main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends A Journey of Discovery - Book 3: Prism (L/M, H/L, OC's) Completed! - Epilogue - 8/11/04

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi-2B, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Yes, this is a shameless space filler post so that the epilogue can be at the top of a page instead of the bottom. And yes, the epilogue is coming up momentarily (as quickly as I can insert mark-up codes for italics, etc). Patience, young Jedi...

2. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Here we go ... The End, at last. Many many thanks to everyone who posted replies to this saga. I loved reading all your comments. And many thanks to Gabri for betaing, even though she insists on deflecting my gratitude. ;)

And so, without further ado ...

[b]A Journey of Discovery

Epilogue[/b]

Mara Skywalker absently rubbed a finger over the faint scratches on the back of her wedding ring, scratches earned some years ago while scaling a rocky cliff in pursuit of a murder suspect. But her sharp gaze this afternoon was focused on the brood of children playing on the back lawn of her sprawling home. A Skywalker brood. Three boys, two girls. Mara allowed herself a small grin. Just as the yellow and blue flower petals ? now preserved in an airtight case on her bed stand ? had predicted all those years ago.

Domini, the oldest of the lot, barked a terse order to one of the younger children. Mara narrowed her eyes, but fought down the impulse to interfere. The children would work out their differences on their own, she knew from past experience. If Luke were here, he'd probably already be out in the yard, reciting his well-worn platitude about anger leading to the dark side. By the gods, she still loved the man, but on rare occasions he was simply too uptight when it came to Jedi dogma. Children were children. And children sometimes fought. Siblings especially were prone to spur-of-the-moment squabbling. And they made up just as quickly.

Shading her eyes, Mara peered across the lawn to discern what Evin, one of the twin boys, was up to. He was crouched close to the ground under a twisted biba tree, his back turned to Mara, and was furtively gesturing for his brother Eron to join him. Soon, his mirror image caught the bidding ? probably through the Force, Mara thought with a touch of pride ? and wandered over to investigate. Those two could be as mischievous as their father. Mara breathed a sigh of relief when Evin stood and held out his cupped hands, then laughed quietly as a small skitter-toad leapt from its short-lived capture and the two flaxen-haired boys gave chase, right through Luke's freshly planted plot of hawresh beans. Farmboy had reverted to his roots and had taken up gardening as a hobby, though it was a far cry from the moisture farming he'd labored at as a boy.

Mara's gaze shifted back to Domini, who was now playing the role of teacher to her younger sister Kadi. Soon, Deytan, only two years older than Kadi, ambled over to join the girls. It wasn't long before a loose branch began levitating ? by the direction of which child, Mara couldn't be certain. Domini was more than capable, but Deytan had developed remarkable skills at an early age. There had been some rather heated discussions in the past concerning at what age a young child should be allowed to practice the Force without adult supervision. Han had voted for never, when his and Leia's children had begun displaying their powers. But Luke and Mara had tentatively given their own offspring a great deal of leniency ? perhaps too much at times, Mara reflected. For all her declarations of Luke as a soft touch, she knew she had to take some of the blame. Or credit, as the case turned out.

Relaxing back into her conform lounger, Mara enjoyed the cool breeze wafting across her veranda. She sensed Luke's approach long before he appeared at the garden gate, Artoo-Detoo trundling faithfully behind him. All five children abandoned whatever they were doing to run and leap at Luke, nearly knocking him down in their exuberance. Prying Kadi, the youngest, from the stranglehold on his neck, Luke set her atop Artoo's curved top. The droid slowly rotated his dome in a complete circle, and Kadi squealed with delight.

"Luke, don't you dare let her fall," Mara called out.

"She won't fall," he returned dryly, waving a hand dismissively.

Of course she wouldn't. Not with Luke standing right there. But it never hurt to remind him not to be so overconfident. Or indulgent.

