main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A little question/concern of mine...

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Red_Oktobur, Feb 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red_Oktobur

Red_Oktobur Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 7, 2001
    I've noticed over the past few months...well, since last August, anyway, that when newbies (or marginally new) post their first or second topic with a question, a link to their work, or whatever, I see down at the bottom of their posts, "You may commence the flaming" or "Flame away" or something to that respect.

Why is it that when newbies come here, they feel like they'll be flamed/bashed by others? Shouldn't this not be the situation?

Anyway, a little concern that I had...

"You may commence with the flames." :p

2. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    I agree with cbjedi on this matter. We should educate the Oldies that giving the Newbies a hard time is evil.

3. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm not quite certian that answers his question.

Actually I'm quite certain it doesn't.

He is, if I am translating his runes correctly, asking why new users feel they will be flamed.

I can only guess it's because they're insecure about the "abandon hope all ye who enter here" sign.

4. Red_Oktobur

Dec 7, 2001
    It did a little bit, but I still don't understand why they feel like adding that little tidbit about "flame me now".

5. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

They're just trying to ensure that no one shoots down their idea/thought/feeling.

6. Red_Oktobur

Dec 7, 2001
    So if they didn't say that, then people would flame them? Are you saying that the "flame me" is to make people feel sorry for them, and then they won't?

7. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    cbjedi is right on about this the newbies should be treated with respect because without them this message bord has no future.

8. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Because flaming has always been a part of message boards and they don't want to suffer through it. From what I've noticed here, it rarely happens and when it does, it's dealt with.

Amazing.

9. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I think it's back up, so they can say "hah, see I told you this was going to happen!" and try to laugh it off, to make them selves look better... Or sometimes then they get all mad, saying see I knew you were all mean. Which usually (not always by any means, but usually) is initiated by the poster making an error of some kind.

I've seen this happen a number of times, mostly in JCC.

10. Vader Fett

Vader Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    or maybe they're sometimes just being facetious.

and let's not start making gross generalizations by suggesting that all oldies are "mean". you'd see that some of us are actually pretty nice when you can recognize the difference between joking/teasing and actually being "mean".

11. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

That's a very good point, Vader Fett. That would be like me saying all new users attempt to impersonate older users, when we all know that only a small, sad group of them do that. :)

12. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    GRUPZ PLZ XPLANE Y U HAEVE NO COLERZ PLZ K THX>

13. Vader Fett

Vader Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    yeah, GrippZ, it's one thing to impersonate yourself, but impersonating someone else is not cool.

14. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    I agree with CB.. we should not flame the newbies...

we should wait till we get to know more about them, and then flame them... ;)

this was meant as humor folks, don't try this at home...

15. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    What I don't understand is how the newbies would get the idea in the first place that the oldbies would flame them.

Is this merely a passing fad (more like a joke), or does this reflect on the impressions that newbies have on the culture of the JC?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I think it's just standard-fare for some message boards. If you're a newbie, you get flamed. I don't see any other reason for such preconceived notions.

Amazing.

17. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    It only happens here, from what I can see. Lots of other message boards I go to (or used to go to) treat newbies just fine.

*shrug*

18. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    If they lurk for awhile, as most newbies do, they probably see what happens when a redundant post is made. Many times the author is subtly and not-so-subtly flamed for posting the subject.

I believe, as farraday and griff said that they are making a preemptive strike asking not to be flamed when they assume that most new posters will.

The solution is two-fold. First, people should be a little more tolerant of newbies posting. I often post in their thread that it's redundant along with some brief guidelines on posting new topics. They're new, they're excited and they want to join in the fun.

Secondly, newbies should take a little more time to search the boards and watch the "culture" around here before they jump in and post 20 redundant topics. It's incumbent upon them to make sure that they are responsible members of the boards. That will go a long way to help cut down on the flaming.

19. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Oftentimes those newbies aren't newbies. ;) But I don't like that new members feel that the environment here is such that they should expect the behavior from our members to be flames and bashing.

20. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    The solution is two-fold. First, people should be a little more tolerant of newbies posting. I often post in their thread that it's redundant along with some brief guidelines on posting new topics. They're new, they're excited and they want to join in the fun.

Bravo, Katya. Those are the types of responses I like to see. :)

21. Sar-Tamber-lac

Sar-Tamber-lac Jedi Master star 5

May 24, 2002
    I agree with what Katya said...she posted it before I could get to it, lol...but I have noticed this as well, not just in the YJCC, but also in FF forums. I think, as Katya said, most of them lurk for a while before they actually sign up (I did), and they see what happens to most newbies. How this started, I don't know....I'm just afraid that newbies fell they have to be so concerned with what others will say, that they forget to have fun.

Just be considerate of them, and instead of tearin them down, offer to help them. Every one of us was in that place too. No one came on here fully knowing everything (and if you did, then pin a rose on your nose ;) )...it's just like meeting a new person...unless you're a mean horrible person, you don't automatically tear that person down. Neither should you do it to a newbie. ;) Do unto others as you would have them do to you. :D

22. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I know that some of the "newbies" who say that are actually oldbies returning under new names. Not all, but some. I've gotten PMs from newbies that I've welcomed to the board or whose thread I've had to lock who have told me that they've actually been here before under such-and-such name.

23. Alabak

Alabak Jedi Padawan star 4

May 21, 2001
    3SA is just getting really violent towards "newbies" and the redundant threads they bring with them these days.

Instead of posting links to existing threads, the post ramarks like:
    "*sigh* this is so redundant", and other idiotic remarks.

I suggest that one of the Mods make a thread like this one:

[b][u]What to do when you spot a redundant thread:[/u][/b]

[b]1)[/b] Find an existing thread on the topic, and post a link to it in the redundant thread.

[b]2)[/b] Contact a Moderator, and inform him about the redundant thread.

[b]3)[/b] Post your thoughts on the subject of the thread anyway.

[b]4)[/b] Leave it be.

[b][u]What [color=darkred]NOT[/color] to do when you spot a redundant thread:[/u][/b]

[b]1)[/b] Do NOT post stupid and childich remarks like:

[i]"5....4......3.......2.........LOCK"[/i]

[i]"this thread is meaningless."[/i]

[i]"[sarcasm]what an original and interesting idea[/sarcasm]"[/i]

[i]"*sigh* n00b"[/i]

etc...

[b]2)[/b] Do not post stupid pictures such as the folowing:

[image=http://www.industria.co.uk/images/Thread%20Lock.jpg]
    [image=http://www.hittraffic.com/lock.jpg]

If you do post remarks, or pictures like this, it will result in [b]a 24 hour ban, or worse![/b]
    [hr]

Or something like that, to prevent it from getting worse.

24. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    It's annoying when a perfectly good thread turns to trash because everyone's saying stuff like that. Grrr .... ;)

25. BKK

BKK Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2002
    Actually, I don't think the "newbies in 3SA are being flamed that much, it's the people who have been here for ahwile and should know better IMO. Most of the flaming that goes on in 3SA from what I've seen is in threads that are going to be locked anyway.

That's no excuse I know but the redundancy is getting out of hand. Prime example would be the Bob_Skywalker threads on the first page. I do agree though that the posting of pictures like thread lock and things of that nature are going just a tad to far. Most of the people I know are probably guilty of a mild flame but also give a reason to the author, like this is the wrong forum or providing a link. They flame nice, if you get my meaning. A lot of people in 3SA don't flame in threads that are going to stay open, only in threads that are obviously going to be locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.