main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Jedi's dependence on droids

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by skgai1, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skgai1

skgai1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 1, 2005
    Luke could not have gotten to the position he eventually did had it not been for droids. C-3PO and R2-D2 seek out Ben, but the Force, as it seems, guide them to Luke. Luke is then given the news of Princess Leia and his mission is set for him, but only with the necessary involvement of the droids. Later, R2-D2 helps him on a number of occasions with all his gizmos and gadgets. C-3PO provides him with "human understanding." No, not really I just love his line to R2 in AOTC "I am programmed to understand humans! IDIOT!" Luke embraces their help and genuinely cares for them. R2 and the Death Star Trench Run. "R2!" on Dagobah and others. He loves them and their help, embraced by Luke, helps him achieve his goals. Also, Luke is very friendly to the ESB droid who fixes his hand. "Good day sir."

Anakin starts out like Luke embracing and even making droids. He developed C-3PO. He's in awe of "a real astro droid" with R2 and later befriends R2. The droids are always concerned for Anakin in return. R2 saves Padme, Anakin's love, in AOTC. He wants 3P0 to "take care of her" in the PT. R2 is even is lifeblood on the Naboo starfighter. "Get me off this autopilot R2. It's gonna get us both killed." He embraces, loves and cares for these droids. But then he turns to the Dark Side and thinks only of himself. He cares for no one else now and the droids take this into consideration. The mouse droid runs away from Vader in ANH and also in ROTS right after Anakin has killed many of the Jedi. He flings the droids off him when they are suiting him up as Vader in ROTS as if to say "I will do this myself. I don't need help from some stupid droid." He throws off the droids help.

Overall, I think this an analogy that love and compassion is good. Or another way of reinforcing MisterVader's Force ideas. Anakin is doing good and is strong with the Force only when he allows the people/droids around him to help him and care for him and at times annoy him. He is compassionate and emotionally involved. Once he has power he no longer finds them necessary. He no longer cares for the collective and that's where the Force becomes imbalanced. Luke embraces these droids and lives to see another day because of it. I really don't have any questions. I thought I just state this and see if anybody agreed.

2. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    Well, Anakin became a machine, after he got into the suit.

Do machines care all that much about other machines?

Think about R2's experience on the Naboo Refugee ship... And what about that droid who laughed at that heavy worker droid on Tatooine, and then got smacked down? What about Jabba's little droid torture room? And also... didn't that silver protocol droid tell 3P0 to "Echuta!"? rofl

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Only Threepio and Artoo cared about each other. Well, it's more of Threepio relying on Artoo to protect him since he's capable of handling a lot of situations. They also carry on conversations and bicker. They're the most human in that regard. EVE-9D9 was a droid that took great pleasure in torturing droids, which is why she was put in charge of being Jabba's torture droid. The Protocol Droid on Cloud City was just stuck up. The Battle Droids and Super Battle Droids weren't built for protcol and etitqutte (sp). Hence the Super Battle Droid knocking the B2 Batttle Droid out of his way, to get at the Jedi on Geonosis.

4. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    The Jedi are just as dependant on technology as everyone else in the GFFA. That includes droids, spaceships, hyperdrives, speeders, medical technology, communicators and, of course, the technology used in a lightsaber.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.