The children a

3. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    You finally finished! YEAH!!! *hands Jedi-2B flowers for finishing!* :D :D :D

When you said Epilogue, you really meant FAR IN THE FUTURE!! :eek: They are all GRANDPARENTS! :eek:

That was a very nice ending.... you even have Anakin alive!

Congratulations! When are you going to start your next story? ;)

4. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    The Epilogue was great. At first I thought it was Luke Mara and their children, but then the girl called Luke grandpa! I bet you did that on purpose.

I loved the kids names! Very cute. And Artoo as an amusement ride was great.

A great ending to a great story, 2B!

5. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    Oh, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! (Just one wasn't enough ;) ) This is the kind of epilogue that I love, all sappy and mushy. [face_love]

And you got me too with the grandparents bit! I was wondering why they hadn't named a child of theirs Ben! :p Then I was very confused for just a moment when I read "Ben and Raeyla" but then the "grandpa" made it all make sense. How sneaky of you to get one last surprise in on us! :p

Loved the part with Mara letting Deytan trim the bushes with her lightsaber...she's still feisty even in her old age. I love that Luke and Mara are still so affectionate and yet still tease each other, too.

They'd faced many challenges and discovered many truths on their life's journey together ? most were welcomed, some were not. All had been met with courage, and love, and tenacity. For them, the realism of life had woven a tapestry with the mysticism of the Force.

And again, you tie it back into the title of the series...nicely done! What a beautiful summation of their life together. I can only imagine some of the adventures they must have had...unless you decide to share a few of them with us, that is. ;) (No pressure! :D )

Fin

Boy, I'll bet that felt good. Now, tell your hubby to go take you out to dinner and then treat you to a massage or something ;) when you get back home. You deserve it!!

=D= =D= =D= =D= =D= =D= =D= =D= =D= =D=

6. JainaSolo-16

JainaSolo-16 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 1, 2003
    Hello,

I don't think that I have replied to this thread before, so sorry about that. Anyway I just wanted to say that I have absolutely LOVED this entire series.

It was a wonderful new idea of how Luke and Mara met. You did a teriffic job and are a lovely writer.

Thank you for a wonderful story. I will be sure to watch out for any thing else you write.

~JainaSolo-16~

7. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Sneaky with the grandparents part. ;) Loved it anyway. The petals were right. You must feel great to have finished. I agree with Kayladie - go out to dinner and get a massage.

I'll be waiting for the next story - whenever that is.

8. Miska

Miska Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    Luke and Mara as grandparents of a whole brood- too cute!! That was such an adorable post, and a perfectly fitting end to a fabulous story...the only bad thing about it is that it *is* the end!

9. Malz4JESUS

Malz4JESUS Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 12, 2002
    [face_love]

:D

:cool:

I loved the end...very cool :D

It's....over....

:_|

I can't believe how well you write! I know you've heard this before, but you really should be one of the profic writers! :D :cool:

God bless!

-Malz

10. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    GreatOne: When you said Epilogue, you really meant FAR IN THE FUTURE!! They are all GRANDPARENTS!

I was hoping that would be a nice surprise. If I'd put it as their own children being small, then everyone would want to know how they grew up. I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone, and try to cover as many questions as people might have.

That was a very nice ending.... you even have Anakin alive!

The way I figured, Luke having a wife early would've changed the chain of events in his life, and possibly in the galaxy. As to the Vong, since this was an AU story, I could always pretend they never appeared. ;)

Congratulations! When are you going to start your next story?

Hey, I can't shoot these stories out -- bang, bang, bang -- like some people I know. :p Thanks!

StarFighter5: At first I thought it was Luke Mara and their children, but then the girl called Luke grandpa! I bet you did that on purpose.

Absolutely I did it on purpose. :D

And Artoo as an amusement ride was great.

[face_laugh] I didn't think of that description for him, but you're right! Thanks! Love your sig about chocolate, btw. That could be my motto too. ;)

kayladie97: Thanks, thanks, thanks!! [:D]

This is the kind of epilogue that I love, all sappy and mushy.

