Before A Jedi's Sacrifice (a KOTOR fic) authors note--6-27

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by obi_webb, Oct 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. obi_webb Force Ghost

star 4

Title: A Jedi's Sacrifice
    Author: obi webb
    Timeframe: after the first KOTOR game
    Characters: revan, bastila, the exile, jolee bindo
    Genre: who knows?
    Summary: telling my version of what happens after revan defeats darth malak. will go into what i think should be KOTOR 3
    Notes: my first fic!

His name used to be Darth Revan. He was a powerful lord of the Sith. So powerful in fact that had he not been betrayed by his apprentice Malak, the Republic could have been his to command.

In a different life he led the Republic Fleet to victory against the Mandolorians in a war that by all accounts the the Republic was soundly losing. It was his strategic brilliance and natural charisma that led the Republic to it's ultimate victory agiainst the combined strength of the Mandolorian Clans.

The cost of the victory was high however. Revan had went to war without the approval of the High Council of the Jedi. Though to the Republic his victory had made him a hero, to the Jedi
    Order to which Revan belonged he was traitor to their cause along with the many others who followed him to war.

But Revan did not face the Council.

After the final battle of the Mandolorian Wars was done, Revan, along with his closest friend, the Jedi Malak, diaappeared.

When they returned they did so with a vast fleet of warships. And they had both fully embraced the Dark Side. The Jedi Revan was now Darth Revan, dark lord of the Sith. And his closest friend Malak was his apprentice.

Revan, who was once so quick to act to stop the Mandolorian threat from taking over the Republic, had now made his bid to take over the Republic himself. And like in the war previous, Revan proved to be a more then effective leader. He had planned for every aspect of the war he was to start. His victory
    was assured save for one thing that Revan, perhaps in his newfound arrogance had forgot.

The way of the Sith, ultimately always ends in betrayal.

The details are unimportant. It is essentially the same story that every Sith must go through. The important facts were it happened, and when it did, the one that was Darth Revan, the Sith Lord who eventually seemed destined to have the Republic in the palm of his hand, was no more. His body and mind broken.

It is somewhat ironic, but not suprising that when Revan fell apart, it was the Jedi Order that picked up his pieces. They put his body and mind back together. And when they were done the person that emerged was Revan no more.

He became Gando Star. He had no knowledge of his former life. The Jedi did their best to erase all aspects of the person that was Darth Revan. They started him on the path of the Jedi again and set him on a quest that eventually ended with Gando defeating Malak and ending the Sith War that he had originally started.

Along the way he met many worthy friends and companions that were instrumental in helping him defeat Darth Malak. He also through Malak, learned of his former identity. His former life
    as Revan, that the Jedi had tried so hard to completly erase.

The opportunity was there for him to reclaim his old life and once again turn to the Dark Side. He refused it. He stayed on the path of Light.

And now he lies awake in his bed, unable to sleep. When he does sleep, he dreams. Dreams of the life he wishes he could forget. He dreams of darkness. A darkness that once consumed
    him. A darkness that he knows, no matter what he does, or how hard he tries to rid himself of it, is still there.

He dreams of it every night. And every night, when he wakes up afraid, he does what he always does.

He thinks of her. He thinks of Bastila. From her he draws his strength.

She is much like him. She was a Jedi, who fell to the Dark Side, and then came back to the Light again. She was Gando Star's first real teacher. She was the one who brought Gando to the Jedi again. She is also the woman that Gando Star loves.

Gando gets out of bed wearily.

He
  2. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Welcome to the boards, obi_webb.

Nice start of the fic. The way of the Sith, ultimately always ends in betrayal. -- Yes, exactly!!
  3. Jayd Jedi Knight

star 3
    What a great intro, obi_webb! You set the scene really well, I'm looking forward to diving into the story to follow, learning about your version of Revan. I like how you've taken the narrator viewpoint to start with, it lends the intro some weight. Can't wait to read more. :)
  4. Stella_Ripple Jedi Knight

star 3
    GREAT job!
    I like the way you've set the scene for the uninitiated among us! Good choice on the narrative voice- very SW! Can't wait to see more, especially Revan's message and please do cntinue to PM with updates- I'd hate to miss this!
  5. DarthReven Jedi Youngling

Nice post, obi! Ditto to everything said here, i cant think of much new stuff to say except: When is the next post?
  6. Teegirloo Force Ghost

star 6
    Great Job Obi =D=

A darkness that he knows, no matter what he does, or how hard he tries to rid himself of it, is still there.

