main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends A Jedi's Sacrifice (a KOTOR fic) authors note--6-27

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by obi_webb, Oct 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi_webb

obi_webb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    DarthReven- well esteemed mandalore, i'll just say that i prefer revan and bastila together too. BUT who knows where the story will go?;)

Amon Amarth- yeah those blasted sith don't ever learn do they? glad you liked things!

Scoundrel1100-[face_blush] thank you!
    yeah, things are starting to get interesting huh? and i have quite a few more suprises up my sleeve![face_devil]

Xeks321- thank you for taking the time to read this from the beginning! it's nice to hear you liked things!
    yeah, one of the cool things about revan is that he is really open for interpretation! i always had a very specific personality for him in mind and it's been quite a bit of fun writing him!

Darkman77- yep, unfortunatly jerec IS dead. i HATE when you think someone is dead and then the author comes up with some cheap way to say the person isn't really dead. it CAN be done right, but with how i wrote the last part and how i attempted to hook the emotions of the readers with his death, i would not cheat my readers and bring him back to life.
    apologies to those who WANT to see him back!

Kestrel Kenobi- i had HOPED i would suprise you with that!:cool:

WyoJedi i think this chapter was my favorite to write so far, so it's good to hear it called "powerful."

i hope everyone has a great new year! don't do anything TOO crazy at any new years parties!:p
    next chapter will be up soon!

2. obi_webb

Aug 4, 2005
    Gando Star was NOT going to let those 2 Sith get away.

He concentarates, using the Force to keep his burst of speed going, all the while letting it guide him around the crowd of people and merchants in his path.

Whoever trained these Sith, they were certainly fast. They move as one, weaving through the crowd with ease, and they already had a good lead on Gando.

Gando thinks of the dead body he had to leave behind in the alley. If he loses these Sith now, he knows chances are slim he would ever find them again. Gando, already running at near his top speed, goes faster still.

He needs to end this chase. He needs to do it now. There's 2 of them and one of him. If they split up and go in seperate directions he can only go after one.

Why are they sticking together? They could easily split up, one of them ducking into another alley.

Do they not know this world? Are they sticking to the road that they know so they don't get lost in the maze like steets of the Sullust market place?

Or do they sense Gando's strength in the Force and feel if he does catch them, they will need to be together to beat him?

Gando doesn't question it too much. He just keeps running.

He is gaining on them.

Gando is so deep in the Force, he lets it guide his actions without him being conscience of it. He just lets the Force flow through him. So when he reaches with the Force in front of him, and pulls an abandoned vendors booth from where it was sitting and into the path of the Sith he doesn't realize he did it until he sees it with his own eyes as it momentarily stops the Sith dead in their tracks.

He doesn't realize he's leaping with all his strength toward the Sith until he's in the air. He doesn't realize he's pulling his lightsaber until he's on the ground and he's in front of both Sith and his blue saber is ignited in his hands.

The Sith realize that there in no more point of running. They pull their sabers as well. 2 red single blades.

Now that Gando can get a clear look at the two, he does. He doesn't recognize either of them. They both are in similar dark robes and still have their hoods pulled over their heads. One is a good deal taller then the other. He can feel the Dark Side is strong in both of them.

All this Gando takes in in a split second. There are no words between him and the Sith. Their intentions are clear.

Gando thinks that it would be unexpected if he goes on the offensive first. So that's what he does.

He attacks, quickly and skillfully swinging his saber from one target to the other, as he manuvers them to where he can more easily deal with the two of them when they do go on the attack.

At least the Sullustians aren't stupid. They are quick to get out of the way, and the few that want to stay and watch the excitement do it from a safe distance away. At least Gando doesn't have to worry about innocent bystanders.

As Gando attacks them both in a barrage of quick and flawlessly executed moves he notices something about how the Sith are blocking and parrying his attacks.

He can not place what style they were using. Gando knows all the lightsaber styles that are used by the Jedi and the Sith in the Republic and they were not using a style he knows.

Gando doesn't think about it too much. He just keeps fighting.

