main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Letter to His Mother -Rebel OCs, one-shot Author Replies 4/14

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Laine_Snowtrekker, Apr 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    Title: A Letter to His Mother
    Author: Laine_Snowtrekker
    Genre: One-shot, I do believe
    Characters: OCs
    Disclaimer: Not my sandbox.

A Letter to His Mother

"I can't do it. It's a letter with no place to go."

"Yes, you can. It's all right."

"It's a letter to his mother. She's supposed to read it, not me."

"She can't read it, so you're the next best person."

"Yeah, I guess."

"He would have wanted you to."

"You sure?"

"You're his best friend."

"Was. He was suprised that we ever became friends in the first place."

His hands shook as he opened the packet and pulled the contents out. A couple of the items were holos that he'd taken, of Daniel dressed in formals at a phony Alderaani embassy; of Daniel and Audrey dancing at some welcoming dinner at said mock embassy; of Sten and Daniel, grinning like fools, arms slung over each other's shoulders; and of the three of them, standing at the front counter of said faked-up embassy.

"I should never have left him," Sten said.

"If you had disobeyed, you'd both be dead right now," she said.

He shrugged as he looked at the next item--two thick stacks of paper. One looked like a journal of sorts, and the other was a pages-thick letter stuck in an envelope. The directions To Mrs. Benjamin Dantre, of Alderaan could be clearly seen, albeit scrawled across the envelope.

"Y'see," he said. "It's a letter for his mother. Not me."

"Read it, Sten."

"Is that an order, Commodore?"

"I suppose it is, Lieutenant."

Sten opened the envelope and withdrew the letter. "I think I know what this is about," he said, smoothing the pages out on one knee.

"He was tired of lying to her?"

Sten nodded. "He was."

"It must have been important to him, to have written it on flimsy."

"Audrey, if I had family to tell, I'd tell them with my own handwriting, too."

"You're stalling."

"I'm afraid of what it says."

"Let's read it together."

"All right."

"Dear Mom--(it read...)

Maybe you've already looked at the holos. But they're fake. We staged them. We're wearing costumes, and that embassy doesn't even exist. Hell, that planet doesn't even exist. I don't work in some Alderaani embassy on a far-off planet--I've never worked in some Alderaani embassy on a far-off planet. I've spent the last four years working in the Intelligence Department of the Rebellion. But maybe you'd already figured out that I wasn't an embassy aide. I mean, you're Mom.

The first thing you'll think is 'But, Danny, it's so dangerous'. I won't say it isn't. Because it is. We face danger every day--whether it's the danger of being found out, or of being betrayed, or of being killed, or just being downright bored between missions. The second thing you'll think is that I've betrayed everything that you and Dad ever taught me.

I'm truly sorry that I've lied to you. At first I didn't want to let you know, for fear that the Empire would find out, and use it to my disadvantage. Then it just became a habit. The first thing that you and Dad taught me was to be honest in all things, so it hurt every time that I sent you monies marked "Embassy Aide". I knew differently, but I knew that the money would help you out. Lying is an integral part of my job--but I'm sick of telling my family lies. At least when they can know some truths. None of this justifies it, I know. But I hope that you can understand why I did it. I hope that you can forgive me.

But I'm not sorry of the role I chose for myself in this war. It's the right thing to be doing. It's the right cause. You know me. I couldn't just sit around behind some desk and let someone else fight my battles. I couldn't let the Empire get away with the atrocities that they've done. They took Dad from us--then lied about it. They've taken so much freedom and so many lives. Everything good and decent in me--placed there by you and Dad--well, they just couldn't allow it. I had to do something, however small.

What the Emperor has done and is doing is

2. dralksakrak

dralksakrak Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2006
    I like it.

Sweet and short

very nice

[face_peace]

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    VERY touching! :_|

I have a feeling about this next mission--a sort of uneasy dread that's settled into me, and I can't shake it. It's worrying me--and I know that all I'll do is shove it aside and do my duty. I should have written this long ago--and I won't have a chance to send this until I get back from this next mission. It's a routine recon--I shouldn't be long. I'll send it as soon as I've finished my debriefing on my return to the base. Have to stay optimistic, you know.

When you stand in our back garden and stare at the stars, think of all of us who're fighting for the galaxy, for freedom's cause.

I love you, Mom. Send my love to the kids. Tell Jalyn that I love her twenty-two more than whatever she says. Hugs and kisses to you all.

Love,

Danny."

=D=

4. SECRETSISTER

SECRETSISTER Jedi Master star 8

Nov 18, 2001
    Oh, geeze, Laine. After the first two...now this one. I still want to cry. I'm glad Daniel never knew, though.

*sniff*

Well done, Admiral. A good story, a heartfelt letter, true friendship. It's all there. Congratulations.

5. Laine_Snowtrekker

Jul 8, 2003
    dralksakrak: Thanks!

VaderLVR64: Thanks, your modliness!

Lissa: Thanks, Boss. I'm glad he never knew, either.

Any more feedback?

6. Blade_of_Silver

Blade_of_Silver Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2007
    Sorry that it took me nearly 24 hours to catch this.

Wonderful work as always. :)

She told me, "Don't be such a stormtrooper." (You know, the Emperor's 'finest' coudn't hit the broadside of a bantha, and I've seen a bantha. ...

^ I liked that bit. ^

Keep up the good work.

-Blade

7. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    Oh, so sad...I liked it! I'm interested in these characters a lot. The way you use them like old friends, they seem very well rounded, even though you've kept descriptions to a minimum - works really well!

8. Laine_Snowtrekker

Jul 8, 2003
    Blade: I'm glad you liked that bit--it was meant to be funny. :)

Skatey: Yeah, who knows? I might end up writing more about the three before this mission.

Thanks to everyone who has posted thus far.

Any other feedback? Please?

9. Zandoran_Celix

Zandoran_Celix Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    Great!

Absolutely, heart felt. You've captured emotion so well here. I could "feel" the sadness as I read this. Then I "felt" the swelling of pride in Sten and audrey. How both would fight this war for Daniel.

wonderful job.

10. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    I want to hear more about these three :) You are doing a great job Laine.

*could picture herself there, hearing the letter, and wanting to fight for Daniel*

11. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    It really is a great one, with a scense of how beaten the two are at the loss of their friend Daniel. And how after reading the letter it changes nothing yet everything, nothing in how they felt for Daniel, except glad he never knew, and everthing in how and why they will fight the war.

Bravo, you have given depth in the changing point of their stories. Whatever they may be. Well done.

12. Tatooine_Ghost

Tatooine_Ghost Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2006
    that was so amazing. loved it.

13. Laine_Snowtrekker

Jul 8, 2003
    Zan: Thanks. That was one of my intentions.

Earwen: There may be more about these three. I'm not sure. It'll have to come to me. But thanks!

Mitth: Thanks for the compliment, friend. It's supposed to be subtle, I think.

Tatooine_Ghost: Thanks!

14. Laine_Snowtrekker

Jul 8, 2003
    I'm going to up this. If you lurked before, please comment!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.