main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends "A Little Faith" (NJO AU, K/J) Chapter 5 up 06 February!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Dantana Skywalker, Jul 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Yeah, yeah, another story from me. Deal with it. :p And I know, I need to post on "When The Tide Comes", "Not Of This Fold", and "The Best-Laid Plans". I will . . . I just need to do this.

[b]Title:[/b] A Little Faith
    [b]Author:[/b] DantanaSkywalker
    [b]Timeframe:[/b] NJO; "Balance Point" AU
    [b]Characters:[/b] Jaina Solo, Kyp Durron, Han Solo
    [b]Genre:[/b] angst
    [b]Keywords:[/b] Jaina Solo, Kyp Durron, K/J
    [b]Summary:[/b] What if Jaina had permanently lost her sight in "Balance Point"?
    [b]Notes:[/b] Not mine, obviously. Title of the story comes from "Have A Little Faith In Me" by John Hiatt

[b][u]Dramatis Personae[/u][/b]

Jaina Solo, Jedi Knight (female human)
    Han Solo (male human)
    Leia Organa Solo (female human)
    Jacen Solo, Jedi Knight (male human)
    Kyp Durron, Jedi Master (male human)
    Droma (male Ryn)
    Luke Skywalker, Jedi Master (male human)
    Mara Jade Skywalker, Jedi Master (female human)
    Anakin Solo, Jedi Knight (male human)
    Nom Anor (male Yuuzhan Vong)
    Tsavong Lah, Warmaster (male Yuuzhan Vong)
    Randa (male Hutt)

[i]When the road gets dark
    And you can no longer see
    Let my love throw a spark
    And have a little faith in me

-- John Hiatt, "Have A Little Faith In Me"[/i]

[b]--Chapter One--[/b]

Her fingers fumbled with the protective headgear she'd been wearing for weeks. She'd had it since they'd pulled her out of the bacta tank. Now it was time to remove it and see the world again.

Jaina Solo lifted the device from her head, but shook so badly that her twin brother had to take it from her.

"Thanks, Jasa," she murmured.

"You sure you're ready for this?" their father asked.

"Yes, Dad. I want to see again."

She smiled and opened her large, brown eyes. There was no sign of the former clouding that had marred her eyes. She blinked, a puzzled expression crossing her pretty face.

"What?" Jacen asked.

Jaina's hand trembled and she latched on to her father. "Daddy . . . why can't I open my eyes?"

Han caught her as sorrow overwhelmed him. "Honey . . . they [i]are[/i] open."

Her breath hitched. Jaina sat down on the chair she'd just risen from. Tears filled her unfocused eyes.

She was blind.

-----

Han watched Jaina sleeping and wished that her mother were here. Jaina needed Leia . . . and Leia needed to know what had happened to her daughter.

"Dad? What are we going to do?" Jacen was fidgetting nervously, wringing his hands. Being Jaina's twin, he felt her distress as if it were his own.

"I dunno," Han admitted.

He sighed and turned away from Jaina. "She's never gonna fly again. And unless there's some Jedi extrasensory thing . . ."

"We could . . . well . . . they have implants-"

"No!" Han exclaimed vehemently. "Her eyes stay where they are!"

Jacen nodded quickly.

Feeling helpless, Han slumped into a chair. "I can't believe this."

The flap of their tent opened and Anakin, Han's youngest child, came in. He smiled brightly. "Hi!"

Han's mood lightened only a degree. "What are you doing here?"

"Well, I was up on one of the orbital cities with Uncle Luke and Aunt Mara, and Uncle Luke sensed there was something wrong, so he sent me down here . . . [i]Is[/i] something wrong?"

Jacen glanced over at Jaina.

Anakin's expression changed to one of worry. "What's happened? Have you heard from Mom?"

"No, we . . . we haven't. It's about Jaina." Han felt like crying. He wasn't a Jedi, but he still felt every bit of his daughter's pain and there was absolutely nothing he could do for her.

"Jaina's blind," Anakin said quietly. "Isn't she?"

Silently, Han nodded.

The youngest Solo moved to sit on the edge of Jaina's cot. "She needs more Jedi. And maybe someone to, I don't know . . . keep her safe?"