His attacks are furious, suggesting an almost reckless abandon, but in reality he is calm. Focused. He patiently waits for the right moment. For an opening in their defense.

The Sith are suprised at the strength and skill of their attacker. They are not used to fighting someone as skilled as Gando. But that does not mean they are not capable of defeating him.

The Sith redouble their efforts, starting to go on the attack now. Gando can feel their anger. One of him had two of them on the defensive. That has more then wounded thier pride. Now they're lost in the dark side, using their anger to fuel their attacks.

Gando smiles. These two are good. But they

3. DarkMan77

DarkMan77 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 23, 2005
    Wonderful update obi! I loved the dark prayer, and the fact they know of Revan, very eerie! Awaiting more anxiously !

FanFic Greetings [face_peace]

4. Scoundrel1100

Scoundrel1100 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 28, 2004
    WHAT THE HELL?!!

That was AWESOME!!! Obi, I love wherever this is going! I can't wait to see what comes next! So, are you hinting that somewhere along the KotOR timeline, that Revan DID make contact with the actual Sith? That would be a great twist to the story. Of course, if these two were just "posers," that'd be an interesting twist too. I'm left with all these speculations, and the only conclusion I can come up with is I WANT THE NEXT CHAPTER!!!

Scoundrel

P.S. You made the chase seem "fast," as I'm sure you intended it. My compliments. Shows of speed through mere words alone is hard. Also, I loved all his little observations during the fight. The prayer rocked as well. Very reminiscent of Visas Marr... Some eerie $h!t. Good work as always, my Padawan!!

5. DarthReven

DarthReven Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2005
    nice! The part with the prayer was the best. I need the next chapter!

6. Xeks321

Xeks321 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2005
    Great battle sequence. Excellent update. I like where this is going and I can't wait to read more.

Xeks

7. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Wow! :eek: Intense! What a chilling ending and the eerie prayer- nice touch!!And the battle scene is so well paced- very hooking! I loved it! =D= A GREAT job!!! Mind you don't leave it at such a cliffie for too long! ;)

8. WyoJedi

WyoJedi Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 2005
    Wow, obi! The chase and fight scenes were great! And that dark prayer... Holy Crap! That was intense and was a really good plot device. I was totally unprepared for the final line. Quite taken aback by that.

Keep up the great work.

Cheers,
    Wyo

9. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Goodness obi - I never know what's going to happen next with your fic! That was fantastic, I loved the chase and the ending was great, really powerful.

You managed to leave me hanging on for more again!

=D=

Update soon.

10. obi_webb

Aug 4, 2005
    that last chapter was probably the one i had the hardest time writing, so it's especially nice to hear you all liked it! :D

Darkman77- there will be big things to come about the sith knowing of revan. answers will be coming EVENTUALLY! you might be suprised how it turns out!

Scoundrel1100- as i said above, you'll just have to wait and see about what exactly i'm hinting at with the sith knowing of revan! you'll be getting no answers from me! YET!
    always nice to see your comments master!:cool:

DarthReven- glad you liked the prayer! (as it seems you ALL did!) it was difficult for me to write, but in the end i was quite happy how it turned out!

Xeks321- thank you! :D i hope you continue to like where i take things!

Stella Ripple- thanks so much stella!:) i especially appreciate your comment about the battle scene being well paced. that is sometimes a difficult thing to do and i'm glad i seemed to accomplish it with that scene!

WyoJedi- thank you! i had hoped to suprise everyone with that ending!

Kestrel Kenobi- one [face_devil] cliffhanger after another with me lately huh?:p i always try to keep you on your toes! i'm really glad i keep you hanging on for more! :D

and the next update should be up in a much quicker time then it was getting the last one up! thanks everyone, for your continued support!

11. obi_webb

Aug 4, 2005
    The next hour Gando spent dealing with the Sullustian authorities. It was a tedious process of explaining what happened in the market place, and then having to go over every detail with them to assist in their investagation.

The process went a lot easier because Gando made sure to tell them he was a Jedi right away. Which was true, from Gando's point of view, even if it wasn't true of the Council's. But he knew the local Sullustian security force wouldn't dig too much into it, so they would never know of Gando's little half truth. They essentially, would see his lightsaber, notice that it was blue and not red, and not ask any more questions.

