main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends A Jedi's Sacrifice (a KOTOR fic) authors note--6-27

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by obi_webb, Oct 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthReven

DarthReven Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2005
    First Post! WOOT! Anyways, nice ending. I liked Jolee, but i always do. You took in Bastila's emotions, as well as Jolee's way to calm her very well. Also, feel free to PM about anything about the history of KOTOR time perriod( i have the TOTJ comics as well), or any thing about Mandalorians; anything to make this Fic the best it can be;)

2. WyoJedi

WyoJedi Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 2005
    Yea! Finally we get to see Jolee. He is one of the greatest characters in KOTOR. I love how you had him just sitting there fishing, that is so in his nature.

I also really like the wide range of emotions you have Bastila going through. It gives her so much more depth. I think you have added a lot to an already great character.

Great job. Can't wait for the next installment.

Cheers,
    Wyo

3. DarkMan77

DarkMan77 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 23, 2005
    I agree with Wyo, you really nail bastila's emotions. Especially the inner turmoil.

I'm sorry to say i never really cared for Jolee Bindo. (Sorry Bindo-fans)

Hope you give us more soon, because i love it!

Fanfic greetings [face_peace]

4. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Beautiful!
    I really REALLY like Bastilla now- you're doing such an amazing job of showing us so many sides of her =D=
    My favourite bits:
    Firstly, Dorak. Very sweet friend. He know just when to go over and comfort her, that was a nice little image. It was nice to know some more backstory of her and gando like how she first fell in love with Gando, I'd been meaning to ask you about that...
    But the best bit, for me, was her frustration with Jolee- very well done, it really was tangible- and then the sudden realisation that she need not centre on her grief!

*sniff* an excellent job, and i really did like the hopeful ending!

5. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Obi, you know I really like Bastila! Lovely piece, very emotional, very sad.
    Nice introduction of Jolee, seems like a wise soul.

Sometimes you need to forget life and just fish. Enjoy the moment. Enjoy the weather and the sight of the ocean and being with an old friend. Just let go all the pain, at least for a little while.

So that's what she did.

Loved this btw...great job Obi. As always I look forward to more.

6. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    WOW your writing Bastila beautifully as i knew you could and Jolee is so wise i just love it.:D

7. obi_webb

obi_webb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    thank you all for reading and for you feedback! :D the next part should be up soon!

DarthReven i imagine i will be needing your knowledge of all things mandolorian in the future! thanks for being there to help, esteemed mandalore! :cool:

WyoJedi jolee is one of my favorite too! :D he's one of my favorite characters to write as well so you'll be seeing more of him for sure!
    glad you like Jolee fishing! i thought it was a fun idea for him! i figured there was something fitting about him being able to ramble on about fish stories, in addition to everything else he likes to ramble about!

DarkMan77 always nice to hear approval from a fellow kotor writer! and always nice to hear good things about my handling of bastila! i've put the most effort i think into her character so far, so it's good to hear that it's paid off!

Stella Ripple yeah, i liked the hopeful ending too! :D i figured it was ABOUT time i do one that way! and i'm glad you mentioned the moment of bastila's frustration with jolee! i thought that was a nice realistic reaction and i'm glad you said it was well done and very tangible! that's what i was going for! :D

Kestrel Kenobi the end line was my FAVORITE part of the last chapter so it's good to see that you picked it out as a line you liked too!

JEDI TEEGIRL00 [face_blush] thanks tee! i do my best!

8. DarthReven

May 8, 2005
    when will the next post be up?

9. REVANLORD

REVANLORD Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    I was expecting something like they go off together, you surprised me! :)

10. obi_webb

Aug 4, 2005
    REVANLORD glad i suprised you! i'll do my best to keep that up! :D

---------------------------------------------
    Gando Star lands his ship at an unusually busy docking bay on Sullust. This planet wasn't a tourism capital of the Republic by any means. Quite the opposite actually. Unless your paticular species is fond of blistering heat and encountering active volcanos as often as you encounter gift shops on some planets, you don't venture into Sullust unless you have to.

But today was different, and Gando knew that only meant one thing.