"I'd suggest Aunt Mara, since Jaina's her apprentice, but . . ." Jacen trailed off. "I think she'd got enough to worry about right now."

Han's hazel eyes suddenly widened.

"I know just the person!"

[hr]

Dana

2. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    *jumps up and down*

A story! A story!
    I am so addicted...

And I have a feeling I know who this "person" is... ;)

3. val solo

val solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 22, 2000
    Ah, yes...just the person...;) But who's going to protect her from him???? :D

I'm in!

4. The_Jedi_Ambyr-Rose

The_Jedi_Ambyr-Rose Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    I know! I know! lol This looks great!

Like val said, I'm in.

5. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    djcati - *jumps up and down*

A story! A story!
    I am so addicted...

Of course you are! :p

And I have a feeling I know who this "person" is...

Geee . . . I wonder, who could it possibly be?

val solo - Ah, yes...just the person...;) But who's going to protect her from him????

Who says she needs protection?!

I'm in!

Good! :p

The_Jedi_Ambyr-Rose - I know! I know! lol This looks great!

Thanks. :)

Like val said, I'm in.

:D

Dana

6. green_eyes

green_eyes Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 20, 2004
    WOW what a great start. Anakin knew as soon as he looked at Jaina sleeping that she was blind. I love that bond Jacen and Anakin have with Jaina. Poor Han he must feel totally helpless.

Humm, I wonder who the Jedi to protect Jaina is?

I'm in too.

*green_eyes*

7. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Yay! New story!

Heh, I wonder who that person to protect her is going to be? He he he...delightful, to say the least.

Of course, I'm hooked!

~Abby~

8. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    green_eyes - WOW what a great start. Anakin knew as soon as he looked at Jaina sleeping that she was blind. I love that bond Jacen and Anakin have with Jaina. Poor Han he must feel totally helpless.

Anakin is very perceptive. We'll be getting more of his perceptiveness later. :)

Humm, I wonder who the Jedi to protect Jaina is?

Hee hee!

I'm in too.

And you're never getting out! Mwaahahaha!

Abby - Yay! New story!

Yay!

Heh, I wonder who that person to protect her is going to be? He he he...delightful, to say the least.

Well, it's ME, for one. And how can it be delightful when I've made ONE POST?! :p

Of course, I'm hooked!

You'd better be!!

Dana

9. MiaTieska

MiaTieska Jedi Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    Oh dang... can't wait for more!

I think I know who just the person is too, LOL.

-Mia

10. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    MiaTieska - Oh dang... can't wait for more!

Dang? Why dang?

I think I know who just the person is too, LOL.

I think EVERYONE knows! :p

And because I'm completely bored and have already updated "When The Tide Comes" . . . I think I'm going to go ahead and post chapter two of this.

[b]--Chapter Two--[/b]

Jaina's world wasn't completely dark. She could see a bit of light, but that was it. It was like being outside, at night, just as the sky began to lighten and wasn't quite black.

She kept hoping, with each day that passed, that her vision would improve, but when nearly a week had passed with no change whatsoever, the reality began to set in.

Someone had to guide her to the portable refresher, which meant that she had to communicate her personal needs, which was embarrassing. She became easily disoriented, and so couldn't go far from the tent on her own. Privacy no longer existed for her.

She could sense her father and brothers in the Force, and somewhere out there were her aunt and uncle, and her mother. But she wasn't good at judging how close or far away beings were, and sometimes walked into them.

She'd taken to wearing a strip of dark cloth wrapped around her head, because sometimes bright light hurt. Anakin found her a stick that she could use to feel her way around, which was very sweet of him.

Jaina was sitting at the table, sullenly munching on a ration bar, when she heard the tent flap move and felt someone enter. She'd taken the blindfold off, because she didn't need it in the tent. "Jasa?"

Her visitor stopped, feeling a bit disconcerted when she looked to his right, not [i]at[/i] him. "No, Jaina. I'm not Jacen. Can't you tell the difference?" His tone was light, bantering, but he'd obviously said something wrong, because she started crying.

"Go away, Kyp," she said, choking on the words.

It was then that Kyp Durron realised why the Solos were acting so oddly. He sat next to her, pulling up a chair, and took her hands.

