main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends A Kaleidoscope of Memories: UDC3 Drabbles - Completed - author's thanks

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by path-seeker, Sep 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. path-seeker

path-seeker Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2008
    Title: A Kaleidoscope of Memories
    Author: path-seeker
    Timeframe: TTT and beyond
    Characters: The Skywalkers and the Solos, perhaps others
    A/N: Written for UDC3! I?ve wanted to do the drabble challenge ever since I discovered the response threads for the last two. Enjoy! :)

[i][b]Week 1: The Skywalker Family[/b][/i]

[b]Happy [/b]

?Gotta be Hoth.?

?What about that planet in Chiss space? Csilla??

?This is an old edition, Skywalker. I doubt they had the Chiss in mind then.?

Luke and Mara were sitting on the floor playing Galactic Trivia, though almost every question had become a point of disagreement. This question about the coldest planet was no exception.

Mara flipped the card. ?Hoth,? she confirmed happily.

Tired of Galactic Trivia, Luke moved closer to his wife. ?Let?s play a different game,? he whispered suggestively.

Mara kissed him in response, then leaned back and laughed playfully. ?I hope you're better at this one.?

[b]Sad [/b]

?Dad, look at this.?

Ben handed Luke a holo, an image of the three Solo children with Ben cradled in Jaina?s arms. A quiet ache filled his heart.

?This was just a few days after you were born, Ben. It?s one of the only holos we have of the four of you ? they went to Myrkr not long after it was taken,? Luke murmured sadly, swallowing against the lump in his throat.

His thoughts turned to the days surrounding Anakin?s death and Jacen?s capture. He sometimes regretted sending them. Their mission had seemed necessary, but its consequences still haunted him.

[b]Curious [/b]

?This?? Ben asked, pointing to another knob on the [i]Shadow[/i]?s console.

?The shields,? Mara replied, smiling at her four-year-old?s curiosity. [i]He?ll make a good pilot someday.[/i]

?Hey kiddo.? Han entered the cockpit and ruffled Ben?s hair, glancing at Luke. ?Teaching him to fly already??

?Didn?t Jaina know the [i]Falcon[/i] inside and out by his age?? Luke asked jokingly.

Han grinned and sat beside Luke just as Ben reached for the laser canon?s trigger.

?[i]No![/i]? all three adults yelled simultaneously, even though the weapons systems were shut down and nothing would happen.

?He takes after you,? Han remarked to Mara, smirking.

[b]Angry [/b]

Mara walked briskly into the apartment, upset that her mission did not go as planned and feeling the need to vent. Deciding to change before checking on Ben, she headed for the bedroom, but stopped abruptly as she entered.

There, snoring quietly and oblivious to her presence, was Luke, and little Ben was lying on his chest, also asleep. Her anger faded as she leaned against the doorway and watched them, absorbing every detail. This was [i]her[/i] family, her whole world, the life she thought she would never have.

Suddenly the frustrations of the mission did not seem important anymore.

[b]Content[/b]

By the time Luke emerged from the refresher, Mara was already lying on the bed, her eyes closed. He could sense that she was still awake, so he moved to snuggle next to her.

?Don?t touch me, Skywalker,? she murmured, peering at him through narrowed eyes. ?It?s way too hot.? She shifted slightly, eyes closed again. Knowing she was irritated by the humidity and lack of cooling units, Luke contented himself just watching her, gazing at her peaceful expression and indescribable beauty.

Eventually Mara turned and smiled at him. ?It?s nothing personal,? she whispered softly, slipping her hand into his.

2. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Playing galactic trivia... liked that. The part about that holo being the only one of all four of them together just hit me like nothing else... loved it. Ben taking after Mara... awwwww.

Good drabbles. :) Liked 'em.

3. Tabby

Tabby Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2008
    Aw [face_love] I loved them all! Heh, the Galactic Trivia was funny. The second one was heart wrenching...they were all great. Nice work. :)

Tab

4. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Love them!! [face_love] You really captured the Skywalkers so well. I have to say my favorite, too, was Galactic Trivia--I can just see them debating every answer. LOL! Excellent job, and might I be added to your PM list, if you have one? :D

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Happy--sweetness. Made me laugh--yes, Luke is very good at the "second" game. [face_laugh] It reminded me of IJJ's wonderful "Little Questions."
    Curious tickled me. :D Angry and Content--yummy!!!! I'd love to be on your PM list too, seeker. Stoked to bits you're doing these!!!!!! Huggles!!!!!

6. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    Your doing drabbles!