The Sullustian security force were seemingly always underpaid and undermanned, so it could be counted on that they would do little more then scratch the surface of this investagation. That was good, because Gando had some investagating of his own he wanted to do, and he didn't want them to get in his way.

So when the security force felt like they got a good description of the events, they didn't ask any questions
    when Gando said the Jedi Council wanted him to deal with the investagation personally. They just told him to keep them posted and not to cause any trouble.

Gando assured them he would do that. Another half truth. He knew for sure he wasn't going to keep them posted, but he certainly didn't plan on causing any trouble. Now, if in the course of his investagation, trouble came to him, well then that would be a different matter entirely.

The security force leaves and Gando is left with his questions.

The Sith knew Revan's name. That was alarming in itself because from the sound of the prayer that is still echoing in Gando's mind, they served under Revan.

"My life, and finally my death belong to my Dark Lord Revan.."

Did they idolize Revan, serving him long after he was gone? Or did they think that Revan was still alive and perhaps when he came back they would be at his side when he conquered the Republic?

And more disturbing then any of that, is the nagging feeling Gando gets that these Sith weren't from these parts of the Republic. Their fighting style.. He has fought seemingly thousunds of Sith in all corners of the Republic and he still didn't recognize their style...

A thought that has been in and out of his mind since he encountered those Sith comes to him again..

What if these Sith were from the Empire that Gando was trying to get to?

Part of him dismisses the thought as being ridiculous, but another part of him cannot dismiss the thought so easily.

But he will not find the answer with speculation. He heads back toward the alley where the Sith killed that young man earlier.

On his way there he hears the roar of the swoop bikes from the arena behind him. The race must have just started.

He certainly got more then he bargained for in this trip. He had hoped to buy an HK droid, and then perhaps be able to enjoy watching the swoop race before he left. Now, the HK droid purchase would have to wait, he certainly didn't have the time to enjoy the swoop race, and he was in the process of a murder investagation.

And to think that I had HOPED that Sullust would be a break in the monotony of my hyperspace journey, Gando
    muses to himself.

This was not the kind of break he had in mind.

--------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, Bastila and Jolee had arrived at Dantooine, hoping that Dorak had found some clue to the location of the True Sith Empire.

Bastila sits in the pilots chair, and she begins to bring the ship down in the docking bay. Jolee sat in the co-pilots
    chair for most of the trip, but his attention wasn't on his co-piloting duties too much on the trip. It was split between
    napping and rambling on about whatever crossed his mind to Bastila.

He could be the wisest person you'd ever meet, but he also enjoyed being difficult from time to time. In his own words, "I'm the old man around here, and I

12. DarkMan77

Mar 23, 2005
    Those sullustans are quite naive aren't they.
    Good work as usual obi =D=

13. Xeks321

Dec 22, 2005
    Nothing says "Jedi" like manipulating a few security guards into not looking into something. Laws? What laws? LOL. Good update. A lot of setting up and you nailed it. Keep it up.

Xeks

14. WyoJedi

WyoJedi Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 2005
    Nice set up. I can't wait to see where his investigation leads. I think Xeks hit it on the head with the manipulation comment. Nice job.

Cheers,
    Wyo

15. DarthReven

DarthReven Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2005
    good, i love the way you write Jolee

16. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Hey obi!

Quick update - and a good one. Particularly happy to see Bastila in there :)...

"It's about time!" Jolee complains, " And people say that OLD MEN fly too slow! Carth was a whiner, but at least he knew how to fly a ship!"

:D

Great story obi - love how it's moving along. Look forward to more.

17. Stella_Ripple

Jul 29, 2005
    God, those security forces are lax! But just as well, I suppose!
    Heh, I really liked Jolee here- cranky people are such fun to read about :D Its nice to see how close he and Bastilla (nice to see her too!!) is from their little interplay!

18. Scoundrel1100

Nov 28, 2004
    Obi,

I love what you're doing here. I love how after the fight, you describe Gando's having to deal with Sullustan Security as being tedious when he could be, wanted to be, and needed to be doing other things. Very well written, my padawan!

