main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A jokes a joke, but this has got to stop.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Sarg_Kulo, Oct 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    I say we all just go out in the street and throw rocks at eachother.

Actually, if you issue the challenge, the opponent gets to pick weapons.

Pistols at dawn?

2. Psycho_Sith

Psycho_Sith Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    A duel it is then!

3. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    This is a video game board?

Classic that someone who joined a year or so ago thought FB was fresh. Really there are only two people who have posted in this thread that can say they remember when the FB was Cresant Fresh. [Free Blue to the one that gets that refference]

I don't see what the problem is. It's not like we are attacking people or anything. The jokes keep me posting and talking to my e-friends. I come here because my freinds are here. If you think this is bad, you should've seen this board 3 or so years ago. You probly wouldn't be posting. I will say, that was a fun time for me. Quit whining and lighten up, or at least ignore the threads. No one said you have to read the threads. I ignore most of the game related threads half the time. It's that simple.

4. Psycho_Sith

Aug 3, 2003
    I hear that.

5. Shackleton

Shackleton Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2004
    I don't see what the problem is. It's not like we are attacking people or anything.

Agreed. I personally have no qualms with forceboat threads/posts, as it's what makes this place unique compared to the many other video game message boards that dot the 'net. If you take away that uniqueness, then this place would be no different than any of the other ones, and I shudder to think of what that would be like. [face_worried]

6. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Guys, game are serious business. We should treat them as such.

/wanders into BF 2 thread and various others

Oh sweet Christ, what was that?

That wasn't even english! I think I need a ride on some sort of boat., perhaps made of force, to recover from my shock.

And thats why we have the force boat.

7. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I'll take that blue Pat. May need it one day when the Snak comes out.

8. Jedi_Nath

Jedi_Nath Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 30, 2005
    I still havent a clue what all "forceboate" is about? Please can someone summarise a brief history?

9. Psycho_Sith

Aug 3, 2003
    Ouch with the low blows!

10. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Sarg_Kulo posted on 10/24/05 12:43pm
    So I just make a request that this stops. A joke a joke but the line has been overstepped now. I didn't make this thread to argue, I made it so those responsible would recognise it as a problem an hopefully stop. [hr][/blockquote]

It's a good thing you're not a mod, or else people would be comparing you to the way Howlrunner used to run this place.
    ...It's also a good thing Connemara isn't here to complain that I'm misrepresenting the way Howlrunner used to run this place.

11. Jedi_Nath

Jedi_Nath Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 30, 2005
    So, how did HowlRunner run the place?

12. Psycho_Sith

Aug 3, 2003
    it's a good thing day all around then.

13. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Howlingly.

14. NightHunter319

NightHunter319 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2005
    I 2nd that.

15. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    He used to have a giant cape with the words "The Funk" written on it, and kept everyone in line by using giant killer gnats.

16. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    This is the kind of intelligent debate that makes the internet worthwhile.

17. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Wow, this is really entertaining to me. Can't people take a joke nowadays? Oh well.

I agree with what Aragorn, Katya, Sesfan, Pat, and SoloCommand say. :)

18. Sarg_Kulo

Sarg_Kulo Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    OK. I was carful about what I said. I didn't bait anyone or personally attack anyone. I didn't even make this thread so people would reply, I made it so the mods would relise that this is a problem.

Now for some reason you think I am against humour, I am not against humour, I stated this in my first postm go back and read it before you say tihngs.

Solo_Command, 1. We are not disscussing whether or not I sould be a mod, 2. I do not want to be a mod and 3. we are not disscussing how HowlRunner "ran the place".

Jade, come on, do you think I am arguement prone, I've matured so much sinse the last problem I had with you (if you can remember it), I just don't think it's really fair to come on and say that. I was stating my opinion, and hoping the mods would see it as a problem or lock this thead fast.

Anyway EV locked his thread and the gaming lounge is becoming active, I'm happy I hope you are, this thread would look better with a lock line through it.

Now I'm not saying I mind an occasional ForceBoat thread, I actually used to find them quite funny, even if I didn't know exactly what was going on :confused:

Anyway I'm off to the BF2 thread so peace y'all.

19. SoloCommand

Jun 15, 2001
    I'm going to boil this down just so you understand.

There are two sorts of people in the Games Forum who have to co-exist with each other.