"Jaina, I'm sorry. I didn't know . . . Are you all right?"

"[i]Other[/i] than the fact I can't [i]see[/i]?" She hiccuped. "I've lost just about everything. My wingmate died, I lost my X-wing and my droid, I don't know where Mom is, and I'll never be able to fly again . . ."

She was crying in earnest now. Kyp didn't know what to do. He'd never had to deal with crying women before. For lack of anything else to do, he put his arms around her, pulling her onto his lap like he'd done when she was four and had tripped, scraping her knee raw.

"It'll be okay. It will. Maybe it'll just take time."

Jaina let out a shuddering sigh, feeling oddly calmed by his presence. His sense was stronger in the Force than her brothers--she suspected they were dampening their sense for some reason, probably because they didn't want her to sense their worry--and it was comforting. "You think so?"

"Yeah," he said, although he honestly had no idea one way or the other.

----------

"You called me here to take care of her, didn't you?" Kyp demanded.

Han slowly pivoted, suddenly looking a great deal older than fifty-seven. "Not exactly. I thought . . . I can't help her, kid. I don't have a clue what to do."

"Why'd you pick me? Why not Mara? Mara's her master."

Han opened his mouth, closed it, tried again. "You know what it's like to live in darkness. I thought . . . you could help her. Somehow."

That hadn't been what Kyp was expecting. He made several attempts at words, but nothing came out for a handful of moments. Finally, he sighed. "Han, Kessel wasn't the same as being blind."

"No, but you learned to adapt to the darkness. She's not adapting, Kyp. She's floundering. And I can't help her. Jacen and I have this entire settlement to look after. Anakin's already gone back to Luke and Mara. You're all I've got."

Kyp stared at him for a long moment, then sagged. "I'm surprised you didn't pull out the 'You're a pain in the neck and you owe me' card."

"I still might."

Kyp glanced over to his shoulder, where Jaina wa

11. val solo

val solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 22, 2000
    Love it so far! Keep it coming. :) This should be interesting. I doubt she'll be so accepting of his help. ;)

12. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    :D

And how can it be delightful when I've made ONE POST?! - delightful that Kyp would be the one to take care of her :p

My favourite parts:

For lack of anything else to do, he put his arms around her, pulling her onto his lap like he'd done when she was four and had tripped, scraping her knee raw. - awwww

"You'll do this for me?" Han asked.

"No." Kyp shook his head. "No, I'll do it for her."
    - more awwww

Okay, going to bed now.

~Abby~

13. djcati

Mar 20, 2004
    Read this morning, but with three hours sleep I was unable to come up with any reply other than "yay"...
    *falls over*

. . .
    um... yay!

No, wait, I can do better than that, I swear....

OK, no, I can't. uh..
    Good stuff! Can't wait to read more. More K/J... yes... addicted...

*falls over again*

14. The_Jedi_Ambyr-Rose

The_Jedi_Ambyr-Rose Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    Very good! Lots of awwing.

15. Babi_Tahiri

Babi_Tahiri Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2003
    Awwww.. this looks good. Why don't people tell me when they start new fics. You know I'm addicted to your fics! Anyways, can't wait for more.

~^~ Tahiri ~^~

16. SaberBlade

SaberBlade Jedi Master star 3

Sep 19, 2001
    :[face_sigh]:

Another obsession worthy fic. That makes what, three at the same time now? And two of them are yours?

Love it, Dana. I like the parallel between Kessel and blindness, and I like how Kyp's staying for her.

Was this the one you sort of told me about a couple months ago?

-Saber

17. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    I love this! Yay!

But who's going to protect her from him???? LOL! Amen!

Aw...this is going to be so cute; Kyp taking care of her...and her learning to trust him! :D ;)

Is it too soon to ask for more?

18. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Ooh, neat twist!! Lemme know when you put up more installments, Dana, I wanna keep up with this one. :D

19. Mirax-Jade

Mirax-Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2003
    ::slowly revives self after months of hibernation...and wakes to find NEW DANA FIC! OMG***BBQ!!::

Ahhhhh!! I love it. ::runs around in fangirlish circles, squealing...fan..girlish..ly.::

This is wonderful, like all of your other works. :) I cannot wait for more.