It just proves that the only kind of fics I know how to write are happily-ever-after ones. I had to keep the streak going. :)

And you got me too with the grandparents bit!

I was hoping that everyone would be misled there. I figured you all would be expecting/hoping to see their children, and didn't think it would be too hard to throw everyone off.

Loved the part with Mara letting Deytan trim the bushes with her lightsaber...she's still feisty even in her old age. I love that Luke and Mara are still so affectionate and yet still tease each other, too.

Yep, I can see Mara being one feisty grandma. And I'm sure L&M would remain affectionate till their dying day. I only hope the pro books let them grow old together like this.

And again, you tie it back into the title of the series...nicely done!

That was a last minute add. I didn't want to repeat Pendulum/Pledge/Prism anymore, and didn't want the exact wording 'journey of discovery,' either.

I can only imagine some of the adventures they must have had...unless you decide to share a few of them with us, that is. (No pressure! )

Just keep imagining, girl. :p

Now, tell your hubby to go take you out to dinner and then treat you to a massage or something when you get back home.

Hmmm, that would work if he even knew I'd finished this. He doesn't like to hear about 'those SW stories I write.' I'm not about to bring the subject up. :(

JainaSolo-16: Welcome! It's always gratifying to have someone come out of lurkdom to post a reply!

Thank you for a wonderful story. I will be sure to watch out for any thing else you write.

Oh, thank you for all the compliments. :) Don't know when I'll be writing any new things. All my old things are in my bio.

RebelMom: Sneaky with the grandparents part.

Yay, it worked!

You must feel great to have finished. I agree with Kayladie - go out to dinner and get a massage.

It does feel great. Like a great weight has been lifted. Thanks!

Miska: Luke and Mara as grandparents of a whole brood- too cute!!

Who wouldn't want grandparents like those two? [face_laugh] Thanks for all your comments throughout all 3 books!

Malz4JESUS Thanks so much!

I know you've heard this before, but you really should be one of the profic writers!

I'm sure you've noticed that the profic books are never filled with mushy romance and everyday life scenes like I tend to write. So I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for a call from DelRey. :oops:

11. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    Love your sig about chocolate, btw. That could be my motto too.

Thank you! :D

12. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    claps

nicely done

hrmmmm I guess they won't be getting anymore grandchildren then. . ;)

:)

13. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    *sighs.* it's over. But it was wonderfull :) Got to go look for another Luke and Mara story now.

14. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    And many thanks to Gabri for betaing, even though she insists on deflecting my gratitude.

Stubborn as the author herself, aren't I? :D

Marvelous epilogue! :D I can hardly believe the trilogy is over. :( And yes, I know you're celebrating. Allow me a moment of melancholy. ;) :p

If Luke were here, he'd probably already be out in the yard, reciting his well-worn platitude about anger leading to the dark side. By the gods, she still loved the man, but on rare occasions he was simply too uptight when it came to Jedi dogma.

LOL! Mara's practicality remains intact, doesn't it? :p

There had been some rather heated discussions in the past concerning at what age a young child should be allowed to practice the Force without adult supervision. Han had voted for never, when his and Leia's children had begun displaying their powers.

One of my favorite lines. It's so very Han. :D

"Is that so?" Luke settled into his matching lounger next to hers. "Deytan told me that you allowed him to trim the falla bushes with your lightsaber this morning."

"He's eight," Mara said, shrugging nonchalantly.

[face_laugh] Plenty old enough to be chopping the shrubbery with a sword that takes limbs off like slicing through butter! Ah, the joys of growing up with Luke and Mara around. :D

"Then you're the one who should warn him," Luke said. "Your Jedi Master voice is much scarier than mine."

