main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST A large portion of the New Republic Fleet was destroyed. Will they be able to fight back in VIII/IX?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TheLateAdmiralPiett, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002

From reading Bloodline:

I think a fair number of systems with centrist tendencies will come out in full support of the FO and leave the Republic. I think there will be a real galactic civil war, not an insurgency of a few systems.

DARTH_BELO and Chewies_bandolier like this.
  2. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Totally agree!

After TFA, tbh, I was wondering how the third?fourth? yet_another? Galactic Civil War would pan out.. from Bloodline
    I got the a much clearer impression of the state of the New Republic (it sounded even more rotten, weak and ineffectual than the OLD Republic, which is saying something) however it seems that:
    • The apparatus of the New Republic (the Senate at least and most elected official) were cleverly obliterated by the FO in their pre-emptive strike which it seems, also included whatever was left (after the disarmament pacts) of the NR Fleet
    • The remaining systems will presumably either declare their allegiance against the FO, some siding with the ostracised and previously discredited Leia "daughter of Darth" Organa. I can JUST imagine the most paranoid conspiracists implicating both Leia and Luke in the FO's rise somehow (remember the "Luke is Kylo Ren" business?)
    • There is now a clear impression that some of the core Centrist worlds (including, I imagine, one Coruscant) and Arakis, formally seceding from the NR or whatever is left of it, and siding openly with the FO, which would be very wise, despite the setback at SKB, for the FO (sweeping in and taking control of everything in one massive galactic coup d'etat)
    • The remnants of the NR Fleet (with Laura Dern's alleged Republican senator/leader) would naturally be drawn to the Resistance or so you would think, but i guess that the paranoia, disorganisation and the general lack of direction seen in the NR would make this more of a haphazard affair, with perhaps, individual ships or fleets breaking off and running away with the Resistance.
    I really really do feel for Leia ... as I wrote elsewhere, I imagine if Kylo Ren ends up taking a more prominent role in the FO governance as Vader had in the Empire, Leia's would lose considerable trust and credibility amongst the ordinary galactic citizen, were it known that not only was her father a supernaturally gifted religious totalitarian fanatic, but that her son was the same.

AS to the question of how the NR can hope to match the FO .. well .. the destruction of SKB presumably evened the odds somehow, but I guess that the remnants of the NR fleet and the Resistance (with their grand fleet of .. 6 X wings?) will have to go back to the guerilla warfare of the last Galactic Civil War.

The role of the "Church of the Force" and acolytes like LTS in rehabilitating the Jedi (and Luke) amidst all of this will be ... perhaps pivotal.

whostheBossk likes this.