main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Last Parting...(Immediately pre-ROTJ AU Vader/OC)Author's reply 6/6/08

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by GunraysLawyer, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GunraysLawyer

GunraysLawyer Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2003
    All right, it's been a while since I've been on this board, but this very brief tale of Anakin Skywalker, the Lord Darth Vader and Ivo Arzhan just screamed to be told. For those of you who have read the rest of the 'Ivoverse' stories, you jave an idea what you're getting into. For new readers, I can only say recommend that you read "To Absent Friends," the original Ivo story, and the closest in time (in the timeline) to this one. It can be found here

Enjoy, and I always look forward to feedback.

Of course, I don't own any of this, and have no intention of infringing on the copyrights and trademarks of Lucasfilm, Ltd. It goe swithout saying that I am making no money at this.

A Last Parting?

(2 years 10 months after the events of "To Absent Friends," three months prior to the beginning of Return of the Jedi)

The Imperial Palace, Audience Chamber, Coruscant

Kisavalivo Brenkal ?Ivo? Arzhan, Lord Protector of the Commonwealth of Kalinda and its Domains amongst the Stars, Grand Moff of the Imperial MidRim territories, was utterly flummoxed.

Looking directly at the cowled, decrepit occupant of the throne, he tried desperately to shield his sense of surprise and confusion from the constant attempts by that seated figure to read his feelings. An unnerving near silence, broken only by the steady sound of Anakin?s respirator, had settled over the audience chamber after the Emperor had stopped speaking. Desperate thoughts ran through Ivo?s head.

Say something, you fool?Damn it, Ivo Arzhan, open your mouth and say something?

Obeying his own internal commands, Ivo tried not to look or sound shocked as he said, ?Hapes??

A grim laugh like a creaking door in the night sounded from beneath the cowl. Then the Emperor spoke again, ?Yes, Moff Arzhan, Hapes. Surely, you, the Victor of Ando, the Pacifier of the Midrim, can eliminate the Hapan problem for the Empire. If not, I can always appoint a new Grand Moff.?

To his credit, Ivo didn?t cringe. He simply said, ?Most certainly, I can handle this issue for you, but I will likely need to draw on the Outer Rim Garrisons and Fleet to defeat the Hapan Consortium.?

?You will have what ever forces you need Arzhan. However, I do not wish Hapes defeated. I wish the Consortium utterly crushed.?

As the Harmonies of Creation flared with the will of the Emperor Palpatine, Ivo said in the most nonchalant and confident tone that he could muster, ?Of course Majesty, but to do that I will need the additional troops and ships that I suggested.?

As Ivo finished, another near silence filled the room. This time, it was brought to an end by the Emperor, ?As I said, you will have all you need, Moff Arzhan.?

The Emperor paused. Ivo stood silently, expecting the curt dismissal that he always had received from Palpatine. Instead, something very different happened.

?Moff Arzhan,? the Emperor began again, ?Why did your wife not accompany you to this audience? I am sure that she would have made more pleasant company for Lord Vader and myself than your five aides and guards standing between you and the door.?

Ivo felt pressure, unbelievable pressure, on him through the Harmonies: what the Sith and the Jedi had called the Force. Palpatine wanted this information for some reason, and was trying to compel an answer. Ivo resisted.

?She is at the Residence Tower at the Embassy. She awoke this morning feeling ill. I thought it best not to potentially endanger your health, Majesty.?

Laughter came from the throne. Not the strained croak of earlier, but clear laughter. As it trailed off, the Emperor spoke.

?Good, Arzhan, but do not prevaricate with me. I know that your wife doesn?t like me.?

As the Emperor paused, Ivo thought, If the phrase ?makes my skin crawl? means dislike?

The Emperor?s voice interrupted Ivo?s thoughts. ?I know that you don?t like me either. Knowing you, I find it likely th

2. _ThatJediScum_

_ThatJediScum_ Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2005
    As he approached Vader, Ivo smelled something. It was a light lingering fragrance; floral, but spiced with vanilla. Ivo slowed his pace, and at about two meters from Vader, said, ?You wanted to speak with me, Anakin.?

For once, there was no denial, and no threats of grave bodily harm for the use of that name. Instead, Ivo heard something like a sigh or huff sound from behind the respirator?s steady pump and hiss; then, the deep, artificial voice with which Ivo had never become comfortable.

?Moff Arzhan?Ivo?there is a favor I wanted to ask of you.?

?Name it, Anakin.? Ivo replied, surprising himself with his own lack of hesitation.