Swoop racing circuit must be coming through today. That was the only explanation. The Sullust course was particularly dangerous. That is to be expected when you're racing around molton lava though. Crowds always liked seeing their favorite swoop jockey brave this course.

Too bad I left my swoop bike on Danntoine, Gando sarcastically muses to himself.

His skill with swoop bikes was useful in the past. He recalls that it was only with winning Motta the Hutt's non sanctioned swoop races that he had enough credits to buy HK-47 from a droid dealer on Tatooine name Yuka Laka.

Now he's here to buy another HK droid. But he has no need to swoop race for credits now. Credits aren't a problem. He has plenty on him. And he made sure that he left plenty of credits from their savings for Bastila. He left her more then enough.

He lets out a long sigh as he gets up from his pilots chair.

He still feels a rush of sadness everytime he thinks her name.

Gando collects himself, leaves his ship, and heads into the busy spaceport.

------------------------------

Jerec Enda is a long way from home.

He just downloaded all the navigation charts from a local server and now he sits on the bed in his tiny cramped hotel room, planning their next move. He thinks he might have ran far enough
    away now.

He'd hoped that Sullust would be the their new home. But once he got here and they noticed how ridiculously hot it was, and how many volcanos littered the landscape, they decided to look elsewhere. But before they left this planet, they figured they could at least stop for a day and rest.

He looks at the girl laying on the other bed across from his.

His sister, Mera. She was eighteen. Three years younger them him. She's asleep now. He hopes she is sleeping well. Wherever they go, whatever destiny has in store for him, he will protect her. He at least will do that.

He couldn't protect anyone else.

He tries to get his mind off all that and puts his attention back on the datapad in front of him. The nearest planet was Kamino. Now that he had info from the server on the surrounding planets he could find a suitable planet for them to live. He didn't think Kamino was it either, upon looking at the data on the planet.

Jerec gets himself out of bed and leaves a quick message for Mera in case she wakes up soon. He says he'll be right back.

He needs a new droid. He needs one that is familiar with this part of the universe. And he saw a droid dealer when they passed through the market area of town.

Jerec gets out of bed, puts on his boots, and heads to the door.

Before he gets there he stops and turns to look back at his sister.

She is all he has left. He has no other family. No place that he can call home.

But now that he is far away from the Sith Empire, now that he is in what he has he heard referred to as the Republic, maybe they can both start again.

And that destiny is a possibility for Jerec Enda. Perhaps he and his sister will be able to begin a new life here in the Republic. But the two Sith that have tracked Jerec and Mera to Sullust might have another destiny in mind for the two.

The Sith are close. And as Jerec leaves his hotel room and heads toward the market area of town to buy his droid, he doesn't realize he's playing right into their hands.

And with that the wheels are set in

11. Kestrel_Kenobi

Sep 26, 2005
    [face_worried] Oh, evil cliffhanger obi...now I'm worried.

I liked the introduction of Jerec and his sister - it makes me care for them already.

As always great job obi - looking forward to finding out what happens! Don't keep us hanging on too long!

=D=

12. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    And so begins the infamous sullust scene! :D
    Great job!! I'm really beginning to feel for Gando- poor guy, he really misses Bastilla. A wonderful job on setting the scene- I could really imagine the volcano track the jockeys etc!
    And whats this some new characters?! Poor Jerek, looks like some guilt hanging over him and what a tantalising way to leave it! [face_shame_on_you] :D

13. DarkMan77

Mar 23, 2005
    Excellent update obi! Can't wait to see all hell breaking loose on Sullust.
    Gando better gather his wits, if he's going to race, or he'll crash the the swoop bike!

Best FanFic wishes [face_peace]

14. DarthReven

May 8, 2005
    Nice. I like the new charaters, very inturging. Since it seems that Jerec is also going to the HK dealer, it seems Revan will have a sith( even if it is a good one) to deal with.

15. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    Wow the plot thickens good intro on Jerec looks like Gando may have some kind of alliance with Jerec possibly hmm well time will tell good job my e-bro keep em coming:D

16. WyoJedi

Nov 7, 2005
    Nice setup! I also like the intro of Jerec and Mera. I can't wait to see how these two stories intertwine. Great job!!!

