main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends A Kaleidoscope of Memories: UDC3 Drabbles - Completed - author's thanks

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by path-seeker, Sep 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Aww loved them all and acceptance with Ben so sweet.@};-

2. DarthBerryStraw

DarthBerryStraw Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2007
    Denial made me giggle, since it's my mom's 50th birthday in a few days. She's not exactly happy about hitting that milestone. :p

Acceptance is very poignant. =D= I loved it.

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Acceptance

?I?m glad you get to be with Mom again,? Ben whispered as his father?s presence melded into the Force for the final time. He blinked back tears. ?You two deserve to be together more than anyone.?

His mind turned to his parents as they were in life: the love beneath his mother?s strong exterior, his father?s quiet devotion, the way thoughts and emotions flowed effortlessly between them. After all these years, perhaps that love would be made whole again in a world which he could only dream about.

Ben would always miss them, but he found comfort in their reunion.

This just about broke my heart. :_| Please PM me when you update these next. Thanks!

=D=

4. path-seeker

path-seeker Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2008
    Author Replies

Jade_eyes: Thanks for the feedback. Mission vs. Mara wouldn't be a hard choice for Luke. ;)

Myriad_Daydreams: Thank you [:D]

LASOS: Thank you so much for stopping in! I'm glad you enjoyed them - I'm having a blast writing them.

dancing_star: Thank you! I think Denial was my favorite from Week 11 too. :)

ginchy: Thanks! Han and Leia are an unlikely couple given their backgrounds, but they complement each other so well. My appreciation for them has grown a lot through the drabbles. Acceptance made me teary too, even though it was meant to be more bittersweet than sad.

earlybird-obi-wan: Thank you! I'm glad the sweet side of Acceptance came through.

DarthBerryStraw: I never understood why people didn't like reaching those milestones. I hope your mother wasn't as snappy as Mara! Thanks for reading. :)

VaderLVR64: It broke my heart to write it. I will certainly send you PMs.

[i]Thanks again for reading, everyone! I'm having trouble keeping up with these because of end-of-semester craziness, but the next set should be up soon.[/i]

5. path-seeker

May 1, 2008
    Week 12: Flying

Comet

?Daddy, can I fly??

Han turned in his seat and held out his arms to his daughter. ?You?re a bit young for that, but why don?t you sit here and help me??

Jaina settled herself on his lap and glanced wide-eyed at the starry sky filling the Falcon?s viewport. ?Where are we going??

?I don?t know, Sweetheart. Where would you like to go??

?Let?s go there!? She pointed to a bright solar body.

Han squinted, trying to see what is was, then chuckled at the comet Jaina was pointing to. ?That?s a little too far to reach in a day.?

Star

The Falcon was prepared to go to lightspeed, but nothing happened when Luke flipped the last switch. ?This ship has so many idiosyncrasies,? he muttered, frowning at the control board.

?You prefer your wife?s taste in starships?? Leia mused from the pilot?s seat.

Luke smiled, picturing the Jade Shadow, Mara?s modified star yacht. ?As far as function, yes, but the Shadow will never be able to match the Falcon?s reputation.?

?That would be hard to accomplish,? Leia agreed. ?This ship has flown into and out of two death stars. Mara would have to do some fancy flying to beat that.?

Planet

?Anakin, some backup here would be appreciated.?

?Sorry. I can?t be in two places at once, you know,? he replied dryly, sounding so much like Han. Mara glanced at her tactical display and saw Anakin?s X-wing moving in her direction. Just moments later, the coral skipper that had been tailing her was plummeting toward the surface of the planet.

She raised an eyebrow, impressed with his flying skills. As a Jedi, Anakin most resembled Luke in interests and personality. Put him in a starfighter, however, and his father?s traits took over ? that Solo confidence and a disregard for the odds.

Moon

Luke pulled the shuttle away from the Death Star and flew toward the forest moon of Endor, still reeling from everything that had happened. Although the pain from the Emperor?s Force lightening had slowly faded into a dull ache, Luke was so weary that he struggled to stay conscious.

To see his father for the first time ? not as Darth Vader, but as Anakin Skywalker ? seemed like a dream. If only it had lasted longer? He glanced at his father?s body, willing him to return in the Force as Yoda and Obi-Wan had. There were so many questions left unanswered.

