main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends A Knight's Tale ? KotOR-era vignette ? Revan, OCs

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by jedi_of_ennth, Mar 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    Title: A Knight?s Tale
    Author(s): jedi_of_ennth
    Timeframe: post-KotOR1
    Characters: Revan, OCs
    Genre: angst, drama
    Keywords: sky
    Summary: All souls fall into the void.
    Notes: Originally written for the So You Think You Know Movies? Challenge.

-----
    [b][i]A Knight?s Tale[/i][/b]
    -----

She came from the sky, and that?s what we called her; she approved with a wry smile and became one of our own.

Her attempts to speak our language were comically rough, heavy with her cumbersome, otherworldly accent, but she made herself understood. She was a traveler, she told us, on a journey to find something she could not remember. Her sea-blue eyes laughed when she said this, as though mocking her insistence on following a dream, but if we pressed her on the matter, she became sad and spoke no more.

Skye took up residence with the Mother of Medicine, on the outskirts of our colony, and the Mother reassured us of her pure intentions and strange powers.

?She is far beyond us,? the Mother would say. ?But she means no harm.?

Not everyone was welcoming; as it has always been and will always be, a faction within the village was afraid of the unknown. They condemned Skye for her heavy, night-black armor with its trappings of war, and claimed the machine-beast she arrived in was the demon e?Dhra?s chariot.

But the demon e?Dhra never healed as Skye did. When villagers grew ill, she made them well again, and we no longer doubted her compassion.

?You are no demon,? I told her one evening, as we watched the children play in the dusty central square.

Skye?s lips twitched in a mysterious smile. ?So sure?? she rasped.

The gentle taunt sank into my heart and made me wonder, not for the first time, what star she had fallen from.

[b]*[/b]

When the blushing clouds faded into the stars, Mother lit the bonfire in the village square, and the children gathered around to hear the nightly songs and stories. They always begged Skye to share her stories of adventure, and she always refused; instead, she sat among them and listened to the Mother?s mythical tales with shining eyes.

Like the young ones, I wanted to hear of Skye?s adventures, but I was patient and respected her silence. Perhaps we were not ready to hear. She spoke sometimes of a multitude of worlds like ours, and I confess this was beyond the scope of my imagination. I was made for this world; she was made for the thousands beyond it.

She was as confused by our way of life as we were by hers; her eyes were wondering when she helped us weave our clothing or assemble our houses of crude adobe. And yet she looked at ease among the children around the fire ? perhaps because she was just as curious as they were.

[b]*[/b]

?I reach a twisting in path,? she told us, when we asked her why she stayed so long in our village on our primitive world; her sorrow was more eloquent than her words. ?What I search, I ? know not how to say,? she apologized. ?Where I go, I know not how to walk.?

?If you will stay, we will have you,? the Mother offered.

?Cannot,? was her wistful reply. ?Cannot stay. Cannot go home.?

?And yet you cannot go forward,? I pointed out gently. ?I do not pretend to know how you swim the stars, but I would not like to lose myself in that void.?

She looked at me, and I saw the void reflected in her eyes, filling her soul with emptiness. ?I am lost already.?

[b]*[/b]

Skye did not find what she was looking for in our village, on our little alien world, but eventually she found the next step in her journey and announced that it was time for her to depart. Before she set out for her machine-beast in the wilderness, she joined us in the courtyard one more time ? only this time, as we gathered around the fire, I noticed she stood in the Mother?s place at the front of the assembling crowd.

She caught my eye and beckoned me to her side. ?I speak

2. emeraldshadow

emeraldshadow Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 7, 2005
    Sad and beautiful and completely worthy of KotOR.=D=

3. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    I know nothing of KotOR - well, next to nothing; I know who Revan is :p - but this was tremendously moving. Very well done :)

Oddly enough, the summary line - All souls fall into the void - really jumped out at me. Is it a quote from somewhere?

Great work!

Nem :)

4. NiobeAsha

NiobeAsha Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 6, 2007
    Simply wonderful. I tried to pick a passage that I liked best, but it was just impossible to do. Excellent work! I wish that there was more to come.

5. drevan1138

drevan1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 7, 2006
    Powerful little story there. I enjoyed the simple world you created for us. You did an excellent job crafting a believable culture. And it was interesting to view Revan from their perspective. Well done.

6. BrentusofGath

BrentusofGath Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2005
    That mysterious smile lit her face, and the last words she whispered into my primitive sphere of existence were an introduction, not a good-bye.

"My name is Revan."

Very cool. =D=

Female Revan was and still is my favorite way to play KOTOR, while oddly enough, male Exile is my favorite, both going against the canon according to SW.

But anyway, I thought I should say how wonderful a read that was. :)

7. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    In such a short story, you wove a delightful tale.

?And yet you cannot go forward,? I pointed out gently. ?I do not pretend to know how you swim the stars, but I would not like to lose myself in that void.?

I found this most touching.

8. jedi_of_ennth

Mar 1, 2005
    Marie:

Sad and beautiful and completely worthy of KotOR.

Thank you! :)

-----

JediNemesis:

I know nothing of KotOR - well, next to nothing; I know who Revan is - but this was tremendously moving. Very well done

Thanks so much! :D

Oddly enough, the summary line - All souls fall into the void - really jumped out at me. Is it a quote from somewhere?

Not that I?m aware of. :)

Great work!

Thanks again!

-----

NiobeAsha:

Simply wonderful. I tried to pick a passage that I liked best, but it was just impossible to do. Excellent work!

Thanks so much!

I wish that there was more to come.