Cheers,
    Wyo

17. obi_webb

Aug 4, 2005
    now THAT pesky chapter is out of the way!! some of you have heard me complain about the PROBLEMS i had with that one! i had SO many different plans for it, as for how the OC's would be introduced, to how much of their background i would reveal, to........well let's just say i could go on for a while!
    but in the end, i was quite happy with how the last chapter turned out. even IF it ended up being a bit short!
    ANYWAY, on to my usual comments!

Kestrel Kenobi yep, i DO like a good cliffhanger every so often! even if they are [face_devil] thank you so much for your constant encouragment!

Stella Ripple yep, the infamous sullust scene! you have probably heard me complain about the difficulties of this chapter more then anyone! thanks for always being there for me to ramble to!:D
    and YES, jerec does have quite a bit of guilt hanging over him. you'll find out more soon!

Darkman77 yep, things get ugly on sullust! gando certainly gets a LOT more then he bargained for with this trip! and he hasn't even got HK yet!

DarthRevan it's good to see that everyone is taking to the new characters quickly! they're my first attempt at OC's so i was quite excited to start writing them!

JEDI_TEEGIRL00 yep, an alliance with gando is a possibility.. but they are trying desperatly to LEAVE the sith empire behind them... gando is trying to venture into the heart of it... but we will see, won't we?;)
    glad you're enjoying things big sis!:D

WyoJedi more praise for the OC's! thank you! i hope to tell their story as well as i have it planned in my head! i suppose that's always the trick, isn't it? glad you liked things!

as for the next post.. this one is going to be much easier to write then the last one, but i have so much holiday stuff going on that i don't think it'll be done as quickly as i'd like it to be!
    i HOPE by saturday night/sunday morning.. certainly not much later then that!
    i hope that all your holiday seasons go/are going well! love all your holiday icons too!

18. obi_webb

Aug 4, 2005
    The marketplace is a crowded one at the moment. The route through there is the quickest way to get to the swoop track. And the race is getting ready to start.

Jerec Enda wishes he knew a quicker way to the droid shop he saw earlier. All these people are making what should be a relatively quick trip much longer then it should be. He is anxious to get his droid, go back to his sister and leave this place. He hates leaving her alone. They are a long
    way from the Sith Empire. But still he feels like they won't be completly safe until they at long last find a new home away from everything.

He thinks that his fears are unfounded. He thinks that he is just paranoid, not used to being away from the Sith that have taken so much from him and his people. He's so far away now that they will never be able to find him. They won't be able to hurt him or Mera anymore.

That's what he thinks.

He doesn't see the two Sith trailing close behind him. They have spotted him, and now they know that their hunt will soon be over.

Gando Star is going through that same marketplace. He actually sees Jerec Enda in front of him. But to him, Jerec is just another face in the crowd. Gando ignores him and goes about his business.

Later on, when Gando thinks about what happened in that Sullust marketplace that day, he wonders why Jerec hadn't lit up like a neon sign in the Force when he first spotted him in the crowd of people.

As important as his role was in what was to come, he thought that the Force would have gave him some kind of sign..

But that was not to be.

Jerec sees the alleyway in between the two shops and quickly goes off the main road into it.

It's narrow. But there were no crowds of race fans to wade through. And if his sense of direction is correct this should take him out right about where he needs to go.

A shortcut. Good. He doesn't want Mera to wake up and be alone.

He's halfway down the alleyway when he gets the sudden feeling that for some reason he can't place this shortcut wasn't a good idea.

No one sees the sudden blur of movement of one figure in a dark cloak quickly speeding through the crowd and into an alleyway. And another one even quicker speeding in the opposite
    direction past some local vendors booths and around the block.

No one but Gando. And he sees it just barely.

Who were they? And what was it that they were chasing after?

The one went in the alley ahead of him. The other circled around....

They were trapping someone in that alley, he thinks, and he knows he's right.

No one sees Gando as he suddenly uses the Force and speeds into that alleyway either.

Jerec sees the dark figure suddenly in front of him, weilding his red single bladed lightsaber and he knows that somehow the Sith followed him here. He curses to himself as he pulls out a lightsaber of his own.

