main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hou, TX A little Digital Dallas anyone?

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Queenie Amidala, Jun 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Queenie Amidala

Queenie Amidala Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 7, 2000
    Well, Fingorfin and I have been discussing getting a group together to make a day trip up to Plano and catch AOTC once or twice in the only DLP theater in the state of Texas.

For those of you who might not know, these are the theaters that have digital projectors, allowing us to see the movie exactly as George Lucas planned for us to. The picture is clearer, no scratches or blurry mess-ups. I haven't seen AOTC in DLP, but I saw Disney's Monster's Inc., and it was incredible.

Anyway, our plan was to leave early one Saturday and drive up to Dallas. Realistically, the drive takes about 4-5 hours. We would watch the film once or twice and then drive back down to Houston that day, whenever we are ready to leave.

Considering that our next FF meeting is two weeks from this Saturday, on June 22, and this week is short notice, we considered possibly going next Saturday, June 15. This date is flexible, however, if people can make it only on another day.

We would love to make this a group trip, and therefore, the more the merrier.

So, let me know what y'all think!

:)

2. dracula766

dracula766 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2002
    This is a great idea. I think we should do it after the meeting so that we could discuss it then & physically find out who all is interested.

3. Master_Infamous

Master_Infamous Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2002
    I know were it is I been there! Legacy Cinemark off of Legacy and US75.It's a really big theatre. I went when the Scifi Expo came to plano.

4. mikel_antilles

mikel_antilles Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2002
    I have seen the movie twice on the Digital Screen, and I have to say the quality is really nice. I would highly recommend this trip. I have been unable to see it on the regular screen yet, but I want to. Hmmmm....maybe this weekend.

5. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Sounds like a fun idea. The trip will take 4 hours and 15 minutes from the I-45/1960 area to Plano Legacy (with no speeding and no traffic jams, traffic jams are rare on Saturday's in Dallas).

Having said that -- Queenie, I was hoping to get together with the officers on the 15th (really need to meet with the team before our next official FF meeting). Between you and Fingorfin, one of you will be an officer. I don't know if it is too much to ask for you all to put the trip off until the 29th. If you all do decide to go to Plano that day (the 15th), please let me know what alterntive day you can meet with me before the 22nd. The only problem is that if Saturday is out, the officers are going to have to come to Spring for the meeting, as I cannot come down to Houston during the weekday -- with my current work schedule, at least. Or maybe we could do it on that Sunday, the 16th. That might work -- hmmmmm. Anyway, let me know what you all decide and we'll just go from there.

EDIT - Typo king strikes again!!

6. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    Hello, Houston!

If y'all want to meet up with some of the DFW FanForce, let me know and I'll see about getting some of us to join you. We can maybe catch dinner after the showing.

The DLP at the Legacy is worth the drive, though I don't want to blow it all out of proportion, it is a lot clearer and vibrant than the film print.

Not sure how much longer they're contracted to show CLONES, but they were showing it on a small screen (better resolution) in theater 10 and a larger screen (more intense sound) in theater 13.

There were also 2 film prints screening at the theater, so make sure you get tickets for the digital showings.

Anyway, check out the Cinemark Legacy official site for more info.

Lemme know if y'all wanna get together!

Drive safe, see you then!

7. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    on a small screen (better resolution) in theater 10

Ten has a better pic than 13? How much so? That sound is seriously intense in 13, I'd almost recommend 13 just for that reason. I mean, you can feel the clones attack!

8. mikel_antilles

mikel_antilles Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2002
    Thanks for the Input Darth. I would recommened ordering your tickets online before you go.

9. crystala

crystala Jedi Master star 1

May 7, 2002
    I would love to go, but wouldn't be able to do it on the 15th. Since Father's Day falls on my birthday, I'm going to be celebrating it on the 15th instead. If I become secretary I'll have no problem making it to the officer's meeting, but I wouldn't be able to do something for 8+ hours on the 15th hehehhe

10. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    Nabooty_Call, that sounds like a good idea.

11. Queenie Amidala

May 7, 2000
    Thanks, Nabooty. That would be very cool to get together with some of y'all whenever we head up there. We'll let ya know.

David, I was totally not considering the officers meeting. As long as AOTC won't be pulled out of DLP, I don't mind postponing the trip.

I'm going to try and call Legacy and hopefully find out a little more about just that.

12. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    I am sure that we can find a way to work around the officers meeting.

13. BabyPadme

BabyPadme Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2002
    i am hoping in seeing aotc in digital while pollo and i are in LA. Im hoping maybe we can get together with a group down there...they arent a chapter yet....so i think its going to be like....hey, we are in town and looking for people to go see aotc with. anyone want to come?......hopefully we get a group going.
    im so excited about cali, cause its chad's first time in LA....so im going to take him EVERYWHERE! even the dinky little hospital i was born in...hahaha....no, but i will take him to like the Queen Mary, Universal Studios, Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm, and like other little things.....oooohhhhhh....maybe even Lego Land....i heard its soooo dorky but i sooo want to go....Anyone been?