1. People who have been here forever.
    2. People who want to play Battlefront 2.

The people who have been here forever are jaded and bitter people who feel that LucasArts current offerings are pitiful wastes of time, so they spend their time reminising and utilizing in-jokes to a quite horrific degree to keep the forum an interesting place for other people who have been here forever.

Pretty much all of the people who have been here forever dislike the people who want to play Battlefront 2, because the people who have been here forever of us think that Battlefront players are elitist, psudo intelectuals with an average age of 5.

The people who have been here forever wreap joy from the fact that it's all JUST a phase. There's an obscene amount of hype before a major LucasArts game release, which none of us want to get wound up in, because we're not really into hype. And then, about a month or two after the game is out, pretty much all of the people who were involved in the hype just go away.

The people who have been here forever, will probably be here forever, they're the only group of people who represent the overall community of games, and they're the only people who have any effect on the way this forum works. In general, most of them are pleasant, and if you show a level of sensibility, they'll even take the time to do a google search for you because you don't know a random bit of information about Shadows of the Empire or something.

The people who are just here for the hype will have little effect on the way the forum works in the long run, and based on what I've seen on most of the people in the Battlefront 2 threads in the last few months, It's probably best it stays that way. I'm not naming names, but there's been quite a sizable number of users in the Battlefront 2 thread who are harsh and abbrasive, most of them being terribly crass with other users, and generally bringing out the worst in most people. These are not people who I consider to be good examples of community.

20. Sarg_Kulo

May 18, 2004
    You accuse people who play BF2 of having a mental age of 5 but you throw that unintelligent generlisation at me?

Well like I said I'm not argueing, I refuse to lower myself to your standards. If you want to argue, go on Jerry Springer.

I only hope others see as I do and recognise your childish taunts don't come anywhere near me.

Good night.

21. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Don't take it personally dude. Regarding your opening post, I've said as much lately too, and I am one of those bitter oldbies.

You'll notice that the spam social threads reared their heads for about 24 hours, and things have again settled down. Such is the way of the Games Forum.

And now I leave you with the wise words of the Hues Corporation;
    So I'd like to know where you got the notion
    said I'd like to know where you got the notion

to rock the boat, don't rock the boat baby
    rock the boat, don't tip the boat over
    rock the boat, don't rock the boat baby
    rock the boat

Ever since our voyage of love began
    your touch has thrilled me like the rush of the wind
    and your arms have held me safe from a rolling sea
    there's always been a quiet place to harbor you and me

Our love is like a ship on the ocean
    we've been sailing with a cargo full of love and devotion

So I'd like to know where you got the notion
    said I'd like to know where you got the notion

To rock the boat, don't rock the boat baby
    rock the boat, don't tip the boat over
    rock the boat, don't rock the boat baby
    rock the boat

Up to now we sailed through every storm
    and I've always had your tender lips to keep me warm
    oh I need to have the strength that flows from you
    don't let me drift away my dear when love can see me through

QED.

22. wesjanson1138

wesjanson1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2001
    There are several reasons why the spammy in-joke humor/social threads should stay, some of them even philanthropic.

1)They can be hilarious. Some of the spam threads have the most incredibly humorous dialogue I've ever seen online. Examples of these can be found in the index.

2)They provide secondary sources where new users can get a handle on certain in-jokes, providing for a smaller amount of stupid questions and KOTOR threads, and a larger amount of reason number 1. Granted, this reason only works if new users take the initiative and effort to actually lurk for a bit before making their groundbreaking "omg i liek this new gaem do yuo?" post.

3)They provoke the elitist/immature/easily offended users by their very existence, this brand of users feeling that it is their responsibility as an intellectual superior to correct the "kids" in this forum. Social threads are the "Thor's Hammer" of the games forum.

4)They don't cause any harm whatsoever. If you don't like a thread, don't read/post in it. It's a very simple concept, really.

5)As has been said before, they keep the true Games community coming back to keep posting; users who have been posting almost since the board's inception. These users know things, and can be a terrific gaming resource. Don't be a moron and bait them by whining and complaining. Try to understand first.

23. Sarg_Kulo

May 18, 2004
    Look, I'm getting tired of saying this.

I do not mid humour. It's when they are ten or so threads on a page it starts to annoy and the smell of sour milk is present.
    If yoou read tis thread you will see I do not mind humour, check my last post.

[face_beatup]

Can this thread please be locked now, it has been resolved and now people are just trying to cause arguments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.