His focuses all his attention on the Sith in front of him and attacks with a ferocity he didn't know he had.

The Sith is suprised. He hadn't expected a fight from him.

Those Rebels have had no training in the Force and little to no knowledge of lightsaber techniques, he thinks. How is this one even managing to defend himself?

But what this Sith underestimated is how much complete and utter desperation can help you in a fight sometimes.

This Sith was fighting to complete an assignment. But Jerec Enda was fighting not only for his life but his sister's
    life. He was fighting for all the people he feels he let down. He was fighting for a new start for him and Mera.

Jerec Enda was winning the fight too. His father is somewhere in the Force right now and he is proud of his son. Jerec would have been the first one in his part of the universe to defeat a Sith in one on one lightsaber combat in 500 years.

But this fight was not one on one.

The second Sith now came up on them from behind. Jerec actually sensed it. But there was nothing he could do.

Gando Star race

19. DarthReven

May 8, 2005
    Gando doesn't know the story. He doesn't know why all this just happened. But he feels that whatever happened, somehow his quest to stop the Sith would have been drastically different if he only would have arrived in that alley just a moment sooner.

I liked this part. It seems that Jerec wont be a huge charater after all, and that mera will be the larger one... hm. I wonder if revan and mera would ever get romanticaly involved. It could turen bastila to the darkside for sure... Both ways, i prefer bastila and revan together anyways, just a thought.

Byt the way, dont hesitaet to PM for help on any mando involved seens, Obi. I would be glad to help!

20. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Nice update, obi-webb. =D=

But what this Sith underestimated is how much complete and utter desperation can help you in a fight sometimes.

Most of the Sith do the same mistake. :p

21. Scoundrel1100

Scoundrel1100 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 28, 2004
    Obi...

I sat at the computer for a couple minutes before I could find the words. I came up with one and only one.

Gripping...

This story has utterly gripped me and now has control. This section/chapter would've been good if it'd followed the cliche'd route of Jerec killing the two Sith and then meeting Gando...but the way you did it is IMHO exponentially better. Now the poor bastard's dead, and it's Gando that must tie up the loose ends.

When Jerec got it in the chest...when I read that specific line...just gripping. ...and the reason it's so damn good is because you, as the writer and creator of this piece, give us the emotional appeal necessary to make us care about Mera before Jerec even gets killed, so that by the time he bites it, the appeal of the situation wraps our emotions around its little finger. Now Jerec's dead, and Mera is without support any more, and she doesn't even know.

"AAAAAAAHHHHH!!!! I want to know what happens when they both go to the droid shop and get f#ck%d with by a Sith...!!! kickass cliffhanger!!!" - a comment I made to my Apprentice**

"...and this Jerec Enda...he used to be a Sith? this is going to get VERY interesting VERY quickly..." - another comment I made to my Apprentice**

...the plot thickens.

Love it.

Scoundrel

22. Xeks321

Xeks321 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2005
    I admit that I am coming into this story very late, but I can take that every part of it was new and I could enjoy from beginning up to now. Excellent story. You have captured the characters from KOTOR very well. You have taken Gando (a.k.a. Revean) and made him what you wanted him to be which was the main point in the game. A nice mix of humor mixed in to the seriousness of some posts. Just outstanding, keep it up. I can't wait for the next update.

Xeks

23. DarkMan77

Mar 23, 2005
    Another excellent update obi! =D=

I did not foresee the death of Jerec (that is if he's truly dead)
    If he is, i suspect mera to become an important character!

Keep up the good work my friend!

FanFic greetings [face_peace]

24. Kestrel_Kenobi

Sep 26, 2005
    obi!

I was holding my breath whilst reading that and then...

Gando Star races into the alley just in time to see Jerec getting a lightsaber put through his chest.

OMG, I was not expecting that at all! I jumped out of the chair!
    I feel so bad for Mera though :( ...

Fantastic writing, this keeps getting better and better.

Please update soon!

=D=

25. WyoJedi

Nov 7, 2005
    WOW! I did not see Jerec's death coming. I can't believe how bad I felt when I read that scene. He seems to have been only a minor character, but that scene was just really powerful.

Great job!

Cheers,
    Wyo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.