I tend to believe Luke here. I'll bet Mara's is a lot scarier. :p

Luke gave an exaggerated sigh as the little girl scrambled down. "Guess I'll just have to tickle Grandma, then."

Mara slapped his fingers away as he reached over toward her. "A person could lose fingers like that."

Luke looked down at his outstretched left hand, then pulled it back. "Right. You'd think after all these years I'd remember to use my other hand for teasing you."

If that isn't just how Luke and Mara would be at that age, I don't know what is. :D

Luke and Mara Skywalker cast an approving gaze over their brood, their legacy. Five grandchildren. And five children of their own. Three sons and two daughters.

Just like the flower petals had predicted.

*sighs* Well, it was a fun ride while it lasted. :p They're perfectly wonderful stories, Michele. Thanks for writing them, and congratulations on finishing them. ;) [:D]

15. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    maramijade: Thanks!

hrmmmm I guess they won't be getting anymore grandchildren then. .

The future is always in motion, as they say. ;) Despite Iain's declaration, he may still marry and have a family, and so may Jena. Or the others might have more children. The flower petals were only meant to predict how many children L&M would have themselves, not how many grandchildren. Mara is just reflecting at the beginning that it's a coincidence that she has that same number of grandchildren as the petals foretold.

jacen200015: *sighs.* it's over. But it was wonderfull Got to go look for another Luke and Mara story now.

Thanks. :D There's lots of good L&M stories out there. Happy hunting.

Gabri_Jade: [:D] And yes, I know you're celebrating. Allow me a moment of melancholy.

I'm feeling a bit of melancholy, too. For four years I've always had this little voice telling me I should be working on a chapter whenever I had a free moment. It seems strange to be free to just read other stories without feeling guilty.

Han had voted for never, when his and Leia's children had begun displaying their powers.

One of my favorite lines. It's so very Han.

I'm sure some readers would've liked to have seen Han and Leia in the epilogue, but it would've been too much to try and include everyone.

Plenty old enough to be chopping the shrubbery with a sword that takes limbs off like slicing through butter! Ah, the joys of growing up with Luke and Mara around.

Methinks these kids like staying at their grandparents' house! *gets image of one of those t-shirts that says 'If mom says No, ask grandma'*

I tend to believe Luke here. I'll bet Mara's is a lot scarier.

Yep. Not even old age could dampen Mara's 'scary' voice.

If that isn't just how Luke and Mara would be at that age, I don't know what is.

Yes! Now, will the pro books pleeeease let us see them like this eventually. [-o|

Thanks, Gabri, for everything. Especially for giving me the encouragement to get this saga finished!

16. Malz4JESUS

Malz4JESUS Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 12, 2002
    I'm sure you've noticed that the profic books are never filled with mushy romance and everyday life scenes like I tend to write. So I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for a call from DelRey.

Yeah, yeah, I know :p

You could always hope for a Valentine's Day short story.... :p

God bless!

-Malz

17. Jaded_Girl

Jaded_Girl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    Just when I thought it couldn't get any better, you give us the CUTEST little epilogue!

The characters were written excellently! ;)

The situations were crazy! 8-}

It's over! :_|

It had angst! [face_worried]

It had romance! [face_love]

It had bittersweet moments! :(

It was funny! [face_laugh]

It was great! :D

Three cheers to Jedi-2B! =D= =D= =D=

Thanks for sharing your wonderful story with us! [:D]

*gives a beautiful @};- to Jedi-B* :p

18. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Malz4JESUS: You could always hope for a Valentine's Day short story....

The L&M Valentine short story we got this year was okay, though still a far cry from anything a fanficcer could write. Zahn did his best, I guess. :D

Jaded_Girl: Just when I thought it couldn't get any better, you give us the CUTEST little epilogue!

Why, thank you! [face_blush] It just proves that I can't write angsty endings. I always think everyone should live happily ever after. :p

And thanks for the roses! :D

19. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Well done, Jedi-2B!