You describe it wonderfully and i wonder if the darkness will pop up now and then.

Will Revan ever see Bastila again hmmm well im hoping.

Im looking forward to reading more of your version of how KOTOR 3 will be.
  7. RevaDurron Force Ghost

star 5
    Hey nice Obi!

I can't wait to see where you take this. :)
  8. Amon_Amarth Force Ghost

star 6
    Great fic Obi-Webb! =D= =D= I like the way you described the 'atmosphere'. :) Well done!
  9. Kestrel_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm intrigued! I'll admit to being pretty clueless when it comes to KOTOR so this chapter was great for me. You've set the scene up well and I can't wait to read more. Let me know when you update.

=D=
  10. obi_webb Force Ghost

star 4
    THANK YOU everyone for taking the time to read this! ESPECIALLY all my fellow acolytes of revan! :)
    glad you all enjoyed it!
    the next post should be SOON! i have the next few parts rough drafted... just need to make a few tweaks...
    and i'm sure most of you saw it, but i forgot to put it in when i first posted and the people i wanted to thank already read the first part by the time i noticed so, again
    SPECIAL THANKS TO MY MASTER JAYD AND MY FRIEND STELLA RIPPLE FOR HELPING ME WITH THIS! :D
    and for those of you who have asked me, i will pm you when i post the next update!
  11. obi_webb Force Ghost

star 4
    Bastila awakens and immediatly knows something is wrong. She doesn't want to open her eyes. This morning is not something she wants to face. And for the life of her she is not sure why.

She notices, still in a half asleep daze that Gando is not beside her. Not entirely uncommon. Gando is an early riser and likes to take early morning runs. Something not for her,
    definitly. The early rising part of it, or the running part of it.

She likes to sleep late, if it all possible. She enjoys not having a Jedi Master wanting her to wake early and train. One of her simalarly minded friends in the Order always had a saying.
    Early to bed and early to rise make a man stupid and blind in the eyes.

Bastila always figured that saying applied to women, as well.

She attempts to rub the sleepiness from her eyes, and the feeling she has grows stronger. Something is wrong. And as she begins to wake up she realizes that it is something with
    Gando. They have always had a bond in the Force and that bond has grown stronger as time has went on.

When he is near her, his prescence in the Force comforts her like nothing she has ever known. The closer he is to her the stronger she can feel him through their bond.

Then she suddenly realizes that his prescence in her mind is faded, like it is coming from far away.

"He is not on Dantooine!" she says to herself, more then surprised.

Then where could he be? She knows he would not leave the planet without telling her unless.......

Her thoughts are inturrupted by the beeping of the telecommunicator on the wall.

Gando!

She runs through the bedroom, nearly tripping over one of the chairs as she hits the button to answer the call.

"Why hello Bastila! I just called to see how you kids were doing!" the old woman on the screen says smiling a toothless smile.

Bastila holds in a sigh. The newly wedded bride of Ahlan Matale, Bertha. The Matales are their closest neighbors and Bertha has taken a liking to them. Especially Gando. Actually as
    Bastila thinks about it again, Bertha pretty much just likes Gando and not her as far as she can tell.

Bastila forces as friendly a smile as she can muster.

"Hello to you Bertha! You haven't seen Gando by any chance have you?" she asks.

"I wish i have my dear! Such a fine young man! So friendly! And so cute! I just think he is the greatest thing! You should tell him to come visit me!"

Fat chance of that you old wench, Bastila thinks to herself. But she forces herself to remain friendly and says, "Perhaps we will both come and visit sometime."

Bertha doesn't do a good job of masking the disappointment in her face as Bastila says the word, BOTH.

"So you say you don't know where Gando is at huh? That's too bad! Maybe he went fishing! I know that my Ahlan loves to fish! I cannot stand the little creatures myself! They frighten me!
    I always stay home! Perhaps next time Ahlan is gone Gando can come visit me! I am sure that we both......."