Nebula

?Solo, what were you thinking?? Mara gritted her teeth and turned the Jade Sabre sharply to the left, barely avoiding a piece of space debris.

?Hey, you wanted to get into the system unnoticed. I don?t remember you specifying an easy, relaxing trip or anything.?

?You can bet I will next time,? Mara retorted. She glanced at the navcomputer, growing more disconcerted as she realized the large nebula they approached wasn?t on the charts. Luke had joked that this was a good way to connect with her new brother-in-law, but she was beginning to wonder if it was worth it.

6. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Nebula

?Solo, what were you thinking?? Mara gritted her teeth and turned the Jade Sabre sharply to the left, barely avoiding a piece of space debris.

?Hey, you wanted to get into the system unnoticed. I don?t remember you specifying an easy, relaxing trip or anything.?

?You can bet I will next time,? Mara retorted. She glanced at the navcomputer, growing more disconcerted as she realized the large nebula they approached wasn?t on the charts. Luke had joked that this was a good way to connect with her new brother-in-law, but she was beginning to wonder if it was worth it.

That was my favorite! =D=

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    These jumped around in timeframes and shifted POVs and the dialogues reflected various moods. [face_thinking] I loved it! It's like those assortment of chocolates with different fillings--the first bite: that's what this is! Followed immediately by: Yum!!! :D I loved Comet because of the Jaina/Han moment; Planet because it showed Anakin with Mara in a battle; Nebula because anytime Han's with Mara it's entertaining; Moon--bittersweetness; Star--fun reading Luke and Leia's opinions about the Shadow versus Falcon. The latter's definitely got a temperamental side [face_laugh] and a history ;)

@};-

=D=

[face_love]

The only sad thing about reaching week 12 is yikes, we're running out of drabbles!!!!! :( :eek:

8. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    Couldn't have put it better myself! :) Loved them all!
    Comet was such a nice scene between Han and Jaina, Star- I agree totally. The Falcon is awesome! :cool: I've never seen it as a hunk of junk. [face_laugh] Planet- loved that last part, ;) Moon- loved this missing scene with Luke in ROTJ [face_love]@};- , and Nebula was just perfect! [face_laugh]. Wonderful job!! [:D]
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

9. snowspeeder_gunner

snowspeeder_gunner Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Oh pathy-paths! These were great! One that really stands out to me is Glass- so sad, but amazing writing.

And from the latest update, I really liked this bit.

As a Jedi, Anakin most resembled Luke in interests and personality. Put him in a starfighter, however, and his father?s traits took over ? that Solo confidence and a disregard for the odds.

Interesting look at Anakin- I wish he could have stuck around longer. :(

Anyways, I would love to be on your PM list! Keep up the great work!

10. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Luke's right. The Shadow may be great, but the Falcon has all the panache. LOL I loved that one, especially. But the last one there--Han and Mara. I've always wanted a vig after Han and Mara are in-laws where they have an adventure together--but can't tell their spouses (but I don't mean in a naughty way. LOL!).

Great update. I loved them all!

11. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    These were great, path-seeker. I especially liked Planet and Moon.

I hadn't thought about how tired Luke would have been trying to drag Vader to the shuttle bay. That was a nice touch in Moon. I agree more time with Anakin would have been cool.

As for Planet, you touched on something I really love. Anakin Solo was the best of Skywalker and the best of Solo.

Great job!

12. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    I'm catching up... and I'd like PMs because I keep missing sets.

Week 4: the kids wanting to have creature races was adorable. The Wampa wiping out the other holoanimals and Jacen suddenly having a fit... liked that.

Week 5...

?Are you singing our children a drinking song??

It right here that I LOLed. ("Oh, what shall we do with a drunken sailor...")

Metal: Han teaching Jaina to dance for the wedding... awwwwww... And Han reminding Leia of how to dance was awesome.

Cloth: Hadn't thought about Leia teaching Luke to dance before. Good touch.

Glass: Wow...

Stone: Han helping Allana with dancing... cute!!!!

Week 10...

Cantina: Yes... what WOULD have happened if Han hadn't been at the cantina that day? Hmmm... it is to ponder...

