main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Light from a Window - Obi-Wan, AU, vignette, inter-trilogy - artwork by Gina

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Jun 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: A Light from a Window
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Obi-Wan
    Summary: A prisoner finds comfort in the smallest things.
    Note: This vig was inspired by a photo taken by my good friend Gina, the same photo she used in this gorgeous cover. Thank you, Gina, for everything. :p

[image=http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/MamaVader/ACell.jpg]

A Light from a Window

He sits sometimes and listens for the sound of rushing water or the faraway trill of a bird?s song, anything that belongs to beyond the four walls that surround him. Often he waits in vain, but he finds a simple comfort in straining to hear that elusive proof that a world still exists outside his cell. He is a patient man in an eternal cause, so he is content to sit.

And wait.

There is a small window in the ceiling of his cell and it allows a few precious beams of light in on sunny days. He is allowed the window because his captors see only that it lets in the wind and the cold. If they guessed he took joy from it, they would move him to a windowless room, and he would see the light no more.

It is a double-edged blessing, that window, but he concentrates only on the light that it affords him. For a small space of time he can let the light and the warmth bathe his face and remember what it was to be a free man and feel the sun and the wind and the rain on his flesh. They are bittersweet memories, but he does not hide from them. Instead, he cherishes each and every one, nurtures them as carefully, and when he is done, he tucks them away safely to savor on another day.

On a small, crude shelf, he has collected some stones. Only he can see their beauty, but each of them speaks to him in some way, so he gazes at them and draws on the deepest reserves of peace within him. They reverberate in the Force, and he finds it odd that they should have merely been littered around his cell.

The Force is as merciful as it is unpredictable, he often thinks as he finds solace in their gentle power.

Sometimes, when the light warms his face, he whispers his secret. ?I am Obi-Wan Kenobi?? He cannot help but smile at this small triumph. He has bested them again and they do not even suspect it.

He is forbidden to have a name. Here he is simply prisoner 212257.

The walls listen closely, however, keeping his secret in their cool, thick depths. He is still Obi-Wan, no matter what the guards tell him he is.

The days pass with aching slowness, and the years stumble on, but still he endures. It is not in his nature to surrender, so he simply bears the unbearable and waits for the day when his burden will be lifted by a power greater than his own.

His jailers mock him, but even as they taunt him, there is something in the prisoner?s innate dignity that shames them. He sees it in their eyes as they fling their insults and he smiles, knowing this his serenity merely robs them of their own.

He does not hear their cruel words, nor feel their kicks and blows. His mind is elsewhere, in a place and time far away as he lifts his face up to that fragile beam of light.

The light is his companion and savior.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The stone walls are cold, even during the heat of the day, but he has never complained at the discomfort. For years, he has shivered and trembled, huddled up beneath that tiny, hopeful beam of light. It warms and soothes him, giving him light and warmth when he needs it most.

Now, however, he is burning, a fire is raging inside of him that makes him shudder on his cot and cry out to those he has loved and lost. Names of those long dead escape his lips at last, names he has not spoken in fifteen long and terrible years.

?Siri!? Her name echoes around the small, stone cell and when he opens his eyes, she is there, standing in the corner, gazing at him sadly. She looks just as she has in his dreams, and he is pleased that he has not forgotten a single detail. His memory has been as faithful and true as his heart.

He smiles, for even in the midst of his suffering he can feel joy at her presence

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Rip out my heart why don't you?!?!?! :_|

Loved that he saw the two people in his life that he loved the most. But to be all alone when he dies.... how very sad.

Great job.

3. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Beautiful.

It is in this very moment that Obi-Wan comprehends another truth.

Anakin was never his to lose.

I love how Obi-Wan never breaks. He stays true and continues to grow, even if the truths he learns are bitter ones. The ending is brilliant, how forgiveness is the most powerful entity there is.

4. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    meep ... [face_plain] :( :_|

beautiful

sad

deep.

*sigh*@};-

p.s. awesome awesome artwork.

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I can't write through the tears - this is magnificent, a triumph and a tragedy of the soul.

6. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    :_|

Wow... stunning and beautifully tragic. :_| Where are my tissues when I need them? *sniffles*

A masterpiece, Kim! @};-

7. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    The day dawns again and light streams in through the window, sending its gentle warmth over an empty cot.

:_| :_| :_|

If I had to try to pick my absolute favorite part, I'd just be copying and pasting the entire piece. But I think this is such a poignant and powerful ending. You know how much I love this viggie, and I'm glad to see it posted. It's beautiful, powerful and heartbreaking. Stunning work, K!

Bravo!!! =D= =D=

8. Lisbev

Lisbev Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2008
    @};- BEAUTIFUL

but OOUUCHH!!!! :_| SOOOO SAAADDD. :_|

Poor Obi :_| ... but I'm glad he finally found peace. @};-

9. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

A light from yon window breaks, tis the sun rising from the east.[face_peace]
    and Obi-Wan has risen to another place.:cool:

Beautiful=D=

10. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    I liked it all, beautiful and wonderous in the telling.

Sometimes, when the light warms his face, he whispers his secret. ?I am Obi-Wan Kenobi?? He cannot help but smile at this small triumph. He has bested them again and they do not even suspect it.

He is forbidden to have a name. Here he is simply prisoner 212257.

The walls listen closely, however, keeping his secret in their cool, thick depths. He is still Obi-Wan, no matter what the guards tell him he is.

That was good. To everyone but the walls and himself, he is known by a number... wow.

Well done and thank you for the story. :) I liked it. Really, really liked it.

11. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    :_|:_|:_|:_|

How I hate the thought of Obi rotting away in a prison cell.

Though I loved that he managed to find small joys in the simplest of things.

Great job on this

=D= =D= =D= =D=

12. little_miss_jedi

little_miss_jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 6, 2005
    Do you take pleasure in bringing us all to tears? :_|

That was heartbreaking. Brilliant!

very well done! *sniffs*

13. bobafett15

bobafett15 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2008
    2 questions- Who is Siri? How am I ignorant of this?

Very well written, and it was deep, but...i'm just not a deep kinda guy. I can appreciate great writing, though, so despite my lack of sesitivity, I liked it.

14. bobafett15

bobafett15 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2008
    Ohter questions-why didn't he break out? What is a vignette?:confused:

15. Jixa

Jixa Jedi Youngling

Jun 28, 2008
    Heartbreaking. :_| @};-

It was a wonderful portrayal of the essence of who Obi-Wan is. Despite his isolation and hopeless situation, he clung to who he was. You really captured the strength of his character. And I thought this was a perfect ending: The day dawns again and light streams in through the window, sending its gentle warmth over an empty cot.

Great work.

16. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
  17. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    That was very powerful. =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.