main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends A Lesson [OC, Bastila, one-shot]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by SunriderJazz, Dec 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SunriderJazz

SunriderJazz Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2009
    Title: A Lesson
    Author: SunriderJazz
    Timeframe: KOTOR
    Characters: Alastare [Revan], Bastila
    Genre: Action, Humor
    Summary: The young Alastare learns some lessons about lightsaber combat from a harsh taskmaster of a teacher in Bastila.

The blade thumbed to life in his rough, coarse hands, energy coursing through the bantha leather-laden, metal handgrip and up through the pommel, aqua blue light cascading over and around him. He thought he might have to instinctively wince, but it was more of a calm blue then a raging blue and he was quite thankful for this as he peered at the blade of energy now exuding from the technology clasped within his fingers. A smile that tugged at the corners of his lips, something he could not help at this point for he felt like a little child on his Life day opening presents from his mother and father.

?Done yet, Alastare?? A high, dignified voice asked from what seemed miles away. The tone was a bit harsh, but sounded a bit amused and he fell out of the reverie caused by the blade and peered over his right shoulder at the source. He sighed in exasperation and a bit of annoyance. He despised his full name and its noble sounding nature, for he was much more accustomed to? things of the oh-not-so-noble nature such as dealing with two rival gangs, trudging through sewage and who-knew-what-else to save a certain Jedi hostage, and, finally but the most spectacular of all, escaping from a planet being bombarded from space by a fleet of Sith. What a life.

?You know I hate it,? Alastare said, annoyed, ?when people call me that, Bastila.?

The raven-haired Jedi padawan, who had been that certain hostage back on Taris, stared at him with, surprisingly, not annoyance but amusement. Her hands on her hips, a smile spread wide across her full lips, she nodded at him then up at the blue lightsaber in his hands. ?Your curiosity rivals that of a youngling, Alas.? She said, in almost a teasing tone, with certain emphasis upon the name he preferred. ?Which is what you are. It might take you a while to get used to using this type of blade.?

?It?s not like I haven?t used a blade before,? Alastare mentioned, ?if you remember.? He had been one of the better swordsmen in a Republic fleet where most of the soldiers preferred the long-range capabilities of a blaster than closing in on an opponent with a weapon that seemed somewhat out-of-date in this day and age.

?Using a lightsaber is different. It is a weightless weapon, Alas. Any non-Jedi attempting to use the weapon would find themselves off-balance and at the mercy of any Jedi, even a youngling, in seconds,? she retorted in that lecturing tone Alastare was so used to now. Why had he even agreed to her as his teacher? Oh, that was right. He hadn?t. More or less, the two shared some sort of bond through the Force, whose mysteries Alastare was still trying to penetrate.

He sighed in exasperation, lowering his hands, and the weapon, near the top of his navel, the point of the weapon angled. ?Let?s just get this done and over with, Bastila,? he taunted with a half-smile, ?and maybe I?ll show you I?m not so much of a youngling.?

?You?re just going to rush in like that? Very un-Jedi like,? she said, her left hand rising to stroke a few stray bangs of hair out of her forehead, ?but if you must.? The lightsaber in her right hand sprung to life, a yellow blade that resembled molten gold stuck in place, continually circulating. She almost seemed? disinterested.

The slightest bit of anger rose in him and he charged, a rebellious yell emanating from his depths, at full speed, his bare feet impacting the soft mats below only slightly. Three meters in, he began his backswing, bringing the blade around his head. Two meters in, he had reached the end of his backswing. One meter in, he whipped the blade around, expecting to meet her head. But, he hit nothing. ?Is this really how Republic soldiers fight? Honestly, Alas, I?m quite disappointed,? she teased but from below him, in a crouching position with her blade pointed

2. mujapple-juicey

mujapple-juicey Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2008
  3. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    I like this Revan a lot. He's got a fun attitude in your narration. I never really thought about how hard it would be for Bastila to be a teacher. I can appreciate this one a lot as I'm learnign to be a teacher of sorts myself. Well done!

4. SunriderJazz

SunriderJazz Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2009
    mujapple-juicey: Thank you! :D

SoA: Thank you! In my eyes, I've always seen Revan as kind of a rebellious sort of character with a little fire and attitude, no matter if they're a man or woman. In this piece, I tried to focus on the relationship between teacher and student, between Bastila and Revan, without really describing it. I think I've done that.

Thanks again, you two!

- SunriderJazz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.