main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Key to Something, Somewhere (Padme/Vader, post-rots AU) COMPLETE-- final post 5/27

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Meredith_B_Mallory, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meredith_B_Mallory

Meredith_B_Mallory Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 6, 2001
    Author's Notes: As always, I must first thank you all for taking the time to look at my story. If I could trouble you just a bit more to comment when you're finished reading, I'd deeply appreciate it. Part of me is sort of afraid this sucks, but.. nothing ventured, nothing gained. ^^; Carol's finally come back to the SW galaxy, though it'd be nice if she'd help me _finish_ something, instead of giving me a new piece. This one is finished, though-- pretty much just a one shot... or rather it would be, if it wasn't so long. As it is, I'm splitting it up into three posts. I hope you all don't mind. ^__^ This is a what-if piece, running off the assumption that, at the end of ROTS, it might have been a decoy we saw, instead of actually being Padme. (Yes, I'm in denial. Hush. ^_~) This is very much a Vader/Padme piece, though it has a happy ending. Sort of. Well, not a happy ending for _everybody_. *rolls eyes at herself* My apologies to the wonderful Leia_N for not waiting for her to beta this. It was burning a hole in my harddrive! X_X I do hope you enjoy!

Without further adodo, may I present...

Floor six thousand;
    the stars,
    skeletons on fire,
    their arms singing.
    And a key,
    a very large key,
    that opens something--
    some useful door--
    somewhere--
    up there

-"Riding An Elevator Into the Sky", by Anne Sexton

==============================
    A Key To Something, Somehwere 1/1
    by Meredith Bronwen Mallory
    mallorys-girl@cinci.rr.com
    http://www.demando.net/

I was purchased by Lord Vader in the summer of my fifteenth year, to act as handmaiden to his wife. I remember I was fifteen, 'cause that was year I had myself a birthday party. A real birthday party, I'm tellin' you, after five years of being a slave. I'd spent all five of those years work'n for an absolutely awful old natty called Dowager Fon, and by that summer I had actual friends amongst the household staff, and even a few in the yard. It wasn't anything real special-- the girls put together some of the coins they got for sellin' piecework, and we had honey-wheat cake, jyo berries and one mighty fine bottle of Corellian firewater. We didn't get drunk or anything, o'course; that stuff is powerful expensive, and with six or seven of us, we could really only get a sip or two in each. But I was kinda happy that summer, despite bein' a slave, despite not know'n if Mama or Sissy or Pitr were alive or dead. It wasn't the kinda happiness I felt grow'n up on Naboo, no, but when you've felt the slaver's lash, known the feeling of those terrible _eyes_ looking at you up on the auctioneer's pedestal-- well, you learn to take what you can and hold onto it. You get your teeth into it, and you never let it go. So life was better'n it had been for a long while, and then that Sith-be-damned Dowager had to go an throw herself her own kinda party.
    The kind with all the shiny, carnival colored pills and liquids your stomach can stand. The kind you don' wake up from.

I guess I dunno why she did it-- I always thought she was the meanest old sired-of-a-Dug to ever swath herself in jewels and lace, but--
    What, now?
    Vader?
    You listen here, boy of mine, I don' care if you're the sodd'n Son of The Five Queens, let alone some high-n-mighty Officer of the New Republic, I'm gonna tell this story in my own time. You think that after workin' for _him_ I'd be scared of you? Ha! I'm get'n to Vader, and I'll get there in my own sweet time. And--
    Who's this new fellow now? You listen to him, now, Mr. Officer of The New Republic, and let me say my peace.
    General Solo, you say? You don' look like a General, none. You ought to tuck your shirt in, you know. An' get your feet off that fine cedar desk! I don't care if you _did_ take this planet from the stormtroopers, an' I don't care if you come in the name of a new democracy, you'll have some respect for the hours I spent polishing that damned thing.
    _Thank_ you. Now, General Solo and-- what'd you say your name was, boy?-- oh, Braddon, right. I'm gonna

2. Jazz_Skywalker

Jazz_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    Oh, amazing start! I'm assuming this is occuring after RotJ but the actual story she is telling is after RotS?

Anyhow, it's awesome, especially Tansie's diction. Please update soon!

jazz

3. bobilll

bobilll Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    You wrote another one! Great start. I love the tone you used; not many people still write colloquially. I like the idea of a slave for a handmaiden... creative, in seeing what kind of personality that pulls out of the Vaders. Hope for more!

4. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Yay! I love your style, the dialect in the narrative is great.

5. Meredith_B_Mallory

Oct 6, 2001
    Jazz_Skywalker- Thanks so much for the feedback. You're absolutely right-- this is actually taking place after ROTJ. I was torn over which board to post it on, but I figured that, since the action itself is taking place during the Saga, I'd post it here. ^__^ Hope you don't mind. I'm glad the diction works-- I was afraid it would distract.

bobill- Thank you so much for the compliment on the colloquialism. It was just the way the story demanded to be written-- I wanted that oral feel. I hope you enjoy what I manage to reveal of the Vaders. ^__^

DarthIshtar- Wow... feedback from _you_! I don't know what to say! [face_blush] Thank you very much.

I hope everyone will enjoy the rest of the story. Next post tomorrow.
    -Meredith

6. Kazzy

Kazzy Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 17, 2002
    You don't have to worry, none of this sucks, it's beautiful.

I love the way you're using a passive observer for the narrator, it puts an interesting angle on it, and you handle the pov well too. I don't get the feeling that Tansy will start telling us things she couldn't possibly have known. And also to a certain extent she forces you to draw your own conclusions about what has happened in the parts she hasn't or can't tell us. Are you going to continue like this, or use a different style?

And Padme's still alive, I'm not going to object!

Tansy is wonderful, she has a fantastic attitude, despite being a slave. She is not afraid of expressing her opinions at all is she. Although it shows that she can if she feels so inclined.

Brilliant!

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I lurked on something of yours after it was finished, but I can't remember what it was. So, when I saw that you were posting something over here, I took a look-see.

8. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    A new story from Meredith! [face_dancing] I've lurked on a few of your other stories... [face_blush] I love the way that you write. :D

Beautiful start to this one. I really like this type of narration. Have you ever read Katherine Mansfield's short stories? We just studied her in my English Lit class, and this reminds me a little of one that she wrote. In a very good way, I should add. :D The way you've captured the character's voice is excellent. The subtle insights into not only her character but those around her are beautifully done. I really liked the description of Vader -- evil, but not mean. And the comments to Han were fantastic as well. I liked the line about what she saw in his eyes in particular, and the way she told him to tuck his shirt in -- [face_laugh] Perfect!

I can't wait to see where you go with this. Who was Han rushing off to get, I wonder? [face_thinking]

9. Pokey

Pokey Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2002
    So beautiful, I love the tone of the chapter. It's very different then the last story of yours that I read and I like that. I love reading your stories.

10. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002

It's great to see a new story from you again. Put me in a good mood for the whole day. :D

Tansy's character and the whole style of narration reminds me a lot of a Stephen King book.... can't remember the name now but I think it was called Dorothy something? :confused:

Anyway, I like this very very much but what else is new? ;) It's an interesting mix from some of your other fanons right? There's definitely a hint of 'From Wherever....' implied in Padme's habit of keeping a diary. There's also a hint of the V/P story you wrote last year when Vader found and took his wife.

11. mithrissa

mithrissa Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2005
    I'm a new reader of SW fanfic (just started today as a matter of fact) but already I can feel the obsession hooking its claws in.

I enjoyed the POV of your story so far, the character voice is amusing (with shades of tough, no-nonsense elderly African-American slave?) and I love her just havin' no respect for General Solo. I thought that comments about slavery were vivid, and nicely avoided being trite/unoriginal.

I'm looking forward to reading more of your fics, and more of this one in particular!

Thankyou!
    Mithrissa.

12. Dally

Dally Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    I love it! What an intriguing idea!

13. Meredith_B_Mallory

Oct 6, 2001
    Kazzy- I'm so glad using a 'passive observer' works for you. Usually, I try to avoid original characters, but I always like the idea of looking at things from the outside in. The rest of the story is written in this same style. Once Tansie started talking to me, she wouldn't shut up 'til she was finished. ;) I do hope you enjoy the rest!

DarthIshtar- Well, I'm glad you came on in. I'm guilty of lurking on several of your stories!

