main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST A little commented on plot point.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ThorOdinson, Dec 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThorOdinson

ThorOdinson Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 30, 2014
    When the officer tells Kylo "There was a girl with them" and Ren pulls him across the room into a choke. This, to me, further reinforces the idea that Rey was a youngling at the Jedi temple, but has repressed those memories. Or perhaps even had them repressed?

Please discuss or add to.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Mav Edit: This is something to discuss in the Rey thread. Please continue this discussion there.

jc1138 and The Legions of Lettow like this.
  2. magmd

magmd Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2003
    Yeah, I got the same impression as you. I brought it up in Rey thread...but seems like most people dismissed it. So, I don't know. Like most of my issues with TFA, I am hoping it becomes clear when I read the novel. I know its been hinted at in the novel during fight scene in the snow that he does indeed know her and her powers verify the suspicion. But I don't know if that applies here as well until I read the book, or someone who read the digital version already can chime in.

3. ThorOdinson

Nov 30, 2014
    I loved the movie, but I feel like it was supposed to be 3 hours long but they had to edit it down to 2:16. The FoS podcast says that the novel expands on alot of the breezed over parts.

It's fine for me, because the general audience didn't want more exposition, and those of us that want to obsess have the novelization.

4. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    This is part of the "How can Rey fight with a lightsabre?" question. Because she's had training...

5. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Interesting that when Ren probes her mind, he says that she is thinking of the sea with an island in it. Unless Luke took her theree, perhaps the site of the first Jedi temple, and then dropped her off at Jakku because he had second thoughts of continuing her training,is Ren seeing a possible future for her? And if so, this means she has a strong connection not only to the Force, but also Luke.

Also, her Force abilities could have been latent until the Force awakened. Or she had prior training.

Finally, why does it seem like Ren saved her in the vision?

joelt likes this.
  6. magmd

magmd Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2003
    If they included everything, sure it would have been 3 hours. But I think the movie could have absorbed another 15 min and nobody would complain it was too long...and it would have really helped several of the issues I have with the final edit that would have elevated this installment from a really good star wars movie to awesome star wars movie for me. a 2:45-3 hour version would have been epic star wars movie...but that is pushing it too much for mass audience.

ThorOdinson likes this.
  7. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Rey has been given Force Amnesia by Luke.
    It's The Bourne Identity in Space.

8. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
  9. ThorOdinson

Nov 30, 2014
    I think so. Also the force does have the ability to influence movement, ie blocking blaster bolts. Luke was learning to to the with his eyes closed, ie only the force. Combine that with the fact that combat seems to be moving to a realistic style, and I don't find it hard to believe the force could give her the edge against a severely wounded opponent.

All forms of close quarter combat translate easily to one another, stave to sword for example. It is 90% footwork and body control. Not that it necessarily validates my opinion, but I am a veteran trained to level 4 combatives (highest hand to hand classification), and I practiced MMA after I got out.

Sword fighting is brutal and raw, very rarely graceful.

10. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000
    It's far from being a "little commented plot point" but rather a moment repeated ad nauseum by the Rey Skywalkers. It's a classic example of confirmation bias. It's "R2 woke up because of Rey's presence" again.

The insolence with which Kylo regards Rey before the mind probe ("You, a scavenger...") demonstrates that he doesn't regard Rey to be of any significance, just an annoyance. It's not until she resists him and enters his mind that he considers her significance. The shock and intensity in his voice when he immediately goes to Snoke speaks volumes ("She's strong in the ways of the Force!")

Kylo choked out the officer because he was angry over yet another thing going wrong, another wildcard in the mix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.