A Jedi getting married!?!?!

Discussion in 'Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Gotenss, Jun 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darin_Kane Jedi Padawan

This is my take on Jedi, marraige, and children.

First, I don't think that Lucas has really definitively answered the question as of yet. At the end of AOTC, we see Anakin getting married to Padme. Now,if the price of such were expulsion from the Jedi Order, which arguably is a price that Anakin would take, then I think it would have been touched on in the film. The whole notion of a Jedi not marrying I think is misreading what's going on - A Jedi is supposed to take responsibility for their emotions to the extent that they are supposed to avoid the emotional *entanglements* that such relationships bring, and have love for all that lives. Jedi serve one thing only - the Lving Force. If the Force or merely the needs of the Jedi Order call a Jedi away, then he or she must be prepared to deal with the consequences of seperation from family and loved ones brings.

This is a topical thread for me because I run a Star Wars IRC alternate history game where Luke Skywalker gets shot down at the Battle of Yavin, and where a group of various misfits come together as the prophecied Seven who will destroy the Emperor and help liberate the galaxy from the Empire's tyranny. The PC's found two people in liquid fill tubes on Wayland, the Emperor's retreat - Qui-Gonn Jin, and Padme Amidala. The PC's aren't sure if these two are clones are not. However, all of the PC's have had various Force Visions that have led them to each other and to Wayland. Now they run, aboard a creaky, 4000 year old ship - the Nebulon Ranger, for you TOTJ fans! While Qui Gonn trains all of them in the ways of the Force and prepares them for the Trials.

The game as it stands seethes with romance - not only can Darth Vader sense his Padme (and, she sense him - she seems to have blossoming Force Powers), but already two of the PC's have paired off with two female NPC's who are members of the Circle. It is prophecied that while the 7 will be triumphant, one of their number (which now numbers 8) will fall to the Dark Side and carry on the legacy of the Dark Lords of the Sith. ALL of the PC's are candidates for this dubious honor.

As far as I see it, whether or not Jedi could marry has differed with the times. For example, in the TOTJ era, it wasn't seen as a big deal for Jedi to have relationships. Andur Sunrider, Nomi's husband, had already had a child with her. It seems that the Jedi Order has changed as time has passed in the Star Wars setting, reflecting the cultural changes that have taken place in the galaxy.

The way that I'll be handling it will be that Qui-Gonn will explain that a Jedi can have any of the various types of relationships as normal people can have - but that passion must be firmly yoked to knowledge. Romance is tightly linked with desire, and a Jedi, beyond all else, must act with knowledge and objective facts. So, a Jedi must take as much care with marraige and relationships as he does with anything else, and objectively evaluate both his or her emotions as well whatever relationship he or she is in.

It's my view that the Dark Side is composed of easy, coarse emotions - hate, anger, fear. These are easier for Force users to manipulate, and do not take the same amount of meditation and effort that love, trust, exhiliration, courage, determination and so forth take to feel. The Jedi use the Force by feeling emotions *at will* - "stretch out your feelings!" While not taking nearly as much work or the same kind of rigorous self evaluation that the Jedi Way demands, dark side teachings are as easy as a swig of booze, a hit of a drug, a cheat or a lie. Dark Siders lie to themselves - indeed, they must, in order to maintain their own personal moral high grounds. Jedi, on the other hand, must be ruthlessly, painfully honest with themselves, in order to serve all that lives, and conduct the will of the Living Force.

A powerfully emotional relationship with a lover can be intensely distracting, especially for Padawan like Anakin who have not entirely mastered their own feelings and thoughts. And, to quote Anakin's teac
  2. IvyRaine Jedi Padawan

I don't know. A book I read once mentioned the Lost Twelve. I think that they opted to get hitched instead of the Order. Go figure.
  3. Darin_Kane Jedi Padawan

The Circle of Seven are my own creation, for my own alternate history Star Wars campaign.
  4. bluescribe Jedi Padawan

I think it was the Lost Twenty... I don't remember exactly the circumstances either though.

BTW, Darin_Kane, that's among the most creative campaign settings I've encountered yet.

And you are right, the movie (to the best of my knowledge) never said outright that marriage meant expulsion--but it certainly implied it heavily. In fact, virtually everything in the prequels and EU implies it.

Looking from the time of the Sith War to the EP2 you can see quite clearly that the Order has evolved (I know it's precarious to use anything but the movies to justify matters of canon, but go with it). Certainly the Order has become more isolationist, more reserved... given a few more centuries they probably would have begun to resemble Vulcans from Star Trek, considering the way that they seemed to frown upon emotion *of any kind*.

Also, while marriage wasn't specifically broached, it was said that a Jedi cannot love, though Anakin gave quite the argument around that rule. I don't know about you, but love is certainly a big part of marriage.

5. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 7
    The problem is no one likes being told that emotions are wrong and certainly the Jedi are giving them up.

Lucas has illustrated that this costs the Jedi, he's quite apparent that the Jedi are arrogant
    "Trade federation are cowards"
    "another pathetic lifeform"
    "He's too old"
    The Marriage issue
    "No one can corrupt Data on the Jedi files"

These things are contradicted by the Jedi in the old trilogy. However the Jedi furthermore are among the best people in the galaxy and their saviors and protectors.

So really, if it works for them it's not a bad thing necessarily. Love may be the greatest of all things but it's certainly not an emotion. It goes well beyond that as it is a thing of intellect as well.

As for absolute morality being wrong...

No, the Jedi sense what is good and what is evil so by nature they know the truth of it. The problem is unfortunately we have to deal with the situational ethics of it all because even in the best of circumstances someone will get hurt

6. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 7
    I did have an interesting sect of the Jedi in my games. In this case the last living descendants of the Sunrider family have produced the last Jedi Master the Order is likely to recieve from them (their nonforcesensetive members have all perished)

One of the Lost Twenty (in this case the number includes the three Bssaphi Dark Jedi, the Founder of the Pontenium Heresay, Count Dooku, Xanatos, A Jedi turned Pirate, Aurra Sing, and in general scum) he has had two children whom he's instructed in the Jedi Way from birth.

He's furthermore encouraging them to experience life, live amongst man, and let love be a princible that guides them...not an emotion but the incarantion of Serenity.

The Order of the Jedi deeply respects Master Sunrider but also has made it clear that his return to the Jedi Order requires this...

A:) That he renounce the mother of his children

B:) That he turn over his children's training to new masters

C:) That he always treat his children as brother and sister jedi from this day forward

This is of course unacceptable to him and unbeknowst to him one Jedi fanatic has been manipulated by Sifo-Dyias, a Jedi Councilman studying Sith magic to try and combat the rise of the Sith to try and exterminate what he percieves to be a threat to them.

I'm not sure how the story will turn out but at present the plan is Master Sunrider will be slain and his two children take up the Jedi way with one falling from the path and marrying to have children. The other one proceeds from this day forward to try and become the Perfect Jedi...his name Qui Gon Jinn.

Sifo-Dyas eventually murders the other Jedi of the Sunrider line and as he discovers that their child is not force sensetive at all and sells the girl-child to slavery with the lot.

Shmi growing up eventually recieving a greater destiny
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.