Bertha keeps talking, seemingly content to ramble on and on without even giving Bastila a chance to reply back. Not that Bastila hears any of Bertha's talking at this point. She just
    smiles and nods her head as in her mind she thinks of Gando.

Did he have some kind of appointment somewhere off planet that she had forgotten about? She knows the answer to that question even as she asks it to herself, but she is worried and starting to feel a bit frantic.

Perhaps he went to visit Jolee or Carth and simply lost track of time. She knows how those boys can get when they get together and start trading stories. But she knows that Gando wouldn't do that without telling her.

She continues to come up with reasons for Gando not being there that in her heart she knows are not logical. She knows the answer to her question. Deep down she knows but she does not want to admit it. She does not want to
  12. DarthReven Jedi Youngling

OOh, i wonder what the message will say... I wonder if bastila will get Carth and Jolee Canderous, etc to find Gando. That would be interesting.
  13. RevaDurron Force Ghost

star 5
    Interesting development that. I love what you have done with Bastilla. :D
  14. Teegirloo Force Ghost

star 6
    Oh no Gando's gone what will Bastila do. They have a force bond will she go after him.

You should tell him to come visit me!" Fat chance of that you old wench

Bastila still has some of that attitude but its still funny nonetheless:p

Good job Obi i loved how Bastila is written.:D
  15. Stella_Ripple Jedi Knight

star 3

Early to bed and early to rise make a man stupid and blind in the eyes. LoL- mesa likes that one [face_laugh]

I really like your Bastilla, she seems as if she could be really feisty but caring at the same time- nicely done. I think this bit sums it up If she was the person she once was, she would have. Now though, she realizes that Gando will talk when he is ready. She just does her best to
    be there for him and comfort him and hopes that if he does not want to talk about it, her love is enough to weather the storm that is in his heart.

Well done on successfully mushifying me! =D=

Oh and nice touch with Bertha- what a character, you've got a lot of potential humour there. I love that she's such a trigger for teeth grinding in Bastilla

And most importantly- keep up the speedy updates!
  16. Kestrel_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 4
    Great writing, I'm enjoying getting to know all the characters & I'm so anxious to know what happens next! Keep me updated!
  17. kotorchick Force Ghost

star 4
    you've caught me in. Nice job. Nice. I'm usually a reader of LSF Revan stories, but this one... it's holding me in. You're writing style appeals to me. Nicely constructed, and I love how it is. Bastila seemed totally in character, and I liked how Revan left, and I think I know to where, but I"m not saying.
  18. obi_webb Force Ghost

star 4
    part 3 is almost ready to go! thank you all for reading and your comments! they are much appreciated!

DarthRevan yes, that WOULD be interesting wouldn't it? we'll just have to wait and see huh? ;)

RevaDuron glad you like my take on bastila!:) she was always a favorite of mine, and my struggle with her was keeping her the old, feisty, bastila we all know, but with a softer edge.
    we never got to really see what bastila would be like if she was deeply in love with someone and this is my take on how she'd be.

JEDI_TEEGIRL00 bastila will certainly WANT to go after revan, but the message he left her will give her much to think about! that's all i will say! you probably already know what i mean being a kotor fan..;)

Stella_Ripple nice to know i "mushified" you!:D
    your stories certainly do that to me, so glad i could return the favor! glad you had fun reading Bertha too! i certainly had fun writing her!

Kestrel_Kenobi there will certainly be many more kotor characters you will get to know in the posts ahead! thank you for "taking the plunge" and letting me be your guide of the kotor era!

kotorchick glad to see i'm holding you in! :D
    my writing style is a bit different, so it's nice to here it appeals to you! (and apparently, it appeals to others too! :) )
    and being a kotor fan, i'm sure you DO have an idea of where revan is going.. but as they say getting there is half the fun!
    glad to have you along for the ride!

thank you all again for reading!:)

19. ticopuma Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Please ig your doing PM's please PM me. Great Job. I LOVE kotor stroies.

Great Job!!