Tapcafe: Han's expression as he greets her... liked that.

Diner: Love how she assumes he was drunk and the reason he wasn't.

Mess Hall: Awwwww....

Dining Room: It's a good thing Leia remembered...

Week 11...

Denial: Luke and Ben are so the men...

Sadness: Thank you for presenting us with Karrde's reaction to the subtext of their relationship having become something more.

Anger: Sometimes everything that can be done has been and it just doesn't do to dwell on the what ifs...

Guilt: Awesomesauce, right there.

Acceptance: Loved Ben's thoughts as Luke faded into the Force...

Week 12...

Comet: Was reminded of that scene in Hook where Peter returns and his daughter says this: "Fly me, Daddy! Fly me!"

Star: That, she would...

Planet: Wonderful moment with Mara and Anakin. :)

Moon: Luke feeling the weight of the world as grief settles down upon him...

Nebula: I think I LOLed again... Mara and Han connecting as family is just too precious. (And funny!)

Well done and I look forward to more. :)

13. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    How'd I miss these before? They're great!! I especially loved Star :D

If you've got a PM list, please add me to it! :)

14. path-seeker

May 1, 2008
    VaderLVR64: That's my favorite too - they're such a fun pair. Thanks for reading!

Jade_eyes: Thank you so much! "Drabbles are to chocolates..." Love that analogy. :D

dancing_star: Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed them! I've never seen the Falcon as a hunk of junk either. ;)

snowspeeder_gunner: I wish Anakin would have been around longer too, since he was such a fascinating character. I'd be happy to send you PMs. Thanks for stopping in and reading! [:D]

ginchy: Oh I love that idea! They're so much alike, and I can imagine the hilarity that would ensue when their 'better halves' aren't around LOL. I'm glad you enjoyed these!

brodiew: Thank you, brodiew. I appreciate your comments. :)

Daenabenjen42: Wow! Thank you so much for the feedback. I might need to watch Hook again, and this: "Oh, what shall we do with a drunken sailor..." made me LOL. Oh Han... he really means well! Thanks again, and I'll certainly send you PMs.

NYCitygurl:
    Thank you, I'm glad you liked them! I'll add you for PMs. :)

[b]PM List:[/b]
    [i]ginchy
    Myriad_Daydreams
    Jade_eyes
    dancing_star
    VaderLVR64
    snowspeeder_gunner
    Daenabenjen42
    NYCitygurl

If you'd like to be added or removed from the list, please let me know.[/i] :)

Thank you so much for your readership and feedback, everyone. [face_hugs] I have 9/10ths of the next sets written, and they'll be up by the end of the weekend. Hope you all have a wonderful New Year's celebration!

15. path-seeker

May 1, 2008
    Week 13: Luke Skywalker

Sunshine

?You alright, kid?? Han asked on his way to the Falcon?s cockpit.

Luke shrugged, his mind automatically turning to his aunt and uncle who had been alive and well just that morning. Now they were gone, and Luke was light years away from the only place he?d ever known. Of course he wasn?t alright, but he didn?t want to discuss it with the cocky smuggler.

He settled for mumbling, ?it?s so dark up here.?

Han nodded. ?Well, few places get as much sunshine as Tatooine does. You?ll get used to it.? He cuffed Luke on the shoulder and walked away.

Overcast

Luke would never forget the first time he saw Coruscant. They were traveling to the planet for the first time since its recapture, and although the sky was overcast and threatened rain, it was still an impressive sight. When the Falcon dropped beneath the clouds, Luke finally got his first clear view of the sprawling metropolis.

?What do you think?? Leia asked, gently squeezing his shoulder as he took in the skyscrapers, congested sky lanes, and bright lights.

?Wow,? Luke breathed. ?How in space do you know where you?re going??

Han laughed. ?Don?t worry, kid. You get used to it.?

Rain

The heavy downpour had given way to a gentle rain by the time the Jade?s Fire landed outside the Jedi Academy and Mara emerged.

?Skywalker,? she said, sounding exasperated, ?you know you don't have to meet me the minute I land the ship.?

?Hey, don?t blame me. I was already out here enjoying the peace and quiet when you arrived and blocked the wonderful view with your ship.? He motioned to the nearby wilderness.

