main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST A large portion of the New Republic Fleet was destroyed. Will they be able to fight back in VIII/IX?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TheLateAdmiralPiett, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012

Looks like quite a Starfleet but this was just what ships they had that defended the Hosnian System, in theory this could just be a portion of the firepower the New Republic had.
    [​IMG]

If we go by what the Rebellion had after Endor was transferred to the New Republic then where are the rest? Then you have the obsolete star ships, where are they now...sold off? put in cold storage in some yard in space? being used on other assignments throughout the galaxy?

2. MillenniumFalcon2015

MillenniumFalcon2015 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 18, 2013
    The Resistance had better find new ships across the galaxy including inside the Unknown Regions and the Corporate Sector to strengethen their fleet in Episodes VIII and IX.

Django Fett likes this.
  3. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    I guess the New Republic is going to build new ships. I think they are pissed off...

4. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Honestly, I think that was all or most of the fleet, in light of 3PO's comment. It was likely a defensive force, given what we heard of Mothma's de-militarization objectives in Aftermath.

5. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Yeah I think the intent was to imply that the bulk of the fleet is gone. Pearl Harbor, but more so.

6. WookieeRage

WookieeRage Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2016
    Maybe the New Republic and Resistance will have to secure the Starforge in the unknown regions to get their fleet back in shape.;)

MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.
  7. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I think it's all part of the plan. To make the First Order grow in power, while the Resistance seemingly gets weaker, or more on a level playing field.

8. AshiusX

AshiusX Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 7, 2016
    I might get flak for this.
    I wouldn't seeing the republic using droids in its army. Of course, it shouldn't solely dominated by them. A mixture of droid and organic lifeforms in its ranks.

It would be a nice contrast with the PT. Where the droids were the ''bad guys''.

Rimfaxe96 and thejeditraitor like this.
  9. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    do we know what percentage of the republic fleet was destroyed? i would assume they have plenty more. the first order as well.

10. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    they are going to have to do some major rebuilding. Need a new Capital, New Chancellor, New Senate. new everything. Which makes me wonder if at the end of the trilogy they'll make Leia the new republic.

11. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    We all put on weight as we get older but that's just cruel.

12. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    D'oh I meant do u think they will make leia the new chancellor of the new republic following the sequel trilogy?

13. The Jaded Irk

The Jaded Irk Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 14, 2014
    My bets are on Maz Kanata using her smuggler and pirate connections to gather together a rag tag battle armada to aid the Resistance. Also would love to see the Star Forge.

14. Rimfaxe96

Rimfaxe96 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2016
    I'd like Finn to be some kind of liberator for Stormtroopers. Take away their manpower and the FO is nothing.

Sarge likes this.
  15. Lord Farnsworth

Lord Farnsworth Jedi Padawan star 3

Feb 2, 2016
    I believe Finn is going to be the one who rebuilds their miitary. Finn is the soldier who has nothing to fight for. He needs a cause, and with that cuse will probably be an army that he buikds up. Perhaps the families of the poor whose chidren have been taken, because you know the FO kidnapped poor chidren. The rich have the means to fight back better than the poor.

16. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    It would be a good way to bring Lando back, actually. Maybe after the rebellion, he was able to bring the Mining Guild into the Republic and over time, was able to build up one of the most successful business empires in the galaxy. Perhaps he was secretly funding the Resistance without any direct involvement because it would have harmed his business interests. Leia goes to Lando, in need of a fleet to defend the Republic, which stands on the verge of collapse. She needs to show the galaxy that she can defend it from the First Order, with many worlds thinking about allying themselves with the First Order due to the destruction of Hosnian Prime. At first, Lando doesn't want to get involved but when he hears about Han Solo's death, he agrees to give Leia all the ships she needs.

vncredleader likes this.
  17. King Maul

King Maul Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 20, 2016
    I think the New Republic will turn into a antagonistic organization. Anyone thinks clones will return ? Apparantly Snoke considered using clones .

18. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I imagine there are more ships than just what was in the Hosnian System. I think they could stand a strong fight against the FO, even while weakened.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  19. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    As I understood it, the Republic and the Resistance were considered separate. At least that's how Hux made it sound when he suggested destroying Hosnian to Snoke. Hosnian Prime was the political headquarters of sorts for this New Republic-not a shipyard or base for the Resistance fleet. IIRC, there was nothing in TFA that mentioned there was a large military force based there. I mean, that would be like if the majority of the clone army was based on Coruscant during the Clone Wars. I would imagine that the fleet was actually spread out across a few different bases spread across the galaxy-with D'Qar being merely one of them-not unlike the Empire did in its day. Any military leader knows full well it is unwise to have all of your fleet in just one place. Even Pearl Harbor wasn't set up that way. It was the largest part of the Pacific fleet specifically, but not by any means the majority of all America's military forces in general.

The way I predict VIII playing out is that in response to the destruction of Hosnian Prime, several individual star systems-including some that were perhaps on the fence between sides-will offer their support to the Resistance, in order to fight back the First Order. At least I hope it goes that way-that would be nice to see...

20. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    I'm hoping that once the First Order is defeated, the Resistance will be reintigrated into the republic's military.

21. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I'm wondering if the First Order will ever truly be defeated, especially considering the long term future of the ongoing saga. Both in the films and expanded universe.

22. TheLateAdmiralPiett

TheLateAdmiralPiett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 1, 2004
    The Aftermath novel establishes that Mon Mothma planned to cut military spending by 90% and allow for systems to defend themselves individually, as opposed to being part of a larger fighting force within the New Republic.

If you pause the film as the Starkiller's beam hits Hosnian Prime, you can see dozens of capital ships around the surface of the planet. This was at the very least, a large portion of the fleet they were fielding at the time.

Granted, there are probably tens of thousands of New Republic planets out their with their own defense forces that will eventually join the fight, but the implication was that the core fleet was destroyed and the senate was wiped out, temporarily leaving the New Republic out of the fight.

23. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i would think that after the capital was wiped out the remaining republic forces and the resistance would join together to fight the f.o. this probably leads to laura dern's character trying to take charge over leia and the resistance.

TheLateAdmiralPiett likes this.
  24. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I would love to see some kind of teaming up of the individual systems' military forces and the remaining Resistance forces in VIII. The idea of a bunch of different planets in the galaxy uniting against the First Order really sounds like an effective and moving plot point to me. A sort of "Battle of a hundred armies" sort of thing.

Then again, now that I actually read it-it may be more effective story-wise to see something like that in Ep. IX.

25. TheLateAdmiralPiett

TheLateAdmiralPiett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 1, 2004
    I imagine that we'll see a semi-unification in VIII, as in a few hundred systems realizing what a threat the First Order is, but a lot of systems still won't commit. Then a full on "we need to band together completely" moment in IX where everything will fall into place, the loose ends are tied up, and the New Republic and Resistance comes together to get rid of the First Order.

DARTH_BELO likes this.