=D=
  20. DarthReven Jedi Youngling

When will we get chapter 3?
  21. obi_webb Force Ghost

star 4
    The message pops up on Bastila's screen. This is what it
    reads.

Bastila. To start my message I'll use an old cliche because
    it's true. By the time you read this I will be gone. I'm sorry.
    I'm so sorry Bastila, but I have no choice.

I'm not really even sure where to begin, or even sure if I
    really want to begin at all. I think of you, asleep in our bed
    alone and part of me wants nothing more then to delete this message forever and forget about this.

But I can't. Please understand that I can't. Because I'm
    starting to remember things. Things I wish I could forget. You remember all those nights these recent weeks when I wake up in a
    cold sweat? You ask me what's wrong and I always tell you it's nothing.

How I wish that were true.

I'm having visions again Bastila. Horrible visions. A look back at the life I wish I could forget.

I dream of my old self, Darth Revan. I dream of death, Bastila. Deaths that I caused. Despite the good we have done together, my love, I know I must continue to do good without rest,
    for the rest of my life to atone for my sins.

But death is not the only thing I dream of. I dream of things I learned as Revan that I had long since forgotten. You see, Malak and I learned much more in our time away after the Mandolorian Wars then just the Star Forge. Much more. And much worse then any threat the Star Forge represented. Potentially a thousund times worse.

We learned about the true Dark forces of the universe.

The Sith now are just the followers of an ideal. But where did this idea originate from? Granted, anger, hate, suffering, and the lust for power are just human emotions. We all have the potential for that. We both know that all too well.

But just as the Jedi started somewhere, the Sith started somewhere too.

And know I remember where. And the horrible thing is, they're
    still there. They have been growing Bastila. Growing into an empire. An empire so far out in the Unknown Regions that I believe I am the only one in the Republic who knows they even exist.

But they do exist Bastila. They exist and they must be stopped. And I must go alone.

The visions I'm having Bastila. We've always shared the same visions. A result of our Force bond. But now the visions I have of this Sith empire I am having alone. As if the will of the Force is telling me that this knowledge is meant only for me. I probably shouldn't even be leaving you this message, Bastila. But not only do I have to live with the will of the Force, I have to live with my conscience as a man as well.

I couldn't just leave you without you knowing why, and how much my heart breaks to do so.

I don't know what I'm going to do Bastila. Take down the entire
    Sith empire by brute force? Not likely. More likely it is a question of strategy. I need to find the right pieces to pull to make the entire Sith empire collapse. Or at least pull enough pieces that someone can continue in my footsteps when I am gone.

This is not something I think I will come back from. Success or no. The odds against me are too great. But I would not be going if I felt I was throwing my life away.

You and I both know that the Republic is in shambles. It has been through the gauntlet as of late. First Exar Kun, then the Mandolorian Wars, and then the Sith War that I started. The Republic is at the weakest point in it's long history.

And there is a darkness on the horizon that does not include
    the Sith I must face. The Republic needs every resource it has to ensure that it stays together. Those resources include you Bastila. Along with Jolee, Juhani, Canderous, Mission, Zaalbar and Carth.

I cannot ask for help when I am going to face a threat we may not face in our lifetime.

But we will face it, Bastila. If not us then our children. And I will not let this threat continue when I know about it.

Please Bastila, I beg you, don't try to follow me.

I'm so sorry. I love y
  22. Darth_Powder_Puff Jedi Knight

Aww! :_| I feel so bad for both of them- it can't be easy for either of them! I liked how Bastilla is actually conflicted between what Gando wants her to do and what she wants to do, it gives her character so much more depth, than if she were to just race out to follow Gando!
    Can't wait for the next update-even more than usual this time, because if you've left us at a particuliarly horrible place!
  23. DarthReven Jedi Youngling

Cool post. I enjoyed the mesage, it was pleasantly longer than anticipated. I also liked the last line, it was a good little link.
  24. RevaDurron Force Ghost

star 5
    Great post, I liked how you put it in the form of a message.

Can't wait to more. And to see how it develops.
  25. Kestrel_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 4
    That was beautifully written and so moving :_|
    I really felt for Bastila - I like her a lot.

I'll be very interested to see where this is heading.

Great post.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.