main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends A Journal of Improbable Things (Idri's Drabbles) -- Week Eight Up Dec. 28; Tatooine Cantina

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Idrelle_Miocovani, Sep 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Title: A Journal of Improbable Things
    Author: Idrelle_Miocovani
    Timeframe: Pending...
    Genre: Pending...
    Characters: Pending...
    Summary: Drabbles on a theme and variation.
    Notes: I've only written two drabbles prior to this, so this is a bit of an experiment on my part. Anyways, this is for the Second Ultimate Drabble Challenge. I named it "A Journal of Improbable Things" because most of these are (probably) going to be AU, time travel and crossovers. :p 8-}

[b][u]Index[/u][/b]

[b]Week One (09.24.07)[/b] ? The Sword of the Jedi (pg 1)
    [i]Smooth
    Rough
    Dry
    Wrinkled
    Weathered[/i]

[b]Week Two (10.01.07)[/b] -- The Solo Family (pg 1)
    [i]Jedi
    Sith
    Soldier
    Civilian
    Politician[/i]

[b]Week 3 (10.08.07)[/b] -- Ofaela, Part I (pg 1)
    [i]Mother
    Father
    Sister
    Brother
    Friend[/i]

[b]Week Four (10.15.07)[/b] ?- The Adventures of Jack Sparrow Among the Ships He Knows Not (pg 1)
    [i]Shuttle
    Fighter
    Freighter
    Capital Ship
    Space Station[/i]

[b]Week Five (10.22.07)[/b] ? End Game (pg 1)
    [i]Burn
    Rash
    Surgery
    Hurt
    Heal[/i]

[b]Week Six (10.29.07)[/b] ? Clothing Conference (pg 1)
    [i]Shirt
    Pants
    Dress
    Uniform
    Cloak[/i]

[b]Week Seven (11.05.07)[/b] ? Anakin and Tahiri (pg 2)
    [i]Mouth
    Ears
    Eyes
    Nose
    Hands[/i]

[b]Week Eight (11.12.07)[/b] ? Cantina I (pg 2)
    [i]Sullustan
    Bothan
    Human
    Mon Calamari
    Wookiee[/i]

2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    WEEK ONE
    The Sword of the Jedi

[b]Smooth[/b]

The hilt of her lightsaber flies into her hand, summoned from the floor by his feet where it had landed only moments before. It?s cold to the touch. The smooth, familiar metal helps calm her rapid heartbeat.

She stands still for a moment, looking at the man she now knows as Darth Caedus, staring deep into his dark, unfamiliar eyes. Then? they?re moving. Rapidly. Gracefully. They are partners in a deadly dance that will only end when one becomes prey to the other?s lightsaber.

Their movements flow like twin rivers ? but rivers that carry the stench of death and blood.

[b]Rough[/b]

The landscape is rugged ? miles and miles of rocky hills with sharp, plunging cliffs. The paths are bare and uneven. More often than not, someone falls while climbing into these hills.

A fall could cost someone their life.

Sparks fly around them, accompanied by the familiar crashing sounds of two lightsabers colliding again and again. Harmonized with the humming of the lightsabers is the sound of their harsh, heavy breathing.

Suddenly, she feels his fist hit her sharply. The world becomes a realm of dizziness. She spits out blood, choking on both its metallic taste and smell.

She has fallen.

[b]Dry[/b]

Her mouth and throat burn with parched, dry rawness. She can feel exhaustion pulling at her muscles as she struggles to stand. Sweat trickles down her back, partially because of the heat, partially because of her fatigue. She can see him bearing down on her, lightsaber pointed at her throat.

She has no fear. Like the water of this rugged wasteland, her fear has become arid, leaving nothing but a scorching anger for what he has become.

?It ends now, sister.?

She swallows hard and glares back.

?You aren?t the brother you were to me.?

The world dissolves in whiteness.

[b]Wrinkled[/b]

She stares at her trembling hands, unable to keep her eyes off of the dark, wrinkled material of her black gloves. Seeped into every crease, every fold, every [i]wrinkle[/i] of leather is the dark red liquid that is her brother?s lifeblood.

No? not [i]her[/i] brother. She could never kill Jacen, never kill her twin ? not in such a terrible way.

But her hands are covered with the marks of her terrible deed.

She gasps wildly as she sinks down beside her brother?s body. She rocks back and forth. Her eyes never leave the sight of the wrinkled, blood-soaked gloves.

