main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A jokes a joke, but this has got to stop.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Sarg_Kulo, Oct 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarg_Kulo

Sarg_Kulo Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    I mean, i've seen one to many forceboat threads now. I didn't understand the joke when it was fresh, now it's stale it's really starting to bug me.

I'm sure I can't be the only one who gets fed up with all this spam, what's worse though is that it's moderater's who post it.

This forum is for the discussion of videogames, sure I don't mind a bit of fun. We have the gaming lounge for that and not so long ago we had a "hurt/heal" game which I liked.

Now I just visited the "EV's forcebarge parte" thread and I cannot honestly say I saw a single thing in that thread that was important, had anything to do with games, could not have been said anywhere else (i.e. the gaming lounge) or had any intellegence behind it at all i.e FORCEBOAT IS THE NUTS #@><()r5 (x1,000).

So I just make a request that this stops. A joke a joke but the line has been overstepped now. I didn't make this thread to argue, I made it so those responsible would recognise it as a problem an hopefully stop.

-SK-

Locked at Sarg_Kulo's request.

2. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Don't agree with all of that...but...

I've done this on many an occasion, so I've learned first hand that overusing the forceboat kills it. Most of the time when I did that though, there were people to yell at me for it. Now, they are gone, and there is no one to yell in their place.

We've got 2 forceboat threads in the first two pages. Not really necessary.

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    FORCEBOAT!

. . .forceboat?

. . .?

:(

4. Sarg_Kulo

May 18, 2004
    I know forceboats are annoying me the most at the moment, however there is also this silly "Note to self" stuff, I know they were locked but why create them in the first place.

If its a note to yourself then why do we need to hear it?

5. Aragorn327

Aug 20, 2001
    ...parody threads. They're amusing. Unserious, as it were.

6. DarthQuellonis

DarthQuellonis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2005
    This thread should be locked.

7. Sarg_Kulo

May 18, 2004
    But really, do we need them? You have one you have ten and there really not that important.

8. CommanderSesfan

CommanderSesfan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    Get a clue and get out of Games.

Seriously.

9. Lord-Draco

Lord-Draco Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Words spoken by a true Solider. I salute you Sarg_Kulo ;)

10. Aragorn327

Aug 20, 2001
    Rather than giving my standard "GTHOTB"-esque comment, I'll give you my stance on the matter.

Individual forums form their own communities. Games has its own, hence various social threads. We happen to be a social group of posters, which is why various threads for humor crop up. It leads to a group of posters that know each other, which can lead to better discussion, and promotes online game play in groups.

The threads should go into the JCC or some other forum where this kind of stuff is. I don't care if it is a mod or not.

If you're referring to EV's forcebarge thread with that last comment--it's not left open because it was posted by a mod. I could probably have posted it and it'd stay open...for awhile. Forceboat threads are an old inside joke of the forum. They come, and fade away. They're a part of the community.

But really, do we need them? You have one you have ten and there really not that important.

Why shouldn't they exist? In moderation, they're fine, and amusing. When overdone, they're eliminated.

This is how the forum works. When something goes too far, they'll lock down on it, but otherwise, we're more or less treated like mature posters and allowed to make our own decisions. It's worked.

Currently, these threads have been overdone, and should be cut back. But I disagree with your point that they don't belong here at all.

In any event, with the restructing of the forum FAQ/suchness, I'll point you to the Suggestion Box, where the mods would like suggestions/questions about their moderating policies raised.

11. Sarg_Kulo

May 18, 2004
    I never said they didn't belong here. I said they should be kept in existing threads such as the gaming lounge.

I'm all for the joke and the community of this forum, but I just feel that it has reached a stage where it needs to be cut back, and I am merely stating my oppinion and bringing this to the attention of those who may do something.

OK, I don't know what you mean by that comment, nor do I know who your addressing although I get the impression that it is rude and aimed at me. Liek I said in my first post I did not create this thread to argue.

12. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    One of the best things about this forum is that it's so... hem... relaxed, and i love that, but just because it's relaxed doesn't mean it has to be crap at the same time.

13. Lord-Draco

Lord-Draco Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Relaxed? TFN has the most strict forum policies/procedurces/ethics/rules/up-tight enviornment I have ever experienced on a internet message board.

14. Psycho_Sith

Psycho_Sith Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    I'll cast my vote for "I don't give a crap one way or the other."

We got our BFII topic back - everyone else can have their topics as well IMO.

15. DroidGeneral

DroidGeneral Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Yea, I don't understand half of the forum crap that is posted on these boards but oh well.

16. Aragorn327

Aug 20, 2001
    Relaxed? TFN has the most strict forum policies/procedurces/ethics/rules/up-tight enviornment I have ever experienced on a internet message board.

I think he meant Games when compared to the other TFN boards, rather than comparing TFN to other online forums.
    *shrug*

17. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Well, yes, you did. You posted a thread basically stating that you want the forum to run a certain way because you're not happy with the threads being made. I'd say that a majority of the forum members either don't care about them or understand that they're made in fun - therefore, they will argue with you.

Aragorn said it very well. The Games forum has always had a certain feel and a different sense of community than the other forums. I found that when I was helping to moderate in here. Really, those type of spammy threads don't get made that often and when they do, they're dealt with. They just contribute to the "community" of the forum and don't do any more harm than the endless supply of KOTOR threads that get made.

18. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I'm actually very happy with the policies of TFN. I've been on other boards where so much crap goes on its impossible to carry on an intelligent conversation. For the most part, the people who post here are mature and resoposible. I don't see what the problem is when the people in Games want to have fun is. If you don't like it here. You don't have to post here.

19. Darth_Simpson

Darth_Simpson Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    I think the problem is too much of the same joke. The original Forceboat was a fantastic thread with some of the highest quality spam ever witnessed by humanity. Now everyone's just copying Bib, instead of coming up with their own inside joke.

It just tarnishes the legacy.

At least that's how I feel about it.

*shrug*

20. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Well the older one on this page got bumped after being dead for 3 months. Hell I want to lock my own FB thread as it sucks. Actually I think I will.

But you did create this thread to argue. Listen to Aragorn and Katya for they said it all far more eloquently than I could ever hope to achieve.

21. Raja_Io

Raja_Io Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    We should be happy that all kinds of crap and spam are gathered on 2-3 threads, and are not posted all around the other. If you don't like Forceboat don't read it.

22. DarthQuellonis

DarthQuellonis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2005
    He is only stating an opinion, but this thread might become a place for arguing if the people aren't careful about what they say.

23. Raja_Io

Raja_Io Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    Yes yes let's start arguing! I bet in a quite short time everybody here will be bashing everyone and everything on this forum [face_laugh]=D=

Poor Sarg you see know what does it mean... And you only wanted to say that you are not fond of Forceboat ;)

24. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    If you don't get the joke, who cares? No is forcing you to read those threads or post in them. Ignore them and post in the threads you have interest in.

25. Psycho_Sith

Psycho_Sith Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    I say we all just go out in the street and throw rocks at eachother.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.