Knight_Aragorn- You always leave the sweetest feedback-- thank you! I have read a few of Katherine Mansfield's pieces, though it's been quite a while. ^^; I'm so glad the dialect and POV are working for you-- I worried that would put some people off. And Han should tuck his shirt in, he looks like a pirate. Except... he is one. So never mind. ;)

Pokey- I'm glad my stories don't just seem like the same old thing. ^__^ Thank you so much for commenting!

leia_naberrie- *glomps leia_n* THERE you are. ^___^ I'm so glad to see you around! I'm also thrilled that you enjoyed this new story. Is the SK book you're thinking of Dolores Claiborne. I will confess to having read it, but I actually think Tansie's speech owes more to King's Odetta Holmes (from The Dark Tower, than Dolores. Well, that and the Kentucky hill talk I grew up hearing from my grandfather. ^_~ I hope that doesn't make me unoriginal. ^^;; As to any fic connections... you'll have to wait and see. ^_~

mithrissa- Wow, here I am corrupting the innocent! I'm glad you found your way here. The JC has some of the best authors around. I'm so glad you didn't think my slavery descriptions were trite-- I worried about getting it across without going overboard. I hope to see you around some more!

Dally- I'm glad you're enjoying things!

And now, the next chapter of our little story....

=====================================
    A Key to Something, Somewhere 2/3

=====================================

See, General? Here I am, still sitt'n pretty-- or as pretty as I can be, anyway. Who's this young man here? Aren't you a handsome one. Luke, is it? 'Sa nice name, that. And such nice manners, too! What're you doin, hanging around with this general who won't even tuck his shirt in? My Ma always said--
    Well, I'll be damned! It's like lookin' at a ghost, not that Lady Padme is dead-- thank the Force and will it to remain. It's just uncanny, 'swhat it is. Who're you, young miss?
    Leia Organa? I'm Tansie Flin, Lady Organa. If you don't mind my sayin' so, your name seems awful familiar. Look at me with this old brain, stuff rattling around like some Jawa's junkpile. Wait a second, now, it'll come to me... aren't you that Senator? The one they said was the youngest ever, the one from...
    You _are_? I'm doubly honored to meet you then, Lady Organa. Or should that be Senator? 'Just Leia'? Oh, no Ma'am, I couldn't, but you're very kind to offer. Lady Organa it is. Lady Padme did admire you so! I remember, when He was away, she'd watch you on the holo-- we don't get many transmissions out 'round these parts, but we do get the Imperial beam-- and talk to us about you. She was so impressed, you being so young and all, stick'n with your principles. She'd talk about the importance of maintaining small liberties even under the Emperor's iron fist, and...
    Oh, sweetie, don't _cry_! One of you boys give her a hankie or sommat, her eyes are getting all shiny. I didn't mean to upset you, young Lady, please understand. You just get up and give her your seat, Braddon-- the Lady looks awful pale. There, now.

Hmm? Well, I suppose I knew Lady Padme well enough, Master Luke, hav'n been her handmaiden for nigh on twenty years. I'll talk to you, o'course-- I'm guessing, General, that these are the people you wanted me to wait for? Alright. If you'll just get a little sip of water for this old girl here, we'll move right along.
    Thank you. You leav'n, Mr. Bradd

14. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I love the impressions of Leia and such, the first view of Padme...

So, you're a lurker like me. I'm usually not, which is why I have nearly 17,000 posts.

15. Dally

Dally Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Wow, this is great. I love Padme/Vader fics. I love how you are portraying Luke, Han and Leia's reactions (indirectly). Please continue!

16. Knight_Aragorn

Jun 15, 2003
    Beautiful post! I love the Padme/Vader dynamic. The way their relationship has decayed is so sad. I really like the way you describe Padme as searching for something in Vader, and the way that Vader clings to her so desperately. I suppose it shows all that she represents to him.

Looking forward the final part! :)

17. Meredith_B_Mallory

Oct 6, 2001
    DarthIshtar- I have always admired George for casting so well when it came to Leia's mother. NP does an excellent job of evoking mother-daughter similarities, and there are a few scenes where it's actually a little creepy, especially in TPM and AOTC. Over all, I think Luke and Padme are a little more alike, but... I'm rambling. ^^; 17000 posts? *boggles* I'm so glad you're still enjoying this!

Dally- Hee, P/V fics are my (not so secret) vice. ^___^ Thanks so much!

Knight_Aragorn- *blushes madly* Thank you. I worried about getting the feel right, but every time I think of that first Vader scene in ROTS... :eek: George still has me 'wow'ed over that!

Up, UP, and AWAY!
    -Meredith

18. Meredith_B_Mallory

Oct 6, 2001
    Fly, be free! [face_blush]
    -Meredith

19. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    ::Wears a red dress and climbs an elephant.::

One day I"ll flyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

20. searth_99

searth_99 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 5, 2001
    Wow!this is really good!can't wait for your 3rd part!
    please post soon as you can:p

UP!