Also, I must say that I love the way you're writing Jolee. It seems you've successfully taken the exact Jolee Bindo we see and know in KotOR right out of the game and put him fittingly and still perfectly in character into your story. I love that! It's seamless! Very smooth transcription of old Jolee Bindo. Keep it coming! IT'S LIKE DRUGS, MAN!! I'M BEYOND ADDICTED, AND I NEED MY NEXT FIX!! heh... I don't really do drugs, but YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!! Love it!

Scoundrel

19. obi_webb

Aug 4, 2005
    thanks everyone for the comments! next part should be coming shortly! :cool:

DarkMan77- yeah, the sullustian security force isn't exactly the best security team in the world are they? i was inspired by the ineptitude of the Imperial army from the OT for them! i doubt these guys shoot any better then stormtroopers either!:p

Xeks321- thanks xeks! the set up stuff can be tricky sometime to keep interesting, so i'm glad you approve! and as you can tell, gando isn't shy about bending (or just plain BREAKING) a few laws if he finds it's for a greater good! you'll be finding out how far he's willing to go later, and i'll explain a bit more his philosophies and personal code too!

WyoJedi- his investagation will lead to some INTERESTING events! i hope you continue to enjoy!

DarthReven- thanks esteemed mandalore! there'll be plenty more of jolee (and a few others we haven't seen yet) to come!

Kestrel Kenobi- i figured i better get bastila back in the story soon or i'd hear about it!:p and i loved that line of jolee's too, so cool to see you point it out!:cool: thanks as always for you constant support my friend! [:D]

Stella Ripple- yep, the sullustian security force is quite the team! if your lightsaber is blue and not red you must be OK!;) glad you're having fun reading jolee! nice to see you pick up that the two are quite close. after the destruction of the star forge, and everything settled down for them, gando, jolee and her became quite good friends.
    thanks so much for you continuous support as well stella! now that you've read my reply to you, now you can click out of this and starting writing some more of your fics!:D

Scoundrel1100-[face_blush] you'll be getting your next fix soon!:p a lot of what i've learned from you is what will make this fic as good as i can possibly make it, so thank YOU!

20. Scoundrel1100

Nov 28, 2004
    Padawan,

I'm truly honored for the credit you've given me. but it's YOU who have thought up the entirety of your story and YOU who have made the writing choices you have. Also, still your story isn't done yet, which means you have to write the rest. ...and if your work thus far is any indication of your work to come, then the talent lies with you, my Padawan. Keep it up!

Master Sedan (a.k.a. Scoundrel)

21. obi_webb

Aug 4, 2005
    Gando Star came upon the body just as he left it a little over two and a half hours ago. It seemed much longer then that to him. Part of him is still suprised the body is still there.

The Sullustian Security Force will be there to pick up the body in a bit, but they're still questioning some of the people who witnessed Gando's fight in the market square. And since they
    were persuaded to let Gando handle this investagation himself they shouldn't bother him too much.

The poor kid, Gando thinks as he checks his pockets for some kind of ID. I will find out why you died today.

He notices the small hole that passes all the way all the way through his chest, the chest of Jerec Enda, Gando reads from the name on the ID on the body. The lightsaber went through Jerec's heart.

Jerec's ID says that he's 25 years old. It says he's from Talravin, which is Bastila's homeplanet.

Gando fights off the feeling he gets as he thinks of her, and keeps his mind on the present.

He suspects the ID is fake, but he wouldn't be able to tell for sure until he can get it scanned by one of the droids at the SSF HQ.

Part of him knows though. The ID is a fake. So if that's the case, the question is why? Is Jerec Enda a wanted criminal? Is he on the run from someone, or something? Perhaps the Sith that murdered him?

He knows the body that lies before him will give him no answers to those questions. But perhaps Jerec was not on this planet alone.

"Found anything interesting, Master Jedi?" Gando hears someone ask from behind him.

One of the local SSF members. He hadn't expected to see any of them around already. But it is just as well.