Beautiful.

:)Kay :)

Sorry, that acronym isn't allowed here.

20. Flaming_Sword

Flaming_Sword Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2003
    Man for a minute there, I thought that there was only one post!!!! So glad to find more than one....maybe another one soon????? Great job by the way....(and I found it through the Index, not just by accident, I just saw that it says 'two posts'so I'm not crayz or anything.....) I didn't make and sense did I?

Flame

21. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    val solo - Love it so far! Keep it coming.

Thanks. :)

This should be interesting. I doubt she'll be so accepting of his help.

Um . . . no. [face_devil]

Abby - :D And how can it be delightful when I've made ONE POST?! - delightful that Kyp would be the one to take care of her

. . . okay, you have a point. :p

My favourite parts:

For lack of anything else to do, he put his arms around her, pulling her onto his lap like he'd done when she was four and had tripped, scraping her knee raw. - awwww

Although, he's going to notice she's not four anymore. :D

"You'll do this for me?" Han asked.
    "No." Kyp shook his head. "No, I'll do it for her." - more awwww

Picking out my favourite parts . . .

Okay, going to bed now.

Up late, are we?

djcati - Read this morning, but with three hours sleep I was unable to come up with any reply other than "yay"...
    *falls over*

Why'd you only have three hours' sleep?

. . .
    um... yay!
    No, wait, I can do better than that, I swear....
    OK, no, I can't. uh..
    Good stuff! Can't wait to read more. More K/J... yes... addicted...

Heh, thanks.

*falls over again*

Start going to sleep sooner! :p

The_Jedi_Ambyr-Rose - Very good! Lots of awwing.

Yes, I've noticed. :D

Babi_Tahiri - Awwww.. this looks good. Why don't people tell me when they start new fics. You know I'm addicted to your fics! Anyways, can't wait for more.

'Cause I'm REALLY lazy when it comes to PMing people about updates. :D

SaberBlade - :[face_sigh]:
    Another obsession worthy fic. That makes what, three at the same time now? And two of them are yours?

Hee hee! That's what I'm here for. :D

Love it, Dana. I like the parallel between Kessel and blindness, and I like how Kyp's staying for her.

Yeah, well . . . I think Han got him right where it counted.

Was this the one you sort of told me about a couple months ago?

Yes.

Jedi_Jaina_Durron - I love this! Yay!

:)

But who's going to protect her from him???? LOL! Amen!

I don't think she'll need much protecting, lol.

Aw...this is going to be so cute; Kyp taking care of her...and her learning to trust him!

:) I'm glad you like. :)

Is it too soon to ask for more?

Nope! :)

Connemara - Ooh, neat twist!! Lemme know when you put up more installments, Dana, I wanna keep up with this one.

Okay. :) And thank you. :)

Mirax-Jade - ::slowly revives self after months of hibernation...and wakes to find NEW DANA FIC! OMG***BBQ!!::

Yay! . . . you should check out the K/J index. There are LOTS of new Dana 'fics. Not to mention Saber 'fics, Jilly 'fics . . . heck, new 'fics from just about everyone.

Ahhhhh!! I love it. ::runs around in fangirlish circles, squealing...fan..girlish..ly.::

LOL!

This is wonderful, like all of your other works. I cannot wait for more.
    Beautiful.

Thanks. :) And more's coming soon. :)

Flaming_Sword - Man for a minute there, I thought that there was only one post!!!! So glad to find more than one....maybe another one soon????? Great job by the way....(and I found it through the Index, not just by accident, I just saw that it says 'two posts'so I'm not crayz or anything.....) I didn't make and sense did I?

Uh . . . yes, there are two posts, Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 . . .

Dana

22. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    More!

[b]--Chapter Three--[/b]

"I thought I told you to go away."

Even if her eyes were unfocused, Jaina's glare was still impressive. And directed at him. She could obviously sense him through the Force, and was looking at him that way. Well, not really *looking*.

"Sorry, I'm on orders to be here."

"From who?" she demanded.

"Your father. He's got this whole place to run, and . . . well, my being here does several things at once. I owe your family a great deal, and since I've disbanded the Dozen to do this . . ."

