main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Jedi's Blade - Anakin's thoughts on his lightsaber and his son

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by HandmaidenEirtae, Jun 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandmaidenEirtae

HandmaidenEirtae Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 23, 2001
    Hi, all! This is a story about Anakin sending his lightsaber to Obi-Wan to give to Luke when he comes of age. It's written in letter form. I live on feedback. ;)

Disclaimer: George Lucas = Man of the Hour

This is for my son.

Obi-Wan, I hope you will fulfill this last request of mine. I know we aren't exactly on the best terms, but this is very important to me. Perhaps you can look past who is giving this to him to what it means.

It is my lightsaber, Obi-Wan, my Jedi lightsaber. My son will inherit my power, my potential in the Force, and doubtless he will become aware of it eventually. I wonder if you mean to restart the Order with him, but that does not really concern me. I'm thinking only of my child, and the danger he is in.

I never thought I'd have a son, Obi-Wan. When I was a slave back on Tatooine, I never thought of marriage. If Qui-Gon hadn't freed me, at some point I probably would have been forced to marry a slave girl so that we could have children who would have been more into slavery. It's a hateful cycle. Then I joined the Order, and marriage was strictly forbidden. I didn't always understand why, but I could accept that. At least at first.

Then there was Padmé. I never once during those ten years imagine that she would actually consent to be my wife. I know you didn't approve, Obi-Wan, and maybe you were right, but I loved her. She didn't admit that she loved me back until that day on Geonosis. You don't know how my heart swelled when she told me. You've never know love like that, Obi-Wan, and that's why you could forbid it.

I wish I could be a real father, but now I can't. It seems like every time something good happens in my life, there is a counterbalancing action to destroy it. The Emperor must never know of my son if he is to live. He has already killed almost all the Jedi, and the son of the chosen one will be too much of a threat to his power. Keep my son safe, Obi-Wan.

I wonder if he will have brown hair, like Padmé's, or lighter hair, like mine. I hope he has blue eyes so that Padmé can still see me, even in that small way. I wish I could hold him in my arms and smile down on him. I want to be able to watch him grow up through the years. I suppose he'll be angry with me for not being there. Maybe this gift will make it up to him?

I felt something through the Force just then, Obi-Wan. It felt like a tiny explosion, almost like a pop, and it felt warm and gentle. A ripple washed over me, with a taste of someone different. I'm glowing with pride. I think it's my son, Obi-Wan. I think he just came into the world. I bet he's all bloody and squalling right now, but when you get him cleaned up, I know he will be beautiful.

I hope you were there for Padmé when she gave birth. It pains me to know that I wasn't there to support her. I should have been, but the Emperor would have known. Besides, I think she wouldn't want to see me anyway. Not after the Empire and the purges. I wonder if she's afraid of me, of what she thinks I might do to our son, but I would never hurt him in anyway. I'm not completely lost yet, Obi-Wan.

Obi-Wan, give him my lightsaber when he comes of age. It is my blue blade, my Jedi blade. I won't need it now. I'm building a blade of a different color. Tell my son his father was a great Jedi warrior, and that I wanted him to have my lightsaber. I want him to take that path, Obi-Wan, if he is forced to chose. This lightsaber is the only advice I can ever give him.

I'm proud of him already. I know he will do great and honorable things. My son will be a hero.

Give him my lightsaber, Obi-Wan; it is my last request. It is a blade of a Jedi. It is the blade for my son.

~Tae

2. darla101

darla101 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 11, 2003
    Oh my!

That was breath taking. Very deep, powerful and beautifully sad.

3. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    :eek:

Very well written, beautiful and despairing in a way - because Ani knows he will likely not see his son until Luke is grown and he, Anakin, is an old man...

And I like the whole thing with Ani's saber, the idea that maybe he sent it to Ben himself.

Nem :D

4. ChinchillaFairy

ChinchillaFairy Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 2002
  5. Darth_Leia_6669

Darth_Leia_6669 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2003
    That was very touching to think that even after his turn, Anakin loved his son enough to wish him the best, and to hope that he makes better decisions than he himself did. Wonderful!

--later--

6. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Marvelous, Lyd! It's so sweet! I've been wondering how GL is going to handle the lightsaber thing in Ep. III.

*hugs*

*looks cute*

-Emmi

7. HandmaidenEirtae

HandmaidenEirtae Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 23, 2001
    Thanks, Darla! [face_blush] It's nice when the first poster is so encouraging.

JediNemesis - Thanks very much. It kinda derives from the line in ANH "You're father wanted you to have this..." I really like taking lines for the movies and exanding on them.

Thanks, ChinchillaFairy!

DarthLeia - Thank you. :) I very much wanted a thread of regret to run through it. Anakin knew what he lost, and he doesn't want his son to make the same mistake.

Yes, it'll be interesting, Emmi. *huggies* And don't even try to be cuter than me and Master. ;)

Tae

8. kristeh

kristeh Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2003
    That was so touching. Sweet and sad at the same time. It would be interesting to see Luke's thoughts when he receives the lightsaber from Obi-Wan, too. Just an idea.

9. -JediKnight-

-JediKnight- Jedi Youngling

Aug 31, 2003
    *sobs* That was beautiful *wipes a tear from his eye*

*realizes he is crying* *clears throat* Wait a minute, Jedi don't cry. They accept emotion and move on.

*says quietly* Don't tell anybody and I will be your friend!

LOL, but seriously, that was deep.

*imitates Tony The Tiger* Grreeat Post!

-jk-

10. JDH3

JDH3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Touching and beautifully crafted work need I say more. Anakin's grief over his fate combined with his pride in Luke is a powerful combination. Excellent job showing Anakin's regrets and hope for the future. Congradulations for a job very well done.

11. Tych_sel

Tych_sel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Very nice post, Tae. You've really managed to capture the inner feelings of at least one version of Anakin. It's almost as though we're hearing from both Anakin (the Jedi) and Vader (the Sith Lord). It's nice to think that Anakin wanted Luke to become a Jedi. (Perhaps for the express purpose of saving Ani?)

Anyways, great post.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

12. Diabla

Diabla Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2002
    Lovely, touching and very well done :D

13. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    That was intriguing.

That might seem like an odd comment to make, but it's true. ;) I think it's because when I read this, despite the apparent timeline, I hear Anakin, not Vader. It's like the good side of Anakin/Vader has spoken out. It makes me wonder about Obi-Wan telling Luke his father was dead, or that Anakin was lost . . . but I guess that's irrevelent, because you've created your own little universe here with this little letter.

Very simply, but beautifully, written. Your words flow beautifully, and this was just so easy to read, such a smooth transition of concepts.

Wonderful, Eirtae. :D And my apologies for not posting sooner, as I read this a while ago. I seem to be postin' a lot tonight. ;)

14. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    This is a beautiful piece!

It's so bittersweet. Anakin is resigned to his fate, but he wants better for his son. I'm proud of him already. I know he will do great and honorable things. My son will be a hero. *sniff*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.