[b]Weathered[/b]

She stares at her own reflection, uncertain of the woman she sees in the mirror. The haunted eyes, the dark, weathered skin, the face marked with the scars of battle. Many people ? friends, family, colleagues ? have told her that she needs a rest. She needs peace and tranquility.

But she cannot have that pleasure. She never will. She is the Sword of the Jedi, and her responsibility is to move on without glancing at the past. Her body may reflect the past with its scars and worn looks, but her mind will continue to move forwards.

It is her duty.

3. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    I really like how you expand on that Sword of the Jedi thing, on how she would never find peace.. The death of Jacen is a good way to illustrate that.

4. thesporkbewithyou

thesporkbewithyou Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2005
    These were so poignant and lovely! I felt so bad for Jaina here.

But the one line that I really loved was this one: Their movements flow like twin rivers ? but rivers that carry the stench of death and blood.

Would you mind if I borrowed it for my sig?

5. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Sil -- thanks! When I got the idea, I kind of ran with it, so I'm glad that it seems to have turned out all right! Thanks for reading! [:D]

thesporkbewithyou -- Thank you so much!

But the one line that I really loved was this one: Their movements flow like twin rivers ? but rivers that carry the stench of death and blood.

Would you mind if I borrowed it for my sig?

I would be honored. :) Go right ahead. And thanks for reading!

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Fantastic! =D=

Wrinkled

She stares at her trembling hands, unable to keep her eyes off of the dark, wrinkled material of her black gloves. Seeped into every crease, every fold, every wrinkle of leather is the dark red liquid that is her brother?s lifeblood.

No? not her brother. She could never kill Jacen, never kill her twin ? not in such a terrible way.

But her hands are covered with the marks of her terrible deed.

She gasps wildly as she sinks down beside her brother?s body. She rocks back and forth. Her eyes never leave the sight of the wrinkled, blood-soaked gloves.

7. MarasFire

MarasFire Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2007
    This was wonderful, Idri! You are such a talented writer.

She has no fear. Like the water of this rugged wasteland, her fear has become arid, leaving nothing but a scorching anger for what he has become.

?It ends now, sister.?

She swallows hard and glares back.

?You aren?t the brother you were to me.?

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a scene similar to this in the future in canon. The Sword of the Jedi against Darth Caedus.

There's not a sentence I don't like in this.

8. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    *leaves to go get tissues*
    :_|
    Those are great drabbles, Idri. So powerful and sad...
    Problem is, I can see this happening in canon.

9. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Awesome drabbles!! You did a good job of showing Jaina's emotions.

I'll remember to keep an eye out for these :D

10. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    Beautiful, Idri! Absolutely beautiful! You write drabbles extremely well. Job well done - er, written!

- Serena Kenobi

11. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Great job playing on the prophecy that canon seems to have forgotten about. Well done.

12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Great job, Idrelle!!=D=
    You write Jania so wonderfully!

I really loved dry! It pulled at my heart!! *sniff, sniff*

13. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    VaderLVR64: Thanks! :)

MarasFire: This was wonderful, Idri! You are such a talented writer.

Awww! Thank you! [:D]

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a scene similar to this in the future in canon. The Sword of the Jedi against Darth Caedus.

Yes, that's where I'm guessing canon is going. Either that or a battle between Caedus and Ben.

It's kind of ironic that these drabbles are being advertized in the first post as mostly AU, crossover and time tavels, but the first one doesn't fall into any of the categories. :p More speculation than anything else. :p

SithGirl132: *hands her some tissues*

Sorry for making you cry! [:D]

Thanks so much for reading! :)

Nat: Thanks! [:D]

JediXmanSerenaKenobi: Thanks for reading! Glad that you liked them! :D

BigFatty: Thanks! :)

Yes, canon seems to have forgotten about it, haven't they? :p

mavjade: Great job, Idrelle!! applause
    You write Jania so wonderfully!

Thanks! Jaina's one of my favourite characters, so I'm glad that I seem to be writing her well! :D

I really loved dry! It pulled at my heart!! *sniff, sniff*

Yes, Dry is one of my favourites to. Thanks for reading! [:D]

14. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Really nice. Wrinkled is especially powerful. :D Poor Jaina. She probably will wind up in a situation like this. Well, if anyone at Del Rey remembers the whole Sword of the Jedi thing for more than a paragraph, anyway. :p

15. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Gabri -- Thanks! Glad you liked them. And we can always cross our fingers and hope that DelRey remembers the Sword of the Jedi thing. :p

Well, I finally got Week Two's drabbles done. I like my idea, but I had a hard time writing the drabbles. They didn't quite turn out the way I wanted them to, but that's okay. 8-}

[b]WEEK TWO
    The Solo Family[/b]

[hr]

[b]Jedi[/b]

Anakin closes his eyes and breathes in deeply, feeling the Force around him. Its power emanates from everything around him ? from the thick jungle vegetation to the birds wheeling overhead to the small, slender girl standing in front of him, lightsaber in hand.

