main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST A large portion of the New Republic Fleet was destroyed. Will they be able to fight back in VIII/IX?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TheLateAdmiralPiett, Dec 22, 2015.

1. TheLateAdmiralPiett

TheLateAdmiralPiett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 1, 2004
    I was thinking about this today. You can see a lot of capital ships around the planet when the Starkiller fires on it.

It's likely that they have other, smaller fleets scattered around, and it's a safe bet that a majority of the New Republic are now willing to enter the war, but how effective will they be? How much will they have to rebuild and rearm?

The sympathizing senators that were funneling war materiel to Leia's efforts were likely on Hosnian Prime when it was destroyed as well, so will she officially rejoin the New Republic in order to continue fighting? Maybe Lando can be brought back in this way. The old rumors claimed he has a fleet.

So many questions, so many months to wait for the answers. Discuss!

2. AmidalaLover

AmidalaLover Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 19, 2014
    Probably. The First Order also lost an entire base. Maybe they are on even fighting ground?

3. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Clones. It's the way to reconstruct an army quicky. Or lots of Rogers Rogers.

AshiusX, vncredleader, 11-4D and 5 others like this.
  4. DarthHavok

DarthHavok Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2002
    Luckily those answers are only 17 months out. So much nicer than 3 years.

5. TheLateAdmiralPiett

Oct 1, 2004
    Fair point. We don't know exactly how much of the Unknown Regions they mapped out and industrialized. Hopefully the New Republic can mass enough resources to be on equal ground.

6. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    That was the official Rebublic defense fleet. It was actually fairly small. The huge majority of the Alliance fleet disbanded and went back to their home planets. Wouldn't take much to organize them back into a unified Republic Fleet.

7. TheLateAdmiralPiett

Oct 1, 2004
    Is this from the Visual Dictionary?

8. loki41872

Dec 13, 2002
    Aftermath Novel

9. MillenniumFalcon2015

MillenniumFalcon2015 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 18, 2013
    I hope to see a Unified New Republic Fleet in Episode VIII and IX and beyond to Episodes X-XII. I hope to see the New Republic Fleet and the Resistance Fleet take on the First Order in Episodes VIII and IX and take the fight to the First Order's territory of a little something called the Unknown Regions and wipe out all their bases and shipyards.

10. TheLateAdmiralPiett

Oct 1, 2004
    Aside from that random mention of X-XII, you and I are in agreement. :)

Focus on the here and now. We can focus on X-XII later!

11. RavagerFish

RavagerFish Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2011

I really hope that the New Republic survives the destruction of its Senate and the galaxy doesn't erupt into anarchy. We had three movies trying to restore it, and I would hate to be kicked back to square one by removing the New Republic as soon as it's introduced! If it does survive, though, I reckon the remaining defense fleets will be ready and willing to help Leia's Resistance.

Also, forget X-XII, in Episodes XIII-XVI, the New Republic is taken over by a senator from within, and is transformed into the New Empire. You heard it here first.

12. Ed_Fett_77

Ed_Fett_77 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    A good Chance to make Lando an Admiral of the remaining Republic Fleet.

13. interxavier01

interxavier01 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    This may help answer your question:

source: <http://io9.gizmodo.com/everything-we-know-about-star-wars-post-return-of-the-j-1729549100

If you ask me, it's another way for them to introduce a story arc on how the New Republic lacks unity because, if you think about it, it would make them too powerful if they were united.

akaydia, Jedi Merkurian and Sarge like this.
  14. Puke-Jaywalker

Puke-Jaywalker Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 18, 2004
    Since the First Order's fleet isn't that large, and I imagine the New Republic is now dealing with their own very small force...maybe part of the plot for VIII will be about trying to find something like the Star Forge.

The Jaded Irk likes this.
  15. DarthHavok

DarthHavok Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2002
    How do we know the FO fleet isn't that large either?

Aside from that, I would assume an attack on the Republic would cause the war to go from cold to hot immediately. I'm assuming we'll see the Republic rally the troops.

16. Oberron

Oberron Jedi Padawan

Sep 6, 2013
    Maybe they'll decide to see if lightning will strike twice and order a clone army from the kaminoans. Ain't no way that could go wrong.

17. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    A big problem with the New Republic accepting the Resistance is their senators don't like Leia and believe her to be a warmonger, the New Republic seem to have a distrust of the Jedi too, that could be a problem if Leia's true heritage is ever revealed.

On the other hand those senators that don't trust Leia and the Jedi may well be all dead, those left may well have to accept she was right all along and that the FO version of history is that of the empire whose remnants it was formed from.

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I hope we don't get X-XII, but that's just me.

19. loki41872

Dec 13, 2002
    With the Republic Senate reluctant to go to war, and the Republic member worlds unable to unify, the First Order was able to re-arm and build their fleet and super weapon. Destroying that weak senate, and showing all member worlds that the FO is really a threat, may have the complete opposite effect than the FO intended. They probably didn't just destroy the Republic by destroying Hosnia, they may have just unified it. And the member worlds will replace their now-dead Seantors with new Senators who will be out for the First Order's blood. The Republic may just become the new Empire and crush the First Order, setting up episodes 10-12 to be a NEW civil war to free the Galaxy from the oppresive regime the Republic becomes.

20. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I can only speak for me, but I have just been spoiled by my new favorite of all the Star Wars films and 17 months seems every bit as long as the 3 years that we waited since TFA was announced. I neeeeeed MOAR!

21. AmidalaLover

AmidalaLover Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 19, 2014
    I also put it into the perspective of our world. Imagine if D.C. was destroyed. The government wouldn't crumble. It would obviously be in disarray, but you would have millions of pissed off people wanting blood from the enemy.

22. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    I think the remaining Republic forces will retreat to the mid rim and core worlds while The First Order will begin conquest in the outer rim. Lando and Leia will regroup and then an all out war will begin over the course of Episodes 8 and 9.

23. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    I'd just like to point out that we also had 3 movies establishing the Galactic Empire, and look how that panned out.

MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.
  24. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I think this is exactly the case, however the NR has an edge due to the prudence of Leia.

AmidalaLover likes this.
  25. MillenniumFalcon2015

MillenniumFalcon2015 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 18, 2013
    I like this. This would be similar to the Legacy of the Force book series. Would the antagonists or protagonists be the Corellian Confederation Fleet and the Hapan Fleet or even the Mandalorian Fleet going up against the evil New Republic Fleet? We could see HUGE space battles in Episodes 10-12 with many warships and starfighters from many different factions of the galaxy? Bring on Episodes 10-12! Bring on 2021 or 2025 or 2027!

Jartrooper likes this.