"Just an ID. I suspect it's fake." Gando answers, as he looks back at uniformed young man behind him.

"Your Jedi senses tell you that?" the young man asks without sarcasm.

"Just a hunch really." Gando replies as he gets up from his crouched posistion by the body to face him. "Are you going to be taking the body to your HQ now?"

"Yeah. Standard procedure. Will you be accompanying us?"

"Yes I think I will, Crayson."

The young man looks puzzled for a second, then asks, "Did your Jedi senses tell you what my name was?"

Gando gives a slight smile, "No, the name on the badge on your chest did."

Crayson blushes a bit and walks away.

-----------------------------------------------

Gando was right. The ID was fake. Therefore he didn't know what, if any of the information on the ID he could trust. But a Jerec and Mera Enda were booked in a local hotel close to the market area of town.

So that is where Gando is going now.

The SSF was more then happy to let Gando finish the investagation for them. They figure that Gando will notify what is presumably Jerec's family member Mera of his death, and then perhaps question her about the ID. Then they can decide what to do next.

Gando got the impression they were more worried about catching the swoop race when it's replayed later on the holovids. Their incompetence was astounding, but right now it makes things easier for Gando, so he doesn't complain.

In his hand is Jerec Enda's lightsaber that he found laying by his body. That only complicates matters. If Jerec was a Jedi he was certainly no Jedi that Gando knew.

So many questions. But now perhaps Gando would start to get some answers.

He walks up to the door that Jerec and Mera Enda were registered at. He knows that Mera Enda is still there. He can feel how worried and frantic she is. Her emotions are indeed strong, and it would only get worse when Gando tells her the news.

He's done this so many times during the wars he's been through he'd think he wouldn't get a knot in his stomach anymore.

He presses the comm switch on the door. "Mera Enda?" he says into the speaker."My name is Gando Star, I'm a Jedi from the Republic. I've come to talk to you about Jerec."

There is a seconds pause and then Mera opens the door without saying a word. Her mind is a w

22. DarkMan77

Mar 23, 2005
    Good update obi. I wonder if Mera will tell Gando where they come from.
    I sure wanna know! so give me more quickly!.....please!

23. Scoundrel1100

Nov 28, 2004
    Obi,

If your story is drugs to me, and this was my next fix, then Bastila's "moment" of feeling Gando through their bond just upped the dosage a couple THOUSAND CC's!! My anticipation of what comes out of Bastila's moment is only rivaled by my anticipation of what's going to happen to Mera when Gando's done speaking with her.

Now on a deeper note, I must say that I love the way you don't sugar coat the inevitable. I love the way you have Gando going to Mera's door, and when she opens it, she already knows what he's going to say. A lot of writers feel the need to walk their readers through every little step. Sometimes I feel I'm guilty of this myself. I love the way though, that through your words, you take us into the very minds of your characters without them even having to utter a word. That's the type of imagery that makes your work seem really alive. If it's positive things, then it's the icing on the cake. If it's the negative things, then it's that extra little adding of insult to injury. You glide through it like it always was, and I love that and sometimes envy your ability to do it so seemingly effortlessly. As always, good work, my Padawan.

Scoundrel

24. Xeks321

Dec 22, 2005
    Nothing more to say that I haven't already said. Excellent update. Nice transition and definitely not to boring. Straight to the point. Excellent. Keep it up.

Xeks

25. Stella_Ripple

Jul 29, 2005
    The young man looks puzzled for a second, then asks, "Did your Jedi senses tell you what my name was?"

Gando gives a slight smile, "No, the name on the badge on your chest did."

[face_laugh] Oh I do like how we're getting to see another side of Gando- a wittier one! He really does know what he's doing :D
    And Jolee is such a good friend [face_love] I love how gentle he is when trying to help bastilla!

She takes a deep breath collecting herself before she answers him. "I felt something with Gando through our bond. I can't explain it... I think something happened to him. Or is about to happen. Something big."

Jolee gives an odd sort of grunt. "Gotta love how blasted vague the Force can be sometimes don't ya kid?"
    That doesn't sound too good!!
    [face_worried]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.