?What are you waiting for, Dummy?? Tahiri asks playfully, grinning at him as she brushes a lock of blonde hair behind an ear. ?Did you want to practice or not??

Anakin shakes himself awake and opens his eyes. ?Nothing,? he replies quickly, returning her grin.

?Good.?

The first clash of their lightsabers echoes playfully through the glade.

[b]Sith[/b]

Power.

Unlimited power.

That was what he could sense. He had learned much since the time when Lumiya had first revealed herself to him ? he was now at least as powerful as his grandfather had been. Perhaps even more.

His lips curl upwards in a smile. He is much more intelligent than his deceased grandfather ? yes, Darth Vader had been powerful, but even [i]he[/i] had weaknesses that could not be overcome. [i]He[/i] had returned to the light side.

Jacen was [i]far[/i] too gifted for that. He had proven himself. And now he was worthy of his new name ? Darth Caedus.

[b]Solider[/b]

Jaina bites her lower lip as her X-Wing dodges a bolt of plasma. The explosion behind her sets her ship rocking, but she has escaped unharmed. Turning the ship around, she flies directly into battle with the Yuuzhan Vong coral skippers, her heart beating rapidly, yet she is perfectly at ease.

It had always been like this. Perhaps it is because she has come to terms with her purpose. While others may act as journalists and healers and question their purpose in life, she already [i]knows[/i] what hers is.

She is required to kill ? for the defence of this Galaxy.

[b]Civilian[/b]

Han yawns and stretches his arms behind his head as he puts his feet up on the table. He reaches lazily for his drink. Leia raises a questioning eyebrow, but says nothing. Han grins at her, winking ? with the war over, he is now just a civilian, able to enjoy the normal life that the rest of the Galaxy has.

Well? [i]almost[/i] normal life.

?Hey, is that who I think it is??

Having one of the most infamous faces has its drawbacks. Han glances across at Leia and they both rise at once. Their place is not the local pub.

[b]Politician[/b]

Leia stares blankly at the datapad on her desk, her eyes skimming over the thousands of words flashing across its screen. Politics, politics, politics? Though she has been known for the majority of her life as a diplomat, a politician, there comes a time when she can no longer stand the complete and utter [i]silliness[/i] of the people who help keep the Galaxy from sliding into chaos.

Most of the time, [i]they[/i] seem to be the ones who let the Galaxy slide into chaos.

?Finished, your Worshipfulness??

Leia looks up and is relieved to see her husband. She smiles back.

16. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Great job! I liked "Civilian" best, with the idea that Han can never really be a "civilian" again. Jaina's "Soldier" was wonderful, too.
    Nicely done!

=D=

17. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    I think H an deserves to be a civilian. me loves y our Solo family drabbles

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    "Jedi" and "Civilian" were my favorites. Anakin and Tahiri are so cute!! [face_love] And The bit about Han and Leia not even able to go to a pub without getting hounded was hilarious :D

Awesome job!! I think I like this set even better than the first :D

19. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    divapilot -- Thanks! Yeah, I like "Civilian", too. Needed a bit of fresh air after Jacen and Jaina's drabbles. :p

Sil -- Thanks! These were fun to write. I was thinking... now who could represent each of this words? Hmm -- oh yeah, the Solos. :p :D

Nat -- Thanks! I haven't written a lot of A/T yet, but I should, since they're a cute couple. [face_love] Glad that you liked "Civilian", too! :D

20. alhana_antilles

alhana_antilles Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2002
    Nicely done. You write the characters very well. I also really enjoyed the Civilian one. Like others have said it's a funny image seeing that Han can't really live a civilian life.

21. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    alhana_antilles: Thanks! Yes, I think I like Civilian the best. :D I should really write more "fun" or "happy" drabbles like that. :D

Sorry for being late with Week Three. This is concentrating on an OC -- see if you can guess the timeframe. :D Week Four should be up soon. :)

[b]WEEK THREE
    Ofaela, Part I[/b]

[hr]

[b]Mother[/b]

Her fingers never stray far from her mouth as she constant chews her nails. She?s worried. She sits beside her mother in the medcentre, eyes never leaving her mother?s pasty face. Ofaela desperately wants to comfort her, but she dares not disturb her mother?s rest.