21. Meredith_B_Mallory

Oct 6, 2001
    DarthIshtar- I hope that elephant has been sedated, oh Miss Satine. ^_~ Thanks for the up.

searth_99- Thank you so much for the comment. Ask and ye shall receive-- here's the final part.

I'm glad everyone has enjoyed the story so far, and I hope this final chapter doesn't disappoint. As always, I would be indebted to you if you'd take the time to tell me what you thought. *showers everyone with chocolate* You're sweeties, you are.

A Key To Something, Somehwere 3/3

If someone could get me a hankie and another glass'a water, I'd been awful grateful, I would. I'm sorry if my face is a bit a mess, I just... I really hope Lady Padme wakes up. It seems like sucha cruel joke, if she shouldn't make it, now that He's gone.
    Hmmm? What did we _do_ for twenty years? Well, I guess that's an understandable question. You see, it weren't just me and Devyn that served the Lady-- Lord Vader bought two more Nubian girls. Alizon was fourteen-- she's got honey-blond hair and a scar down her cheek, if you've seen her around. Oh, you have? That scar came from some dumb slaver, marked her up while giving her a beating, he did, which considerably lowered her price. She's always been put out about that, you know. When you're a slave, you've got a funny sense of pride, I guess. Got herself shot in the shoulder, did she? Well, as long as she's alright... Gotta say, I'm not too surprised. She could be the silliest thing in a tough situation, losing her head and panickin', the fool. The other girl was Evah, about thirteen when she first came. From the mountains of Naboo, she was, and kinda yellow or sickly pale, but she had awful nice green eyes. She was good at follow'n directions, too, and though she was probably the most terrified of Lord Vader-- after all, she was just a kid-- she bore it up well. Devyn was the eldest of us, older'n me by about two months. After he'd bought us all, Lord Vader brought the Lady Padme here, to this palace surrounded by high fortress walls.
    And here was where we all stayed, for twenty years.

I suppose our primary occupation, over decades, was goin' very quietly crazy. Can you blame us? Hell, I don't even know the name of this planet. All I know is what we called it. I don't know how the name stared up, or who thought of it-- we all just used it, like it was a real name. We called it Mugershun's Tower, we did, though never to Lord Vader's face. I don't know if he woulda gotten it or not, but with him it'were better to be safe than sorry. An, as you can well imagine, he could make you ever so sorry. The name-- Mugershun's Tower-- is from another Nubian legend. Mugershun was a very young prince of some consequence, back in a time before history. At that time, no one lived on the surface of Naboo-- they lived in the hollow planet core, and they were ruled in whole by the Empress Regnant. The Empress went an had herself a daughter, few years after Mugershun was born. And this Princess was... oh, what was her name? Mixuho, I think. I might be wrong. Anyway, just so happens that, on this princess' third birthday-- Nubian legends are just _full_ of threes-- some old fool mage goes and gives a prophecy that Mixuho's gonna die, painfully, at a young age. He can't say when and he can't say how, which sounds like a lot of poodoo if you ask me. Well, Mugershun'd been declared Mixuho's consort from the moment she was born, if you see what I'm saying, and he loved her with all his heart. Her parents were, nat'rally, pretty upset by the whole thing, so they locked her up in a tower. An upside down, tower, you see-- one built like a chandelier into the ceiling of the planet core. And that's where Mixuho stayed all her grow'n up years, hoping that, when she and Mugershun married, she'd be free to leave the tower. 'Cause, you know, if he loved her, surely he wouldn't want her shut up in there, like that, right? Na-yuh. Problem wa

22. Lucid_Lady

Lucid_Lady Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 28, 2002
    Wow! This is a good one. I like how you tell the story from the 1st point of view of one character. It makes the story unique.

23. Meredith_B_Mallory

Oct 6, 2001
    Up, UP, I say!
    ^_~
    -Meredith

24. Knight_Aragorn

Jun 15, 2003
    That was beautiful, Meredith! Vader was incredibly creepy -- so brutal, and yet still with that strange misplaced protectiveness. Padme's words to him were heartbreaking. What a terrible, terrible situation for her to be in. I was worried you were going to have her die, so I'm glad it was a happy ending. :)

Fantastic story! Thank you for sharing it. :D

25. Ashamaphone

Ashamaphone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    That's a great story, Meredith! I really like the way that you described the story, it was a refreshing perspective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.