I am a chronic lurker but I've been following this series for ages on and off and I love your characters, the way you protray the interactions between 'all the gang'. Your ending was absolutely wonderful, so great to see them all together, Vong-free!

I don't know what I'm going to do now that 'the journey' is over! Have to find another epic Luke and Mara series to follow, I guess...

Anyway, I just wanted to say congrats on an awesome series of stories and keep up the great fics!

20. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Knight_Aragorn: I apologize profusely for the delay in replying to you. Busy days lately. Thanks so much for coming out of lurkdom to post! I really appreciate it, and I'm thrilled that you enjoyed the whole story, including the ending.

I don't know what I'm going to do now that 'the journey' is over! Have to find another epic Luke and Mara series to follow, I guess...

Oh, there're lots of those here. I hope you're following LadyPadme's epic, for one. And kayladie97's, and Darth_Lex's, and J_M_Bulldog's, etc, etc. :D

21. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    ::Bows in deference::

Jedi-2B, I just want to say how much of a pleasure it was to read this series. I am confident that I've told you before on several occasions how wonderful your writing is, and I feel no shame in saying it again. Your characters are always believable, your dialogue is sharp and witty, your descriptions are succinct, and your narrative voice is flawlessly consistent. But what separates you from being a good writer into being a great writer is your attention to continuity. It wasn't just a set of three different stories that I read here; no, it was a well-planned, well-executed trilogy, each part as essential as the others.

I could simply ooze compliments about this story for hours, but I don't have hours to do so, so I'll do my best to be as succinct as you are. Journey of Discovery is beautiful. Be proud of yourself--you've written a keeper. Thanks for making me smile.

22. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Wow, thanks, TheCrazyRodian! [face_blush] Compliments like that are what make all the hours I spent on this fic worthwhile. :D And as far as the continuity of the three books, that took alot of going back and rereading what I'd written before. It wasn't easy to remember what I had the characters do or say a year or two previously. Thanks again! [:D]

23. JediArwen

JediArwen Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 12, 2002
    Hi Michele! :) A little delayed, but here I am... Running and trying to catch up... :D

A wonderfull epilogue for a wonderful trilogy! =D=

A Skywalker brood. Three boys, two girls.
    Hehehe! Superstions or no, those nice Zembuhl's farmers got it right! ;) And I loved it! Although I think I am not a person who believes in things like that...

For a moment think that Mara was watching their children, but reading
    Luke chuckled softly. "Still, I wouldn't mention the episode to Ben and Raeyla. You know how nervous Raeyla gets. She thinks we're a bad influence." I begin to think not. You have gone too far in the future and you are talking about their grandchildren...

"Grandpa Han says I should call him Great-Uncle Han," Kadi pronounced sagely.
    Mara laughed. "I'm sure he emphasized the 'great' part."
    [face_laugh]
    I am so sorry for missing all those magnificent scenes in the years between, with H/M excanges... Perhaps there could be a vignete some day? ;)

"Hmmm ... All these years ..." Mara smiled contentedly, settling deeper into her lounger. Yes, after all these years, the man with the twinkling blue eyes could still bring a smirk to her lips, could still send a thrill through her, could still drive her to distraction. Mara glanced out the corner of her eye to see Luke making faces at their delighted grandchildren. Where had the years gone?
    Such a wonderful life just in four sentences... Great, my dear! Everything is here, the love, the desire, the friendship, the content! Excellent! =D=

Han's near-fatal heart attack the previous year had given them all a terrible scare, but Han had wisecracked later, in his typical fashion, that he was too ornery to die just yet. :eek:
    You gave Han a heart attack! Not that would be aable to stop Han! :D I can imagine them, H/L, afterwards... Leia trying to put some sense in her husband, while the Corellian arguing and saying that he is not invalid! And doing all the forbidden things behind his wife's back... Even trying to make Luke cover him... [face_thinking] Another idea for vignete? ;)

"You're not the only one," Mara groused. "I swear, if she calls me Mother Skywalker one more time ..."
    Serra likes living dangerously, right? :D

"She thinks we're half senile."
    "She does not."
    "She does," Mara insisted. "She's always wanting to help me do things. I'm perfectly capable of taking care of my own home." Mara crossed her arms defiantly. "I'm surprised she trusted us to babysit while they were gone."
    [face_laugh]
    That girl has a death wish! No doubt! Hadn't anyone tell her some stories of her mother in law's past?

