enemy. By then, he is not your husband, but your colleague.

And even if they are uneven in ranks, a Jedi Master must be able to work as well with a Jedi Knight or Padawan, even if it is not his Padawan, as he would work with his own Padawan. When Obi-Wan witnessed Qui-Gon die at the hands of Darth Maul, he became angry and attacked recklessly. That was wrong. Even if a Jedi does feel anger or hate, he must keep those things aside until the battle is over. An angered person is more reckless and less capable in combat than a relaxed and focused one.

19. bluescribe

bluescribe Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2002
    Getting back to some things touched upon earlier in this thread, a Jedi who marries outside of the Order has but two choices, a) to leave the Order, or b) to try to hide it from the Order. (Assuming this is taking place pre-Empire, post-Empire all bets are off)

The level a Jedi would have to go to in order to hide a spouse from the Order is exceptional, just think of the possible leaks; the justice of the peace or religious figure to go through with the ceremony, any legally required witnesses, the officials who would have to be notified of a marriage, etc. Depending on the ceremony, most of these could be done away with (after all, they could just exchange rings in private and be done with it).

However, such a deception in and of itself seems to be of the Dark Side, a form of selfishness (a Jedi wanting to have his cake and eat it too, as it were).

Marrying within the Order presents a different problem altogether, as spouses may be separated for long periods of time obeying the duties of their station (not to say that this couldn't be done. Military personnel marry more often than you might think, and can be stationed on different continents. Makes for an interesting marriage, if not a happy one).

20. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    You'er welcome Maj_Odo. I'm throughly enjoying this too. :)

Well, the rule to not marry one not in the order is for a good reason. TO NOT be unevenly yoked. It's a challenge to fight the temptation to go outside the boundries made to protect us. If I have to hide the fact I've married a non jedi, I have already forsaken the Code and become a lair and in a way no longer trustworthly. If I must get married and can't control my self, then I'd be honorable and leave the Order. But on the other hand, isn't that what it's all about to have Self control? :) I have been attracted to others not of my faith but I had to disreguard the feelings, b/c 1. I can't trust mere feelings, they can be verydecpetive. 2, it was violating my Oath. My allegiance to the One I promised to serve is higher then a mere desire to chase another who hasn't made that choice. Missionary dating is out of the question. :) It is NOT eay, sometimes it takes sheer force of will. :-(

Sometimes the jedi has to see ahead to the future to see if this person is ment for him/her or not and obey that weather they want to or not, but trust that what is shown is for the best for BOTH indiviudals.
    As to the anger part about some Sith attacking a friend, husband etc. That too requires self control, for one to go balistic shows they haven't control over their emotions and actions enough to aid their college. Anger must be controlled or my friend. and mate can be killed and I'm no better then his attacker. Knowing the risks of this lifestlye is half the battle. No differant thena Military person who moves allover the palce w/ family. At any time the wife, hubby or BOTH can be called away and each has the same rsks of never coming home. Both KNOW this and accept the risks, If neither did, they wouldn't have gotten married.

Padawan Jauhzmynn

21. Lord_Darth_Bob

Lord_Darth_Bob Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 29, 2001
    There is no Dark Side of the Force. It is one.

Only individuals have a dark side.

22. bluescribe

Aug 2, 2002
    That's true, there is no separation of light and dark in the Force itself (I didn't mean for it to sound otherwise, sorry!), but a single deception may lead to others, and in this case almost certainly--I have yet to see anyone broach the subject of birth control in Star Wars, though I assume it does exist in various forms for every race (well, the more technologically inclined), but children are a likely result of an intimate relationship. Easily solved for a male Jedi ("Is it not a service to care for unwed mothers and their children?"), but what about a female Jedi?

23. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002

Oy yah, you guys have some good questions. :) Highly stimulating conversation. Alrighty, here's my take.

Being a Jedi is all about having self control over mind, body and desires, to do what is right not weather it feels good or not. Abstance IS the best form of birth control, unless theye'r married. Don't wish to have children and there are some stem-like things that can be placed in the upper arm of a female which dispenses a birth control agent for several years. These can be removed when she wishes to have children. Since Jedi have a respect for ALL life that includes newly conceived babies in the womb they will not and can not kill them. It's possible in the SW universe the stem-like formn that can control ovualtion cycles Or a Jedi MAY have enough control over her own body to control,like some creatures can on Earth. Pretty interesting though, anyone esle have an idea?

Padawan Jauhzmynn

24. Gotenss

May 14, 2001
    WOW, proud to have started this revolution:) lol.. But here my though about the marring jedi's.. As someone said earlier, if the lover was killed in action, it would take the other one to the dark-side, which i dont really agree.. Whats the different of a love for your kid or your wife??? Since padawan are being trained since the early age and are mostly treaded like sons by the master... So the death of his padawan(son) is the same thing as of a wife...

25. bluescribe

Aug 2, 2002
    Jedi in the Old Republic eschewed emotion, as self-control was thought to be the path of the light. I won't dispute that, per se, but the lapses a Jedi has are usually very helpful.

The relationship between a padawan and their master has been compared to that of a parent and child, and is probably unavoidable. After all, the padawan is allowed virtually zero relationships outside the Order, and the Master is responsible for their upbringing from a very young age up. Thus, the death of a Master (as seen in TPM), is a very traumatic thing for the padawan. Now, Obi-wan obviously tapped into his trauma and anger to defeat Maul, used the Dark Side, in short. But if he hadn't, if he had maintained his self-control, he more than likely would have lost the duel. No Obi-wan means that Anakin would not have been trained, which means no Vader, and also no Luke. It is possible, therefore, to surmise that had Obi-wan not used his emotions as a source of strength, the Emperor would have come into power and reamained undefeated.

Further, it can be seen that Luke tapped into the same resource when fighting Vader in RotJ, and that that defeat most likely would not have come otherwise.

Thirdly, had Vader not been moved by love, an emotion, for Luke, he would not have given the Emperor that little trip to the Death Star core. (How funny would it have been to see the Emperor bounce off the cockpit of the Falcon? Maybe in the Special, Special Edition).

My points are (forgive me for taking so long to get to them) that a) giving into emotions is not bad inherently, it is only a source of power, and b) the 'lightness' or 'darkness' of such power depends upon what is done with them. The end does justify the means, in other words.

Or, perhaps more succinctly, all you need is love.

Thanks to Lord_Darth_Bob for sending me on this little tangent. I'm writing a fic that includes this very concept. Hope to post it soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.