She looked stricken. "You [i]what?![/i] But Kyp, that's your [i]squadron[/i]!"

Kyp's mouth twisted in an expression he was glad she couldn't see. Yes, it was his squadron. And it reminded him that he could fly and she couldn't. He knew just how much she loved flying.

"Yeah, well, other things are more important. Like you. It's important that you learn to get around and don't feel sorry for yourself."

He took her hand and pulled her out of the tent. "I don't care if you [i]want[/i] me to teach you or not. I'm going to teach you. Now, stand here and be quiet for a moment. Tell me what you sense."

Jaina sighed and gritted her teeth. Even though her eyes were unfocused, her stare was still rather belligerent and impressive. "I'm not going to learn from you, so you might as well pack up and go back to wherever you were before my father summoned you."

"Not going to happen, Jaina. Now tell me what you sense around you."

Grudgingly, Jaina did. She let her eyes fall shut, out of habit, and sighed, reaching out with her senses and tendrils of the Force.

"I sense a lot of lifeforms," she said.

Kyp rolled his eyes. "Obviously. Try to find your father. Where is he?"

"He's with Jacen on a supply run."

"You didn't use the Force to tell that," Kyp said reprovingly.

Jaina folded her arms. "I don't want to do this. It's stupid. I know how to sense with the Force."

"You [i]have[/i] to learn this!" Kyp insisted. "Han and Jacen can't keep looking after you."

She thrust her chin out petulantly. "Maybe I do, maybe I don't. But the last person I want helping me is [i]you[/i]!"

Kyp aimed his finger at her face, though he knew she couldn't see it. "Yeah, well, guess what, your worshipfulness? There [i]isn't[/i] anybody else. I'm doing you a favour. But, hey, if you want to spend the rest of your life being a burden on others and feeling sorry for yourself, getting more and more helpless, [i]fine[/i]!"

Tears welled up in Jaina's eyes and he immediately regretted his words. She turned and stumbled away, tripping over a discarded supply canister. Jaina went down hard, landing on her outstretched arms.

Kyp swore and ran over. He dropped to his knees, reaching for her.

Jaina rolled to her knees and lashed out at him, her foot connecting solidly with his stomach. "Stay away from me!" she cried.

As he fell back into the dirt, Jaina scrambled to her feet and stumbled away, in the opposite direction of her family's tent. Kyp lay on his side, cursing himself.

Slowly, painfully, he stood and went after her.

----------

[i]That's the hard thing about hiding from a Jedi,[/i] Jaina thought, as she felt Kyp approach. [i]You can't.[/i] She hugged her knees harder and ignored him. Or tried to.

One of the female Ryn had taken her in and was currently trying to get Kyp to leave her alone. Then, a familiar voice intruded.

"Hey, you're Kyp Durron, right?"

Kyp's voice, irritated: "Yes, I am. You mind getting out of my way?"

"Han told me you were here. Look, you'll wanna stay far away from Randa the Hutt, he's kind of obsessing over you now."

Ah, yes. Droma, her father's Ryn acquaintance. She couldn't quite call him "friend", but his companionship went a little ways towards filling the gap left by Chewie in Han Solo's heart.

Her father must be so disappointed. Now he had [i]two[/i] useless children, a blind daughter and a son who refused to use the Force.

"Ah, Randa, I remember him. What does he want?"

"He wants to fly in a squadron with you, acc

23. Elfsheen

Elfsheen Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    Ha! This is good! I like the little twist in the Balance Point story and bringing Kyp in!

24. Kyp_Jaina_Jag

Kyp_Jaina_Jag Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2002
    Great idea for a story! I'm loving it so far!

"Yeah, well, guess what, your worshipfulness?

Heehee! Always a good nickname to use!

"You shot your mouth off, didn't you?"

Of course he did!

25. djcati

Mar 20, 2004
    First a distraught young woman, now a glory-seeking Hutt.

This was not a good day.

haha, no, it's not, eh?
    Randa in an X-wing... heh heh...

Good stuff~

and I had 3 hours sleep cause I didn't go to bed until 5... and had to get up at 8.30... -.o;

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.