main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends A Jedi's Life--teenage Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by SakuraTsukikage, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SakuraTsukikage

SakuraTsukikage Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2005
    Title: A Jedi's Life
    Author: SakuraTsukikage
    Time Frame: Obi-Wan is 18 or so
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon
    Genre: Mush, reflection
    Disclaimer: Nope, not mine.
    Notes: I don't usually write this era, but I guess I was kind of inspired to last night; I'm not sure why. Enjoy.

A Jedi's Life

It was raining outside the slanting transparisteel windows of the small planetary medical center. It was a torrential summer rain, apparently one of the monsoons common to the planet around this time of year. Qui-Gon could only wish the report they had received on the planet had included more details about the fierce seasonal storms instead of underestimating them rather dramatically. He would have words with the current Archivist when he returned to the Temple, that much was certain. Perhaps, if the information provided had been more complete, the situation they were now in would never have existed. The medical center was quiet, most of the frantic activity that had marked it earlier in the day dissipated now, the settlers with more superficial injuries sent home and those more seriously injured sequestered privately. This room was nearly deserted; unsurprising, as it lay in an out of the way corner near the gigantic windows. Few of those remaining in the medical center wanted to look on the storms that had caused them so much pain and difficulty.

Obi-Wan looked up at him from where he lay in the bed near the window that?d he?d requested, and his lips quirked in the slight smile Qui-Gon recognized as the one Obi-Wan used when he found something amusing but thought he really shouldn?t. ?Thinking about the lectures you?re going to give certain choice individuals when we return to Coruscant, Master?? he asked.

Qui-Gon turned from the window to fully face his reclining Padawan. ?It is important to duly consider all such words, my young Padawan,? he said gravely, hiding the twitching of his own lips behind his beard.

?You do not need to, Master,? Obi-Wan said in that even, reasonable tone he had been perfecting lately, mostly, it seemed, to tease his Master without provoking admonishments about behavior improper for a Padawan learner. ?You are an expert. After all, you have had ample practice on my humble self.?

Qui-Gon shook his head ruefully. ?Brat,? he said affectionately.

?Worrywart,? Obi-Wan retorted easily and returned his gaze to the window. ?Do not concern yourself so, Master. It is only a few broken bones. Apprentices have been known to suffer worse in lightsaber practice.?

Ha, Qui-Gon thought sourly. Only a few broken bones? ?You were nearly killed, Obi-Wan,? he said, unable to keep the tension still shuddering through him from leaking out into his voice, into the Force. Unforgivable, to lose Obi-Wan to a storm, of all things. Unacceptable, that his Padawan had been injured this badly with him only a few meters away. What kind of master was he, that he had not known of the danger facing Obi-Wan before it ever reached him?

?I was not, Master,? Obi-Wan replied. Force, how could he be so calm about the whole thing when Qui-Gon still vibrated with tension, feeling much like a time delay blasting charge set to go off at any moment? ?The Force was with me. I was in no real danger.?

?You call a broken collarbone, a shattered ankle, and three broken ribs no real danger?? Qui-Gon demanded.

?Compared to some of the things we?ve faced?? Obi-Wan asked, his voice slightly amused. ?Certainly. I will recover.?

Qui-Gon sighed unsteadily and turned away. Obi-Wan didn?t understand. How could he? He was still so young. He blinked stoically at danger, shrugged off close calls in a way Qui-Gon could no longer find within himself to do. The effects of age, Qui-Gon thought. He kept seeing the moment when Obi-Wan had charged forward, knocking the three men working on the levy in front of him out of harm?s way, kept seeing the wave crash over him and pull him under and himself standing there, helpless to protect his own apprentice. The guilt and self-recriminations wou

2. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Awwwwwwwwwww [face_love] What a marvelous warm fuzzy vignette. Just what I needed after a hard day. You did an excellent job with your portrayal of both characters. I really enjoyed it :)

3. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Just gorgeous! :D
    Loved the bantering between Obi and Qui and the changes in mood from serious to humor.
    Wonderfully done.
    Lovely work =D=

4. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    [face_love]

?I hear and obey, Master,? Obi-Wan replied wryly, but he let himself be pressed back against the pillows without offering resistance.

?See that you do,? Qui-Gon told him. ?I will need you about to see the results of my grand battle of wits and words with the Archivist.?

?To inflate your already enormous ego, you mean,? Obi-Wan retorted.

?No respect,? Qui-Gon replied in a mournful tone. ?No respect at all from the brat to whom I have given my best years.?

?If those were the best I should hate to have seen the worst,? Obi-Wan shot back, then smiled. ?Besides, I do not need to see the battle when I already know the outcome. You will emerge the victor in clear and honorable battle, Master.?

?Oh?? Qui-Gon asked. ?The Force has told you this??

?Long years of experience with your sharp tongue have told me this,? Obi-Wan countered.

I love to read these two bantering...such wonderful, nice mush.

5. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Oh, that was superb. =D= The emotion, the language. I really liked this line in particular: He blinked stoically at danger, shrugged off close calls in a way Qui-Gon could no longer find within himself to do. 'Blinking stoically', for some reason, struck me as a fantastic description for Obi-Wan's youthful ways.

It was heartbreaking, the way that Qui-Gon struggled against his guilt, trying not to show his fear in front of Obi-Wan. And Obi-Wan assuring his Master...awww. [face_love]

Beautiful job, Sakura.

6. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was lovely and very mushy. Just what I needed! I thought you got the two of them down very well - the banter and affection was very clear.

Great job. Loved it.

7. ClaudiaR

ClaudiaR Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2007
    That was lovely... I loved the sentiments and the way you expressed them intermingling humor with seriousness.
    And how mature Obi is talking to his master, the way he could guess what Qui-Gon was thinking and the request of a bed near the storm that injured him!

I just loved it... but I really want to know what Qui will say to the Archivist now!

8. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    Notes: I don't usually write this era, but I guess I was kind of inspired to last night; I'm not sure why. Enjoy.
    You should definitely write more often here - that was so nice, I enjoyed it very much! =D=

9. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Awwwww...I absolutely loved the banter between Qui and Obi

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

How very typical of them both to think they were at fault. I'm glad to see they were able to talk it out.

Great job on this

=D= =D= =D= =D=

10. Ganki

Ganki Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    Very poetically done, I loved the relationship shown between the pair. The banter was cute but filled with emotion. I am very glad you choose to get inspired and right a ?Before the Saga? ficcie! ^__^

11. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Loved it and Qui-Gon should change his boots soon. Wet feet are blistering fast.

A great fic to read=D=

12. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    This was very lovely=D= u should most deffinetly write this era more often ;)

[face_laugh] me too :p

Fantastic job :D

13. Luminara_Kenobi

Luminara_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 6, 2006
    Awww! So cute! I love these two, especially when Qui-Gon's rocking the parental overprotective. Great job!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.