Unfortunately, this is just a one-shot for now, but I?m glad you enjoyed! :)

-----

drevan1138:

Powerful little story there. I enjoyed the simple world you created for us. You did an excellent job crafting a believable culture. And it was interesting to view Revan from their perspective. Well done.

Thank you! I was afraid the sudden jump into a primitive culture would throw people off; I?m glad I was able to sketch enough of their world for you to enjoy the story. :)

-----

BrentusofGath:

Very cool.

Thanks! :D

Female Revan was and still is my favorite way to play KOTOR, while oddly enough, male Exile is my favorite, both going against the canon according to SW.

Who needs canon when there?s fanfic? ;) I?m with you; I prefer fem!Revan.

But anyway, I thought I should say how wonderful a read that was.

Thanks again. I appreciate your review. :)

-----

HealerLeona:

In such a short story, you wove a delightful tale.

Glad you think so. :D Thanks for reading!

9. ZekksGoddess

ZekksGoddess Jedi Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    Beautifully sad...this was agreat Revan vig. Absoloutley great! =D=

I love how you portrayed Revan, in all her sadness and feeling lost. Ah, this was so good!

10. jedi_of_ennth

Mar 1, 2005
    ZekksGoddess: Thanks so much, ZG! Glad you enjoyed! :D

11. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I can't believe I missed this earlier! :oops:

Bravo! =D=

12. SakuraTsukikage

SakuraTsukikage Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2005
    Amazing. Just amazing. Your phrasing is incredibly beautiful. Just . . . wow.

13. KotOR_girl

KotOR_girl Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2007
    Wow, amazing piece. Wonderfully written, really. =D= =D= =D= Bravo!

14. Jedi_Drizzt

Jedi_Drizzt Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2006
    Beautiful. =D= I prefer male Revan, but this was a great read as well. :) =D=

15. Tizzel

Tizzel Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2007
    Wow, that was just great.=D=

?My name is Revan.?

Great!!!

16. jedi_of_ennth

Mar 1, 2005
    VaderLVR64:

Thanks for reading! :D

-----

SakuraTsukikage:

Thanks so much! [:D]

-----

KotOR_girl:

-----

Jedi_Drizzt:

Thanks! :) I like male Revan, too, just not quite as much as fem!Revan. ;)

-----

Tizzel:

Glad you enjoyed! :D

17. 1Yodimus_Prime

1Yodimus_Prime Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2004
    I love this, because you can already see how her story is going to meld into their legends. They intend to make every effort to make sense of her within their own limited world view, for better or worse.

Which brings up another point - the details of this culture have been left almost completely absent, to the point where we don't even know what type of environment they live in. Yet in spite of that, you still manage to make them seem like a fully fleshed out race. It's like an impressionist painting. Bravo!

I'd love to see this culture revisited in the saga era, to see how - and to what extend - this short little visit has altered the spiritual and historical knowledge of these People. It would be interesting.

18. bi0nic

bi0nic Jedi Master star 3

Feb 15, 2006
    Brilliant, jedi_of_ennth! I totally agree with Yodimus, the depiction of the native society was superbly understated, throwing in enough small little details of their viewing the galaxy differently, to really give an impression of an innocent, pre-technology culture. The idea of Revan's "machine-beast", and the lines, "I do not pretend to know how you swim the stars" and "She spoke of a man ? Malak, and the foreign word was bitter on my tongue" were all very cool examples of this.

I don't know if you had them in mind at all, but I got the feeling that these people were quite like the KOTOR-era Rakata, the technologically-limited, reverted-to-a-primitive-way-of-life species who Revan visited in the first quest for the Star Forge and experienced communication problem similar to the ones here.

Anyhoo, very good job! =D=

19. Anderson84

Anderson84 Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 2007
    Awesome. Loved it. Great imagery. Good anthropology too with the culture you've created here.

20. jedi_of_ennth

Mar 1, 2005
    1Yodimus_Prime:

I love this, because you can already see how her story is going to meld into their legends. They intend to make every effort to make sense of her within their own limited world view, for better or worse.

Exactly. Even within her own galaxy, Revan is seen as something of a mythological figure; I wanted to explore a culture that would see her in the same mythological light?just in a different context.

Which brings up another point - the details of this culture have been left almost completely absent, to the point where we don't even know what type of environment they live in. Yet in spite of that, you still manage to make them seem like a fully fleshed out race. It's like an impressionist painting. Bravo!

Thanks! For the purposes of this story, I didn?t feel an in-depth knowledge of their world or society was necessary. It could be any primitive society anywhere in the Unknown Regions.

I'd love to see this culture revisited in the saga era, to see how - and to what extend - this short little visit has altered the spiritual and historical knowledge of these People. It would be interesting.

Now there?s a plot bunny. [face_thinking]

Thanks for stopping in! :D

-----

bi0nic:

Brilliant, jedi_of_ennth! I totally agree with Yodimus, the depiction of the native society was superbly understated, throwing in enough small little details of their viewing the galaxy differently, to really give an impression of an innocent, pre-technology culture. The idea of Revan's "machine-beast", and the lines, "I do not pretend to know how you swim the stars" and "She spoke of a man ? Malak, and the foreign word was bitter on my tongue" were all very cool examples of this.

I don't know if you had them in mind at all, but I got the feeling that these people were quite like the KOTOR-era Rakata, the technologically-limited, reverted-to-a-primitive-way-of-life species who Revan visited in the first quest for the Star Forge and experienced communication problem similar to the ones here.

Now that you mention it, they are very similar. Though it?s been a long time since I played the first KotOR, so my memory may be a little sketchy. ;)

Thanks for reading! :D

-----

Anderson84:

Awesome. Loved it. Great imagery. Good anthropology too with the culture you've created here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.