main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - ST A Light in the Dark- Kylo Ren, Luke post TLJ- Poetry Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by NobodyIX, Mar 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. NobodyIX

NobodyIX Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 19, 2018
    Title A Light in the Dark
    Timeframe: Post TLJ
    Characters: Kylo Ren, Luke Skywalker
    Summary: Kylo Ren encounters his former Master.

This is part of the Poetry Inspiration Challenge. My poem was Eldorado by Edgar Allan Poe. I was inspired by the search for the unobtainable.

“Eldorado,” by Edgar Allan Poe

Gaily bedight,
    A gallant knight,
    In sunshine and in shadow,
    Had journeyed long,
    Singing a song,
    In search of Eldorado.

But he grew old—
    This knight so bold—
    And o’er his heart a shadow
    Fell as he found
    No spot of ground
    That looked like Eldorado.

And, as his strength
    Failed him at length,
    He met a pilgrim shadow—
    “Shadow,” said he,
    “Where can it be—
    This land of Eldorado?”

“Over the Mountains
    Of the Moon,
    Down the Valley of the Shadow,
    Ride, boldly ride,”
    The shade replied—
    “If you seek for Eldorado!”

A Light in the Dark

I know when it happened. The exact moment Skywalker died and was forever gone. I rejoiced at the victory, so hard won. It was the end of something toxic: the last Jedi. A void that only I could fill.

I retreated to my meditation chamber. As I closed my eyes and reached out with the Force, something odd happened. A peace descended on me. An indescribable peace where I saw everything so clearly as if for the first time. It disturbed me and the darkness all at once seemed suffocating. I fumbled with the code key to open the door and get some breath.

I took slow deep breaths as my life careened around me like a kaleidoscope. Images, feelings and thoughts all descended at breakneck speed. I wanted to collapse, but made it back to my quarters, beads of sweat dripping down my neck. Was this some trick by Skywalker? How could it be? He was dead and I was at last victorious .

I looked out the viewscreen at the vast expanse of space before us. The rag-tag Resistance would soon be no more, and I had ascended to the highest rank in the First Order: Supreme Commander Ren.

I smiled at the perfect symmetry the Force had given me. It had taken Snoke to show me the way, but finally I had found the way to control the Force to my own will. The feeling of peace subsided, and I managed to take in a deep breath.

I laid down on my bed and gazed up at the ceiling. Peace was a luxury only for the weak and those who can't control their own destinies. Peace was a luxury I could not afford

"What are you seeking Ben?" The voice came at me from around the room and lacked a distinct source. I jumped up from the bed and put my hand on my lightsaber. I knew that voice. It was Luke Skywalker. I adjusted the comm in the room. Was I hallucinating? I stood turning in circles. The room was now quiet and I relaxed.

It was then that a blue image appeared in my room, at first a white light then taking the form of Luke Skywalker. I ignited my saber and a the red glow did nothing to break the image. The hum seemed deafening in the quiet of my room as I swung it through his torso. Nothing happened, not even a quiver of his form. He only smiled in response.

"You'll never find it," he said over the hum of the blade. "That power you were promised by Snoke? It will never happen."

"Shut up." I shut down my blade and regarded him. That same smug countenance I had encountered on Crait. What did Luke know of power? Power was everything. The one link holding the galaxy in its fragile balance. The Jedi failed to understand this. I smiled, having regained my balance. "Death suits you uncle."

My uncle laughed. "I've missed you Ben. You were my favorite, you know. Always challenging me."

"That didn't work out so well, did it?" I forgot how much I missed his banter, and I sat down somewhat captivated.

He smiled. "Not so much, Listen Ben, I don't have much time." He looked over his shoulder. "The girl, Rey, is in trouble and needs your help."

My uncle was asking me for a favor? I wanted to laugh, but I couldn't. The mention of Rey woke memories that I didn't want to think about. In fact, I buried them deep down. She had fought by my side, rejected me, and in the end spared my life. "Rey is no longer my concern."

My uncle's eyes sparkled. "Is that so?"

I was getting angry and I clenched my fist. "If I see her again, I will kill her. And I will kill everyone in the Resistance." I spat the words at him, but his countenance remained calm.

"That's not what your heart says." With those words, my uncle, my former Master disappeared, and all that was left was my dark room, with a window showing an endless expanse of stars.