?Can?t you do anything?? she asks a nurse.

?We have done all we can,? she replies, ?but I doubt even the Jedi Healers can cure her now. She is dying, child. It is a fact you must accept.?

Ofaela?s hands tremble and she tries not to break out in tears. She has to be strong.

[b]Father[/b]

?Can?t you do anything??

?No, honey, I can?t. There is nothing we can do now.?

?Daddy, I don?t want Momma to die!?

?Ofaela, I know? Trust me, I know. I don?t want her to die, either.?

?I don?t want her to go??

?Shh? shh, don?t cry. Think how happy Momma will be that she?s going to another place. A better place. One where there isn?t a war and there are no filthy invaders poisoning our Galaxy with their biotechnology.?

?But I can?t go with her!?

Sobbing, Ofaela collapses into her father?s protective embrace and he gently rocks her to sleep.

[b]Sister[/b]

Ofaela lies curled up in a chair beside her mother?s bed. In her hand is a small holo, one that she holds dear to her heart. It was one of her few keepsakes and the most precious of them all.

The holo depicts her family ? Daddy and Momma, with Ofaela inbetween. Momma is holding little Ella, whose sweet smile makes Ofaela?s tears fall even faster. Little Ella? not yet three when she died as they tried to escape their homeplanet from the invaders.

Her fingers tighten on the holo and the tears come faster. Her world is slowly falling apart.

[b]Brother[/b]

She closes her eyes as she whisks herself away to her dreamland where life is different. A place where there are no invaders, where they didn?t get chased out of their home. Momma isn?t sick and Ella is there, smiling.

Maybe they would have a little brother, too. A little brother for Ofaela to play with and Ella to laugh with. A little brother to hold and to care for. She can see them now? a smiling family of five. Her brother?s name would be Jeso? the perfect name for her perfect brother.

But it?s all in her fantasy world?

[b]Friend[/b]

The medcentre is too quiet. She doesn?t like quiet. She misses her old friends? friends who ran and played with her, friends who were not scared to run through fields of grass. Friends who giggled together, friends who laughed and cried together.

Here, on this new world, she doesn?t have any friends. There?s no one for her now, except Daddy. She needs a friend. She wants a friend. Momma won?t be here for much longer because the nurse says she?s dying and Daddy says she?s going to another place. A better place.

Ofaela just wants someone to hold on to.

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    :_| :_| That's so sad!! But it's cool to get a look at the Vong invasion from the POV of a regular person instead of a galactic hero.

Great job!!

23. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    yeah that is sad. and nice shot of the YV invasion. the poor girl. I can really sympathzie with brother since I always wanted siblings myself

24. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Nat: Yeah, sad. :( I'm going to do some more drabbles with Ofaela later on. It's kind of interesting to write the Yuuzhan Vong war from a different POV than our favourite Jedi.

Sil: Thanks! I've always wanted a brother myself. I have two older sisters and am tired of being the "baby", but I know that I'm definitely not getting any more siblings. ;)

I'm slowly getting drabbles back together... I was in need of some random humour, so here's week four -- a little late.

[hr]

[b]WEEK FOUR
    The Adventures of Captain Jack Sparrow Among the Ships He Knows Not[/b]

[hr]

[b]Shuttle[/b]

?This is a [i]dinghy[/i], not my vessel. My vessel is magnificent, and fierce and huge-ish and ??

?Sir, what dinghy may that be? This is an Imperial Shuttle. Can I see your authorization??

?What authorization might that be??

The young officer rolled his eyes. ?Too much to drink,? he muttered. ?I should forward a complaint. The authorization that proves that you are member of her Highness? entourage.?

?Entourage? As in? backup? Support? Followers?? Jack paused to consider his situation. He was somewhere unfamiliar. Perhaps this was a dream. But a dream wasn?t any good without rum?

?Would you excuse me??

[b]Fighter[/b]

Jack had decided that he probably had had too much rum to drink. He was certainly having a very strange dream. He was [i]flying[/i] through the air? or what he thought might be air. Regardless, he was stuck in some metal thing that was frankly scarier than being in Davy Jones? locker. At least there were pretty lights flashing by? pretty green and red lights?

?Rogue Five, do you copy? Do you copy??