"But your mother wants more grandchildren," Luke protested, sending a chuckle Mara's direction. "She hardly broke a sweat watching these five."
    Oh, I am sure Master Skywalker won't be satisfied until all five of his children are happily married with half a dozen kids each... ;)

Luke and Mara Skywalker cast an approving gaze over their brood, their legacy. Five grandchildren. And five children of their own. Three sons and two daughters.
    Just like the flower petals had predicted.

Perfect! Just perfect! =D=
    I want to thank you, dear friend for these magnificent stories you gave us. I enjoyed them, love them, laugh and cry with them. I can't wait for anything you might right, short or long! You are a great writer!

[:D] and :* and @};-

24. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Once again, welcome back from vacation, JediArwen!

Superstions or no, those nice Zembuhl's farmers got it right! And I loved it! Although I think I am not a person who believes in things like that...

I don't believe in superstitions, either. But the people of Zembuhl seemed like the type who would. And I couldn't pass up putting the outcome of that fortune-telling into the epilogue. I'm sure even M&L think it was just coincidence that they had 3 boys and 2 girls, but it was fun for them to think about it.

For a moment think that Mara was watching their children,...

I thought it would be funny to make readers believe those were Mara's own children at the beginning, and it sounds like most readers did think that. :D But then I had to throw in a few contradictory clues like the ones you mentioned.

I am so sorry for missing all those magnificent scenes in the years between, with H/M excanges... Perhaps there could be a vignete some day?

I'm not going to promise anything, in case I can't deliver, but I won't completely rule out little vignettes that cover some of the intervening years.

Such a wonderful life just in four sentences... Great, my dear! Everything is here, the love, the desire, the friendship, the content! Excellent!

Like I always say, I can only write happily-ever-after stories. Someday I'm going to have to try me hand at an angsty, sad fic.

You gave Han a heart attack! Not that would be aable to stop Han! I can imagine them, H/L, afterwards... Leia trying to put some sense in her husband, while the Corellian arguing and saying that he is not invalid! And doing all the forbidden things behind his wife's back... Even trying to make Luke cover him... Another idea for vignete?

Yes, that would be a good idea. Han is getting pretty old by now, so it would be realistic to think that he could have health problems of some sort.

That girl has a death wish! No doubt! Hadn't anyone tell her some stories of her mother in law's past?

I'm sure she's heard them, but whether she takes them seriously is another matter! [face_laugh]

Oh, I am sure Master Skywalker won't be satisfied until all five of his children are happily married with half a dozen kids each...

I can see Luke wanting to be surrounded by lots of children and grandchildren. It's a shame that the canon books let him have only one child. It would surprise me if M&L have any more children.

Thanks for all your comments, Lena! I'm so glad that you enjoyed the story.

25. Kazzy

Kazzy Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 17, 2002
    *Waves hand at Jedi-2B* I'm not late.

Right in the distant future. Way in the distant future! Lovely :) It's nice to see them have a happy ending. Live long and happy lives, none of this wasting ten years nonsense.

"Your Jedi Master voice is much scarier than mine." LOL! I imagine that. Even in this reality Mara's bound to be scary ;)

"Every time Serra looks at me, I get the feeling she thinks I should be in a museum somewhere." "And here ladies and gentlemen is our most popular exhibit, Luke Skywalker..."

Three wonderful stories! This has been an amazing series. Well done! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.