I can die happy now :D I absolutely loved all of these, though the first about the trivia game and the one with Ben sleeping on Luke were my favorite [face_love]

Sign me up for a PM list, if you've got one [:D]

7. jacensolofangirl2007

jacensolofangirl2007 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 30, 2007
    that was so sweet! very nice little peeks into their life, I very much enjoyed this. =D=

8. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Good job, path-seeker! I liked the humor of happy, the melancholy of curious, and the wonderful image of sleeping baby Ben on Luke's chest in angry..

9. DarthBerryStraw

DarthBerryStraw Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2007
    Aww, Angry was heartwarming. [face_love] Awesome start! :)

10. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    I can easily see any of these scenes happening in canon. Excellent start! :)

11. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    Oh, I loved these! [face_love] I think "Curious" and "Angry" were my favorites. So sweet!

12. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    Angry

Mara walked briskly into the apartment, upset that her mission did not go as planned and feeling the need to vent. Deciding to change before checking on Ben, she headed for the bedroom, but stopped abruptly as she entered.

There, snoring quietly and oblivious to her presence, was Luke, and little Ben was lying on his chest, also asleep. Her anger faded as she leaned against the doorway and watched them, absorbing every detail. This was her family, her whole world, the life she thought she would never have.

Suddenly the frustrations of the mission did not seem important anymore.

[face_love] Awww, loved it!! So sweet! :* I think this would probably have to be my favorite, though they were all terrific!!
    I can't wait to see the next set!! [face_dancing]
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

13. path-seeker

May 1, 2008
    Author Replies

Thanks for reading everyone! Your feedback is much appreciated! [:D]

DaenaBenjen42: I think it?s tragic that Ben and Anakin?s lives overlapped so little, and I tried to bring that out in ?Sad?. I?m glad you enjoyed them!

Tabby: I?m glad you enjoyed them ? thanks for reading!

ginchy: Thank you! I?m glad you liked the Trivial Pursuit-inspired drabble. :) It was fun to write!

Jade_eyes: There does appear to be a trend Luke and Mara follow when playing games? ;) Thanks for reading!

Myriad_Daydreams: I?m so excited to be drabbling this time around! :D I think ?Angry? might be my favorite too. I'm glad you enjoyed them!

Jacensolofangirl2007: Thank you ? glad you liked them!

brodiew: Thanks brodiew! ?Angry? was centered on that image of Luke and Ben - I have an adorable picture of it in my mind. :)

DarthBerryStraw: Thanks so much for reading!

BigFatty: Thank you! I?m glad they?re believable!

amidalachick: Thanks for reading ? I?m happy you liked them.

dancing_star: Thank you! I really like ?Angry? too. :)

[b]PM list: [/b]
    [i]ginchy
    Myriad_Daydreams
    Jade_eyes[/i]

14. path-seeker

May 1, 2008
    Week 2: The Solo Family (post-LOTF)

Alderaan

?Nana, where is that??

Leia smiled at the voice of her granddaughter and turned to see the girl pointing at a large holo of a waterfall. ?That was on Alderaan, where I grew up. Do you like it??

Allana nodded, staring up at Leia with wide grey eyes. ?Can we go there??

The question caught Leia completely off-guard, and she felt her eyes fill. Her children and grandchildren would never know the true beauty of Alderaan, the details that holo images could never capture. She blinked back the tears and gathered Allana into her arms. ?I?m sorry, Sweetheart. We can?t.?

Yavin IV

?She?s so headstrong,? Jaina remarked, shaking her head as Allana disappeared ahead.

?And you never caused trouble at the academy, or for Mara once you became her apprentice?? Leia asked skeptically.

Jaina grimaced. ?Don?t remind me. I think Jacen and I knew Yavin IV better than anyone, and we certainly used it to our advantage. We could disappear for days.? She smiled wistfully at the memories. ?I?m glad Aunt Mara was patient with me. She was the best.?

Leia put an arm around her daughter?s shoulders. ?You?ll be the same for Allana, Jaina. That?s what masters ? and aunts ? are for.?

Bespin

Sometimes her father?s over-protectiveness drove Jaina crazy. Ever since Caedus was killed, Han clung to his family so tightly it was stifling. She often tried to remind him that she was over thirty years old and a Jedi knight, but to no avail.

Consequently, when Jaina was assigned a mission to Bespin, she decided not to tell him. He would protest vehemently, reminding her of what happened there during the rebellion: Threepio blasted to pieces, Uncle Luke?s hand severed, he himself frozen in carbonite. Jaina knew these things, but despite past events and her father?s misgivings, she was not afraid.

Hapes

Han rolled over in bed and half opened his eyes, but they widened when he realized Allana was curled up beside him, sleeping soundly. Noticing Leia was already up, he rose quietly and found her in their apartment?s living area.