Mara frowned, clearly unconvinced. ?It?s the middle of the night, and it?s raining. There is absolutely nothing to see.?

Luke smiled. ?That?s the beauty of it.?

Snow

Luke sat back to admire his work of art before turning to his son. ?What do you think??

?Good!? Ben grinned at their snow-droid, an impressive imitation of R2-D2 which stood just centimeters higher than the boy.

Luke smiled back, standing to brush the snow off his coat. ?We?d better go, buddy. Momma will be here soon, and she wants to fly out today.?

?Okay,? Ben said, lifting his arms. Luke picked him up and headed toward the Shadow.

He left knowing they wouldn?t see their creation again, but Ben?s delight at the simple activity made it worth the effort.

Wind

?Did you hear that??

?It was just the wind,? Ben yelled against the fierce gusts. ?Dad, you should get inside before you freeze.?

Luke ignored him and stood listening to the howling gale, certain his name had come from the windstorm. His thoughts immediately turned to his wife, and he wondered if she was watching from an unknown place, trying to communicate with him in a subtle way.

?Mara?? he murmured, craning his neck to peer into the darkness again. After several minutes there was still no answer, and Luke finally admitted defeat. Perhaps it had only been the wind.

[b][i] Week 14: Mara and Jaina [/i][/b]

[b]Allies[/b]

[i]?Stang!?[/i]

Jaina winced as a proton torpedo she hadn?t seen collided into her ship, causing the simulation she?d been flying to end.

?Why was I able to vape you?? Mara asked without preamble.

?You?re too fast,? Jaina muttered, her face reddening under her aunt?s steady gaze.

?Wrong. You?re not working with your allies. Jaina, you have a wing mate, not to mention an entire squadron to help you. Use them.?

?But ??

?But nothing,? Mara snapped. ?Just because you?re a Jedi doesn?t mean you can hold your own in a dogfight. That kind of thinking is a recipe for disaster.?

[b]Enemies[/b]

Jaina pivoted on one foot and brought the other around to kick a blaster out of her opponent?s hand. Making use of her momentum, she swung her lightsaber into his chest, and the man crumpled at her feet.

Finally extinguishing her weapon and looking around, Jaina saw her aunt standing unharmed a few meters away. Several men lay dead between them, and she had taken out some of

16. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    Wow, these were all so wonderful (as usual ;) ) Very well done! =D= Sunshine, Overcast, and Rain were my favorites! [face_love] Lovely job on all of them though. @};- Have a happy New Years Eve! [:D]
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

17. blurt

blurt Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2008
    I loved the Jaina and Mara interaction. I especially liked Spies, I always figured Mara must have taught her a few tricks most jedi don't know. Really great!

18. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Sunshine: Luke not wanting to talking about it and Han being comforting... he knows the kid is trying NOT to think about the events of the day and allows him to change the subject. Awesome.

Overcast: First view of the city planet... can hardly blame him for feeling overwhelmed.

Rain: You made me smile... Luke's cute when he's trying to be sneaky and it's obvious.

Snow: Luke and Ben in the snow... cute!!!!

Wind: I wanted to hug that man... [:D]

Allies: Mara has a very, very important lesson there for Jaina. Liked that.

Enemies: Sometimes it is, yes...

Spies: Espionage training as a live-fire exercise? That works...

Smuggler: It just so happens that Mara's backup plan is Agressive Negotiation...

Traitor: And she's right on with that one.

Liked how you led us through the lessons that Mara taught Jaina. Well done. :)

19. snowspeeder_gunner

snowspeeder_gunner Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Great job! I really loved reading these! Keep it up!

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I enjoyed the set with Luke very much... Snow the most. :D Mara and Jaina--terrific seeing them together in action and Mara in mentor mode is always a blast. :)

21. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    OH wow! So good! :D

My favorite?

Rain

The heavy downpour had given way to a gentle rain by the time the Jade?s Fire landed outside the Jedi Academy and Mara emerged.

?Skywalker,? she said, sounding exasperated, ?you know you don't have to meet me the minute I land the ship.?

?Hey, don?t blame me. I was already out here enjoying the peace and quiet when you arrived and blocked the wonderful view with your ship.? He motioned to the nearby wilderness.