Anakin slowly reached to the right side of his belt. From his right hip he drew forth a small flattened cylinder, much wider than it was tall. Ivo recognized it for what it was: an old style portable hologenerator. Anakin handled it gingerly, as if it were hot. He held it out to Ivo.

For some reason I read this part twice. After the second reading, I was in tears. And the tears remained until the end of the the story. Lovely and completely heart breaking.

bran

3. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I'm glad to see that you are back. I've missed the Ivo universe.

I really liked this one, especially the conversation between Ivo and Dorme. But my favorite part was this.

Ivo squeezed Anakin?s artificial right forearm, and thought, Of that I have no doubt, Anakin, but you seek more than just his presence?Ivo found his thought interrupted by that familiar odor again. It was an experience that he had gotten used to over the last twenty or so years. She was around Anakin often. In the Harmonies, her presence was easily discernible to those who looked, and who did not force themselves to ignore their senses. Her presence, and a feeling that swept over Ivo along with it, lead him to say something that he knew Anakin wouldn?t want to hear.

?Anakin, she loves you still and always will. She has never forsaken you.?

As Anakin Skywalker, the Lord Darth Vader, tried to pull away, as if from a fire, Ivo grasped his arm more strongly, and said, ?Remember that. It may help you find everything for which you search. Good bye, my friend, and again, good luck.?

It's too bad that Vader didn't understand it as well as Ivo did. Luckily, he will eventually....

Great job.

4. canadianjedimama

canadianjedimama Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 28, 2008
    Okay, now I have to go back and read the previous story because this was wonderful.

*grumbles about finishing her own fic*

=D= Very well done.

CJM

5. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Yes, yes you must -

I don't want to 'pick and chose' quotes from this, as I think this whole story is just wonderful, and an excellent addition to the very rich 'Ivoverse' (but I will for sake of comment).

First, of course you know softy me - I love this line...

Ivo looked her, smiled, and said, ?That love survives and all is not lost. That hope survives.?

So simple and yet so... profound. The same with the brief yet touching interaction with ANAKIN... I think Ivo is one of the only people who can call him that, and it keeps him human.

Now on to the 'other bit' - no less well written and presented but deliciously creepy...

?Moff Arzhan,? the Emperor began again, ?Why did your wife not accompany you to this audience? I am sure that she would have made more pleasant company for Lord Vader and myself than your five aides and guards standing between you and the door.?

*shiver*

You can hear Ian in this - not just seethe words dripping from his mouth like slime......

*another shiver*

So, of course well done!

Now, all we need is the next chapter in The Great Game - soonest I hope!

6. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    I found this vignette so moving. I love everything about it, from the way Ivo deals with Palpatine (his weariness at having to go through this kind of fencing match with Palpatine throughout his tenure as a Grand Moff shines through) to the incredibly poignant scene with Vader. I love the fact that Ivo persists in thinking of him as Anakin, and that Vader allows the name to be used. Only Ivo could get away with that. Only Ivo! I love Padme's presence in the scene, and the importance of her enduring closeness to Anakin/Vader.

Do you want to know the astropolitical bad news or the metaphysical bad news first??

Dormé put down her book, reached out and touched Ivo?s near hand, and asked, ?That bad??

This made me laugh out loud! It's so characteristic of you - this dry humor weaving its way through stories that pack a gut-punch. Love it.

Bravo!

7. obsessedwithSW

obsessedwithSW Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    Nice to see you on the boards!
    I?ve been order to defeat, no, that?s not right?to conquer the Hapan Consortium.?

Dormé?s eyes widened slightly. ?Why?? she asked, sounding totally perplexed.

?As far as I can tell, the purpose of it is to keep me off stage while other things happen.?

So is this like sending Obi-Wan after Grievous so Palptine could manuver Vader into turning Luke?
    Just like the devil, Palps reverts to old tricks.
    Is this hologenerator what Ivo gives Leia and Luke inGreat Game? I hope you will continue the Great Game I miss it- plus my memory starts to fade with time. Must be the Alzheimer kicking in.
    edit* got the pm thanks! It was my wish!

8. JediMasterRev

JediMasterRev Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2004
    Very, very moving, GL. I have always been a big fan of Ivoverse so it was great to see this post listed.

As always, I think you absolutely nailed the characterizations. I especially enjoyed the brief, but moving interaction beteen Ivo and Vader. I love how he seems to be the only 'living' person that has a connection with Anakin. I especially enjoyed how this one shot ties in perfectly with the rest of your elegant universe.