14. DECO_DROID

DECO_DROID Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    we're seeing it in digital tommorow night!

okay, better resolution or more intense sound...too many choices!

i may contact those fans in dfw to see if anyone wants to meet up there, since it doesn't look like we'll be making the
    "official houston road trip viewing". oh well, i guess we'll meet all you guys someday...

15. dracula766

dracula766 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2002
    LEGOLAND!!! HELLZ YEA!!!

I went last year when i took my kid to visit his mom. it's alot of fun if you have little kids with you but the rides arent very thrilling. A good place to go if you are a LEGO fan. Remind me & i'll bring pics to the next meeting.

16. Queenie Amidala

May 7, 2000
    UP!

Yes, I'm shamelessly promoting my trip. :)

Well, anyone?

17. Moontyger

Moontyger Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2002
    I want to go! I may need to ride with someone, but I am not sure yet...

18. FusionBlaster

FusionBlaster Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 17, 2001
    I'm willin to go but I ain't drivin'

19. goldbubbly

goldbubbly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2002
    I shall be driving up the night before, i'll hang out in the area till I meet up with y'all. Can't take anyone with me though. No more seating...

20. Moontyger

Moontyger Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2002
    So, was there any decision as to when exactly this trip would be?

21. DECO_DROID

Mar 13, 2002
    okay guys, let me promote your roadtrip as well. we just got back from seeing aotc in digital saturday night, and now it's kind of sad.....i don't think i can watch aotc on film again. to me, it was like watching a whole different movie, so to go back to a "regular" theater is not something i am looking forward to.

i had already seen aotc four times, so i wasn't expecting to be wowed this much. i saw colors missing on the film, sounds that i never heard before, and so much detail!!!

i know some of you have already experienced this, but for those who haven't, be wary. you may never want to see aotc in houston again!

as for episode 3, if we don't have digital by then, i am going to have to go to plano for the opening. it is that good!!! thank you, george lucas!!!(steps down from soapbox)

22. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    The trip is still scheduled for the 15th. The officers have re-arranged our schedule so that there is no conflict. Queenie is in charge of the trip to Dallas, so if you have any questions, contact her. I'd also advice making sure everyone's on the same page regarding the time of the viewing. You will need to buy your tickets in advanced to avoid sellouts.

Also, I know there are some who cannot make this trip who are interested. That being the case, if there are enough interested in a later trip, please bring it up on our June 22nd meeting.

i saw colors missing on the film

Actually, it is the other way around. Video cannot project the wide color range that film does, as a result, colors look different on video. Did you notice how Padme always looked sunburnt? If that was intential, then they really need to hire a new makeup artists. Also, those yellow lightsabers? There's suppose to be green. In video green + red = yellow, and the red off balance of that scene was generating a yellowish look to some of the blades.

(Darth Stryphe, film purist strikes again... ;) )

23. goldbubbly

goldbubbly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2002
    i can't go on the 15th now, i hope we make a later trip..

24. DECO_DROID

Mar 13, 2002
    film purist stryphe,
    there are too many instances to list, but there was more color in the dlp version when compared to prints at amc, edwards, and tinseltown - i doubt all the prints i've seen were flawed. remember the "white" room on kamino where obi-wan first learns of the clones? on the dlp screen, it was not white, there were many color tints evident. actually, i saw a hint of this at the edwards theater, but not as much as with the digital screening. also, what color was the "shuttle" padme and anakin took to naboo? in dlp, i saw green for the first time.
    maybe, technically, what you are saying is true - i don't know about color projection - but lucas himself has said that the colors are not as true to what he intended without the digital projection format.
    i'm not trying to argue - i'm just surprised that you said that. i thought everyone knew the colors were better in dlp.
    if i'm missing something, please let me know...

25. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Well, when I saw AOTC in DLP, the white room in Kamino looked white to me, and the Senator's ship looked a little golden. It is possible that GL mixed the digital effects to only display properly on a digital screen, most of the color off-balances I noticed were the RL elements such as actors skin tones, clothing, ect (which are also a little off color on the film print, but even more so on DLPs). The green lightsabers where the only FX I noticed that were off.

There are a lot of problems with DLP, a lot. Fortunately most of them don't show up in AOTC, because it's a mostly CGI movie. These flaws don't really effect CGI, unless you're going for an ultra real look. For a list of these problems, and for what I mean by "ultra real" look, send me a PM, or perhaps we can go to Community and start a thread on the topic. I don't want to hijack this thread into a DLP vs. Film debate. I do encourage people to see AOTC in DLP once, because it is an interesting experience, and Corscusant does look better in DLP (and the sound in that theater, oooh -- it's good! Good and LOUD!!).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.