?I copy.? Jack looked around for the source of the voice. ?This is your captain speaking... savvy??

There was silence followed by another display of pretty lights.

[b]Freighter[/b]

?Fair madam, where might I, your courteous captain, find the rum??

?What the kriff are you talking about??

?The rum, savvy??

?What about it??

?Where is it??

?What rum are you talking about? [i]Who[/i] stashed rum on my ship??

?A ship cannot be a ship without rum.?

?Watch it, flyboy, before I toss you out an airlock!?

?Airlock? What is this? airlock you speak of??

?You don?t know? I don?t believe this!?

?Look, it is very simple. I just ??

The woman raised a pistol threateningly. [i]?No one[/i] smuggles rum on my ship.?

?Ah, but you see, [i]I?m[/i] Captain??

[b]Capital Ship[/b]

If he hadn?t heard the words ?capital ship? from the various grey-uniformed people running about the place like chickens with their heads cut off, he wouldn?t have had any idea that he was on a ship. It was a mysterious thing? this [i]ship[/i]. It didn?t, as far as he could tell, have a keel and a hull and a deck and sails. No sails. Definitely no sails.

And no rum.

For all its grandeur, it might as well have [i]not[/i] been a ship. There were too many people on it and none of them an honest pirate.

It was distasteful.

[b]Space Station[/b]

?Prison Level 0444-18.?

The door magically slid open before he could even touch it and he stepped out, wandering down the hall. So far his search for a new ship had found him nothing like the Pearl, but he was becoming quite fond of this? bizarre new design of ship. It had interesting lifts that brought you up and down levels. It was rather fun.

There was one problem with these ships ? no rum, not even the slightest, tiniest sign of rum?

?Sir, I order you to show us your authorization.?

?Hmm??

?Authorization, please.?

?I?m Captain Jack Sparrow, savvy??

?What??

25. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Change of plans. I'm getting the other two sets of drabbles up as well. Now I'm caught up. :D

[b]WEEK FIVE
    End Game[/b]

[hr]

[b]Burn[/b]

They had burned just as he was burning now. Had dread filled their hearts as they went down in flames? Dread, for knowing who was killing them, who had ordered their execution?

He didn?t think so. They did not know who was responsible for betraying them. They had not realized that Darth Vader was Anakin Skywalker. They had died in the dark, without knowledge of the truth behind beast who had slaughtered them.

It was different for them. Jacen Solo was bringing them down, one by one ? and Kyp knew it as surely as he knew his StealthX was aflame.

[b]Rash[/b]

They were like a rash that could not be stopped. They had started small and then grew larger and larger, slowly invading and taking over. First Jacen had fallen, then Tahiri? then many of the Jedi of their generation. Luke had watched as his students fell to the Dark side, becoming minions who answered only to Darth Caedus? will. The power of the Sith was being restored.

There was little resistance now... Jaina, Zekk, Ben? Too few, too few. Perhaps they could bring the desperately needed cure to the infection before it spread any farther ? before it was too late.

[b]Surgery[/b]

More than once, she had cut out his heart. He didn?t think she knew how much pain she had caused him, as if he was a patient undergoing surgery while still being awake. Yet, she was his doctor. Whenever he was around her, he felt [i]whole[/i]? complete. He still loved her.

And Zekk had to put that behind him now. They were entering a battle they were very likely not to survive. But whatever happened to him, it could not ? would not ? compare to the infinitely painful surgery necessary to separate him from her. He could never leave her again.

[b]Hurt[/b]

They had hurt him in more ways imaginable ? those demons and devils whose faces he recognized, but whose souls were so eternally damned. His life had been nothing but torment, thanks to the havoc they had strewn across the Galaxy. They had slaughtered his mother, killed his friends, murdered his aunt and uncle, destroyed everything he had ever been able to call home.

Why did he go on living?

Revenge was not the way of the Jedi.

Out of respect for his father, Ben would carry on the traditions. He would not kill for revenge ? he would kill for justice.

[b]Heal[/b]

Time heals all wounds? or so they said. Jaina could not believe those words anymore. What the Galaxy had been forced to undergo, the pain its people had suffering? these, perhaps, would heal with time. But her wounds were too deep. She could never heal ? not properly. She was scarred, even though there were no lasting marks on her body.

Why was she still alive when everyone else was gone?

She had served her purpose. The nightmares had been defeated. But she was left her, utterly alone, to watch the Galaxy rebuild itself. There were no answers in this life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.