Brilliant work, as always!

9. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    :_|

*Hugs Ani*
    *Hugs Ivo*

Puir wee laddies...

"I do not wish Hapes defeated. I wish the Consortium utterly crushed."

One mystery solved.

Ivo thought, If the phrase ?makes my skin crawl? means dislike...

Typical Dormé. Only she would be brave (or foolish?) enough to say out loud what everyone's been thinking for ages.

For once, there was no denial, and no threats of grave bodily harm for the use of that name. Instead, Ivo heard something like a sigh or huff sound from behind the respirator?s steady pump and hiss.

"That name no longer hold any meaning to me." Yeah, riiight. Talk about denial. Dear Ani, you're not fooling anyone there...

An old style portable hologenerator. Anakin handled it gingerly, as if it were hot. He held it out to Ivo.

Second mystery solved.

Of that I have no doubt, Anakin, but you seek more than just his presence...

No truer words... *shakes fist at Palpatine*

?So, do you feel the need to bathe? I always feel like a bath after seeing Palpatine, even if it?s only on the holonet.?

[face_laugh] Only Dormé... Good thing Ivo's not all that fond of Palpatine, himself.

?Do you want to know the astropolitical bad news or the metaphysical bad news first??

I [face_love] Ivo. Really, he's just too much.

?But you still didn?t tell him??

?No, I didn?t,? Ivo responded seemingly perplexed. ?Instead,? he continued, ?I told him something else that I did try to tell him three years ago.?

?What?s that??

Ivo looked her, smiled, and said, ?That love survives and all is not lost. That hope survives.?

:_| So bittersweet. So poignant. So sad...

From The Lord of the Rings:

All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
    A light from the shadows shall spring;
    Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
    The crownless again shall be king.

And Anakin became free at last, when he finally shook the shackles of slavery...

Cheers,

Lauré :)

10. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    Replies will be up soon.

So, any lurkers, de-lurk.

See you soon.

11. Sophronia

Sophronia Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2004
    ?Good, Arzhan, but do not prevaricate with me. I know that your wife doesn?t like me.?

As the Emperor paused, Ivo thought, If the phrase ?makes my skin crawl? means dislike?

Very funny

Anakin slowly reached to the right side of his belt. From his right hip he drew forth a small flattened cylinder, much wider than it was tall. Ivo recognized it for what it was: an old style portable hologenerator. Anakin handled it gingerly, as if it were hot. He held it out to Ivo.

?I would greatly appreciate it if you would hold this for me. You will know when it is time to return it to me.?

So why does Vadakin decide to give the hologenerator to Ivo? For hiding in a safe place? Are its memories too obviously haunting to him?

A bittersweet vignette, but delightful to read- thanks for writing it out.

12. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    Well, here it is, time for replies...

Oddly, I find it very, very difficult to do replies for this work. This is for two reasons.

The first is that I feel overwhelmed by teh amount of praise delievered by my readers. I am glad that this piece spoke to you all as much as it spoke to me. It really did write itself.

Secondly, because it isn't really a piece that admits to deep (or even shallow) intellectual commentary.

However, I will try to give some responses in no particular order...

First, as to Sophronia's question as to why Vader gives Ivo the hologenerator (now seen in To Absent Friends and The Great Game, as well as here): If one asked Vader, he would only admit that he was trying to remove something that was becoming a distraction to his mission to find and convert Luke. But, looked at more deeply, he really is trying to safeguard a precious relic of all that he has lost, and longs for still...

Secondly, I think I can deal with many of the observations by saying that this work does give an insight into the relationship between Palpatine and Ivo. They cordially despise each other. Palpatine because Ivo is a threat, but one who is too useful to even think of eliminating, and Ivo because eliminating Palpatine and avenging his father would require him to kill his friend, Anakin. So, they muddle through with Ivo avoiding Coruscant and the Emperor whenever possible, and the Emperor devising ways to keep Ivo out of the way of his plans.

Dorme, of course, has the luxury of acting more directly on her feelings by always being 'ill' or the like when the Emperor is around.

Finally, I did set out as more than one of you noted to explain some things...things like, Ivo's abnscence from ROTJ, why Hapes was conquered by the Kalinadians, and how Dorme came to have a certain holoprojector to give to Anakin's children.

Of course, I also wanted to give one more glimpse of Ivo trying to tell Anakin that all he had to do to save himself was to remember that love and hope both survived, and that despair can be easily defeated by them.

I thank you all again for your wonderful response.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.