Mara frowned, clearly unconvinced. ?It?s the middle of the night, and it?s raining. There is absolutely nothing to see.?

Luke smiled. ?That?s the beauty of it.?

Such a Luke thing to say. [face_love]

=D=

22. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Wind was so, so sad!! Poor Luke :(

The Jaina/Mara ones were great!! I love seeing their relationship. We didn't get very much of it in the NJO (nothing post-SBS) and after that, nothing. I love them as a pair and I love the way you wrote, with Mara teaching Jaina some lessons.

23. path-seeker

May 1, 2008
    dancing_star: Thank you! I always appreciate your feedback.

blurt: Thank you so much for stopping in and reading. I agree, I think Jaina got some spying skills from her aunt. ;)

Daenabenjen42: Glad you enjoyed these! Mara strikes me as the type of master who would rather teach through real situations rather than hypothetical lessons. Sometimes that's the best way to learn.

snowspeeder_gunner: Thank you so much! :)

Jade_eyes: Glad you liked them. I write Mara as a tough mentor, but Jaina's a strong person too (and stubborn), so they work well together.

VaderLVR64: Thank you! :D

NYCitygurl: I know, I wish NJO wouldn't have glossed over Jaina's apprenticeship so much. They are a fun pair! Thanks for reading.

24. path-seeker

May 1, 2008
    Week 15: Han Solo (pre-LOTF)

Spicy

?So there we were, Chewie and I, stuck deep in the spice mines of Kessel,? Han said, taking another bite of spicy Corellian food and wincing as if the taste reminded him of the mines. ?We needed a way to escape, so??

?You stole weapons and blasted your way out of the mines, leaving a huge path of destruction?? Ben asked, his blue eyes sparkling.

?Close, but not quite. We actually ? ?

?Han,? Leia interrupted, ?is this really an appropriate dinner conversation??

?Spoilsport,? he muttered before turning to Ben. ?Sorry, kid. You remind me to finish that story another time.?

Sweet

The apartment door slid open, and to Han?s relief, Jaina entered. She removed her jacket and boots before joining him in the living room.

?Hi Sweetheart,? he said, rising to greet her. ?I was wondering when you were going to arrive.?

She kissed his forehead and sat beside him. ?Really? Then why do I get the impression you?re surprised that I?m actually here??

?Hey, you?re not allowed to use those mind tricks on me,? he mumbled, only half joking.

Jaina gave him a sweet smile. ?I didn?t need the Force for that, Dad. It was written all over your expression.?

Sour

Han took a large bite of an exotic fruit, and immediately wished he hadn?t. Its flavor was so bitingly sour that it took all his concentration just to keep his face from contorting. It would be entirely impolite to make such faces at a welcome banquet in their honor. Beside him, Leia seemed to be enjoying the Ithorian delicacy. She must have durasteel taste buds.

?That fruit is not meant for human consumption,? Han grumbled later in the privacy of their room. ?How did you manage to eat it without even cringing??

Leia smiled guiltily. ?I used pain suppression techniques.?

Bitter

?Did Lando really give you the Falcon??

?He brought that up again??

Jaina nodded. ?He mentioned it, but he didn?t seem bitter or anything.?

?He isn?t, he just likes to remind me every once in awhile.? Han rolled his eyes.

?Why did he do it??

?You won?t tell him I told you??

?Of course not.?

?He won the Falcon in a sabacc game, but returned her because he was trying to cozy up to Mara.?

Jaina nearly choked on her drink. ?Aunt Mara? And Lando? That would have never?? She paused. ?Where was Uncle Luke during all this??

?In denial.?

Rotten

It didn?t take Ben long to discover his uncle was in a rotten mood. Instead of his usual wry humor, Uncle Han sounded irritable, and he hadn?t smiled all evening.

?Jaina is out with Zekk,? Leia explained, ?and Han is feeling a bit??

?Overprotective?? Ben asked, stifling a chuckle. He hid a grin behind his hand when Han glared at him.

?Just you wait. Once you have a daughter of your own, you?ll spend most of your time worrying about her too.?

Ben shook his head, unsuccessfully trying to compose a dead-pan expression. ?I don?t think I?m ever having kids.?

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Fun set. Loved Bitter especially. LOL about LUke being in denial. :D

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.