?Did Allana have another nightmare??

Leia shook her head. ?She woke me in the middle of the night to ask if she can visit Hapes again. Han, how can I tell her she can never go back? She?s already lost so much.?

At a loss for answers, Han just sat beside his wife and pulled her into a long embrace.

Dagobah

Although they are gone, Leia?s sons are never far from her mind. One sleepless night, she recalls Anakin speaking of his experience on Dagobah where he finally defeated his fear of becoming like his grandfather, his namesake. Even Luke had received a warning in Dagobah?s cave, long years ago.

Leia wonders what Jacen would have seen there, if he would have glimpsed the monster he had become. His fall haunts her; there are too many questions still unanswered, but the memories are too painful to dwell on.

Overwhelmed by exhaustion and sorrow, Leia closes her eyes and tries to sleep.

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Lands, with each passing week, these get more and more like an actual kaleidoscope. So lovely and so moving. Alderaan and Dagobah are sad enough to break the heart. :( When I think of what all this's done to Luke and Leia, I ... [face_frustrated] Anyway, Bespin was great--it made me chuckle--but you left off the third thing Jaina is ;) wife of Jag. [face_laugh] Wriggle!!!! ;) I probably beat/crossed my PM :D :D [:D]

16. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Alderaan touched me. The hair rose on my arms when Amelia asked if she could visit Leia's home. Very well done, path-seeker. I hopeyou'll do more with Han, Leia, and Amelia.

Hapes also stood out. the image of Amelia curled up next to Han is really sweet.

Han, stifling and overprotective? Never. :p

17. DarthBerryStraw

DarthBerryStraw Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2007
    Alderaan was extremely bittersweet, and you can tell just how terribly Leia was changed after it was destroyed.

I'd never even thought of Jaina becoming Allana's master until I read Yavin IV, and I have to say I love it!

18. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Loved how you wrote them with Leia and her emotions in them

19. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Thanks for the PM! :D

I really loved this set. The Solo family has suffered so much, and yet they're still a family, strong and loving. Allana's innocent question in "Alderaan" broke my heart, but I have to say my favorite set was Leia and Jaina's interaction in "Yavin IV". Wonderful work here, and I cannot wait for next week!! =D=

20. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    Awww, I loved these. So poignant and sweet at the same time [face_love] Excellent job with this, I always find the Solos' a bit hard to spot on while writing-- you did a fabulous job! Can't wait for next week ;)

21. Tabby

Tabby Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2008
    Sad but touching, as I suppose a lot of post-LOTF would be. Very beautifully written with great emotion--good work! I look forward to next week's. :D

Tab

22. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    Wow, these were all so touching and beautifully done. =D=

23. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    Bespin

Sometimes her father?s over-protectiveness drove Jaina crazy. Ever since Caedus was killed, Han clung to his family so tightly it was stifling. She often tried to remind him that she was over thirty years old and a Jedi knight, but to no avail.

Consequently, when Jaina was assigned a mission to Bespin, she decided not to tell him. He would protest vehemently, reminding her of what happened there during the rebellion: Threepio blasted to pieces, Uncle Luke?s hand severed, he himself frozen in carbonite. Jaina knew these things, but despite past events and her father?s misgivings, she was not afraid.

I really loved Han's protectiveness in this, and his love for his family. [face_love] =D= Beautifully done!! @};- Could you pretty please add me to the pm list? [face_batting]
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

24. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Alderaan, Yavin, and Hapes really hit home... Allana's lost so much, and she's strong, and she's got the best family in the galaxy to turn to. That's what counts.

Well done. :)

25. path-seeker

May 1, 2008
    Jade_eyes: Your comments always make me smile. The Solo family sure has had a hard time of it, but they always pull through. And I didn't mention Jag... Bespin must take place before the wedding! :D

brodiew: I love Han because he's far from perfect, but he usually means well. Glad you enjoyed these!

DarthBerryStraw: Thanks for reading! As for Jaina training Allana, I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one! ;)

earlybird-obi-wan: Thanks for reading!

ginchy: Thank you! I had actually wanted Yavin IV to be a conversation between Jaina and Mara, but I like the way it turned out. :)

Myriad_Daydreams: I agree, the Solos are more challenging to write - they have such an interesting dynamic. I'm glad you enjoyed these!

Tabby: Thank you - I'm glad you liked them! :)

amidalachick: Thanks for stopping in!

dancing_star: Thank you! I'd be happy to send you PMs! ;)

DaenaBenjen42: I agree, and I think Allana will turn out alright. Thanks for reading! :)

[b]PM List:[/b]

[i]ginchy
    Myriad_Daydreams
    Jade_eyes
    dancing_star[/i]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.