I was left again with the emptiness, the darkness, and a little glimmer of hope. I wanted to extinguish the hope but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Not yet. Somewhere out there in the emptiness of space, there was a young scavenger, a nobody, who needed me. And I needed her.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb use of the poem & very compelling portrayal.

3. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    What I really enjoy about this is the fact that I never get the impression that kylo believes his own words. He is so much about posturing and wanting to believe that he is so bad, but still good at heart. It makes one wonder how susceptible he will be to the light side now that snoke is gone. Or will he double down by committing evil acts to prove to himself how evil he is. Disingenuous evil is more pathetic than anything else.

I also very much enjoyed Luke's appearance. Short and sweet, to the point. It was nice to see that, for a moment, kylo recognized that he enjoyed Luke's presence.

It also makes you wonder who kylo really hates. Did he really hate his parents and his uncle? Or does he secretly hate himself for being seduced to the dark side?

I'm glad to see that he's willing to seek out Rey and for the right reasons. Very well done, NobodyIX!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    This pretty much came out of nowhere and being a Kylo afficionada, I am always glad to find a fic that treats him like the complex character he is and not some cold-blooded psychopath. The difference is huge, some people don't even bother to see it, but you have handled it perfectly! =D=

There might be a romantic undernote to this...or there might not be. Can't live with Rey, can't live without Rey. And while it's not completely clear if Luke reached out to Kylo from the afterlife or if that was some sort of a self-reflection that the fallen Jedi would not have been capable of otherwise, that's precisely what I like. We, the readers, are left to decide which one of these things happened...or why not both?

The vision of Luke is speaking in a simple language and telling Kylo everything that he was unable to admit to himself, crashing all of his delusions, but kind of...gently. With kid gloves. Safety scissors.

This part is probably my favourite. Before he learned what was possible, he had to learn what was impossible.

:kylo:

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Once again the fanfiction on this site amazes me. I really loved your use of poetry here. I also thought your description of Kylo’s feelings on Luke’s passing were exactly as Ben would feel.

Very well written!

6. NobodyIX

NobodyIX Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 19, 2018
    I am so behind in my Thank you's! I really appreciate you guys stopping in!

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Thank you so much for reading![:D]

@brodiew When I was thinking about this vignette, I was thinking about your story about Ben Skywalker:.Through A Dusty Lense. I know different Bens :p but I like that you put in that story how the Force affects Ben. It is something that makes him unbalanced, even scared when he taps into it. I was thinking it was the same for Kylo but perhaps those around him don't understand his reaction. It should be a wonderful thing, but for some it is an absolute curse. Thank you for reading!

@Ewok Poet Isn't Kylo fun to write? I'd love to write more with him and Luke and Rey. Love the 'kid scissors':D I'd like to think Luke will influence his nephew from the beyond. At first gently, and then maybe Merlin from Excalibur....'A dream to some.... A NIGHTMARE to others!!!' Thank you EP[face_love]

@Jedi Knight Fett Thanks for stopping in and reading! :D There are so much amazing talent here. The relief at Luke's death will be short lived, I am sure!

:kylo::D

7. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Please, do. MOAR KYLO1!!11!

8. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Very compelling portrayal of Kylo here—and Luke, to, and their thoughts and feelings in the kind of limbo-ish state of affairs following TLJ. You map them both onto the prompt poem in an interesting and unexpected way: the wild, dark Kylo becomes the "gaily bedight.... gallant knight" out on quest, while Luke's ghost is the "pilgrim shadow" warning him that what he's questing for is unobtainable—that the power he is seeking will only take him deeper into "the valley of the shadow." Though this time, the shadowy Luke offers Kylo an all-new quest, one that will ultimately be more fulfilling for him: that of seeking out that young nobody of a scavenger who needs him and whom he knows (but can't quite yet admit) that he needs. For that he won't have to go as far as the "mountains of the moon"—just into his own heart, at least to start with.

The first-person viewpoint is very effective here in highlighting Kylo's emotions (and fears); it brings a lot of immediacy to the portrayal. And your Luke really brought to mind the Luke of the end scenes of TLJ—I could hear Hamill's voice and see his wistful smile as I read.

Wonderful job, and thanks so much for taking part in the challenge—it's great to have this story as part of it! =D=

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    NobodyIX, Ewok Poet and AzureAngel2 like this.